Gang rape victim sentenced to jail and lashes.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,440
    edited November 2007
    I never said I hate america I hate what the government in power is doing. But just over a year left and it'll start to change when the sanity comes back to the whitehouse

Since this thread is heading for a lock down because YOU keep talking politics, I'll throw this fact out. It's not the government in power, it's the party in power, which at this time are the Democrats, not the Republican President sitting in the White House. Together, the House, the Senate and the President form our Federal government.

We have a system of checks and balances in our government, you would do well to learn about it before commenting.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• carpenter
    carpenter Posts: 362
    edited November 2007
    And to think this thread started with Saudi Arabia's scandalous treatment of rape victims.
    How is any government other then the one in Saudi can be held responsible for that unfortunate reality is beyond me. I had no idea the US endorses gang rape:rolleyes:
    ROTFLMAO! looks like some folks were itching to puke all their enlightened views about the US government, no matter how acrobatic a troll needs be the excuse.
    "If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2007
    JimBRICK wrote: »
    C)Extremists want to kill everyone who won't bow to the will of the teachings of the Qur’ān. We helped extiguish the Taliban and stopped after that cause we knew we had no right to invade Iraq. Your government has been outed on many occasions for invading on false pretenses. Just to let you know your government lied to you, there were no WOMD in Iraq and they knew that and sent your brave soldiers there anyways.

Ummm...Canada has done about nothing to get rid of terrorists. In fact, Canada is a major threat for terrorists coming into the US.
    http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2002/7/9/162022.shtml
    http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/05/29/csis-terrorthreat.html
    http://www.jihadwatch.org/archives/003802.php
    http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/story.html?id=8ef8514e-3fa2-44e2-83ee-6073a8e6ea19
    http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull&cid=1148482069528
    and one of my favorites:
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1571/is_23_18/ai_87917219

The book Cold Terror is a good read as well.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited November 2007
    carpenter wrote: »
    And to think this thread started with Saudi Arabia's scandalous treatment of rape victims.
    How is any government other then the one in Saudi can be held responsible for that unfortunate reality is beyond me. I had no idea the US endorses gang rape:rolleyes:
    ROTFLMAO! looks like some folks were itching to puke all their enlightened views about the US government, no matter how acrobatic a troll needs be the excuse.

Perhaps its because every US President in recent history has visited Saudi Arabia, shaken hands with the King, and established trade policies with Saudi Arabia. So, we are making no effort what-so-ever to establish trade policies that support human rights issues when it comes to Saudi.

Its all about OIL. We could care less how Saudi Arabia punishes its citizens who break absurd laws. The US and Saudi Arabia are close allies. Go figure.
  • carpenter
    edited November 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »
    Perhaps its because every US President in recent history has visited Saudi Arabia, shaken hands with the King, and established trade policies with Saudi Arabia. So, we are making no effort what-so-ever to establish trade policies that support human rights issues when it comes to Saudi.

Its all about OIL. We could care less how Saudi Arabia punishes its citizens who break absurd laws. The US and Saudi Arabia are close allies. Go figure.

If I understand you properly, you suggest an oil trade ban on Saudi until they clean up their act? if so, that might be an admirable approach, but why stop at Saudi? how about china? they incarcerate bloggers who have the courage to criticize their government. they execute people who attempt any real opposition.
    what about Russia? the ex-KGB kills journalists and political opposition to Putin.
    There are more, but you get what I'm saying.

BTW, I believe US presidents also visited the UK, Canada, Mexico.
    "If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited November 2007

now that I can agree with
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2007
    The US and Saudi Arabia are close allies. Go figure.

Not entirely true. We are their close ally. They ARE NOT our close ally. They are only in trade, that's it. They won't let us launch from their land or even completely fly over it in our struggle against the terroists in Iraq. Turkey on the other hand IS our complete ally.
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007

Of course it has a negative conotation against America. Jim you are so transparent.
  • carpenter
    edited November 2007

|shocked smiley goes here| ;)

BTW if I'm not mistaken Canada is the number one exporter of oil to the US.
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,621
    edited November 2007
    carpenter wrote: »
    |shocked smiley goes here| ;)

BTW if I'm not mistaken Canada is the number one exporter of oil to the US.

Correct!

