Equipment Racks

Comments

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,851
    kharp1 wrote: »
    5q408c6hbm02.jpg

Looking at this one with, a special order with an added shelf. I like the ability to put pieces side by side. Three shelves might be enough, but, I'd rather pay for an extra shelf now and not need it then need it and not have the ability to add one.

I looked at the VTI pieces as well. They make a wide unit labeled a TV stand, but, it's not tall enough. There is an 1/8 inch difference between the audio rack poles and the TV racks, which really sux. Was going to buy one of each and blend them together. I even emailed VTI and they were quick to get back with me letting me know they definitely wouldn't match.

If all I needed was a good basic audio rack I'd hit Doug up for one of the VTI's.

here's one that's on sale for you.
    https://www.audiogon.com/listings/stands-double-width-6-shelf-isolation-rack-2018-01-16-accessories
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    edited January 2018
    Aside from the spikes on each shelf/section looking cool, what is the real world and/or functional difference between having them or not?

BL404SC.jpg

ASOLIDS24BLK.jpg?scale.width=572&scale.height=572&scale.option=noup
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    They have pretty good prices, but, if you decide to go with VTI I would still reach out to Doug and see what he can do for you.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    edited January 2018
    Go for the VTI shelves. Make payments if you have to. i think you'll be happier seeing how you've gone tubular and mono blocks.

1st class affordable shelving for 1st class audio components. ;)

You can't quickly change shelving without the spikes. :(

You have 12 quick ways to configure the spiked one I think. B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Paypal address?
    vmaxer wrote: »
    I’ll sell you a full set of 4 for $9.99, well worth it.

Sorry, cash and carry.......plus shipping of course. B)
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Clipdat
    edited January 2018
    I dont't foresee having to change the shelving configuration very often. But if there is another reason for spikes on each section such as better isolation/vibration reduction, then I'd be attracted to that.

Even with an additional shelf, the VTI is still cheaper than the SolidSteel, so there's that.
    Tony M wrote: »
    Go for the VTI shelves. Make payments if you have to. i think you'll be happier seeing how you've gone tubular and mono blocks.

1st class affordable shelving for 1st class audio components. ;)

You can't quickly change shelving without the spikes. :(

You have 12 quick ways to configure the spiked one I think. B)

• Tony M
    I think the spikes do support the theory of isolation of vibrations getting transferred. ;)
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    VTI racks are very solid. You can fill them with lead shot to further dampen the rack as long as you use silicone sealant on the small holes. You have more color options and combinations with the VTI racks as well. Winner winner chicken dinner!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,342
    edited January 2018
    My last VTI rack I used pipe insulation in the tubes. One time I had a cap pop off and had lead shot everywhere on the hardwood floor. With the insulation method, you can also take some plastic pipe cut to correct length, cap one end, fill them with oil or shot and cap the other end to further deaden/add weight. You can apply some strips of sound deadener to the cross braces.

v06idglgiae2.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Clipdat
    With the VTI racks, what is each shelf sitting on? It's not clear to me how the individual shelves are supported.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    Aside from the spikes on each shelf/section looking cool, what is the real world and/or functional difference between having them or not?

BL404SC.jpg

ASOLIDS24BLK.jpg?scale.width=572&scale.height=572&scale.option=noup

The spikes are for isolation/vibration control.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Thanks Jesse. I'm leaning toward the VTI, just want to make sure I'm making a wise choice.
    F1nut wrote: »
    The spikes are for isolation/vibration control.

• F1nut
    edited January 2018

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Very nice, but very expensive!

