Gang rape victim sentenced to jail and lashes.

Comments

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited November 2007
    Manilaboy wrote: »
    Maybe the US should just invade saudi arabia as well and put up its own courts there to give justice to the poor girl?

eh, I dont wanna go to war over how they treat there women. I'll still call a spade a spade, or an oppresive society of women haters an oppresive society of women haters.......hey, you say tomato :rolleyes:

I think your right though, i se your underlying point. How dare the US meddle in other cultures, like defeating Nazism, Fascism, Communism, et al, thus making the world a better place. Arent we just **** :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;);):D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • ohskigod
    edited November 2007
    Polk user wrote: »
    Some of you just don't understand the passion they have for their own culture and they refuse to lose their culture to our degraded western ways.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,311947,00.html

degraded....lol. Hey, I like chicks in bikinis, I like not whipping 19 yr old rape victims, I like a general free society not dictated by an oppresive religion.

aint I just a degraded savage?....ROTFLMAO!!!!!!! :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

you guys call it a culture, I'll call it a bunch of manaical bullies with a penchant for killing the weak and defenseless. like I said, tomato, tomahto.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • irishaz
    irishaz Posts: 161
    edited November 2007
    degraded....lol. Hey, I like chicks in bikinis, I like not whipping 19 yr old rape victims, I like a general free society not dictated by an oppresive religion.

+1 to that.
    If you will read the news article more closely, she didn't get that punishment for being raped, but for being with her guy friend in the car in the first place... a big no no in their culture.

If YOU will read the news article more closely, you will also see that her punishment was doubled for simply defending herself...and her lawyer was punished as well. That's not culture, that's oppression. Doing despicable things in the name of religion or culture doesn't make them right, it just makes the people doing these awful things feel better and justified in their actions.

Our degraded western ways....sheesh. We don't set up financial assistance for the families of suicide bombers, but we are the ones that are degraded.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited November 2007
    Well since you approve so much, feel free to move to whatever oppressive, sexist, fanatical country you choose.

I will be more than happy to be degraded by having an education, being able to own property, having a job, having control over MY body, & having the freedom to report a EFFIN rapist to the police & seeing the **** sent away for several years.

Now granted before that happens the defense attorney will try everything possible to say that I asked for it somehow & try to put ME on trial, but in the end justice will prevail!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

Polk user wrote: »
    Some of you just don't understand the passion they have for their own culture and they refuse to lose their culture to our degraded western ways.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,311947,00.html
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2007
    Ya'll need to remember that this is Muslim part of town and just like you and your beliefs, they take them very seriously and many of them directly conflict with yours. From their perspective, you are the heretic Satan worshiper and they don’t want anything to do with your Gods (by and large even though they say that everyone is a Muslim in a way). Hey… wow… much in the same way that you feel about them.

You know... this country 100+ years ago wasn’t all that much different. We hung blacks and beat our women just the same for the same reason.

Simple fact, this is an extreme example of extreme culture clash, and yes, we can all sit here and think their culture sucks **** (I admit, I think so to) and we are NOT going to convert them (isn’t Iraq proving that?). Ask yourself if a Muslim came to your church if he could convince you all to switch over. However we can try to help them follow our own path of “civilization” and get them to change some of these extreme views like we did ourselves over the past 300 years. This kind of thing has been working in the world but usually follows industrialization, education and globalization of the population in the country. But to sit in your computer chair and wonder why these people with completely different world histories, religions and cultures don’t embrace your religion, your culture and the American way is ridiculous. A lot of people in the USA fail to realize that this country is just about as fundamental fanatical Judeo-Christian as they are Muslim.

It’s too bad we have a small set of extreme cultural bigots in the USA who will refute this and hide behind "Im just not PC".
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited November 2007
    ohskigod wrote: »
    eh, I dont wanna go to war over how they treat there women. I'll still call a spade a spade, or an oppresive society of women haters an oppresive society of women haters.......hey, you say tomato :rolleyes:

I think your right though, i se your underlying point. How dare the US meddle in other cultures, like defeating Nazism, Fascism, Communism, et al, thus making the world a better place. Arent we just **** :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;);):D

The US has done more damage to the world than has made a positive contribution. If you look at the history, you'll see your government has helped communism and facism thrive when it was in their best interest. The CIA has had a hand in every 3rd world country on the planet that has oil, drugs or precious metals. Your soldiers are fighting extremists who are using alot of weapons given to them by your own country years ago when these extremists were fighting to rid the world of communism. So point the finger at yourself before you point it at others.
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited November 2007
    JimBRICK wrote: »
    The US has done more damage to the world than has made a positive contribution. If you look at the history, you'll see your government has helped communism and facism thrive when it was in their best interest. The CIA has had a hand in every 3rd world country on the planet that has oil, drugs or precious metals. Your soldiers are fighting extremists who are using alot of weapons given to them by your own country years ago when these extremists were fighting to rid the world of communism. So point the finger at yourself before you point it at others.

