Do you still own your first pair of Polk speakers?

Comments

• concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited October 2009
    Nope, sure don't. Although i have seen my old beloved Polk VS-25s being passed around Craigslist lately like a bong at Woodstock. I keep trying to rescue them, but always miss out by hours.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • woodsman10b
    woodsman10b Posts: 408
    edited October 2009
    nope, sure don't. Although i have seen my old beloved polk vs-25s being passed around craigslist lately like a bong at woodstock. I keep trying to rescue them, but always miss out by hours.

lmao! :d
    Most of them only hear how loud it sounds, and the rest of us hear everything else - :rolleyes:
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited October 2009
    lmao! :d

I'm serious. They've been sold 3 times in the last 2 months. For less than i initially sold them for. I want them back. They were nifty, they were rare, they sounded ermmm.... alright at best.

Come to think of it, not real positive why i want them back.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • LONG TIME BUYER
    LONG TIME BUYER Posts: 112
    edited October 2009
    yes i still have mind. there not polk audios ,im not sure they were around when i got these. i have had to replace the woofer surrounds ,but they still sound good for 70s speakers and look good. i can still hear my dad say, son its easier to take care of something than to have to replace it.
  • Andrew2112
    Andrew2112 Posts: 59
    edited October 2009
    Yep, SDA 1C's bought them in 1989 from Hi Fi Buys in Atlanta. They have been retired for a couple of years since I build a new 5.2 polk audio HT setup but I cannot seem to part ways with them. My wife keeps asking me when am I going to sell them since they are not in use anymore and I keep answering 'soon honey soon....'
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited October 2009
    I haven't been at this Polk thing as long as you all. So my first POLK speaker was a sub (PSW12)...which was OK but had tons of port noise at higher volumes and took over 2 months to place 'right' and set right in order to tame the PORT! I don't use that sub anymore....but I keep it as a momento of the 'first' piece...it actually isn't that bad for music if it is set LOW you can't push the volume too much!

Since I'm on PSW subs. Why doesn't Polk do something to the PSW10 to eliminate its PORT noise because it has the same problem and tends to bottom out easily....Why not SLOT load that box to cut down the distortion thereby making it a nice little low priced starter sub! Can it cost that much to redesign the same box just a bit?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • rallison
    rallison Posts: 17
    edited November 2009
    Happy to note that I still own my first speakers, purchased in 1982 with money from my first real job...a pair of Polk Monitor Series Model 10As with the Peerless tweeters. I still have the boxes, instruction manuals, promo material, and (!) receipt, for that matter. They've been in storage the last few years, but after stumbling across this forum I've hauled them out for a listen. Now I might just need to build some replica Polk stands for them...
  • Telerding
    Telerding Posts: 1
    edited November 2009
    On 6/12/91 I bought a used set of SDA SRS speakers from the OO for $1100.

My wife hated them due to their size. I still have them and she still hates them.

Great speakers, but probably time to upgrade the drivers and the xovers!

Very early units, I think. S/Ns 1020 and 1057.

I am now looking for an Adcom or Emotiva amplifier to properly drive them.
  • ANWKLO
    ANWKLO Posts: 173
    edited November 2009
    rallison wrote: »
    Happy to note that I still own my first speakers, purchased in 1982 with money from my first real job...a pair of Polk Monitor Series Model 10As with the Peerless tweeters. I still have the boxes, instruction manuals, promo material, and (!) receipt, for that matter. They've been in storage the last few years, but after stumbling across this forum I've hauled them out for a listen. Now I might just need to build some replica Polk stands for them...

