Pour over coffee maker anyone?

Options

Comments

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    I had a Chemex but I prefer the Hario set up.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    halo wrote: »
    I use a ceramic Hario v60 ceramic coffee dripper with an 800ml V60 Glass Coffee Server. I use Hario brown paper filters and a Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill Skerton. I also use a pour over kettle with a long spout. I like it. It's simple and easy to clean. Makes really good coffee. After a bit of experimentation (grounds:water) I know how I like it. It's kind of a cathartic way to start the day.

That doesn't sound like coffee, more so a science experiment. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    I am still using a cheap Melitta pour over with brown paper filters only because I couldn't decide what to upgrade to.

I feel like the next setup needs to include an ultra-fine stainless steel filter so I can eliminate the paper filters, which supposedly, remove too much of the oils.

I was looking at a Grosche but read some negative reviews about fragility of the carafe.
  • halo
    Options
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    I feel like the next setup needs to include an ultra-fine stainless steel filter so I can eliminate the paper filters, which supposedly, remove too much of the oils.

I got a v60 dripper with a mesh screen. I think it's better for the environment and it costs less because you don't have to buy filters anymore.

I've used it a few times and it's good until I get to the sediment at the bottom of the server.

When I run out of my stock of filters, I'll switch over to the screen.

HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    I use this at work:

http://www.amazon.com/Osaka-Stainless-Dripper-Reusable-Kinkaku-ji/dp/B019QTUZAU?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Works very well.

As for the "better for the environment" argument of using steel screens, I doubt it does much. Yes, you're using less paper. But, you're also using A LOT more water to clean a SS screen...
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    I use this at work:

http://www.amazon.com/Osaka-Stainless-Dripper-Reusable-Kinkaku-ji/dp/B019QTUZAU?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Works very well.

As for the "better for the environment" argument of using steel screens, I doubt it does much. Yes, you're using less paper. But, you're also using A LOT more water to clean a SS screen...

I had looked at those. How is it for sediment that gets through?
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    I am still using a cheap Melitta pour over with brown paper filters only because I couldn't decide what to upgrade to.

I was looking at a Grosche but read some negative reviews about fragility of the carafe.

Upgrade the power cable and you`ll notice a huge difference.
  • Upstatemax
    Options

I don't have an issue with sediment. There is usually a small amount on the bottom of the cup.

I find the best ways to make coffee, always involve at least a small amount of sediment...
  • halo
    Options
    I use this at work:

Works very well.

I wash the dripper after removing the paper filter. I bang the grounds out of the screen and into the compost. I turn the paper filter upside down and shake out the grounds into the compost as well. Either way, the compost gets the used grounds and the dripper gets washed
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options

I don't have an issue with sediment. There is usually a small amount on the bottom of the cup.

I find the best ways to make coffee, always involve at least a small amount of sediment...

In fact, one school of brewing thought says that the best way to get the real flavor out of your ground coffee is to measure the grounds carefully into your warmed mug, pour 195-205 degrees water into the mug, wait till the grounds rise to the top of the water, break the "crust" and skim it off with a shallow spoon, and then drink the coffee.

This definitely leaves you with some sediment.

This method doesn't appeal to me much.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Jimbo18
    Options
    ^^^ I never used one, but isn't that basically a french press without the press, and therefore no filter at all?
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    halo wrote: »
    I wash the dripper after removing the paper filter. I bang the grounds out of the screen and into the compost. I turn the paper filter upside down and shake out the grounds into the compost as well. Either way, the compost gets the used grounds and the dripper gets washed

Yes, but the point I was making is that it takes a lot more water to wash out a fine metal screen than a quick rinse needed when a paper filter is used.

Anyone doing it for environmental impact, should not pat themselves on the back too much.

Doing it for better flavor, now that's a worthwhile venture!
  • Moose68Bash
    Options
    ^^^ I never used one, but isn't that basically a french press without the press, and therefore no filter at all?

You could say that, but it is simply pouring the water over the grounds, skimming the grounds off as best you can, then drinking the coffee, putting up with whatever residue is left in the cup.

I knew a Swede in my college days, who brewed coffee by the potfull in this manner, but eliminated the floating grounds by putting an egg white into the pot when she was ready to serve the coffee. This seemed to work pretty well as I recall, but that was over 50 years ago, and I wasn't terribly critical of my coffee at that stage in my life.

