Great Amercian Cars

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited May 2007
    My brother-in-law owned one of those back in the day and it was a real dog of a lemon. It was always in the shop. If I remember correctly one of the nagging problems was with the tranny. Now that may be just one car but going on that experience I would never buy one.

There were about 500± 1984 models that caught fire in the engine bay prompting a recall. GM of course said it was driver issues for not keeping the crankcase filled properly, causing rod failure and allowing oil to drip on the manifold and cause the fire. Of course the 3 qt. oil capacity and the rod oiling system had NOTHING to do with it.

They were also notorious for for overheating as the cooling system wasn't the best.

Just a couple of the many Fiero mechanical issue. A friend had one an the fit and finish was poor as well.

It is a classic example of a car that started out with a ton of potential and could have been a nice car but GM screwed it up.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shack
    edited May 2007
    Funny thing is when I first saw one, and I remember this clearly, I said, "it looks like a big giant stepped on a car." LOL.

I thought it was a pretty good looking car. Unfortunately it never lived up to its "looks".

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2007
    The Fiery was code-named the P-car during development. Little bit of trivia for you folks.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007
    shack wrote: »
    I thought it was a pretty good looking car. Unfortunately it never lived up to its "looks".

LOL!!! I thought it was a cool looking car, it just looked like it was stepped on.:eek:
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited May 2007
    This was awesome in 91 and still is IMO

zr1%20for%20website.jpg
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited May 2007
    GaryZ06 wrote: »
    From what I hear the LS7's cylinder walls are to thin....but there are other companies that TT the LS7....so I don't know....:confused:

If I remember correctly, all of the cylinders are sleeved like the LS2.....I can't remember. I know the LS2 is a AL. block with sleeves....I have had to take a block in to get re-sleeved (result of nitrous+****)
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited May 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    Man, for the Z08 they should just supercharge the LS7!!!

Sweet TransAms, both of 'em!

You still liking your audio system in yours, holydoc?

Audiobliss,

I definitely love the new audio system's integration with the IPOD. I definitely could not ask for more. The only thing I am not satisfied with is the difference in bass when the top is down compared to up. I guess since the top is rarely up, I can live with that though. ;)

The memphis system is very clear even at high speeds with lots of wind noise. I just have to be careful to turn it down once I reach residential speeds. hehe....
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited May 2007
    I'm surprised nobobdy (from memory) has mentioned any GTO. Some serious memories for me from my high school years, what a great car to cruise around in. Never had a problem finding something to get into driving around in one of these. 1967 was my favorite year of the Goat; hell, I think it was the best year for GM in general!

gto.jpg
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited May 2007
    1967 GTO a car of cars IMHO

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited May 2007
    Who ran into the driver's door of that GTO?!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited May 2007

:eek: Good eyes! Didn't catch that, I was looking for one that was close to one I tooled around in during high school.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2007
    Ha! Why would someone make a "professional" looking poster like that of a dented car?!

Love the GTO. '66-'68 were some beautiful cars.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited May 2007

By the looks of it....Rosie O'Donnell.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited May 2007
    cmy330go wrote: »
    By the looks of it....Rosie O'Donnell.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!:D :D
  • shack
    edited May 2007
    2000 Cobra R.

• audiobliss
    edited May 2007
    Going by memory, here, though recent memory, there was no 2001 Cobra R. Just a 1993, 1995, and a 2000.

Sweeet 'Stang though, for sure. What was the output; 385 for both figures? Pretty sweet. And it'll handle? Awesome!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • cmy330go
    edited May 2007
    ....Sweeet 'Stang though, for sure. What was the output; 385 for both figures? Pretty sweet. And it'll handle? Awesome!

Yea it put up some good numbers....but $55k for a stripped down tin can (no a/c, radio, backseat, or insulation) isn't my cup of tea.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited May 2007
    Going by memory, here, though recent memory, there was no 2001 Cobra R. Just a 1993, 1995, and a 2000.

Sweeet 'Stang though, for sure. What was the output; 385 for both figures? Pretty sweet. And it'll handle? Awesome!

You are 100% right. The only years for the Cobra R were 93, 95 and 2000.

93 came with a 5.0L 235 horse V8

95 came with a 5.8L 300 horse V8

00 came with a 5.4L DOHC 385 horse V8.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    edited May 2007
    Yea it put up some good numbers....but $55k for a stripped down tin can (no a/c, radio, backseat, or insulation) isn't my cup of tea.