Crude Oil Imports (Top 15 Countries)
    (Thousand Barrels per Day)
    Country Sep-07 Aug-07 YTD 2007 Sep-06 Jan - Sep 2006

CANADA 1,956 1,950 1,864 1,753 1,777
    SAUDI ARABIA 1,441 1,468 1,428 1,546 1,424
    MEXICO 1,293 1,381 1,431 1,441 1,638
    VENEZUELA 1,146 1,138 1,123 1,129 1,162
    NIGERIA 1,137 1,184 1,038 966 1,053
    IRAQ 603 520 494 655 572
    ANGOLA 578 400 530 648 504
    ALGERIA 503 572 509 453 359
    ECUADOR 234 240 200 319 273
    BRAZIL 213 250 176 99 127
    COLOMBIA 165 152 130 170 161
    KUWAIT 143 139 184 227 166
    OMAN 115 79 30 48 35
    RUSSIA 100 90 122 183 115
    CHAD 96 62 70 126

Yep, looks like those Canadians got us bent over a barrel - so to speak :D
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited November 2007
    you know what SNoW, I'm a canadian citizen and it makes me sick to know that I know more about the political stance of the united states government than the people living in the US. You can wave a flag all you want but you know the rest of the world knows the truth. Stay in you bubble and feel cofortable. just keep ironing on that canadian flag to your backpack when you go traveling.

I understand that America bashing is a grand sport for some people. Most of it is fueled by jealousy. A lot of it is fueled by ignorance.

Actually, when you put this country's history, which is a mere 231 years, in perspective with many other nations, who measure their histories in thousands of years, it is miraculous how much growth and social reform has taken place. The USA's relatively young age means that its past indiscretions are more recent in the mind and more accessible than those of older nations. Even more than that, the freedoms enjoyed by USA information and media organizations puts everything "out there" for the world to see. Most countries have had and continue to have the "advantage" of absolute control of their information infrastructure. This has made for the efficient coverup of embarrasing and incriminating information.

I certainly do not turn a blind eye to the bad things that America has participated in, such as genocidal wars against Native Americans, slavery, and civil war. However, to be fair and balanced, I must also look at the good things that America had done, such as worldwide relief efforts, advances in medicine and technology, taking in millions and millions of economic and political refugees (through both legitimate and illegitimate channels), and, most importantly, the freedoms that its citizens enjoy. I think that anyone who weighs the good and bad of this country will find overwhelming good...so much so that millions of foreigners come here to participate in the economic, educational, and lifestyle advantages offered here.

If the current "political stance" of the USA sickens you, just be patient. In our country, the political stance changes every few years, and, unlike in many older countries, it manages to change without violent confrontation.

If you, or anyone else, can inform me of another country where I can enjoy more personal, educational, political, and religious freedom and more economic opportunity, I would greatly appreciate it. I guarantee you that I will start making plans to move there immediately.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,621
    edited November 2007
    Well said DarqueKnight, having been to a few other countries, I have found none better than the US. Good place to hang your hat at night.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2007
    Geographically speaking........CANADA...THE LUCKIEST COUNTRY ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH!!!

Protected from the west and south by the United States , from the east by the Atlantic, and from the north by the Arctic Circle.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • rskarvan
    edited November 2007
    Not entirely true. We are their close ally. They ARE NOT our close ally. They are only in trade, that's it. They won't let us launch from their land or even completely fly over it in our struggle against the terroists in Iraq. Turkey on the other hand IS our complete ally.

Saudi Arabia is the holy land for Islam. The entire country is pretty much considered to be "a church". This is why there are such strict laws regarding supporting the beliefs of the Quran. It doesn't make sense to allow the infidels (USA) to stage military actions from an Islam Church (Saudi Arabia) against an Islam nation (Iraq).

I do have a question though. Why is the USA so darn concerned about Israel? Its a little sliver of Christianity in a vast sea of Islam. Too much trouble to maintain - from my perspective.
  • ND13
    edited November 2007
    nevermind, that's not what the thread WAS about.
  • carpenter
    edited November 2007
    I do have a question though. Why is the USA so darn concerned about Israel? Its a little sliver of Christianity in a vast sea of Islam. Too much trouble to maintain - from my perspective.

Emmmm dude, I think you got your facts a little mixed up.
    Israel is a Jewish country. not a Christian one.

