Do you still own your first pair of Polk speakers?

Comments

• slack56
    slack56 Posts: 68
    edited June 2009
    I can't remember the exact year I bought my 10A's, late seventies maybe. Currently I have add a cs400, FX 500's and a RT2000p for a rear center (CC $100). My son was listening to some hip hop with just the 10A's and a gun shot in the song nearly scared him to death. Jim said he ducked, even in my basement. Needless to say, with the rest of the speakers and my home made JL audio sub, it makes my home theater somewhere everyone loves to watch movies.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited June 2009
    I just went to the end of the post, but......

Yes !

I still have the rt15`s and the Rt2000i`s...
    I also have the 245 center that I got with them....

Of course the 2000i`s are hardly even broken in, and are basically used for speaker stands now..

I put a piece of thin foam on top and have the LSi`s on them for the surround system

I will probably always have these speaks......I really like them still
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2009
    Yes I do 5jr+ 2 series purchased in 1992 I've been listening lately to Grateful Dead Road Trips Vol.2 No. 3 "Wall of Sound" and it's outrageously great as usual

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/recent/monitor5/
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited July 2009
    Yep! RT1000P's, the "i" wasnt even out yet or else I wouldve picked up the blue woofer look.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited July 2009
    Yup! RT F/X rears from over 10 years ago!
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • madmike
    madmike Posts: 81
    edited July 2009
    I got my monitor 5b's in 1986, still sound sweet, have had to replace the tweeters with a pair out of my Reynolds Advance A22 towers when I lost a tweeter, would like to replace with new Polk tweeters, I think the tweeters out of the A22's are peerless but not sure.
  • Flash21
    Flash21 Posts: 316
    edited July 2009
    I still have my Monitor 10Bs, purchased new in 1985. Real oak veneer. $600 was a lot of money for a guy fresh out of college!
    Steve Carlson
    Von Schweikert VR-33 speakers
    Bel Canto eVo2i integrated amp
    Bel Canto PL-2 universal disc player
    Analysis Plus Oval Nine speaker cables and Copper Oval-In Micro interconnects
    VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables
    Polk Monitor 10B speakers, retired but not forgotten
  • danz1906
    danz1906 Posts: 5,144
    edited July 2009
    No:(
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited August 2009
    polkrta15t wrote: »
    I have a set of Polk Audio RTA 15T's for sale, but can't figure out how to post a thread to put them up for sale. This web site is incredibly non-intuitive.

Welcome to Club Polk. I suggest you read the rules.
  • dvh
    dvh Posts: 3
    edited August 2009
    Greetings fellow enthusiasts. This is a very cool forum and thread! Been a proud owner of my RTA 15TL's since 1988. Now I'm going to have to dig the receipt out to verify the exact date and cost. Wow - that's over 20 years of enjoyment! It was a high price tag to pay back then--something like $890, but when you think about I'm down to an ownership cost of less that $45 per year ;)

I've moved at least 8 times over this time period and each time I pack them up into the original boxes, which are starting to look pretty ragged; however the speakers look as good as the day I purchased them. I had to order new grills about 10 years ago. Anyone else have that problem where they only glued the fabric to the covers and after a while the fabric starting coming unglued? When I called Polk they had brand new covers in stock AND amazingly enough they were glued and stapled! Wish I would have ordered a couple SL3000's back then ;)

I have since bought a set of Def Tech BP7001SC's and don't think they sound much better and def cost a lot more money!
  • JohnLocke88
    JohnLocke88 Posts: 1,150
    edited August 2009
    dvh wrote: »
    Greetings fellow enthusiasts. This is a very cool forum and thread! Been a proud owner of my RTA 15TL's since 1988. Now I'm going to have to dig the receipt out to verify the exact date and cost. Wow - that's over 20 years of enjoyment! It was a high price tag to pay back then--something like $890, but when you think about I'm down to an ownership cost of less that $45 per year ;)

I've moved at least 8 times over this time period and each time I pack them up into the original boxes, which are starting to look pretty ragged; however the speakers look as good as the day I purchased them. I had to order new grills about 10 years ago. Anyone else have that problem where they only glued the fabric to the covers and after a while the fabric starting coming unglued? When I called Polk they had brand new covers in stock AND amazingly enough they were glued and stapled! Wish I would have ordered a couple SL3000's back then ;)

I have since bought a set of Def Tech BP7001SC's and don't think they sound much better and def cost a lot more money!

