Do you still own your first pair of Polk speakers?

Comments

• MNmike
    MNmike Posts: 41
    edited September 2008
    My first pair is M-7 series 2 and they still play nicely.
  • cvc
    cvc Posts: 65
    edited September 2008
    I still have my Polk LS70's. Great shape too. I just pulled them out of the closet and hooked them up for the fun of it. They sound great and have more bass then I remembered. I've saved them in case I would ever want to use them but they've just been in the closet for years. I may sell them but I don't want to deal with shipping these. If anyone lives near Orange County Ca. let me know.
  • Kernos
    Kernos Posts: 5
    edited September 2008
    We still use a pair of SDA-2's we got in the '80's in St. Louis and fronts. They were show-pieces their at the time there, but I do not remember the exact year. When where they introduced?

Someone knowledgeable should improve the WikiPedia article on Polk Audio. It was the 1st place I looked for the history of these incredible speakers.

Bill
  • Mike Brantley
    Mike Brantley Posts: 15
    edited September 2008
    Yes, I still have my pair of Polk Monitor 5jr's purchased from Kincaid TV-Stereo in Tuscaloosa, AL during my college days in the 1980s. They've been good sonic companions all these years, first as my main speakers and more recently playing tunes in my home office.
  • absolutbryan
    absolutbryan Posts: 10
    edited October 2008
    Yep! A pair of RTA-11t's that I bought from AAFES when I was stationed near Hanau Germany.
  • Fatbrando
    Fatbrando Posts: 275
    edited October 2008
    Until I get my SDA's I don't consider anything my '1st' speakers.....

FB
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Stanton STR8-100
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3TL (Proud newbie owner!)
  • shaneybob
    shaneybob Posts: 58
    edited October 2008
    Yep. Monitor 5B's from 1984, IIRC, that still look mint except for the badges and get played nearly everyday. Got a Carver 900 Receiver to push them (which I still have, but looks worse for wear, so it's in the garage/beater system.
  • bluzrip
    bluzrip Posts: 93
    edited October 2008
    Of course! My 10B's and Monitor 4's are still in daily use in my brother in law's home theater. The more time that goes by, the more I worry that he'll never return 'em... :eek:
    "You can tell by the kindness of a dog how a human should be." Don Van Vliet
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,358
    edited October 2008
    Still got 'em and now they are better than ever!

I started young, dreaming of one day owning a pair of SDA's, but figured I'd start with the Monitor 7's when I could afford them. In the meantime I was designing and building speakers with the best components that Radio Shack had to offer. Then I got a job that actually paid, Polk had just released the LS line and I snagged the last pair of RTA11TL's that Bryn Mawr Stereo had for a song.

Recently, I replaced the tweeters with the RDO198's, repaired the XO's and added some sound deadening material. The tweeters were an excellent upgrade. I am planning to make some upgrades to the XO's next.

I have always liked Polk's innovative designs that didn't follow the mainstream. The Dimensional Array and the use of PR's really caught my interest, not to mention that they are based in Baltimore where I was born and raised.
    Stan
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited October 2008
    Not vintage but they were my first pair, RTi28s. Its hard to believe they were my mains. I bought them in 2000. They have since been replaced by RTi8s as my mains but the little RTi28s make great rears and at the time I thought they were great mains.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • rengnath
    rengnath Posts: 118
    edited January 2009
    Yup, Im still getting started. My brother sold me his speaker system around 2005 which included rt1000i's, a psw250, and two small polk bookshelfs for the rears all for 500 bucks. :D Added that to a yamaha htr8540 and sounded great. Im moving now and have more room so I picked up a pair of monitor 7c's in mint condition with the stands for 100 bucks just last night and they sound amazing so those are becoming my new rears. To be continued ...
    AVR - Yamaha Aventage RX-A800
    Amps - B&K Components ST2140 (for mains) and Parasound HCA-1000A (bi-amping center)
    Mains - RT1000i Towers
    Center - CS400i
    Sub - BIC Acoustech PL200

My neighbors listen to very good music, whether they like it or not :cheesygrin:
  • salasg
    salasg Posts: 172
    edited January 2009
    Polk RTA-15T purchased when I was stationed in Okinawa, Japan 1991. Bought them on base at the exchange. I think I paid $800 for them. In my garage for now. Wife thinks they are to cumbersome for the living room, not to mention my two year old would probably inflict great bodily harm on them. Running Polk RC80i inceiling speakers. Sound great but don't compre to the 15T's.
  • chmilar
    chmilar Posts: 1
    edited January 2009
    Still using 10B's purchased new around 1987 as the front LR speakers for my surround sound system.

Over the years, I added a CS-400 center, two of the wedge-shaped M5 indoor/outdoor speakers for rear surround. I recently bought an old pair of Monitor 5 Jr's for side speakers to make a 7-channel setup.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,358
    edited January 2009
    salasg wrote: »
    Polk RTA-15T purchased when I was stationed in Okinawa, Japan 1991. Bought them on base at the exchange. I think I paid $800 for them. In my garage for now. Wife thinks they are to cumbersome for the living room, not to mention my two year old would probably inflict great bodily harm on them. Running Polk RC80i inceiling speakers. Sound great but don't compre to the 15T's.

My wife says the same about my RTA11TLs. I had to strap them down to the floor. No, not to keep my wife from hauling them out; my 2 year old son kept trying to knock them over and I was afraid he might get hurt.