I can hear JimBrick laughing his **** off ;)
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    Saudi Arabia is the holy land for Islam. The entire country is pretty much considered to be "a church". This is why there are such strict laws regarding supporting the beliefs of the Quran. It doesn't make sense to allow the infidels (USA) to stage military actions from an Islam Church (Saudi Arabia) against an Islam nation (Iraq).

You mean a little sliver of Judaism?:confused: I don't think it has anything to do with what religion(s) is in Israel. Israel being a democracy amoung dictatorships and Royal families might have some thing to do with it.

I have my thoughts and beliefs on this but this is definitely not the place for that discussion.
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited November 2007
    ND13 wrote: »
    Geographically speaking........CANADA...THE LUCKIEST COUNTRY ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH!!!

Protected from the west and south by the United States , from the east by the Atlantic, and from the north by the Arctic Circle.
    Dont forget anyone trying to get into canada from the north also has to get through alaska and that wont be easy. We have a huge amount of military forces up here per capita not to mention the largest amount of american vets per capita lives here, one out of every 7 alaskans men women and children included is a veteran it wont be an easy task to get there, through here.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • rskarvan
    edited November 2007
    You mean a little sliver of Judaism?:confused: I don't think it has anything to do with what religion(s) is in Israel. Israel being a democracy amoung dictatorships and Royal families might have some thing to do with it.

I have my thoughts and beliefs on this but this is definitely not the place for that discussion.

Ok, ok, ok.... Israel is Jewish. Jesus was Jewish. Christians believe in Jesus. Close enough to Christian if you ask me. But, anyway, you get the idea.
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited November 2007
    IIf you, or anyone else, can inform me of another country where I can enjoy more personal, educational, political, and religious freedom and more economic opportunity, I would greatly appreciate it. I guarantee you that I will start making plans to move there immediately.

Its called Canada, come on down we have free healthcare too
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • snow
    edited November 2007
    =)) =)) =)) ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ **== **== **== %-( %-( %-(

SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited November 2007
    Ok, ok, ok.... Israel is Jewish. Jesus was Jewish. Christians believe in Jesus. Close enough to Christian if you ask me. But, anyway, you get the idea.

So by your logic the Isreali's are also Muslim since they both believe that Abraham was a profit and in the old testament laws then right? So Jews, Christians, and Muslims are all one big happy religion.... :rolleyes:
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • DarqueKnight
    edited November 2007
    Saudi Arabia is the holy land for Islam. The entire country is pretty much considered to be "a church". This is why there are such strict laws regarding supporting the beliefs of the Quran.

Saudi Arabia is an oppresive dictatorship in the guise of a "benevolent" Muslim monarchy. What better way to bend peoples' minds to your will than to set yourself up as a representative of "god". That way, if you dare voice any opposition to the regime, you are actually opposing "god" and you deserve whatever wrath "god's" self-appointed representatives deem appropriate. Leaders of oppressive religious cults in this country use the same tactics.

The Qu'Ran does not advocate oppression of women, segregation of the sexes or any other kind of oppression. It does not require women to cover themselves from head to toe in a "tent". According to Saudi authorities, their interpretation of the Qu'Ran is strictly for the "protection" of women. If that is true, why are Saudi men allowed to travel to, work in, and go to university in countries where women are not covered head to toe? I am not aware of reports of male Saudi university students, in this country, or any other country, going on raping sprees at the sight all the tempting female flesh on display, both on campus and off. Another thing, I have seen pictures of female members of the Saudi royal family wearing Western style dresses (dresses showing cleavage, dresses hemmed above the knee, etc.). Why is it ok for a female royal family member to be photographed in "inappropriate" attire, but a common Saudi female wearing the same attire would be a legitimate target for beatings and sexual assualt? It is simple hypocracy. The same brand of hypocracy that religious cult leaders display when they rigidly control the sexual practices of their cult members while engaging in all manner of sexual debauchery behind closed doors.

I do have a question though. Why is the USA so darn concerned about Israel? Too much trouble to maintain - from my perspective.