Even less when you consider you could sell them today for a couple hundred in a heart beat.
  • dvh
    dvh Posts: 3
    edited August 2009
    Even less when you consider you could sell them today for a couple hundred in a heart beat.

Wow, I would have guessed more like $400-500 for a mint set in black walnut, but I don't follow the prices. If they are only $200, I might look to pick another set up!
  • CaligulaPolk
    CaligulaPolk Posts: 1,650
    edited August 2009
    yes i still do
    I am 100% BORN DEAF and No I am not kidding! :D Why am I here? My wife's hearing! :p

My Home Theater Rig || Television: 58" Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Viera Plasma || Power Conditioner: Power Monster HTS 3600 MKII || Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR805 || Blu-Ray/Gaming: 60 Gigabytes Playstation 3 || Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-5 || Fronts: Polk Audio RT800i || Center: Polk Audio CS245i || Surrounds: TBA|| Subwoofer: TBA
  • Bubinga99
    Bubinga99 Posts: 283
    edited August 2009
    Hi folks, I have a pair of SDA SRS 2.3TL's. In a box somewhere I probably have the original receipt, but it was somewhere around 1991 that I bought them. They've been my primary speakers ever since.

One has been a bit flakey lately (highs cut in and out, and/or sound staticy), which is what brought me here. I found a schematic on another thread so I hope to narrow it down and later post to the troubleshooting thread.

I found a document listing some measured values for other models. Is there a similar document for the 2.3TL's?
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited August 2009
    Welcome to Club Polk Bubinga99!
  • RCFGuitars
    RCFGuitars Posts: 159
    edited August 2009
    Bubinga99 wrote: »

One has been a bit flakey lately (highs cut in and out, and/or sound staticy), which is what brought me here. I found a schematic on another thread so I hope to narrow it down and later post to the troubleshooting thread.

Welcome to CP! I'm sure others will chime in, but it sounds to me like the polyswitches that protect your tweeters may be the culprit. I have been told that they commonly require replacement. It is not a big deal, and Polk will send them to you for no charge.
    Primary System
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (RDO198,Sonicap/Dayton/Mills,CardasCCGR,Mye Spikes,DynamatX,Driver Rings,Ben's IC,Bi-Wired)
    Polk Audio CSiA4 x2 (C)
    Polk Audio FXiA6 (S)
    Polk Audio RTiA3 (RS)
    Polk Audio FXiA4 (FX)
    Epik Sentinel x2
    Yamaha RX-V3900
    Rotel RB-1090
    Rotel RMB-1095
    NAD C565 BEE
    Technics/KAB SL-1210M5G w/ Denon DL-160
    Parasound Halo P7
    OPPO BDP-83
    Panasonic TC-P65V10 65" Plasma
  • Bobsama
    Bobsama Posts: 526
    edited August 2009
    It's debatable. The SDA-CRS+'s that were on long-term free-lease for about a decade and a half were never mine but they're still with my family. They've since been returned. On the other hand yes, I still own the SDA-1's that I bought a few weeks back.
    polkaudio Monitor 5 Series II
    polkaudio SDA-1 (with the SL1000)
    TEAC AG-H300 MK III stereo receiver
    beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) headphones
    SENNHEISER HD-555 headphones
    Little Dot MK IV tube headphone amp
    Little Dot DAC_I balanced D/A converter
  • madmike
    madmike Posts: 81
    edited August 2009
    Here are some pic's of what I have. Missing in picture is my Carver DTL-200 CD player.
    003.jpg 497.2K
  • JohnLocke88
    JohnLocke88 Posts: 1,150
    edited August 2009
    Wow, I would have guessed more like $400-500 for a mint set in black walnut, but I don't follow the prices. If they are only $200, I might look to pick another set up!