Sooooo where is the enforcment of that rule about not talking politics?

I'm usually not one to break the rules, but I gotta say Jim... you're just wrong.

Also, before YOU start pointing the finger and singing "Oh Canada" - maybe you should look at your nations history and relationship with the USA and how you've benefited and even gone with us throughout many of the very things you just mentioned.

Practice what you preach dude. Oh, and shame on your for turning a thread about something so terrible into a way to bash America.

I BEAT THE LOCK! YAY!

Kill this thread, please. k, thx.
  • ohskigod
    edited November 2007
    uh.....you do know Canada has the best military in the world right? its called the US armed forces.........lol

If Canada was....say....right next to Iran, you would be invaded, conquered, and all be following the Muslim faith right now (the really bad fundamentalist type), so maybe cut us a little slack for some errors in the past eh?

are we perfect, nope. we got TONS of stuff in our history to not be proud of, as do other countries, and humanity overall.

here's the difference, WE CHANGE!!!! did people get lynched in the south, absolutly, but we had people in the same time period knowing it was wrong, and shedding blood to correct it. Eventually, after alot of shed blood and effort, we changed. Thats what a culture that makes every attempt to follow a moral code does.

but youre saying the world would be better without the US (and Britain and others on the same page) defending the world's basic freedoms to the best of its abilities.

Jim, your out of your tree brotha. what can I tell ya.
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• ohskigod
    edited November 2007
    oh, and the extremists were NOT fighting to rid the world of communism, they were stopping it from invading them.......I mean puhLEASSE!!!!!

Jim, your a riot :D:D:D
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• JimBRICK
    edited November 2007
    oh, and the extremists were NOT fighting to rid the world of communism, they were stopping it from invading them.......I mean puhLEASSE!!!!!

Jim, your a riot :D:D:D

Like they are fighting the next invading force now :)

And I'm not BASHING the US. I have alot of american friends living on the border. I'm stating facts.
    2 CHANNEL
    Under construction
  • ohskigod
    edited November 2007
    Silverti wrote: »

Ask yourself if a Muslim came to your church if he could convince you all to switch over...........................

first of all, they wouldnt ask, they would suicide bomb, and try to convert us by force................ Do you honestly believe that is NOT the reason for terror attacks?
    It’s too bad we have a small set of extreme cultural bigots in the USA who will refute this and hide behind "Im just not PC".

If calling the lashing of a 19 year old girl for hanging with a guy in a car and getting RAPED makes me a bigot, then yep.........I'm a bigot. I'm very confortable with that

I dont want them to change religions, thy can worship Sheep for all I care, just stop treating your HUMAN women like animals. Am I asking to much here? I mean really.
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• JimBRICK
    edited November 2007
    Funny how we've never lost a war:) But hey our army stinks so bad you guys bomb us in friendly fire. Don't forget we were fighting WW2 2 years before you guys decided to get into it. And just for the record Black people are still being lynched in the south take a trip down to tennesee. Not to mention the churches being burned down

uh.....you do know Canada has the best military in the world right? its called the US armed forces.........lol

If Canada was....say....right next to Iran, you would be invaded, conquered, and all be following the Muslim faith right now (the really bad fundamentalist type), so maybe cut us a little slack for some errors in the past eh?

are we perfect, nope. we got TONS of stuff in our history to not be proud of, as do other countries, and humanity overall.

here's the difference, WE CHANGE!!!! did people get lynched in the south, absolutly, but we had people in the same time period knowing it was wrong, and shedding blood to correct it. Eventually, after alot of shed blood and effort, we changed. Thats what a culture that makes every attempt to follow a moral code does.

but youre saying the world would be better without the US (and Britain and others on the same page) defending the world's basic freedoms to the best of its abilities.

