Pour over coffee maker anyone?

Comments

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Got yer foamed milk fer yer mouth right here, buddy!
    Dark Sumatra is a delight. Agreed.

I'm offended! ;)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited January 2016
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    I couldn't wait, I had to try the JBM. I cleaned out the grinder to get rid of any remaining coffee from my last grind. I think it was an Aribica from World Market. I ground up enough JBM for two mugs of coffee.

In a word, I am spoiled. Okay, even I know that's three words. Amazing medium-full body but smooth as silk. No bitterness whatsoever and full long lasting flavor that extends well after you swallow. Definitely not acidic at all.

Simply the best cup of coffee I have ever made.

Thanks for the great suggestion. I will wait on the Kona, since I am the only coffee drinker in the house and I don't want to open the bag just yet.

Yep, you hit it pretty good in your description. Not too fond of acidic coffees myself hence my own preference for the JBM. First time I had it I was in Jamaica, go figure, and I've been hooked ever since. I can drink that stuff from morning to night and not bat an eye, it's that good.

Moose,
    Amen bro, life is too short to drink crappy coffee, bad wine, eat horrible foods. Spoil yourself a little bit.....AND don't wait until your 60 to do it either. It's not the big ticket items that makes life more pleasurable day to day, it's the little things and the company we keep.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Moose68Bash
    edited January 2016
    tonyb wrote: »
    Moose,
    Amen bro, life is too short to drink crappy coffee, bad wine, eat horrible foods. Spoil yourself a little bit.....AND don't wait until your 60 to do it either. It's not the big ticket items that makes life more pleasurable day to day, it's the little things and the company we keep.

As they say, "You're dead nuts on," @tonyb.

Onward and upward!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    Kind of an interesting article on the relationship between coffee and the water used. It indicates that distilled, soft water, might not always be the best choice.

http://www.techinsider.io/best-way-brew-coffee-home-2016-1
  • Moose68Bash
    edited January 2016
    Kind of an interesting article on the relationship between coffee and the water used. It indicates that distilled, soft water, might not always be the best choice.

http://www.techinsider.io/best-way-brew-coffee-home-2016-1

An interesting article, from which I infer that the best we poor schmucks in the real world can do is find beans that taste good to us when we use whatever water is available for our use.

At least, because mine come through a reverse osmosis system, the water is consistent so that the variable I have to play with is the beans -- oh, yes, and the grind, the roast, the water temperature, the pressure of the water being pumped through the espresso machine's portafilter, and the duration of the pull.

Oh my God; I think it's hopeless -- kind of like audio nirvana! :)

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    I couldn't wait, I had to try the JBM. I cleaned out the grinder to get rid of any remaining coffee from my last grind. I think it was an Aribica from World Market. I ground up enough JBM for two mugs of coffee.

In a word, I am spoiled. Okay, even I know that's three words. Amazing medium-full body but smooth as silk. No bitterness whatsoever and full long lasting flavor that extends well after you swallow. Definitely not acidic at all.

Simply the best cup of coffee I have ever made.

Thanks for the great suggestion. I will wait on the Kona, since I am the only coffee drinker in the house and I don't want to open the bag just yet.

Yep, you hit it pretty good in your description. Not too fond of acidic coffees myself hence my own preference for the JBM. First time I had it I was in Jamaica, go figure, and I've been hooked ever since. I can drink that stuff from morning to night and not bat an eye, it's that good.

Moose,

My 1st taste of JBM was in Jamaica as well. Good stuff. Got me hooked on rum there as well but that's for another thread...
  • Jimbo18
    This past weekend, my youngest daughter came to visit and I made her a cup of JBM. She is "frugal" and pretty much only drinks Folgers Black Silk. Her first comment was "Oh my God, is this what coffee is supposed to taste like".

Yeah, we will be putting in a bigger order next time.
  • I need to try that stuff. I have it on the watch list. Because of this thread I ordered a hand held burr grinder. It works really well. Now to get some JBM and I will be set.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • tonyb
    Ha.....attaboy Jimbo, give her a taste of real stuff. Wake up those taste buds that are acclimated to our western cultures junky grocery store foods.

I think last time I used Folgers it was to get some oil spots off the garage floor. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    just ordered 6 lbs of jbm peaberry from bluemacaw on the bay for $90. Peaberry is a couple bucks more but even smoother... cant beat that deal ... that's $6/day for 15 days at $ tarbucks...
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Jimbo18
    My daughter is a 5th year teacher in NC, so doesn't have a lot of extra cash, and is very careful with her money, but even she agreed that the Blue Mountain coffee is a worthwhile indulgence.

A friend was at my house and I pointed out the JBM label to him and he shouted "that's the Blue!!". He got married in Jamaica and hasn't had it since then. So he's up for a group order also.

Of course, I took all the credit for finding it ;)
  • Mikey081057

A friend was at my house and I pointed out the JBM label to him and he shouted "that's the Blue!!". He got married in Jamaica and hasn't had it since then.

Hopefully you mean the Coffee... B)

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Right, that Jamaican Blue penicillin won't even cure.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited February 2016
    Kinda late to the discussion, but going back to the original question of 'pour over' coffee makers. I don't use one at home, but I started using one of those for camping last year. It works out well because I am usually the only one drinking coffee in our family. A full pot of percolated coffee was wasteful and time consuming. Now I just boil an inch of water in a pot on the stove in a few minutes, and pour over into an insulated mug. Works great. It is more compact to pack for camping too compared to a percolating pot. The one I use is the cheap little Melitta 1-cup that I found for $3 at Bed Bath and Beyond.