You got a great deal on the 15's back then. I know a guy who did much of the design work on the RTA15 and he is still very pleased with them.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • chandler9a
    chandler9a Posts: 877
    edited January 2009
    I bought my sda 2b's in 2006 ($200) and will probably never sell them. I got my addiction from my father who bought his 2.3's back in the late 80's or early 90's when I was a young buck. I am his only son so I will inherit those monsters some day.
  • Cardinals-1
    Cardinals-1 Posts: 80
    edited January 2009
    No,

I started with a set of 2b's and then went to SRS 2.3's

My brother in-law has my 2b's so I do get to visit.
  • Vancmann
    Vancmann Posts: 11
    edited January 2009
    I gave my RT 800's to a good friend.
  • scottyjacks
    scottyjacks Posts: 19
    edited January 2009
    Bought em new in 84 and have never taken them out of service, although they did some time as the "b" team while I had my SDA 2.3's.....

Don't know if speakers "age" like wine - but they still blow me away for their size. At nearly 25 years old - I have wondered what can be done to make sure they run like new......
    Scooter
  • Kamzu
    Kamzu Posts: 21
    edited January 2009
    Yup Yup! My new RTi A set bought this month, still with me today. Plan to keep them as long if not longer than my Onkyo speakers that I still have to this day from 20 years back. =D =D (When my dad bought them when I was 5.)
    Samsung 52" LCD LN52A850
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Emotiva XPA-1 (2)
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Sony PS3
    HTPC
    Polk Audio RTi A9
    Polk Audio CSi A6
    Polk Audio FXi A6
    SVS PB13-Ultra
  • bluecomet
    bluecomet Posts: 1,118
    edited January 2009
    I bought my monitor 4's in college and thought they were great little speakers. I still have them and they are mint. They are good for surround sounds. I bought them around 1988. I still have my first big speakers, the Fisher 5115 three way speakers that my family gave me when I was in high school. I refoamed them and they still sound sweet. I remember all the old stores that would carry these great old speakers and receivers. I bought the Fishers at Service Merchandise. The Polks were in a Hi Fi specialty store called Hart Electronics here in Northeast Pa. That is where you would find the SDA SRS speakers. It was a very sad day when that store closed. I was able to buy at half price RT800's in solid blond oak wood. The manager who was a friend of mine said Circuit City was killing them selling cheaper Polk's and other brands. No one wanted to spend the money on the high end stuff. Ironic that Circuit City has fallen with there low end speakers. I think that is why the old classic Polk speakers will always be in demand and why us Polk members will drive a few hundred miles for SDA or SRS speakers.
    Polk HT system 1: LSIC, LSI25 mains, LSI F/X rears, Lsi F/X rear centers,
    Yamaha RX-V2500 System, Carver A753 3 channel amp.

Polk HT system 2: , SRT system with f/x 1,000's rear speakers on 7.1 system currently using Onkyo TX-RZ820 receiver, powered by Sunfire Grand Theater amp

Polk Speaker collection: SDA SRS 1.2tl x 2, SRT system, SDA SRS 2 P/B, SDA 2A, SDA 1C Studio, SDA CRS+, Monitor 7B & 4, SRS 3.1tl, RTA 15tl, LS90, LSI 9
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2009
    nope
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited January 2009
    Yep and back in the 2-channel rig for the first time since 2005.

I forgot how well the RTA 8TLs perform in an all music rig. Glad nobody took me up on them, when I had them for sale.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • woodsman10b
    woodsman10b Posts: 408
    edited January 2009
    Yes I still own my Polk Monitor 4.5's, which were the first speakers I purchased myself. I now own 9 pair of Polks(see what those little speakers did to me), 1 pair of Jamo's, and 1 pair of mirage OMD-15's, 2 subs, one is a Mirage Prestige PS-8, and one is a Polk PSW250.
    Most of them only hear how loud it sounds, and the rest of us hear everything else - :rolleyes:
  • nfa_Kbc
    nfa_Kbc Posts: 10
    edited January 2009
    SDA 1B's, wish i still had them.
  • scottpscott
    scottpscott Posts: 23
    edited February 2009
    Yes bought them in 1985 with money from my first 'job'. They made it thru many parties in the 80s then went away when i got married in 1992. She said they were way too big. I dug them up again a year ago. Still love them. I replaced a tweeter years ago and Polk customer service was fantastic and shipped them out the same day. I call to Polk today and I spoke to Ken. Again just fantastic service!!!! I can not say enough. So I push them with an Onkyo TX-8555 and maybe I am looking for an Amp for them now. Who knows. They are played at my monthly poker game.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2009
    Welcome to Club Polk scott.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited February 2009
    Welcome Scott,, I'm on my 11 th pair.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,862
    edited February 2009
    Vancmann wrote: »
    I gave my RT 800's to a good friend.
    That was my first set of Polks and they kept me happy for a long time........

...........until the upgrade bug hit. Now I have a set of Polk 1C's in the rig after going through many a speaker.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • krispy2c
    krispy2c Posts: 1
    edited February 2009
    rta 11,s still have them.the best set of speakers ive ever bought. quality lasts forever.need to replace center speakers thinking of going with cs20, not sure if they match perfectly.might consider csi a4 but not sure,aqny comments will be appreciated. bought set as wedding gift for my bride.she needed to finally hear what real jazz sounded like:cool:
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited February 2009
    I still have my first pair of Polk's, but I also just got them recently. A pair of Monitor 7A's, with Peerless tweeters. These things are awesome, and I doubt I'll ever get rid of them. Crossover mods will be coming along sooner or later, though probably not for a while. Some other gear needs to get upgraded before I do that.

Here are some pics...I've got some original stands for them on the way as well.:) Hopefully they should be here in the next few days.

[URL="[IMG]http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww160/comfortably_curt/PolkAudioMonitor7A003.jpg[/IMG]"]PolkAudioMonitor7A003.jpg[/URL]

[URL="[IMG]http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww160/comfortably_curt/PolkAudioMonitor7A005.jpg[/IMG]"]PolkAudioMonitor7A005.jpg[/URL]
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's