It's not really a street car even though it is street legal. It was meant for the track and it is positivly blistering on a race track, especially in the hands of a good driver. I have a buddy in the SVTOA with one and he's an SCCA instructor. That car isn't that much fun on a bumpy road but put it on a race track and it will embarrass ALOT of other vehicles.

• MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited May 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »

Love the GTO. '66-'68 were some beautiful cars.

Don't forget about the '65. I love the straight lines of that model.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited May 2007
    My wife traded her SUV for this a few months ago (right before we found out she was pregnant, ha ha). I don't know if it qualifies as a "great American car", but I think it's a good example of how much the quality of mainstream American cars has improved over the past several years. I should mention that it is assembled in Canada. The fit and finish on this car is really nice, I can't find any flaws in the car at all- nothing loose, no rattles, etc.. We shopped around and looked at Toyotas, Nissans, and Hondas and didn't feel like they had anything on this car in terms of quality feel, though I'm sure they would have an advantage in resale if we were planning on trading in a couple of years (which we aren't, at least I'm not). We just liked the Imp better all the way around. The power didn't hurt, either. On a recent highway trip it got 32 mpg, and according to the car's computer, it's averaging 23.5. Sure beats the 15 that the Envoy was getting. We'll see how it pans out in the future, but so far I've been very pleased with this one.

Jason

IMG_0985.jpg
  • rskarvan
    edited May 2007
    The CAW Oshawa Assembly plant (home of the Impala) has some of the highest quality and efficiency ratings in the automotive industry. Yes, Canada counts as domestic (in my opinion).
  • cmy330go
    edited May 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »
    .....Yes, Canada counts as domestic (in my opinion).

How do you figure? Don't get me wrong, I'm no "Made in the USA" freak (not that you are either), but I fail to see how many people are OK with their American nameplates being built in Canada and Mexico, but aren't OK with Japan, Korean, etc. nameplates.:rolleyes:
    HT

2 CH
  • GaryZ06
    GaryZ06 Posts: 317
    edited May 2007
    Camaro's and Firebird's were made in Canada
    Panasonic 50" Plasma + Pioneer 6010
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    Polk RTi12 (front)...Polk CSi5 (center)
    Polk RTi4 (rear)...Velodyne DLS 5000-R Sub
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited May 2007
    Yes, Canada counts as domestic (in my opinion).

Are you saying Canadian and Mexican built cars, are more American than a Toyota or Honda that is built in the US by actual Americans?
  • Jstas
    edited May 2007
    How do you figure? Don't get me wrong, I'm no "Made in the USA" freak (not that you are either), but I fail to see how many people are OK with their American nameplates being built in Canada and Mexico, but aren't OK with Japan, Korean, etc. nameplates.:rolleyes:

One acronym: NAFTA

Some info, although maybe not entirely accurate, does a good job of 'splainin' it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAFTA

Essentially, due to our close relations in political, economic and even physical relationships with Canada and Mexico, NAFTA removed alot of roadblocks to commerce. While Mexico looks like a moocher in the deal, they really aren't. It's just that the GDP of the U.S. is so freaking huge that it dwarfs Canada and Mexico easily. Needless to say, impacts from NAFTA are here, you just don't see them as easily because of our economic stature.

However, NAFTA has made it easier for things to happen like U.S. workers working in Canadian automotive manufacturing plants. Although there is a huge illegal alien problem with Mexico, there are many legal Mexican workers that cross the border every day for work as guest workers. NAFTA has provided a way for all three countries to benefit. It works out great with Canada but has issues in Mexico. Mainly because the poverty rate in Mexico is so high that NAFTA isn't enough to help Mexico alleviate the problem. It has however helped Mexico with a certain amount of economic prosperity. They are still quite poor but not nearly as bad as they were before NAFTA.

We don't have similar trade agreements with Japan and Korean and any country in the European Union. The foreign countries build factories here to avoid the high tariffs placed on imported vehicles that are in place to protect the domestic market. That protection was put in place to protect pricing so that the Japanese could not build small, inexpensive cars and sell them for pennies on the dollar compared to the U.S. and European counter-parts. Under-cutting prices so much would have destroyed profits for American and European car companies trying to compete. It almost kille Chrylser and did AMC under. Granted, both companies were churning out cheap crap at the time but, they were churning out cheap crap to try and compete with the new Japanese competition that was churning cheap crap also but charging less for it.

