Pour over coffee maker anyone?

Comments

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I with Jimbo here as I like my 2 cup pour over using a Chemex here or I use the 12cup Cusisinart which has a nice hot water temp. for big batches of coffee.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Too much information, I'm so confused... I heaping teaspoon per cup of coffee, nice company on the deck..
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    Pretty happy with my pour over set up with the Osaka filter. Cold brew sounds interesting but too much pre-planning. I only drink coffee at home on the weekend anyway.

The planning ahead part is no biggie. I just place one cup of coarse grounds in the metal filter and then I pour filtered water over / through the grounds. Fill up the 2 quart mason jar with water, close the lid and give it a good shake. If the water level drops a little, add more water and shake again. You can leave it at room temp for 12 - 24 hours or put it in the fridge for 24 - 48 hours.

I find it hard to believe that audio enthusiasts would think this requires too much planning or effort. lol

It works for me (hot or cold) :smiley:
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    So do you reheat the coffee after 12-24 or do you like it cold? or both?

2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Paradoxex
    Paradoxex Posts: 189
    edited September 2016
    halo wrote: »

I find it hard to believe that audio enthusiasts would think this requires too much planning or effort. lol

You have to pick your things to be picky about, lest you miss the rest of life due to lack of time or resources.
  • halo
    voltz wrote: »
    So do you reheat the coffee after 12-24 or do you like it cold? or both?

Since the caffeine content is higher with the cold brew, I pour 1/3 cup of cold brew in my mug. After boiling water in my kettle, I add the boiling water to the mug to get "hot" coffee. I can drink it cold without a problem but I prefer my morning coffee hot. You can experiment with the ratios to see which one suits you. You can also add milk to dilute the mixture if you use less boiling water. It's all about personal preference and how you take it to begin with. 12 - 24 is room temp brewing. You can add ice if you want a cold brew "iced" coffee.
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    For the time it takes to boil water, can't you just brew it fresh ?

I think your missing out on part of the coffee thing, that's the aroma of fresh brewed coffee. Many things in life when it comes to food and drink is coupled to aromas. A bakery's food wouldn't be as enticing if you didn't have the smell to go along with it when you walked in the door. BBQ....the same thing. Just a few examples.

For me, coffee is about taste obviously, but the aroma is almost as important, like bacon and eggs in the morning. I'm not discounting these new fangled ways of making coffee, just that your removing part of the pleasurable experience by not freshly brewing. Just my .02 from over half a century of sniffing aromas. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    halo wrote: »
    Pretty happy with my pour over set up with the Osaka filter. Cold brew sounds interesting but too much pre-planning. I only drink coffee at home on the weekend anyway.

My job is in planning, have been a Master Planner and Scheduler most of my career. But having to worry about getting my coffee prepared 1 - 2 days in advance, seems like just one more thing to worry about.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't like it, and may try it one day, but as Tony points out, I like the smell of it as well as the taste.

For me, doing the pour over thing, and moving up to Jamaican Blue Mt. coffee, has made a huge improvement in my weekend cuppa. But, who knows, maybe when I am retired, making coffee days in advance will seem worth it.
  • warren
    Planning is a result of engineering. Both the quality of the coffe and water and the temperature at the consummation process will give you your wow factor..
    Some final words,
    Warren
  • halo
    @tonyb & @Jimbo18 - I'm not knocking the pour-over method :smile:

Just trying something new / different and liking it. Maybe it's the novelty of it?

Also, I've not been able to master the 3-minute or 6-minute pour over technique(s) as of yet.

If you count all the time you're taking to get the perfect cup of coffee from the proper pour-over method, The money you invest into a scale and a timer and a thermometer for your kettle, then the time it takes for planning ahead seems, to me, to be a moot point. YMMV. :smile: I do understand your point about the aroma being a factor for some people and that's totally cool.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    Well, have to admit, I didn't go the whole route with the pourover method. No scale. I measure with a scoop, use the same amount each time, once I found the balance of water to coffee that I like.

No thermometer either. Kettle starts to steam, must be around 212, add a little filtered water to lower the temp. a bit, and hopefully get it into the 190-205 deg. range, and pour it over the freshly ground coffee to wet it. Let it sit for about 45 seconds give or take a bit, and then pour more water over the grounds slowly till the level in the carafe reaches my desired level.

Definitely not ideal, I know. But still, not that much trouble and darn good coffee compared to the Keurig or Mr. Coffee that I used to use. I like good coffee, I am just not a fanatic about it.
  • D2Lo
    D2Lo Posts: 352
    I started my day with a nice pour over from the coffee truck 500 feet from my front door :-) 3kbb94mo6u5d.jpg
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    Cold brew is the future.
  • tonyb
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    Cold brew is the future.

So was Spam....Don't see many bragging about that one. :)

In all honesty, haven't tried the cold brew process yet so I will have to reserve final judgement. Then again, haven't tried crap on a stick yet either but I have a feeling I won't like it. :p

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Besides, soon I'll be in the motherland for food wine and coffee. Doubt I'd see cold press anything over there and the mere suggestion may get me kicked out. Won't risk that by a long shot. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited September 2016
    tonyb wrote: »
    Besides, soon I'll be in the motherland for food wine and coffee. Doubt I'd see cold press anything over there and the mere suggestion may get me kicked out. Won't risk that by a long shot. :)

Italy, I'm guessing.

I'm with you, @tonyb. There are always alternatives to look at, but the Italians have a way with food and coffee, at least, that has produced, shall we say, "settled law."

:)

PS: Wherever you are going, have a great trip!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    @tonyb this one is for you.

Just had my Breville take a little dump on me today and there is not really any servicing that type of machine, so...