Jim, your out of your tree brotha. what can I tell ya.
    2 CHANNEL
    Under construction
  • ohskigod
    edited November 2007
    Like they are fighting the next invading force now :)

the difference is, its not as much as the Iraqi's fighting us, as it is people as foreign to Iraq as we are (Al QAEDA). If we arent fighting them there, we would be fighting them elsewhere, possibly even on our own soil.

This is an ideological war folks, make no mistakes. Its been in the making LOOOOONG before 9/11 and Iraq. This is what many people seem to miss

it is....unfortunatly....going to come down to choosing if you want the extreme Islamic lifestyle* or ours. (thats both US and Canada). Me, I choose ours, call me kooky.

*this does not include those of the Islamic faith that seem to be just peachy about living here and doing there own thing.
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• ohskigod
    edited November 2007
    And just for the record Black people are still being lynched in the south take a trip down to tennesee. Not to mention the churches being burned down

and as a society, we treat it as a crime and punish accordingly.........not lashing people for getting in the position of being lynched, THATS THE DIFFERENCE ;)

cant take violent crime in one society and compare it to Judicial procedure and established acceptable culture in another, I gotta call shenanigans on that..lol
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• JimBRICK
    edited November 2007
    thats what your not seeing. THEIR laws say a women cannot be with a man not related to her in public. She broke that law (I dont agree with) but its not our place to say their laws are wrong. The ironic thing is if she would have followed their law this wouldn't have happened. Showing they have those laws for a reason
    2 CHANNEL
    Under construction
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2007
    first of all, they wouldnt ask, they would suicide bomb, and try to convert us by force................ Do you honestly believe that is NOT the reason for terror attacks?

Fundemantal lack of historical perspective in the region.

As if the west hasnt killed a billion people in the region in the past 5000 years.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited November 2007
    Keiko wrote: »
    Insane world we have created.

I had nothing to do with creating that crap and neither has this country.
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited November 2007
    Funny how we've never lost a war:) But hey our army stinks so bad you guys bomb us in friendly fire. Don't forget we were fighting WW2 2 years before you guys decided to get into it. And just for the record Black people are still being lynched in the south take a trip down to tennesee. Not to mention the churches being burned down

I always stay away from these arguments, but I have to respond to this one. Is's funny then how in the 22 years that I lived in the deep South (South Louisiana), I never saw one lynched black person nor one burned church. I've been to every state in the south multiple times and have never witnessed any of this stuff. You make it sound like there's a body hanging from every tree limb down there.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • ohskigod
    edited November 2007
    Fundemantal lack of historical perspective in the region.

As if the west hasnt killed a billion people in the region in the past 5000 years.

uh......the society i am a part of now didnt exist 5000 years ago. Dude, CHRISTIANITY didnt even exist 5000 years ago. and 5000 years ago affects me not wanting to die in a fiery death today.....how?!?!?!

WTF dude!!!!!!!!!!

welcome to today :)

p.s. please.....pretty please with effing sugar on top....tell me your not talking about the crusades..lol
    I havent laughed this hard in my office since I dont know when. I having chest pains over here..lol
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2007
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071116/ap_on_re_mi_ea/saudi_justice

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - A Saudi court sentenced a woman who had been gang raped to six months in jail and 200 lashes — more than doubling her initial penalty for being in the car of a man who was not a relative, a newspaper reported Thursday.

In its decision Wednesday, the court also roughly doubled prison sentences for the seven men convicted of raping the 19-year-old woman, the Arab News reported on its English-language Web site.

"I explained to them that it was my job to do everything legal in order to serve my client. But they did not listen," the lawyer, Abdul Rahman al-Lahem, was quoted by the paper as saying.

Well. That ....... sucks.

:(

This is one of the reasons we need to pull out of Iraq instantly!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • ohskigod
    edited November 2007
    thats what your not seeing. THEIR laws say a women cannot be with a man not related to her in public.

uh, thats called "oppression". call me kooky, but ITS WRONG!!!!!!!!!

I guess if there law allowed slavery, that would be cool too?

holy ****, are you people serious :eek::eek::eek:
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    Well in the first place, I dont think they're as bad as what you said, otherwise Saudi arabia wouldn't be US ally.

Ally your backside!!! They are no ally.:rolleyes:

Turkey is an ally and the Democrates want to alienate them for something that occured in WWI.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited November 2007
    I read an article about how the king was pouring billions into creating a high tech university similar to MIT or CalTech. The campus was to be open to both sex with no bounderies separating the two and no separate entrances for male and female. The religious police is barred from entering this campus.

