Great Amercian Cars

Comments

• BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited May 2007
    My favorite for now is the 65 cobra replica. This one has a full injected 427 with a 93mm intercooled turbo. It made 1097 rwhp at 25 lbs of boost. The car weighs 2725 lbs.
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60
    Screen: Da-Lite 106"
    APC S20 Power conditioner
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited May 2007
    FINALLY somebody brought up the Cobra.

Perhaps the most beautiful car I've ever seen. Certainly one I'd love to own one day.

And that particular one sounds ferocious!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited May 2007
    Been a Ford man myself. I currently have a '93 Explorer with 250000 miles on it. Replaced the ball joints at 130000, fuel pump at 150000, re-built the tranny at 210000. That's it. I'd put that up against any import made. My favorite was my '76 Mustang Cobra. It had a 2.8 iron block V-6 that I had my mechanic strip off the air pump and plug the ports at 100000 mi. That lil sucker would eat Chev 350's for lunch. Won many $50 bets from the Chevy boys who just couldn't believe it had a 6 in it. I'd just pop the hood and tell 'em "count the plug wires and gimme my $50." My favorite import was my '69 911. That was one fast and beautiful car. Can't fault German engineering, but they are way out of my price range. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd be driving a new Ford GT.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2007
    I've gone to a couple of Cobra car shows. They are awesome! The only real fault I saw with them (at least in kit form) are the doors. If someone easily bumped into the door with you sitting in the car you could be injured severely. No protection, only a piece of fiberglass angled in towards you and sitting less than an inch away from your shoulder.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, the Cobras didn't offer much protection, but few sports cars do. The biggest death trap I ever had the pleasure to drive was a '72 Lotus Europa. It had a racing h beam chassis, center beam with the front suspension mounted to it and an engine mount box at the rear. The only thing between you and a side impact was a thin sheet of fiberglass. The car was only about 40" tall and weighed 1350 lbs. The lil sucker would take a 90 corner at 70mph like it was rail mounted, but I always was scared of hitting something in it.
  • BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited May 2007
    There's no question that when you drive or ride in a car like the cobra you are vulnerable. I equate it to a motorcycle. You do have to develop a different set of driving habits. For one you never run an intersection on a yellow. You never zip through a long line of cars in one lane while yours is empty. When you sit in the cobra your ear is about the same height as the bumper on a full size SUV. Additionally, because the car is so short coupled it will switch ends on you under extreme acceleration. The thrill of driving it outweighs the risk by large measure. You just don't get stupid with it. You definetely do not drink and drive this thing.....it is a magnet for being stopped. Having the turbo allows for very gentle driving and the power is on tap if you light it. If it hooks up acceleration is > 4 sec 0-60 and low 10's in the quarter. Top speed is off the chart with its 6 spd. It would probably go airborn before it would stop pulling.
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60
    Screen: Da-Lite 106"
    APC S20 Power conditioner
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007
    I've owned two of what I think are the two greatest American cars. One was the 1972 Buick Riviera and the second was the 1963 Vette with the split window (sans the girl). The Riv had a 455 with a quadro jet. The Vette had a 326 cubic inch V 8. The Vette was like a rabbit off the line, the Riv once going had the overhead to beat out street cars like the Datsun 280 Z.

I will, one day, own at least the Riviera again.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited May 2007
    2007 Cadillac STS
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2007
    One more reason to buy American!!!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2007
    Sorry Ron, the big three and the UAW are still a bunch of toads. All the widow dressing in the world can't change that.

Imagine if the military was controlled by the UAW.....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • rskarvan
    edited May 2007
    Imagine if the Military were controlled by a Democrat!!!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2007
    I've been down that road and don't care to repeat it.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • rskarvan
    edited May 2007
    Finally... Troy and I agree on ONE thing.
  • phipiper10
    phipiper10 Posts: 955
    edited May 2007
    Read this--American cars aren't really even close to the Japanes makers in terms of reliability and issues.

They still have about twice as many issues as the Japanes makers.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0UDO/is_12_16/ai_98956236
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • rskarvan
    edited May 2007
    The only reputable source for automotive quality is JD Powers.
    Consumer Reports isn't qualified to compare vacuum cleaners... let alone automobiles.
  • GaryZ06
    GaryZ06 Posts: 317
    edited May 2007
    phipiper10 wrote: »
    Read this--American cars aren't really even close to the Japanes makers in terms of reliability and issues.

They still have about twice as many issues as the Japanes makers.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0UDO/is_12_16/ai_98956236

I have to disaggree to a point....my last couple of cars have been American...I had a 99 Camaro SS...Consumer Reports stated it was below average...In the 2.5 years I had it...it was perfect no problems at all....next 2001 Corvette Z06....pretty much trouble free......My current ride 2006 Corvette Z06....pretty much trouble free and my daily driver 2002 Cavalier has been trouble free....according to Consumer Reports this car is below average.....we have 3 Cav's in our family and they have all been trouble free...so in my recent history of American cars they have been very reliable.
    Panasonic 50" Plasma + Pioneer 6010
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    Polk RTi12 (front)...Polk CSi5 (center)
    Polk RTi4 (rear)...Velodyne DLS 5000-R Sub
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited May 2007
    Wow - you have a Corvette Z06! My roommate was just talking about this car and said its ultra fast - like 0-60 in 5 seconds or something like that (don't really remember).

