Pour over coffee maker anyone?

Options

Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,517
    Options
    That’s a very good looking setup. I’m going to give mixing a light and medium roast a try. Sounds like a great idea. I’ve got four different Ethiopian beans from Sweet Maria’s I’m working through right now. I also buy from Sonofresco in Washington.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    I need that portafilter. That’s awesome.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Inspired me to pull a dbl

d3qpcqibelve.jpeg
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Awesome tiger striping.
    Thanks. I was sent pictures of two sets of panels to chose from. The opposite panel was cut to produce a mirror image. If you look up the Vivaldi on-line you'll see it comes with cheap plastic panels in black or Ferrari redishhhhh, probably an Italian thing. There was no question....I sprung for the real wood and a win.
    maxward wrote: »
    That’s a very good looking setup. I’m going to give mixing a light and medium roast a try. Sounds like a great idea. I’ve got four different Ethiopian beans from Sweet Maria’s I’m working through right now. I also buy from Sonofresco in Washington.

Thank you. Coincidentally, I'm roasting a Sweet Maria's (SM) Ethiopian and it's off the chart good w/berry attributes at 24-48 hrs of rest. Not as striking as the best Harrar's but a nice second. I'm a data driven guy when it's useful and I love how SM started publishing charts to aid bean selection. Much less time wading through descriptors to find my preferred fruit/chocolate/body profile. I'm in WA and will have to look up Sonofresco. I'd forgotten of but think you mentioned them in another thread?

In my roaster as I type...

"Ethiopia Dry Process Guji Gerbicho Rogicha

City and City+ roasts show big fruits and clean floral aroma; strawberry lemonade, dried cherry, raspberry, pineapple hard candy, dried mango, orange and a jasmine nose. City to Full City".

7hdr5zv6khky.png
    joecoulson wrote: »
    I need that portafilter. That’s awesome.
    They make a world of difference. Many baristas start out bottomless to see the quality of their tamp/pull. You'll know immediately if your puck is even or fractured. It'll piss all over you and the machine as a result of poor skills. A regular portafilter hides this because all you see is the steady stream as it drops to the cup.

QUIZ: Bragging rights to the person that can spot the audio tweak on my Gene Cafe coffee roaster. No joke...a practical application of something I learned on Club Polk!

mx6654rgnmjj.jpg
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,606
    edited July 2020
    Options
    You covered in dynamat.

And I meant tiger stripes on the espresso shot, but the wood panels are also gorgeous!

espresso-tiger-striping.jpg
  • JayCee
    Options
    You covered in dynamat.
    Yup. Helped reduce the noise of the motor and blower transmitted through the plastic case. Much easier to hear first and second crack's. Also, above the roaster on the bottom of the shelf, is a square of Sonic Barrier to help dampen reflected sound. Inside of my grinder is covered with Dyanamat in effort to make it quieter.
    And I meant tiger stripes on the espresso shot, but the wood panels are also gorgeous!
    Thanks.....LOL....sometimes you have to 'splain things to me. Tiger stripes are a beautiful thing.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • JayCee
    Options
    Inspired me to pull a dbl

Now I'm inspired! I lied earlier. I purchased the bottomless portafilter with a triple basket but have been using the double. I've pulled out the triple and am going to move up to 18g. 15 is too little for a nice puck. May end up at 20 to ensure there's not too much air gap at the brew head.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,455
    Options
    warren wrote: »
    Coffee grounds are added to the pot with water, heated until it they reach a boil, allowed to settle, then the coffee strained into the flask or thermos. This is a pretty quick, easy process that makes for an equally easy-drinking cup. This is how the Swedes make their coffee.
    Cold water?
    How much water, and how much coffee?
    What do you strain it with?
    I disabled signatures.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Ice water
    1:1
    Cheese cloth
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Options
    Read the instructions.. after taking it off the fire let it sit for a minute then add a few oz of cold water it will settle the grounds so straining isn’t necessary, it’s only as good as the beans used. This is really great coffee, Joe’s is superior, so many variations..
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,455
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about a specific apparatus. I thought you were talking about boiling grounds in a regular pot. I thought I'd like to try that out.