The average American is not concerned about Israel. The politicians are. If you were a politician elected to high office in this country and dependent on access to the media and campaign contributions, you would have a much different perspective. You seem like a smart fellow. Do some research on who owns many of the major broadcast and print media facilities in this country. Next, do some research on ownership of major financial institutions in this country. Are you aware that money talks?
  • carpenter
    edited November 2007
    The average American is not concerned about Israel. The politicians are. If you were a politician elected to high office in this country and dependent on access to the media and campaign contributions, you would have a much different perspective. You seem like a smart fellow. Do some research on who owns many of the major broadcast and print media facilities in this country. Next, do some research on ownership of major financial institutions in this country. Are you aware that money talks?

So Rupert Murdoch and Ted turner also has their weaner tips chopped off way to early in life? I think not ;)

The US also support Turkey and Egypt in that region.
    The reason is simple enough. these are all pro-American stable democracies (well Egypt is a coin toss, but the government there is making huge efforts to keep the Muslim fanatics from taking over).
    This is a region that usually uses Old Glory as a door mat or as burning material. nurturing allays over there makes sense.
    the US is also making a big effort to get Lebanon out of its bind, because the simple reality is that where ever the Americans leave the Iranians rush in.
    an all Islamic fanatic middle east, is quite a nightmare scenario to the average American, it is also one of the major goals of Al Quida.

...... waiting to see where this thread will further be trolled :D
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    we have free healthcare too

Yeah that why there was a big scandal "up there" (down there is the Gulf of Mexico) about a bunch of your politicians going to California to get medical attention because they would have to wait too long in Canada to get the medical attention they so desperately needed before they died of their illness.

Jim you can't win this, even some of your countrymen are on you; just gracefully back out an let it go.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2007

I assume you pay taxes, Jim. Nothing is free, just because the government regulates it doesn't mean you're not paying for it somehow.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • DarqueKnight
    edited November 2007

Your universal healthcare system is an admirable institution. However, before I jump across the border, I need more incentive than free trips to the doctor. Economic opportunity is far more important to me because when you have the opportunity to earn money, everything else falls into place.

Let me give you some insight from my personal history. I was able to receive an excellent education, free of charge, up to finishing high school. I did well in my school work and was offered many opportunities to attend college...all over the country. Even if I did not want to attend college, other vocational training was available to me free of charge so that I could learn a trade and thereby earn a good living. I chose the college route. My college education was paid for by a combination of government grants and scholarships. I didn't pay for book, paper, or pencils. When I graduated, I took advantage of government sponsored programs for first time homebuyers and became a homeowner in my early twenties. I bought a nice three bedroom two bath home in a nice neighborhood.

Homeownership is one of the best wealth building vehicles available to the common man or woman. Question: How many (single) people in Canada are able to become homeowners in their early twenties?

Question: What is Canada's educational infrastucture like? I, and my fellow Americans, have access to literally thousands of educational opportunities. Any qualified American who wants a good college education can get one...and often from a college near their home. If you are a good student and are diligent about seeking scholarship and other funding opportunities, such education is available at little or no cost. After I started working in my profession, I took advantage of my employer's educational programs and received three graduate degrees. Again, I did not pay for book, paper, or pencils.

Most countries have one or two truly excellent universities. They certainly have nothing like our Ivy League. Even outside of the prestigious Ivy League, other prestigious private institutions like MIT, Stanford, Rice, and Duke set global standards for educational excellence. Our public higher education institutions are nothing to sneeze at either. In every region of this country, students have access to a nearby major public research institution like the University of California, University of Michigan, University of Colorado, University of North Carolina, Louisiana State University...and on and on and on. Students who do not qualify for admission to a major public or private university can receive a quality education at a regional university or community.

Question: How easy is it for the "average" citizen to acquire economic security and even wealth? Are there opportunities in Canada for a poor boy, like Brad Pitt, to become fabulously wealthy while still a young man? Why do so many Canadian entertainers, athletes, and models come to the U.S.? If Celene Dion (a proud Canadian) had never set foot in America, would she be living in a marble and gold trimmed palace today? If Pamela Anderson (a doubly proud Canadian) had kept her surgically enhanced **** on Canadian television, would she be the wealthy woman she is today? Would she have had the opportunity to mingle with and marry wealthy rock stars? Are there any wealthy rock stars in Canada? If there are, did they get their cash in Canada or in the USA? Please provide specific examples.