That's a great american car.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • GaryZ06
    edited May 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    Wow - you have a Corvette Z06! My roommate was just talking about this car and said its ultra fast - like 0-60 in 5 seconds or something like that (don't really remember).

That's a great american car.
    Yes I have a modded Z06....Bone stock one of the magazines got a 0-60 in 3.4 seconds.:eek:
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited May 2007
    GaryZ06 wrote: »
    I have to disaggree to a point....my last couple of cars have been American...I had a 99 Camaro SS...Consumer Reports stated it was below average...In the 2.5 years I had it...it was perfect no problems at all....next 2001 Corvette Z06....pretty much trouble free......My current ride 2006 Corvette Z06....pretty much trouble free and my daily driver 2002 Cavalier has been trouble free....according to Consumer Reports this car is below average.....we have 3 Cav's in our family and they have all been trouble free...so in my recent history of American cars they have been very reliable.

My son works for an extended auto warranty company in claims.
    American cars have improved. Not up to Toyota standards yet.
    They have knocked out some of the lesser imports, and most European
    models in quality, but Toyota is still king. I believe Honda is still up there too.
    Nissan had dropped down a bit.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • GaryZ06
    edited May 2007
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    My son works for an extended auto warranty company in claims.
    American cars have improved. Not up to Toyota standards yet.
    They have knocked out some of the lesser imports, and most European
    models in quality, but Toyota is still king. I believe Honda is still up there too.
    Nissan had dropped down a bit.
    I agree 100%.....American cars have come a longway...
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • audiobliss
    edited May 2007
    I agree 100%.....American cars have come a longway...
    Yeah, they sure have. I can't argue that quality and reliability have always been a strength with domestics, but it is certainly on the rise and, in my opinion, now is pretty much on par with most of the **** stuff.

The only problem is stupid average Joe consumer is brain washed to think the **** stuff is the best and worth its weight in gold, and won't hear of anything from America. So no one will buy anything domestic, but runs out to buy something from the ****. And the ****, having us stupid consumers under their thumb, raise their prices and let their quality go down (the only two factors they've ever had over domestics). But your stupid, misinformed, apathetic average Joe consumer still raises high the banner of Japanese automotive supremacy and shuns anything domestic.

Now we just have to sit back and see if the general populace will realize what's going on before there are no more domestic manufacturers left to choose from.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • GaryZ06
    edited May 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    Yeah, they sure have. I can't argue that quality and reliability have always been a strength with domestics, but it is certainly on the rise and, in my opinion, now is pretty much on par with most of the **** stuff.

The only problem is stupid average Joe consumer is brain washed to think the **** stuff is the best and worth its weight in gold, and won't hear of anything from America. So no one will buy anything domestic, but runs out to buy something from the ****. And the ****, having us stupid consumers under their thumb, raise their prices and let their quality go down (the only two factors they've ever had over domestics). But your stupid, misinformed, apathetic average Joe consumer still raises high the banner of Japanese automotive supremacy and shuns anything domestic.

Now we just have to sit back and see if the general populace will realize what's going on before there are no more domestic manufacturers left to choose from.
    I agree with you...Most people are sheep and follow others...I buy American now cause I like high performance cars and the Japanese don't have any that fit my needs....super fast:D
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2007
    Yes I have a modded Z06....Bone stock one of the magazines got a 0-60 in 3.4 seconds.:eek:
    Nice:)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • audiobliss
    edited May 2007
    I agree with you...Most people are sheep and follow others...I buy American now cause I like high performance cars and the Japanese don't have any that fit my needs....super fast:D
    Thank you. I'm sure you're the ONLY person on this forum that will agree with me.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • GaryZ06
    edited May 2007
    Thank you. I'm sure you're the ONLY person on this forum that will agree with me.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,161
    edited May 2007

Oh yes, blame on the stupid consumers. Must feel good to be so smart.......and drive an american car. Let me just toss this out there many of the more reliable american cars are derived from Japanese models or joint design agreements and *gasp* use foreign made and designed parts :eek: .

Oh no you say..........that can't be!!!! My Pontiac Vibe certainly can't have anything in commom with the Toyota Matrix.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited May 2007

Detroit is still more worried that fixing problems will cause class action lawsuits than making us happy. It must of been defective, or you wouldn't of improved it!
    They haven't made any front wheel drive stuff worth crap. Their stregth
    has been rear wheel/V8 combos. The latest gas crunch will really hurt them.

Toyota's new push into full size trucks might backfire. There are few
    small trucks left. The traditional small ones are now close to full size in
    size, weight, MPG, and price. If gas hits and stays at $4, the big trucks are gonna take a hit.
    Toyota built a huge truck plant South of San Antone. Time will tell if it was a good time to not go with where their traditional sales base was at.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • audiobliss
    edited May 2007
    I never said anything about design, engineering, collaboration on such, where parts came from, or where they're assembled. I've made no allusions to any such things.

I just commented on 'domestics' versus 'imports'.
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Must feel good to .......drive an american car.
    And yes, it does.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited May 2007

I also agree.:D
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • audiobliss
    edited May 2007
    Woohoo!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]