Had to lay off the stuff, but I use an Aeropress when I make it. Just another process/ritual I enjoy.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Never realized making coffee was so complicated. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Never realized making coffee was so complicated. :)

But listening to music is simple ;)
  • JayCee
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    ...I use an Aeropress...
    I used an Aeropress when I was on the road for work. Teamed up w/a compact ceramic burr hand grinder that made a fairly nice travel kit. Still have it but not used for a while. I enjoyed many shots from that oversized syringe. LOL.
  • maxward
    Options
    @JayCee did you get your Vivaldi with wood panels at Clive Coffee. I see that they offer custom wood panels and I don’t think I’ve seen this at other retailers. They do look very nice.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Asked for a price on the NS brand of bottomless PF and it was $150! Nevermind.
  • JayCee
    edited July 2020
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    @JayCee did you get your Vivaldi with wood panels at Clive Coffee. I see that they offer custom wood panels and I don’t think I’ve seen this at other retailers. They do look very nice.
    No. Purchased the machine and grinder from NY based Chris' Coffee, Dec of '15, when I lived in Germany. I shopped Clive, excellent reputation, but the La Spaziale they offer has a slightly different design. I chose Chris' version. Both offered wood side panels that are created by local, to them, craftsmen, which I appreciate. Just pulled up Chris' and the panels are really expensive. Going for $450. I paid $200 during a holiday sale.f4n7v477zqlo.png
    Asked for a price on the NS brand of bottomless PF and it was $150! Nevermind.
    Whoa, that's ridiculous. Just looked at my receipt, paid $80, and it included the triple shot basket. I have single and double headed portafilters that came with my machine but prefer the bottomless and never use them.

Found a bottomless for your machine at Seattle Coffee gear.
    v7cg4ode9tiu.png
    https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/nuova-simonelli-bottomless-portafilter#acctab-tabreviews
    Only 2 reviews and they are split. Not a good sample size. Give 'em a call. I've watched many of SC's reviews and wouldn't hesitate to reach out. I believe they have an easy return policy and you can get 10% off if you subscribe to their newsletter.
    Post edited by JayCee on
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, I worry about non std equipment with an expensive machine and not sure if there would be warranty implications should anything go wrong - I know that's over thinking it but meh.
  • JayCee
    edited July 2020
    Options
    No disrespect...yes, you're over thinking it. :):smiley: I'd be very surprised if anything would go wrong trying an aftermarket portafilter. Just don't overwrench it. My wife was a bit heavy handed when we first started learning all this and there was no damage.

I pulled up the Oscar owner's/service manual and it's well documented with parts breakdown and diagrams. You should get many years of use out of it and most parts are, IMHO, user serviceable if you're handy. There's a big market for accessories with this hobby and, just like in audio, room for tweaks.

You might also look at buying a standard OM replacement portafilter, found them for $70ish if memory serves. Take to a machine shop and lop off the bottom, supplement your single basket w/a double or triple and you're in business.

Gail, at Seattle Coffee Gear, is very knowledgeable and won't steer you wrong w/your apprehension and a recommendation. It's just a phone call....
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Thanks for your insight man
  • joecoulson
    Options
  • JayCee
    edited July 2020
    Options
    That's the spirit! Wishing you success with it. Nothing like watching that naked stream hit the cup.
    EDIT to add...
    As a result of this thread I pulled out my triple basket, was using a double, and bumped my 15g grind to 18g. Have pulled 4 shots over the past 2 days and I like what I'm getting. There's a perfect bit of headroom after tamping and the combo produces a nice solid puck; the taste is good. I was stuck in my standard routine but this is the new norm going forward.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Making me want to leave my conf call and go pull a shot
  • JayCee
    Options
    Had a really good week with 18g grinds/shots and definitely prefer over 15g. Yesterday, upped to 20g but still dialing in the shot.

@joecoulson, you gettin' nekid and bottomless, yet? Must report with family friendly pics or it didn't happen :p
  • joecoulson
    Options
    0uoeyauvhmv7.jpeg

This was with the triple cup that came with it, which is not as good as the OEM that came with my machine. But it sure is nice to watch, I still have to get the amount right for a triple
  • JayCee
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Did it spray before the stream centered? Guessing by the drops on the PF and stainless to the left of the photo it looks like you had a blown puck. Usually from uneven pressure or coffee distribution when you tamp. As they say...practice, practice and more practice makes you perfect...and gets you wired from caffeine.
  • joecoulson
    Options
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,606
    Options
    I'd like to use you as a basket filter.

Reported.
  • maxward
    Options
    Is anyone here an early adapter of the Niche Zero grinder. It’s a crowd-funded piece and is set up for single-dose grinding, which is all I do now. It is in the ballpark of other grinders I’m looking at to replace a Baratza Sette 270, which has taken one dump on me and is now threatening another.