6hf0af54xymw.jpeg
    j4zvdmr05p4k.jpeg
    irdhihvfrlhw.jpeg
    tyzkhb3kztx0.jpeg
    y9d0qkgq40g0.jpeg
  • joecoulson
    Nuova Simonelli

Oscar II machine
    MCF grinder

Best I have ever made at home and better than 90% of coffee houses I have ever been to.

Heaven.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Cool. Where did you buy it? When my Breville craps out on me, I’m going for a compact double boiler machine, likely a Lelit Elizabeth.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Nuova Simonelli

Oscar II machine
    MCF grinder

Best I have ever made at home and better than 90% of coffee houses I have ever been to.

Heaven.

Hmm...looks nice! But I got kids to send to college 😂😂😂
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • joecoulson
    maxward wrote: »
    Cool. Where did you buy it? When my Breville craps out on me, I’m going for a compact double boiler machine, likely a Lelit Elizabeth.

I was looking at Lelit, Ranclio and this one. This one beat them with the long track record of easy to service. The dealer was 30minutes from my house! Espressosoutheast

The Breville served well for about 3 years then crapped out. I expect this one to outlast me.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    Congrats Joe on the nice machine and quality grinder, I am sure the espresso tastes great. Let us know how it progresses as you dial it in and get used to it.

Here is the manufacturer's webpage for the machine if anyone is interested: https://simonelliusa.com/products/oscarii-model.asp
  • joecoulson
    So it is a learning curve for sure. Going from a consumer grade machine to a mid end unit, the grinding and tamp pressure are the two I have to perfect. And unless I want to waste a ton of good coffee, I just have to slowly adjust over time. Good pulls so far, just need to perfect.

Had cappuccinos with the wife this morning. Steam is just on another level.

Thank You Drew.
  • Clipdat
    edited July 2020
    Depending on the size of your portafilter's basket, 18-25g of coffee with a 20-30 second extraction time yielding ~30ml of espresso is a good place to start.

I also read that performing a level tamp of the coffee, and having a flat top to the surface of the puck is more important than overall pressure of the tamp.
  • warren
    Coffee grounds are added to the pot with water, heated until it they reach a boil, allowed to settle, then the coffee strained into the flask or thermos. This is a pretty quick, easy process that makes for an equally easy-drinking cup. This is how the Swedes make their coffee.
    Some final words,
    Warren
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited July 2020
    I make it with a moka, I like it that way, darn near espresso, makes about 8-9 ounces. ag3d088ctx5a.jpg

2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited July 2020
    So it is a learning curve for sure.
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Depending on the size of your portafilter's basket, 18-25g of coffee with a 20-30 second extraction time yielding ~30ml of espresso is a good place to start.

I also read that performing a level tamp of the coffee, and having a flat top to the surface of the puck is more important than overall pressure of the tamp.

Nice looking setup, Joe, and good advice from Clipdat. I home roast and pull respectable shots on a LaSpezialle. My portafilter is 53mm, I grind 15g and target 28 seconds on a 2 oz pull. 95% of the time my shots are made into an Americano by adding 2 oz of water. I like a stiff drink.

Two recommendations, not required but helped the wife and me learn...

1. Calibrated tamper: "Experts" shoot for 30 lb's of downward force on the puck. Mine is an ESPRO and pricey but there are quite a few very affordable knock offs.

rd4ttu8vr0oj.png
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=calibrated+tamper&i=garden&crid=JFXMQEP0YV7O&sprefix=calbrated+tamp,garden,244&ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_14

I've since moved to a smaller and thinner tamp w/a slightly beveled edge. Wife won't move from the ESPRO.

2. Coffee Distributor: Dashed into a coffee shop a while back and the barista was using one of these to level the puck. I'd read about them online but lots of opinions left me saying I'd get back to it. I asked to manhandle her distributor and found it solid, knurled and, to my pea brain, made absolute sense with it's goal. Barista said she loved it. Jumped on Amazon and for a twenty and change had one shipped to my door. I'm a convert and blown pucks are a thing of the past. Consistency is key to success and this goes a long way towards a level puck. Find it doesn't work for you? Use it as a door stop or on a piece of audio kit to dampen vibration. LOL.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CPRBS8C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    ceddpn057j7u.png
    u9490r97ftw4.png
    4eavzfs2msqc.png
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • joecoulson
    I was looking at those levelers.
    I will say I can consistently tamp pressure so I’m grateful for that. But getting it all in the same spot in the filter does make sense.

Post a pic of your setup bro
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    Post a pic of your setup bro
    As requested... :)
    1. Espresso Machine: La Spaziale Vivaldi II w/custom Sapele wood side panels
    2. Grinder: Fiorenzato F4E Nano V2
    3. Combo Scale/Shot Timer: Hario V60
    4. Tampers: Espro w/flat base, Joefrex w/convex base and walnut handle
    5. Coffee Distributor: Apexstone
    lcsgxab7zcij.jpg
    • Coffee Roaster: Gene Cafe CBR-101
    • Preferred Green Bean Wholeseller: Sweet Maria's
    I roast 1 lb, weekly. Half lb to the lighter side and other 1/2 to medium. Goal is to bring out the bean profile (fruit/chocolate, etc.) with the lighter roast and more robustness w/a medium to dark. Blend the two for the best of both worlds. Here's a nice Sumatra I roasted a while back. Contrast on the pics is a bit light as the bean had a nice brown color.
    4a9i7xin8b7v.jpg
    Earlier this morning...I prefer a triple shot basket w/a bottomless portafilter to see the extraction. Here's a nice 2 oz. shot and the resulting Americano w/2 oz's of water added to the shot.
    tvmhlpxnsbly.jpg
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Clipdat
    Awesome tiger striping.