Great Amercian Cars

rskarvan
rskarvan Posts: 2,374
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
Just thought I'd start a thread about the great American auto industry. Henry Ford started it all. Henry Ford was the inventor of modern industrial manufacturing methods.
Post edited by rskarvan on

Comments

• jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited May 2007
    My dad had a chevelle pretty much exactly like this one, except his interior was white and the green was a lighter green.

72chvss.jpg

He was going to put it on blocks for me to have, but couldn't afford to, so he had to sell it. If I ever hit the lotto, I'm buying him one as close to his original as possible. You can tell it was his all-time pride and joy ride!
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited May 2007
    My neighbor had a 1999 Buick (can't remember the model) and it seemed to last forever. No mechanical problems + no problems whatsoever in the 7-8 years it has been around.

That's an example of a great reliable American car.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2007
    American cars have generally sucked for approx. 30 years.

Actually Ron, go back to Eli Whitney and that's closer to the mark. Henry revolutionized the auto industry but not manufacturing as a whole.

Think a model T would have been so cheap if the UAW involved?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited May 2007
    American cars began to suck after I say 1974 or so, emission laws really gave them an issue. Then I think just corporate geed took over, to finish the job.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• rskarvan
    edited May 2007
    MOTOR TREND CAR OF THE YEAR AWARD (LAST 30 YEARS)
    2006 Honda Civic
    2005 Chrysler 300
    2004 Toyota Prius
    2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe / Sedan
    2002 Ford Thunderbird
    2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser
    2000 Lincoln LS
    1999 Chrysler 300M
    1998 Chevrolet Corvette
    1997 Chevrolet Malibu
    1996 Dodge Caravan
    1995 Chrysler Cirrus
    1994 Ford Mustang
    1993 Ford Probe GT
    1992 Cadillac Seville Touring Sedan
    1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LTZ
    1990 Lincoln Town Car
    1989 Ford Thunderbird SC
    1988 Pontiac Grand Prix
    1987 Ford Thunderbird
    1986 Ford Taurus LX
    1985 Volkswagen GTI
    1984 Chevrolet Corvette
    1983 American Motors Renault Alliance
    1982 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
    1981 Chrysler K-cars, Dodge Aries/Plymouth Reliant
    1980 Chevrolet Citation
    1979 Buick Riviera S
    1978 Chrysler, Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon
    1977 Chevrolet Caprice
  • rskarvan
    edited May 2007
    HENRY FORD INNOVATION:

Assembly Line Innovation: In response to growing demand, Ford built a new factory using standardized interchangeable parts and a conveyor-belt based assembly line. The factory was able to build a car in just 93 minutes, producing around 1 million vehicles a year (one every 24 seconds). With this advancement in production, Ford was able to market to the general public. The factory had everything it needed to construct the vehicles including a steel mill, glass factory, and the first automobile assembly line.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited May 2007
    Here is the shame of the auto industry. Big auto smashed the little guy. Great car, ahead of its time.http://http://www.tuckerclub.org/index.php
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2007
    American automakers have been trying to duplicate the management and construction methods other countries have been using for years to try and improve their quality. Some day they may approach the quality of a Japanese vehicle, not today though.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • TroyD
    edited May 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »
    HENRY FORD INNOVATION:

Assembly Line Innovation: In response to growing demand, Ford built a new factory using standardized interchangeable parts and a conveyor-belt based assembly line. The factory was able to build a car in just 93 minutes, producing around 1 million vehicles a year (one every 24 seconds). With this advancement in production, Ford was able to market to the general public. The factory had everything it needed to construct the vehicles including a steel mill, glass factory, and the first automobile assembly line.

I'm well aware of that, I'm SAYING that the American industrial revolution took root over 100 years prior....

As far as that list goes...PFFFFFFFFFFFT.

I wouldn't give a squirt of piss for half those cars. A Reliant? Please.

BDT
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,161
    edited May 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    American cars have generally sucked for approx. 30 years.
    BDT

Have to agree in general. Of course what do I know I've owned Volkswagens and Audi's my whole life. I like to have fun when I drive. Also grew up with my Dad racing Austin Healeys and MG's and an occasional Porsche. Sorry for ruining the whole American Auto UAW thing by never owning a piece of American Iron.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2007
    Ford GT, past and present
    Shelby Cobra
    Chevelle LS6
    Impala 409
    I always liked the AMC offerings too, the SC/Rambler, The Machine, Hornet SC360 etc.

The late 80's turbo Chryslers and Plymouths were real sleepers, and fun to drive.

More modern, I like the vintage re-designs, Camaro, Challenger, Mustang etc - it's nice to see some cars with sexy lines again. Everything was starting to look like a bar of soap. I wish Pontiac had made the GTO stand out a little more.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,161
    edited May 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Ford GT, past and present
    Shelby Cobra
    Chevelle LS6

Cheers,
    Russ

That's why I stated in general. Just saw a Ford GT at a local charity car show and got up real close. I had a woodie!!!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • TroyD
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, I mean there have been some good cars but, since the death of the muscle cars, American designs have been less than inspired. There are a few exceptions but they are, indeed, few.

Sorry Ron, I'm not buying your line of BS about the American auto industry. Juding by sales trends over the past few decades, I'm not alone, either.