• F1nut
    Indeed. Just thought you'd like a look to see what features they have verses what you are looking at to give me a better idea of what is what.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited January 2018
    Here's another, over engineered to the Nth degree.

http://www.audiofast.com/main.asp?idm=73&ids=397&r=0&wersja=1

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I love my solid maple rack from Mapleshade. It weighs 500 lbs empty, and is vibration free regardless of the SPL. You can create your own custom design to fit your need.

http://www.mapleshadestore.com/samsonracks.php

l4xmccftald3.jpeg
    6d87uj24vzvu.jpeg
    978ajiitm92s.jpeg

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Nice. Their stuff is gorgeous and relatively reasonably priced.
  • Clipdat
    It's interesting how each company seems to have their own approach for what they think is the best way to support the shelf. For example, Adona seems to like this way:

al5%20frame%201s.JPG

eris4%20supports%20s.JPG

I wonder if any one particular way is dramatically better than another, in terms of stability.
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,373
    The only issue (it seems) none of the manufacturers deal with is standing waves. Don't really know if anything can be done about those. But the points do seem to isolate the Shelf completely as opposed to having the Shelf attached to the supports.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • Clipdat
    I wonder at which point vibrations from the speakers even come into play. BlueFox mentioned high SPLs. Even when I listen at what I perceive as louder volumes, I can't feel any resonance of vibration leaving my 703s at all, the cabinets themselves and what they are sitting on isn't resonating at all.

My current rack is just physically wobbly from side to side, so I think most of the vibrations it's dealing with would be from me or my wife walking past it or her dancing to a song that she likes when in close proximity to it.
    The only issue (it seems) none of the manufacturers deal with is standing waves. Don't really know if anything can be done about those. But the points do seem to isolate the Shelf completely as opposed to having the Shelf attached to the supports.

• Tony M
    I had a TT on a wobbly table and had rumble feedback BAD. Some guys and or gal told me to get a solid table asap. The new solid table eliminated the rumble. I think the SDA-SRS2's were vibrating that table with low soundwaves.
  • Clipdat
    Oh yeah I see the advantage for TT for sure. My current rack is nowhere near up to the task of supporting a TT.

So that's one benefit of getting a new one, a TT in the bedroom. Win-Win.
    Tony M wrote: »
    I had a TT on a wobbly table and had rumble feedback BAD. Some guys and or gal told me to get a solid table asap. The new solid table eliminated the rumble. I think the SDA-SRS2's were vibrating that table with low soundwaves.

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Clipdat
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I wonder at which point vibrations from the speakers even come into play.

The vibrations on the equipment rack, and on the equipment, come from the speaker sound waves hitting them. Gear is susceptible to the tiniest vibrations, and those vibrations alter the sound. That is why in addition to having a solid, vibration resistant rack, the gear should also be on some type of vibration draining footer. I use Mapleshade Micropoint Brass footers, but there are other vendors and types.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Thanks for the insight. You might have better ears than I do. I don't know if I'd be able to discern/detect a sound wave's vibration/impact on the equipment and the associated negative sound quality.
    BlueFox wrote: »
    The vibrations on the equipment rack, and on the equipment, come from the speaker sound waves hitting them. Gear is susceptible to the tiniest vibrations, and those vibrations alter the sound. That is why in addition to having a solid, vibration resistant rack, the gear should also be on some type of vibration draining footer. I use Mapleshade Micropoint Brass footers, but there are other vendors and types.

• F1nut
    It's all about lowering the noise floor, which is something one doesn't notice until it is lowered.

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Ah, interesting. Well I'm afraid I don't have experience with the noise floor as it's being described.

When I think "Noise Floor" I think of background/ambient noise, and how listening late at night is better in that regard because there's less "white" noise coming from outside, cars going down the street, etc.
    It's all about lowering the noise floor, which is something one doesn't notice until it is lowered.

It's possible Bud's system is just really THAT much more revealing, and thus the little things like isolation feet start to add up and make a difference.

It's mentally difficult to wrap my head around THAT nice of a system.
    DSkip wrote: »
    Don't ever say that again please. You can hear a difference... everyone can. If your system was at his level those details can greatly alter the sound. You would be intimately familiar with the sound and pick up on it quickly.

I'm not being mean but that type of thinking is deadly to growth in this hobby. It represents a closed mind in a way.