Pour over coffee maker anyone?

Options
Jimbo18
Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
Been thinking of ditching the Keurig coffeemaker for a couple reasons, expensive, mediocre tasting coffee, as well as the used pods being bad for the environment.

I only drink about 2 cups of coffee each day, and wanted to find an alternative other than a drip maker or French press.

Has anyone used a pour over (sometimes listed as one word - pourover) coffee maker? Basically it's a basket you put a filter in then slowly pour hot water over which drips directly into a coffee mug. It's supposed to use the grounds more evenly than the drip coffee maker which doesn't cover all the grounds evenly with water.

Something like this:7yj30o9beol6.jpg

There are also some that include a carafe and they go from 1 cup to 6 cups or more.

Comments

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited July 2015
    Options
    That's voodoo, make sure it comes with a money back guarantee.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    I used one for a little while at work, but I didn't care for the taste. It was pretty cumbersome to use, even though it's just a few things.

If you're interested, I'm selling a lightly used AeroPress.

Thanks, John, I have several coffee makers besides the Keurig, I am just curious about the pour over thing. It does seem like it might be a bit cumbersome even for just one or two cups though.

• Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    I had one that looked like a big Pyrex lab flask...that thing could brew one heck of a strong cup of joe...depending on the grind....
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    Been thinking of ditching the Keurig coffeemaker for a couple reasons, expensive, mediocre tasting coffee, as well as the used pods being bad for the environment.

I only drink about 2 cups of coffee each day, and wanted to find an alternative other than a drip maker or French press.

Has anyone used a pour over (sometimes listed as one word - pourover) coffee maker? Basically it's a basket you put a filter in then slowly pour hot water over which drips directly into a coffee mug. It's supposed to use the grounds more evenly than the drip coffee maker which doesn't cover all the grounds evenly with water.

Something like this:7yj30o9beol6.jpg

There are also some that include a carafe and they go from 1 cup to 6 cups or more.
    I've used this before for making one or two cups of coffee. If you like to grind your own beans , this will make one heck__ of a good cup of coffee. Use distilled water brought up to about 190 degrees or so ,pour slowly over all the grounds , let sit for a moment , add cream or sugar or whatever you usually do and enjoy! A little mess involved with discarding the wet paper filter and grounds , but what a fresh cup of coffee! ;)
  • Jimbo18
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Good to know, guys. I think I will give it a try. Not that particular one, but there's a Grosche on eBay that looks pretty much like what I want.

And I do grind my own beans when I don't use the Keurig, and even then sometimes I do with the reusable filter pack. Haven't been using distilled water though, just filtered.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I have the Chemex & a french press and I used them now and again, Chemex secret is like John said: to add a little at a time to let the ground bloom, dont just pour a bunch of hot water on it and it works just fine, french press seem more of a pain to clean but good cup of coffee too.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    I have the Chemex & a french press and I used them now and again, Chemex secret is like John said: to add a little at a time to let the ground bloom, dont just pour a bunch of hot water on it and it works just fine, french press seem more of a pain to clean but good cup of coffee too.

I have exactly this. I use the French press when I want to take a couple cups with me and do it all at once.

However, when I have the time...I really like the Chemex. First cup I ever made with it, I was not expecting much, but the process was novel...first sip and definitely one of the better cups I've ever had. Of course very fresh beans always helps, but again...I really like it.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    You could go with a metal filter the paper absorbs some of the oils which you don't want to happen. We use this method on the boat when it's just a couple of us.
  • Polkie2009
    Options
    Thanks Willow, are the metal filters easy to find? another thing about the paper filters is the bottom part gets clogged up and you end up have to pour the water slowly and in intervals.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Get "The Kone"; best damned non-drip/ non-french press (pour over) coffee system there is, period, IMO.

The Kone: http://ablebrewing.com/products/kone-coffee-filter

I also recommend the Chemex glass container as well, just be careful with it.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    Options
    You can have GREAT coffee while retaining the Keurig, saving lots of $ and not creating the K-cup waste at the same time. We buy beans from all corners of the world, grind em, and then brew them in these: http://www.ekobrew.com/ Currently enjoying some very tasty organic coffee from Peru. (we also use distilled water for best taste and no scaling issues) ;)
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    gdb wrote: »
    You can have GREAT coffee while retaining the Keurig, saving lots of $ and not creating the K-cup waste at the same time. We buy beans from all corners of the world, grind em, and then brew them in these: http://www.ekobrew.com/ Currently enjoying some very tasty organic coffee from Peru. (we also use distilled water for best taste and no scaling issues) ;)

I have been using a filter like this one
    e66rzdtkysia.jpg

One thing I like about it, there is a longer basket available that allows for more coffee to be used so that when you make a large cup it isn't so weak. What I don't like about it, the screen isn't fine enough and it lets too much of the grounds through.

• Willow
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    Thanks Willow, are the metal filters easy to find? another thing about the paper filters is the bottom part gets clogged up and you end up have to pour the water slowly and in intervals.