Has anybody else ever heard of or seen this method for brewing coffee?
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Moose68Bash
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I just Googled "How do Swedes brew coffee?", and this turned up:

http://www.thekitchn.com/have-you-tried-swedish-egg-coffee-194230

Not exactly as I remembered the process, but this is probably what my friend did 50 years or so ago.
    Post edited by Moose68Bash on

• Jimbo18
    Options
    I think I will stick with my eggs over easy, and not over, or in, my coffee. :)
  • Moose68Bash
    Options
    I think I will stick with my eggs over easy, and not over, or in, my coffee. :)

The greater part of wisdom, I would say! I certainly haven't tried to replicate that brewing technique in the past 50 years!

• Polkaguy58
    Polkaguy58 Posts: 352
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I bought a hinged, stainless steel, perforated basket for my single cup Kurig and it works great.
    I also found that using a darker roast coffee yeilds a "normal" brew.
    Stop & Shop was selling them filters for about 13 bucks.
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    My last order of Jamaican Blue Mt. was mostly ground coffee for friends and only 2 lbs. for myself of beans.

One of my friends gave me some of the ground so I could compare it against what I grind myself. I made them both the same way, i.e. pour over, 4 cups, filtered water and all that. I could immediately tell the difference in the pre-ground coffee vs. the beans. Noticeably less flavor and aroma, not as smooth and much shorter finish on the pre-ground stuff. Still good, but definitely not as good.

Just mentioning this in case some of you are wondering if grinding yourself is worth it.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Always grind myself, never go back to pre-packaged ground coffee. Worlds apart in flavor as already stated.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • halo
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yes, but the point I was making is that it takes a lot more water to wash out a fine metal screen than a quick rinse needed when a paper filter is used.

Anyone doing it for environmental impact, should not pat themselves on the back too much.

Doing it for better flavor, now that's a worthwhile venture!

I understand your point about water usage but it doesn't take any more water for me to clean the screen.

I was thinking more about the trees being consumed for manufacturing all those paper filters.

I think both points are valid :smile:

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Coffee filters are made from recycled toilet paper Halo... it's what gives coffee that nutty flavor.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • D2Lo
    D2Lo Posts: 352
    edited March 2016
    Options
    a buddy of mind designed this, the Ratio Eight, automated pour over machine:
    http://ratiocoffee.com
    cuwqdkgn22ir.jpg
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    I finally picked up a stainless steel filter. I settled on the Osaka which has dual filtration layers. I ground the coffee a little larger than I do with paper filters and didn't get any sediment in the finished coffee. Cost is about $25 without a carafe.

Very happy with it so far and it just happens to fit perfectly on top of the Melitta carafe that I use. It's only big enough for about 6 cups at a time, or in my case, about 2+ mugs.

r14tpdu4fysy.jpg
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    I found with my Osaka filter that I can go finer than with my old paper filters and get a better cup, with no sediment issue.
  • footwedge
    footwedge Posts: 475
    Options
    Irrenhaus wrote: »
    Hi

Always wanted to try one like this one any comments

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Santos-Stovetop-Vacuum-34-Ounce/dp/B00005NCX5

While on vacation, we went to a crazy expensive restaurant that used vacuum coffee makers...

The coffee was OUTSTANDING. Tons of flavor, no bitterness.

They used this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Cona-Coffee-Maker-Size-Chrome/dp/B004HE9ECK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437012215&sr=8-1&keywords=cona+size+c

Looks like this could serve double duties ;)

• halo
    Options
    I recently ditched the Hario pour over set I was using in favor of a Cold Brew set up made by County Line Kitchen. Absolutely love it. Very smooth flavor, less acidic, & no bitterness. The only thing you need to be aware of is the increased caffeine content as you cold brew for 12 - 48 hours. I drink less coffee now and I dilute it to get more out of it. One batch lasts me the whole week. You can have it cold or hot & they include a booklet with recipes. A real value at only $20.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Wait...what ? 12-48 hours to brew ? What is this....iced tea ? Dilute it.....one batch for the whole week ??

Blasphemy I tell ya. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • halo
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Wait...what ? 12-48 hours to brew ? What is this....iced tea ? Dilute it.....one batch for the whole week ??

Blasphemy I tell ya. :)

Don't knock it until you try it. Go into a local coffee shop and see if you like the cold brew coffee (not Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks - a real coffee shop).
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    Pretty happy with my pour over set up with the Osaka filter. Cold brew sounds interesting but too much pre-planning. I only drink coffee at home on the weekend anyway.