This is a gigantic subject to get in to on an Internet forum based on audio products. It is interesting from an economics standpoint but too often, there are political agends behind it that start bigger arguments. I think it's best to avoid a discussion on NAFTA. I don't think NAFTA turned out to be the godsend it was made out to be 15-20 years ago but I do think that there has been benefit for all nation involved. It did lay groundwork for alot of open trade and it has created jobs in every country involved.

• rskarvan
    edited May 2007
    The reason that I say that Canada counts is because GM accounting is based upon North American Operations (NAO). I figure that if the automaker lumps it all into one big category... they really don't compete against each other. GM Transmissions come from Windsor. GM Trucks are made in Oshawa, Pontiac MI, and also Fort Wayne IN. NAO is one big happy (well, not so happy recently) North American family. This was the case even before NAFTA came into play.
  • rskarvan
    edited May 2007
    No reason for two lists.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »
    Consumer Buying Guide - 2007 Cars and Trucks

UAW CARS
    Buick Lucerne
    Cadillac CTS
    Cadillac DTS
    Cadillac STS
    Cadillac XLR
    Chevrolet Cobalt
    Chevrolet Corvette
    Chevrolet Malibu
    Chrysler Sebring
    Dodge Avenger
    Dodge Caliber
    Dodge Viper
    Ford Five Hundred
    Ford Focus
    Ford GT Ford Mustang
    Lincoln Town Car
    Mazda Mazda 6
    Mercury Montego
    Mitsubishi Eclipse
    Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder
    Mitsubishi Galant
    Pontiac G5
    Pontiac G6
    Pontiac Solstice
    Pontiac Vibe
    Saturn Aura
    Saturn ION
    Saturn Sky
    Toyota Corolla *

UAW PICKUPS
    Chevrolet Silverado *
    Chevrolet Colorado
    Dodge Ram *
    Dodge Dakota
    Ford F-Series *
    Ford Explorer Sport Trac
    Ford Ranger GMC Sierra *
    GMC Canyon
    Isuzu i-Series
    Lincoln Mark LT
    Mazda B-series
    Mitsubishi Raider
    Toyota Tacoma *

UAW SUVs/CUVs
    Buick Enclave
    Cadillac Escalade
    Cadillac Escalade ESV
    Cadillac SRX
    Chevrolet Suburban *
    Chevrolet Tahoe
    Chrysler Aspen
    Dodge Durango
    Dodge Nitro
    Ford Escape/Escape Hybrid
    Ford Expedition
    Ford Explorer
    GMC Acadia
    GMC Yukon XL
    GMC Yukon/Denali
    Hummer H1 Hummer H2
    Hummer H2 SUT
    Hummer H3
    Jeep Commander
    Jeep Compass
    Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Jeep Liberty
    Jeep Patriot
    Jeep Wrangler
    Lincoln Navigator
    Mazda Tribute
    Mercury Mariner/Mariner Hybrid
    Mercury Mountaineer
    Mitsubishi Endeavor
    Saturn Outlook
    Saturn VUE

UAW VANS
    Buick Terraza
    Chevrolet Express
    Chevrolet Uplander
    Chrysler Town & Country *
    Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan *
    Ford Club Wagon Ford Econoline
    GMC Savana
    GMC Savana Cargo
    GMC Savana Passenger
    Saturn Relay
    Ford Freestyle

CAW CARS
    Buick Lacrosse
    Chevrolet Impala
    Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    Chrysler 300
    Dodge Charger
    Ford Crown Victoria
    Mercury Grand Marquis
    Pontiac Grand Prix

CAW SUVs/CUVs
    Chevrolet Equinox
    Chrysler Pacifica
    Dodge Magnum
    Ford Edge
    Lincoln MKX
    Pontiac Torrent
    Suzuki XL7

CAW PICKUPS
    Chevrolet Silverado
    GMC Sierra

UAW/CAW Vans
    Chrysler Town & Country
    Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan

CAW VAN
    Ford Freestar

IUE SUVs/CUVs
    Buick Rainier
    Chevrolet TrailBlazer
    GMC Envoy
    SAAB 9-7x

Yeah the junk yards of full of them!:eek: :D
  • audiobliss
    edited May 2007
    Wow, I'm sure glad I had to scroll through that long list TWICE.

;)
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]