We use something like this:

http://www.amazon.ca/Fresco-Goldtone-Permanent-Coffee-Filter/dp/B001F519AO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436531505&sr=8-1&keywords=permanent+metal+coffee+filter

Then I found this:

http://www.amazon.ca/Bodum-Coffee-Maker-Permanent-Filter/dp/B00UC549S2/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1436531669&sr=8-18&keywords=Permanent+Coffee+Filter

• Willow
    Options
    All of this is making me want a fresh cup of coffee
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Sounds good but way too much work. I like making a 14 cup pot and forget about it. I'm a coffee addict....2 cups ain't gonna cut it for me. If you only suck down 1 or 2 cups in the morning, might be worth a try though.

My dream is to have a nice Jura automatic, but at roughly 2k that's all it will be....a dream.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited July 2015
    Options
    When I discovered that I was addicted to caffeine (about 1970), I decided to limit my coffee consumption, but determined to find the best cup of coffee I could brew so that I still had the highest enjoyment of my cup.

This set me on a "journey" through the world of coffee and coffee brewing that reached its destination (for awhile, any way) about 10 years ago, when my wife gave me a La Cimbali M21 Junior espresso machine and La Cimbali Junior grinder.

On my way to this end, I passed through virtually every other brewing, grinding, and bean-blending combination that you could imagine.

For several years, I used only the pour-over technique, and I learned pretty well the factors that influence the outcome of that technique:
    1. The water must be as pure as possible -- distilled or reverse-osmosis filtered. If the water has a taste, that taste affects the coffee.
    2. The water has to be at the proper temperature. I aim at 190-195 degrees F.
    3. The grounds in the filter must be ground to the appropriate fineness -- for pour-over you need very fine, very uniform coffee grounds -- just short of espresso-grind fineness.
    4. This takes an good grinder. Blade grinders create a grind that is not uniform, and they can "burn" the coffee. Get a good quality burr grinder.
    5. Filter cones need to be unbleached. Unbleached cones are tan, not white. The white ones impart a slight chemical taste to the brew.
    6. The grounds must be fully wetted by a partial pour, allowed to "bloom" for 30-60 seconds, and then fully covered by the remaining water all at once.
    7. The pot should be sitting on a warming plate while the coffee drips through the filter. Otherwise, it cools too much while the rest is brewing.
    8. Of course, you have to find a single-origin or blended coffee that is to your taste. This, for me, was a very long and interesting process of discovery. If you have no interest in spending a lot of time on this part of the journey, try coffees from Peet's, Counter Culture, Hubbard &Cravens, or another specialty coffee roaster (if you do not have one near you). Coffees from different regions of the world have different characteristics that appeal more or less to different people. I prefer all Arabica beans (v. robusta or a robusta/Arabic blend), blended from single-origin sources in Sumatra (for body) and Central America (for acidity/brightness. For the sake of simplicity, Peet's Major Dickason's blend is a good place to start.
    9. The best cup of coffee in the American style, IMHO, is made by pulling two shots of espresso (about 3 oz.) and topping up the cup with 190-195 degrees F water for a total of about 9 oz. of coffee. Italians call this an "Americano" -- as does Starbucks.

I take my coffee as seriously as I take my stereo rig! :)

Well, not quite. B)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Polkie2009
    Options
    Moose, awesome info bro, you are certainly a coffee aficionado! I need to find one of those burr grinders, I have tried many different beans around the world, always open to new ones. I usually go with the Arabica beans too, you must like your coffee strong too. Beans from Sumatra and Guatemala both taste bold and strong, just how I like it.
  • Polkie2009
    Options
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    gdb wrote: »

I have been using a filter like this one
    e66rzdtkysia.jpg

One thing I like about it, there is a longer basket available that allows for more coffee to be used so that when you make a large cup it isn't so weak. What I don't like about it, the screen isn't fine enough and it lets too much of the grounds through.

This is the problem I had with a unit for our early Keurig machine. The single serve device and filter made a weak cup of coffee and the grounds would spill over into your cup. Bad design.

• Polkie2009
    Options
    Hey Willow, thanks for the info, I'm actually just looking for a metal screen filter that would be about the size of a Malita paper filter for one cup of coffee. I'll look around and see what's out there. :)
  • tonyb
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't mind a strong cup every so often, but because I drink so much of it I prefer the smoother blends like Jamaican Blue Mountain. Down side is you can't afford it for every day drinking at 60 smackers a pound. Anyone got a similar smooth brand more cost efficient ?

Those South Americans drink strong black coffee all day long. No wonder they are all wired up at those soccer matches.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Moose68Bash
    Options
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    Moose, awesome info bro, you are certainly a coffee aficionado! I need to find one of those burr grinders, I have tried many different beans around the world, always open to new ones. I usually go with the Arabica beans too, you must like your coffee strong too. Beans from Sumatra and Guatemala both taste bold and strong, just how I like it.