The history of this country is full of examples of people who were born in average to disadvantaged circumstances and were able to achieve financial security for themselves and their families at a early age...and I am not just talking about athletes and entertainers, although those are the stories most people are familiar with. Most people who acquired wealth in this country did so by honest entrepreneurship. The economic laws of the USA actually encourage entrepreneurship. Question: how easy is it for the average Canadian to build wealth through private business ownership?

Question: What is the tax structure in Canada like? How much of every dollar does the average, non-wealthy, get to put in his bank account/pocket? Americans like to **** about our heavy tax burden, but really, compared to the tax burden that citizens of socialistic countries endure, we've got it good here. I own an engineering consulting firm, so I have some knowledge of such things.

Question: How mobile is Canadian society? The economy and the information infrastructure in the USA facilitates a truly mobile society. A citizen who wants to experience life in various parts of the country is absolutely free to do so. A wide variety of informational tools are available to make looking for a new home and new job convenient and simple. If a citizen does not have access to the Internet in their homes, there is a public library down the street that does...this is free of charge. Question: What information infrastructure tools are available to the average Canadian, particularly those who cannot afford subscriptions to Internet Service Providers?

Question: What disaster relief resources are available to Canadian citizens in the event of a catastrophe?

The media made much of the slow government response to the Katrina hurricane disaster two years ago, and they were right to do so. However, even in all that confusion, the authorities were able to relocate hundreds of thousands of people to other locations around the country. Due to the strength of the American economy, we had the resources, running in the billions of dollars, to help hundreds of thousands of people get back on their feet. Many of the displaced citizens have a better quality of life than what they had while living in New Orleans and other places in the Gulf south. If a disaster the magnitude of Katrina were to strike Toronto, how would the Canadian authorities mitigate it?

Question: Let's pretend that the US military disappeared tomorrow. Would you feel more secure in your country (Canada), less secure, or the same?

Question: I feel that the US military is the best educated, best equipped, and best trained military force in the world. Tell me why I should voluntarily leave a country that can provide that level of security.

Getting back to health care, I realize that many people in this country do not have access to adequate health care. That is a serious problem we need to solve. In my case, I have always had access to excellent health care through my parents' coverage when I was a child and through my employers as an adult. I realize that I could have been one of the less fortunate.

As I said before, free health care is not incentive enough to deal with those Canadian winters. Before I make a run for the border, I need some assurance that I and my kids will have better educational and economic opportunities than those available here in the USA, and that our personal freedoms and security will be backed up by a world class professional military. As soon as I receive those assurances, I'll be booking my one way flight to the land of brightly colored maple leaves.

P.S. Are there any good audio forums up in Canada?
  • ND13
    edited November 2007
    Booya!!!!
  • Manilaboy
    Manilaboy Posts: 49
    edited November 2007
    I guess the previous exchanges demonstrate how people of different cultures and nations are more than willing to stand up and fight to defend their beliefs. This just goes to show why RESPECT for Saudi culture, American culture, Canadian culture, or any other culture which may be radically different from our own is necessary to keep us from killing each other off. Respecting someone's way off life or point of view does not necessarily mean agreeing with him, but acknowledging that he has every right to express and practice what he believes in, just as we have every right to express our opposing point of view. In a free and open discussion such as this, trading insults and culture-bashing is in my opinion uncalled for... but admittedly, it does contribute to the entertainment value. :)
  • snow
    edited November 2007
    Manilaboy wrote: »
    I guess the previous exchanges demonstrate how people of different cultures and nations are more than willing to stand up and fight to defend their beliefs. This just goes to show why RESPECT for Saudi culture, American culture, Canadian culture, or any other culture which may be radically different from our own is necessary to keep us from killing each other off. Respecting someone's way off life or point of view does not necessarily mean agreeing with him, but acknowledging that he has every right to express and practice what he believes in, just as we have every right to express our opposing point of view. In a free and open discussion such as this, trading insults and culture-bashing is in my opinion uncalled for... but admittedly, it does contribute to the entertainment value. :)
    Agreed. Up to the point that human rights are involved such as genocide etc. We as humans are not supposed to act in babaric form. I have no issue with Islam or any other religion as long as it doesnt involve killing people or harming them in some inhumane way. I feel you should be free to worship whatever god or gods you wish, whether it be monkeys, tree frogs, the sun ,moon, stars or anything else the mind can dream up. Live and let live.

REGARDS SNOW
This discussion has been closed.