The toughest part will be trying to recruit the faculty, especially MIT professors. I think this event will be a step backwards to achieving the goals of an MIT in the desert.
  • ohskigod
    edited November 2007
    wodom1 wrote: »
    I always stay away from these arguments, but I have to respond to this one. Is's funny then how in the 22 years that I lived in the deep South (South Louisiana), I never saw one lynched black person nor one burned church. I've been to every state in the south multiple times and have never witnessed any of this stuff. You make it sound like there's a body hanging from every tree limb down there.

I guess Jim thinks your nothing if not all blindly following your stereotype..lol :rolleyes:
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• SolidSqual
    edited November 2007
    If you believe this, you are a coward and have no sense of responsibility. A good person does not allow a weak person to be beat down and subjugated by a bunch of ****. Thinking you have no responsibility is selfish.
    This is one of the reasons we need to pull out of Iraq instantly!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • ohskigod
    edited November 2007
    I read an article about how the king was pouring billions into creating a high tech university similar to MIT or CalTech. The campus was to be open to both sex with no bounderies separating the two and no separate entrances for male and female. The religious police is barred from entering this campus.

The toughest part will be trying to recruit the faculty, especially MIT professors. I think this event will be a step backwards to achieving the goals of an MIT in the desert.

eh, if thats true, then I'll begrudgingly give the king a point or 2 for the attempt. I'll be happy with any change in the right direction for women's rights in that country, and this is coming from me? a macho chauvanitic pig? go figure :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited November 2007
    Another thing about Saudi Arabia... there law goes something like this:

If a crime against a woman is committed, it goes to a judge.
    There is no jury. But, witnesses are considered.
    A male witness has a full vote.
    A female witness has a half a vote.
    And, guys win all ties.

So, basically, it takes three women witnesses to convict a guy of ANYTHING.

Then, the judge determines the punishment... mostly based upon how much wrong the guy did to the woman's family. If he raped a guys wife, that is punishable by death. And the beheading is performed by the husband of the raped wife (if he so chooses). Alternatively, the husband of the raped wife can request that a government executioner perform the beheading.

The public beheadings are performed once per month on their holy day (I think its Friday). They are not a somber occasion. Instead, they are a celebration of Islam Law. Kind of like an excuse to have a party.

And, if you live in that part of the world (very hot, ugly, desolate place), any good excuse for a party is reason enough to celebrate.

Thats my understanding of Saudi Justice system. There are no defense lawyers. There is no trial-by-jury. Punishment is immediate and usually severe. And, life goes on.

In some respects, I think their justice system is more advanced then our own (with the exception of the half-vote for women).
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    If you will read the news article more closely, she didn't get that punishment for being raped, but for being with her guy friend in the car in the first place... a big no no in their culture. While under our legal system, a judge may give a lighter sentence or not punish her at all as a show of compassion, its different over there. Maybe the US should just invade saudi arabia as well and put up its own courts there to give justice to the poor girl?

You just hit number 10 on the Putz-O-Meter!
  • SolidSqual
    edited November 2007
    I agree, there is an element of truth to your comments despite the barbaric implications.

rskarvan wrote: »
    Another thing about Saudi Arabia... there law goes something like this:

If a crime against a woman is committed, it goes to a judge.
    There is no jury. But, witnesses are considered.
    A male witness has a full vote.
    A female witness has a half a vote.
    And, guys win all ties.

So, basically, it takes three women witnesses to convict a guy of ANYTHING.

Then, the judge determines the punishment... mostly based upon how much wrong the guy did to the woman's family. If he raped a guys wife, that is punishable by death. And the beheading is performed by the husband of the raped wife (if he so chooses). Alternatively, the husband of the raped wife can request that a government executioner perform the beheading.

The public beheadings are performed once per month on their holy day (I think its Friday). They are not a somber occasion. Instead, they are a celebration of Islam Law. Kind of like an excuse to have a party.

And, if you live in that part of the world (very hot, ugly, desolate place), any good excuse for a party is reason enough to celebrate.

Thats my understanding of Saudi Justice system. There are no defense lawyers. There is no trial-by-jury. Punishment is immediate and usually severe. And, life goes on.

In some respects, I think their justice system is more advanced then our own (with the exception of the half-vote for women).
  • ohskigod
    edited November 2007
    our justice system has flaws to be sure, but i have a feeling the Saudi plan has ALOT of innocent people being punished, which to me, is worse than a guilty guy getting off. just throwing it out there
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

This discussion has been closed.