I hope I can help.

Take a look at this web site both to learn about grinders and to see the variety and cost range available.

As long as you don't aim at getting into espresso, you can avoid the grinders with dosers and not feel like you have to spend too much money. But don't skimp on the grinder; it's as important as the brewing method to the taste of the final brew.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Moose68Bash
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    I don't mind a strong cup every so often, but because I drink so much of it I prefer the smoother blends like Jamaican Blue Mountain. Down side is you can't afford it for every day drinking at 60 smackers a pound. Anyone got a similar smooth brand more cost efficient ?

Ever tried Mexican Pluma beans?

http://www.oldbisbeeroasters.com/Mexican-Oaxaca-Organic-p/mexican.htm

You might like these beans. I drank Pluma for several years, but turned to a more robust -- not robusta -- coffee for expresso.

Another one you might like is this:

http://www.oldbisbeeroasters.com/Costa-Rica-La-Pastora-Tarrazu-p/costa_new.htm

And another:

http://www.coffeebean.com/guatemala-antigua-coffee/d/1078

• tonyb
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, the last 2 seem more up my alley.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    edited July 2015
    Options
    cool thread. I wasn't always a coffee person but a few years ago started drinking it pretty regularly. I'm mostly off it again for now, but I really enjoy a good cup on occasion. I did some reading a few years ago when I was just getting into it and looking for a coffee maker. I thought I wanted an automatic. then a French Press. in the end, I went with an Aeropress along with a stainless disc.

I was gonna add my experience here, but Moose pretty much nails everything I was gonna offer up, only that I use that Aeropress, and use 175°-180° water for the Americano style shots, then top up with hot water. I'm good for about 10oz. any more than that and I start trying to do crazy stuff like mow the lawn with scissors.

with the Aeropress, I've used both the paper filters and a stainless screen. the stainless screen lets the oil through for a really good cup, however, I read a while ago that the something in the oil can spike cholesterol? (you aficionados/health conscious heard anything about this?), so I switched over to the filters. not quite the same, and it definitely imparts an odd taste, but as long as I do a setup/pre-rinse/pitch the water, it's minimal to none, and still a pretty good cup.

tell you what though, once you've had a good cup of coffee, it sure doesn't take long to be spoiled. I was having a lazy breakfast in a local mom & Pop diner a few weeks ago and felt like coffee. it was awful. if you've ever had a cup where it tastes like the water is separate from the coffee, that's what I had that day.

my biggest gripe with the auto coffee makers is the lack of control. you can add more coffee to control the strength somewhat, but you can't really control the temp or brew time. just one of these factors alone, never mind both, can make an otherwise good coffee taste like crap. I think it has something to do with acid release when using water that's too hot? apparently makes it bitter? can't remember. I just spent a bunch of time experimenting and trying methods/techniques until I found a method that worked well for me, and forgot the rest of what I learned :)

I do enjoy the process as part of the experience, but I don't drink more than 6-12oz at a time, just depending on how it hits me/how my mood is, and I can see where some of these brew processes wouldn't go over well with real coffee fiends who have to have a gallon or so first thing. but try it - you might be surprised what a quality brew does for you vs. quantity.

I've been meaning to try some of the ones Moose lists, but I found that I like plain old Seattle's Best #4 and #5
    When I discovered that I was addicted to caffeine (about 1970), I decided to limit my coffee consumption, but determined to find the best cup of coffee I could brew so that I still had the highest enjoyment of my cup.

For several years, I used only the pour-over technique, and I learned pretty well the factors that influence the outcome of that technique:

Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • Moose68Bash
    Options
    Polkie2009,

I just noticed that I forgot to paste the link to the grinder site in my post above:

https://www.wholelattelove.com/categories/grinders/burr

Have a look to read about grinders and check out what's available.

• Polkie2009
    Options
    Thanks Moose, I kinda figured that happened, no worries bro! Lots to choose from there. :)
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I love my Keurig Office Pro. The cups we use are San Francisco Bay Gotmet Coffee Breakfast Blend at .33 cents a pop
    So for less than 80 cents as I use 2 the taste is better than anything that Starbucks has to offer for the 2 dollars range . Plus we throw the grounds on the lawn . The cups are more enviromen friendly too.
    Post edited by tophatjohnny on
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Options
    Hi

Always wanted to try one like this one any comments

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Santos-Stovetop-Vacuum-34-Ounce/dp/B00005NCX5

HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    Irrenhaus wrote: »
    Hi

Always wanted to try one like this one any comments

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Santos-Stovetop-Vacuum-34-Ounce/dp/B00005NCX5

I saw that one listed in the same posting that mentioned the pour over. Pretty cool the way it works and supposedly makes a good tasting cuppa. I am really only looking for a cup or two at a time though.

Lots of trouble with heartburn lately and I may have to give up even that much coffee.