She is beautiful:)
  • domflane
    domflane Posts: 653
    edited November 2009
    t15 bookshelves, bought them on black friday for $50 last year and have been hooked ever since, now i have a full 5.1 setup
    Home Theater
    RTiA5 - CSiA6 - FXiA6 - PSW650 - Pioneer Elite SC-55 - Carver AV-505 - Sony 46" 120Hz - Monster HP 2400 - Xbox 360 - Playstation 3
    2 Channel
    Polk RTA 15TL - Harman Kardon HK3485 - HK DVD48 - Signal Cable IC's and speaker cables
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,067
    edited November 2009
    Not any more. Just sold them to fund the SDA 1C's.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, Carver Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400x5, ADCOM GFA 7807, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • nhojdrof1@yahoo
    nhojdrof1@yahoo Posts: 1
    edited November 2009
    I have always loved them. The tweeters seem to have stopped working so I am going to need to get them repaired.
  • billinrio
    billinrio Posts: 8
    edited November 2009
    I bought my 7B´s in the early 1980s, and still have them.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,489
    edited November 2009
    Sadly no. I bought my 10B's back in 87 when i was 16. Sold them about 10 years later for a pair of DefTech Bp30's. Those are long gone also, but I wish I had the 10B's back.

-Dave
  • richamor
    richamor Posts: 16
    edited November 2009
    Yes. First set purchased 11/07/2009.
    Still going strong:D
  • Malaka
    Malaka Posts: 39
    edited November 2009
    I still own my mint condition, never abused original Polk 'Monitor 10' speakers that I purchased new back in the mid 80's, and have 'babied' them all these years (covered when not in use; dusted clean every now and then, etc.). You can see pics of them under the name 'Malaka' in 'System Showcase' on this site!

I've owned many speakers since then (many sold), but I always come back to the 'Monitor 10' speakers, and Magnepan. There is something truly synergistic and magical with the Polks. They are true 'high end' speakers in many regards.

Enjoy!

P.S. Matthew Polk is a GENIUS!
  • rallison
    rallison Posts: 17
    edited November 2009
    ANWKLO wrote: »
    She is beautiful:)

Thanks, ANWKLO! And that pic was taken before I cleaned 'em up. Now they positively glow.
  • TideFan
    TideFan Posts: 1
    edited November 2009
    Sadly, no. I bought my first pair of Polk speakers (Monitor 7's) in 1983 right after I got my first real job. In August of 1984 I traded them in on a new pair of SDA CRS's which I still have and just last week upgraded the caps and resistors. They are burning in and sounding better every day. I also own a pair of Monitor 5b's and a pair of RT25i's. In my opinion the newer models don't compare to the vintage models but I may have good ole day's syndrome.

P.S. Matthew Polk is my leader.
  • gvimhoof
    gvimhoof Posts: 1
    edited December 2009
    Yes. I bought a pair of Monitor 7's back in college in 1991 and I still have them. Planning on doing a rebuild as soon as I finish another pair of speakers to use while these are down.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,496
    edited December 2009
    This is my first post. I have been reading a lot over the past 1 1/2 years and have gained a lot of knowledge about redoing the capacitors for the crossovers, etc. in my SDA 2Bs (did the TL mod on them). I appreciate everyones pictures, advice and help in doing mods. This forum is great.