I'm not enough of a coffee snob to spend for JBM or Kona, but I do grind my beans daily and use better than average stuff. My recent favorite choice is Pablo's Pride Guatemala whole bean. Its $10 for 2lbs at Sam's Club online. Also available from Amazon for a bit higher price.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Mikey081057
    I liked the Costco 100% Colombian beans that were inexpensive and very good as well... So I am not always a coffee snob.... just choose not to pay big money for burnt harsh tasting coffee.

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited February 2016
    Well...After 12 or so years, I finally upped my ante and started using a conical burr grinder for my daily coffee. I am frankly astounded by the difference over my stupid old blade grinder. It is like I went 2-3 levels up in the quality of coffee taste.

I'm kicking myself for not getting one sooner. I looked several times at them over the years, but finally after I had a coffee overflow (due to excess fines from the blade grinder), I decided to go for it. I found an extremely good deal on a very slightly used Capresso Infinity and am happy I made the change.

I guess I'm one step closer to a coffee snob now. :)
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • tonyb
    Atta boy Bill, we'll turn you into that coffee snob yet. Upgrade that power cord on the grinder too...lol.

It's the little things you never stopped to think about that matter. Until you actually try them and get that AHA moment, you understand what all the flap was about.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Jimbo18
    Just got my second order of Jamaican Blue Mt. from eBay. This time 11 lbs. and the price was a little under $12/lb. Not bad. Not all for me, of course, I had sold several others on the taste of it.
  • Moose68Bash
    I suppose I'm a coffee snob, and I don't like to rain on anybody's parade.

Nevertheless, just as you can't get a pair of authentic 2m AQ Sky interconnects on eBay for $100.00, I don't think you can get authentic estate grown Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee beans on eBay for $12.00/lb.

They can't grow enough of the real thing to satisfy the Japanese market for beans at $90.00+/lb.

Why would they sell it on eBay for $12.00/lb.?

The beans on eBay may be beans from Jamaica that are close to an authentic Jamaican Blue Mountain estate, but the real thing?

If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

On the other hand, just as some dispute whether you can hear the difference between AQ Sky interconnects and AQ King Cobras, some may dispute whether you can taste the difference between authentic JMB, and other Jamaican "close relatives."

De gustibus non disputandum est! :)

• maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    I tried the stuff on Ebay. It's good but not great compared to the price you pay for it. Perhaps Moose is right and it's not authentic.

My coffee is personally imported espresso from Italy. Then brewed on the stove with a Bialetti espresso maker.
  • Mikey081057
    Did you mean JBM (JMB) it's authentic and delicious... The difference is they roaster brings in the raw green beans and roasts them here as opposed to importing the roasted finished (stale) packaged product. This roaster is excellent...There are blends and other inferior products but this is the real deal.

• Jimbo18
    Did you mean JBM (JMB) it's authentic and delicious... The difference is the roaster brings in the raw green beans and roasts them here as opposed to importing the roasted finished (stale) packaged product. This roaster is excellent...There are blends and other inferior products but this is the real deal.

I can't say how this stuff compares to $90/lb coffee from Jamaica, but it's delicious, medium roasted, low acid and full flavored. I am very happy with it.

Just like with the cables, don't knock it till you try it.
  • Moose68Bash
    edited March 2016

I can't say how this stuff compares to $90/lb coffee from Jamaica, but it's delicious, medium roasted, low acid and full flavored. I am very happy with it.

Just like with the cables, don't knock it till you try it.

@Jimbo18, I couldn't agree more!

@Mikey081057, sorry for the typo. I meant "JBM," of course.

One of my wife's cousins and her husband live in Jamaica. He is a native-born Jamaican. On occasion they have sent me 1# sample bags of Jamaican beans that are estate grown, but not JBM. They tell me Jamaicans generally do not drink JBM because of the price v. value and taste.

Of the samples they have sent me, I have found Kew Park Jamaican and Barronhill Jamaican to be the best to my taste.

• tonyb
    All this talk of JBM....when are you guys gonna Karma a pound ? Half a pound ? In with 69....can I pick more than one number ? :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Jimbo18
    All this talk of JBM....when are you guys gonna Karma a pound ? Half a pound ? In with 69....can I pick more than one number ? :)

Good idea. I will see what I can come up with.
  • Mikey081057
    Tony... PM Me your addy and I 'll send you 1 ...I just ordered today and get a free pound so I'll share it...

• tonyb
    PM sent....your a scholar of a man my friend. If a 20 buck hooker shows up at your door, it was a gift from me. If the wife answers the door though, it was a gift from Russ. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited March 2016
    PM sent....your a scholar of a man my friend. If a 20 buck hooker shows up at your door, it was a gift from me. If the wife answers the door though, it was a gift from Russ. ;)

Well shoot.....it WAS going to be a surprise..
    Nice work, dipstick!
    Cat's out of the bag now.
  • tonyb
    HA....I like to stay on the good side of the woman of the house....for when I coast into town on fumes.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I use a ceramic Hario v60 ceramic coffee dripper with an 800ml V60 Glass Coffee Server. I use Hario brown paper filters and a Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill Skerton. I also use a pour over kettle with a long spout. I like it. It's simple and easy to clean. Makes really good coffee. After a bit of experimentation (grounds:water) I know how I like it. It's kind of a cathartic way to start the day.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10