BDT
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2007
    The C6 Corvette is world class.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • GaryZ06
    GaryZ06 Posts: 317
    edited May 2007
    GV#27 wrote: »
    I agree :D
    Panasonic 50" Plasma + Pioneer 6010
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    Polk RTi12 (front)...Polk CSi5 (center)
    Polk RTi4 (rear)...Velodyne DLS 5000-R Sub
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited May 2007
    Cuda
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited May 2007
    American cars started to improve in the mid 90's.I've worked on just about every car out and they all have week points and strengths. Today's american cars quality is on par with any import out in the same price range.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited May 2007
    There's only one current American car that I would like to try out, Ford GT, but plenty if you look back in the history books. 50's and 60's Corvette's are quite high in my book but they have lost a lot since. Viper's rock someones boat, and they are quite cool but the ones I have had a chance to drive didn't ride that well.

Barracuda's/GTO's, '64 Stang, '69 SS Camaro, original Cobra, GT40, plenty to choose from but most unfortunately priced too high. Or is it fortunately?
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited May 2007
    1986 - Buick:
    • T-type
    • Grand National

1987 - Buick:
      Regal Turbo "T"
    • WE-4 Turbo
    • Turbo T-Limited
    • Grand National
    • GNX
    ABSOLUTE BAD ASSES
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited May 2007
    I'll throw one out there. Dodge Dart with a slant six. Easy to work on.
    Fairly dependable. Easy to afford. Not going to win a beauty contest.
    That's what's missing in American iron. Anyone can build a $75k dream
    machine. Show me a cheap car that keeps ticking after you heap abuse on it for 10 years.
    Believe that I beat the hell out of some of the old Detroit iron.
    First time you break a heater hose on some newer cars, kiss the head(and car) goodbye.
    That's where Toyota shines now. Break a timing belt, no problem. The valves were designed
    NOT TO CRASH THE PISTON!
    Show me a car that you get tired of looking at before it gives up the ghost,
    and I'll show you a car that will capture the hearts of hard working stiffs.
    Corvettes, Vipers, Cadillac SUVS. Who cares. Bring me a Nova that
    gets groceries for 10 years, 6 years of your kid's high school /college,
    then gets tubbed for drag racing. That's a car!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2007
    GV#27 wrote: »
    I'd love to add one to the stable.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited May 2007
    Hell yea Halo. A friend of mine had a Grand National back in HS. I nearly had to change my shorts several times after riding with him in that thing!
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Beekyman
    Beekyman Posts: 150
    edited May 2007
    How cool!! Another Dodge Dart fan! My first car was a 1972 Dodge Dart Swinger with the 318 V8 and aftermarket dual exhaust. :)
    Plenty of power to get you in trouble with both the police and your parents yet built like the proverbial tank! There was also plenty of room to carry around 5 other yahoos along with you as you were raising hell in town :)
    Very easy to work on and I learned alot about cars from that first car.
    I put that car through hell, simply put I did stuff to it that would simply trash newer cars.
    Was it ugly? Oh hell yeah but it was solid!

I'll second the Dart!
    2 Channel Rig
    Source 1 - Apple TV
    Source 2 - Parasound D3 Universal Player
    Source 3 - Parasound Tuner T3
    Pre-amp - Parasound HALO P3
    Amplifier - Parasound HALO A21
    Speakers - Martin Logan Vista
    Power Conditioning - Panamax M5100-EX
  • 66chevyIISS
    66chevyIISS Posts: 857
    edited May 2007
    I'd have to say a 1966 Chevy Nova Super sport :) lol
    My Home Theater (WIP):
    Panasonic AE900 Projector - 126" screen, XBOX 360, Pioneer BDP-320 Bluray
    Receiver: Denon AVR-1905
    Fronts: RTi6's, Center: CSi5, Surrounds: RTi4, Rears: Denon
    Dual Subs: PSW202, and behind the couch Denon 8"

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited May 2007
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    I'll throw one out there. Dodge Dart with a slant six. Easy to work on.

The slant six was a solid engine that could take a hell of a beating.

Speaking of Darts. How about a hemi dart? Pretty damn fast, had to be special ordered at the dealer and basically wasn't street legal...mopar was not effin around

http://www.autofacts.ca/classics/fast.htm#disclaimer
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited May 2007
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    I'll throw one out there. Dodge Dart with a slant six.

You couldn't kill that ENGINE drove 3 miles with NO WATER to cool it, ran into a telephone pole placed a tire under the car bend frame, hood, radiator, everything car was totaled. 70 Dodge Dart. Sold the car it to a car builder who what'd the engine, even when I stated what I did, he stated back I could have driven it with no OIL he would still wanted it.

Goes back to what I stated Corporate Geed, they built an engine that couldn't die. They stopped making because it was too good.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited May 2007
    That slant 6 and the Ford 300 cuin. six were both bullet proof.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited May 2007
    GMC Syclone and Typhoon - just awesome
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited May 2007
    Dang, man...did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited May 2007
    MSALLA wrote: »
    American cars started to improve in the mid 90's.I've worked on just about every car out and they all have week points and strengths. Today's american cars quality is on par with any import out in the same price range.

I'd agree there. My mom's full size Buick with a bigger engine gets better gas mileage and has had less problems at over 170K miles than my Toyota Avalon has had in only 100K.

If we are talking about classics, you can't forget the shoebox Chevys. Especially the Nomads...

55chevnomad.jpg

nomad-21-06.jpg

052006b.jpg
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8