Anyway, that's off topic. Yes, I still own my Monitor 10 speakers I bought in 1992, but I recently got a pair of 3.1TLs and am thinking about selling the monitors. We'll see how long it takes to actually do it.........
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • LPN
    LPN Posts: 42
    edited December 2009
    RTA 15 TL set upgraded with the RDO-198-1 tweeters.
  • 20hz
    20hz Posts: 636
    edited December 2009
    Yes I still have my LS50's bought new .
    They always sound great so much so they still surprise me !
    (I drive big subs using the ls as 100 hz up)
  • Soundmind
    Soundmind Posts: 22
    edited December 2009
    I bought my first pair of monitor 12 series II in 1987. Not in use right now. Im going to learn a few things from you all before I decide what to do with them. Currently enjoying my LSI 9s very much.
    Panamax M5100-EX HT Power conditioner
    Yamaha RXV861 tuner
    Carver TFM25 amp
    Carver av-405 surround amp
    Carver ct-17 Tuner
    Sony BDP-S350 BluRay
    Sony 222ES CD
    Sony PS-LX520 Linear track Turntable
    Panasonic 46" flatscreen
    Polk LSI 15 mains
    SVS PB-12 plus Sub
    JBL center channel
    Polk LSI 9 surrounds
    Polk monitor 12 series II "old mains"
  • motohead9
    motohead9 Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    They're RTA 12s. I need to replace the tweeters on these old dudes. I'm not sure how to identify which model they are. I'll try to describe them as best as I can. The cabinets are 28in tall and the front grills go to the bottom of the box. The total height is 32.5in. PCB for x-overs is light green. Ser.#s on x-overs are 22-03000 & 03001. Monitors are 12-05277 & 05278. Tweeters are flat black soft dome (with a little hole in the middle) and mounted vertically. If this is enough info, maybe someone can help with what tweeters these are and what I can replace them with. I see on my owners manual for these that I bought them on 2-11-80. :eek: So....Happy 30th Anniversary!!! These are currently my fronts and have been for 30 years. Whew, that's got to be a lot of hours!
    Thanks, all
    moto
  • gsxr141
    gsxr141 Posts: 143
    edited February 2010
    I am still using my first polks. I got everything in december of 97. I have replaced one tweeter on the rt10's, and the speaker in the psw150, but other than that they all sound great.
    50" samsung dlp
    receiver... pioneer elite vsx72txv
    front... polk tsi400's
    rear surrounds... polk tsi100's
    center... polk csi3
    subs... psw150..... 2 of them.
    surrounds.....polk owm3's
  • BuckeyeTim
    BuckeyeTim Posts: 483
    edited February 2010
    Yep, S10s in black. In 93 I think, would have to check receipt, which I still have, along with boxes, bags, and original styrofoam end caps. And still in mint condition.
  • Jebtha
    Jebtha Posts: 3
    edited February 2010
    I bought my SDA-CRS speakers in college, '85 or '86, for about $750, I think. Ran them with a NAD integrated amp until that was stolen a few years later -- my whole system was in boxes in the living room when they broke in, and they took the amp but not the Polks -- too heavy I guess.

I got twenty great years from these speakers, but sadly they're in their boxes now; my wife wanted speakers that could be shoved into the corners of our living room and toed in, so we went with a pair of Definitive Technology towers. They're nice, but I would've been very happy to stay with the CRS's.
  • wayne3burk
    wayne3burk Posts: 939
    edited February 2010
    Yep -- I bought my SDA 1C studios from the Base Exchange at Hellinokon Air Base, Greece in 1990. They were the Demo pair and they were being discontinued. I got them for $800 for the pair / no boxes.

I've had them ever since but just got them hooked up again in the last 2 months after having them "put away" for about 13 yrs.
    Yamaha RX-V2700, EMI 711As (front), RCA K-16 (rear), Magnavox Console (Center & TV Stand), Sony SMP-N200 media streamer, Dual 1249 TT =--- Sharp Aquas 60" LCD tellie
  • cincycat13
    cincycat13 Posts: 882
    edited February 2010
    Yep. Still got em .. no idea what to do with them. 2 RT8s, 2RT5 , CS1 , PSW-150 and even 2 M1s in white. Was a good HT set up for my room at the time...1995 flashback.
  • jwm2
    jwm2 Posts: 44
    edited February 2010
    Actually i just bought my first set of polk speakers about 2 months ago. I had originally bought a sony HT system where the AVR and DVD player were built in but was very dissappointed by the limited amount of supported surround sound features and modes. So i sent it back to amazon.com, got a full refund (including shipping) and bought a Onkyo 607 from newegg. I then bought a set of polk 5.1 speakers from amazon (rm6750) and had that going for a couple of weeks. I felt the front speakers lacked depth so i then upgraded them to rti4s (front L & R) and a csi3 for the center channel. Then i was satisfied with the sound but felt the subwoofer wasn't doing as good of a job as it could. So i bought a psw111 and have been thrilled by the way the system sounds. The sound is phenominal and playing games on the 360 and ps3 have been even more immersive. I can't believe i went the last 10 years without any HT setup :/