No, I'm sure they'll sell for more, I was just trying to make a point that you were not factoring in the residual value into your per year calculation ;)
  • roguesam
    roguesam Posts: 2
    edited September 2009
    Bought as insurance replacement speakers after burglary in Minneapolis circa 1985...Still using them, and just picked up the Sony STDRN 1000 to compliment the Samsung Plasma (PN50B550) that I found last week at Fred Meyer's department store for $899.00, minus $50 Miller Lite mail in rebate. Killer price on the TV, I gotta tell any and everybody that'll listen about THAT price...sorry to bore you guys...
  • Peabody67GTO
    Peabody67GTO Posts: 25
    edited September 2009
    I still have and use my Model 10 Studio Monitors I bought in 1984.
  • THEJERMON
    THEJERMON Posts: 96
    edited September 2009
    Sure do. Bought them in 2008. SDA 2's. :)
  • speedster2333
    speedster2333 Posts: 37
    edited September 2009
    I haven't been around long, but I still have mine which are the LSI9's
  • maxilla
    maxilla Posts: 41
    edited September 2009
    I'm still nuts about my RTA-15TL that I bought back in 1990.
    I just found a pair of black RTA-15T and now I own them.
  • maxilla
    maxilla Posts: 41
    edited September 2009

No way you'll find a set of RTA-15T or TL in great shape for $200. I've been looking for years and the best deal I could find was a pair of black RTA-15T for $300. And they are in OK shape, not great plus one tweeter is blown. The good thing is that I saved on shipping...I traveled 140 miles to get them in my truck.
    They look awesome, so beautiful regardless of the few cosmetic flaws on the cabinets. Unfortunately the previous owner wasn't too careful with these beauties.
    I'm so very happy with them now.
  • Tandberg & Polk
    edited October 2009
    Yes, I still have my RTA 12's.
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,067
    edited October 2009
    I just bought my first pair of Polk speakers (the exact pair) back from the guy I sold them to 5 years ago. A pair of RT2000P's. Going to replace my RT800's in the garage rig.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, Carver Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400x5, ADCOM GFA 7807, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • GTB
    GTB Posts: 87
    edited October 2009
    Nope.....monitor 10's bought in late 80's were traded in on my SDA 2Bs in around 91. The 2Bs are still rock'n, in fact last night it was Blue Man Group's Blue Ray pounding away for almost 2 hours.

So freak'n awesome that I'm playing it again today.

Greg
    Home Theater
    Polk RTi8
    Polk Monitor 40
    Polk CSi5
    Polk MicroPro 2000
    Visio 42 LCD
    Denon AVR 790
    Samsung BD 1600

Two Channel
    Polk SDA 2B
  • danz1906
    danz1906 Posts: 5,144
    edited October 2009
    Nope, not my first pair(RTiA5s),but I have my second pair(RT55is):D
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D
  • STORMINORMAN
    STORMINORMAN Posts: 9
    edited October 2009
    Yep. A pair of Monitor5 Jr.'s purchased in 1987 for $259.00 because they sounded pretty close to my Yamaha NS1000's at low volume levels. Just dropped beneath the old $1/month investment level...

Bought a perfect pair of black RT15i's yesterday for $70 for surrounds.

p.s. 1st post!
    I:ROTELpre/proADCOM5Ch,AtTechSub,Monitor7&5Jr's,B&WCenter,SamsungBRay,YamDVD(24bit for CD's) II:YamCX-1000,MX-1000,TX-1000,KX-W602,EQ-70&CDC-815 driving NS-1000M, +MitsubishiAmp driving ATRIUM4 III:YamRX-V596+Boston Ac Micro90C+(4X)Micro90SamsungBRay,VelodyneSub &42"LG LCD
    IV:another RX-V596 JBL Towers, JBL3way BS & Sub, PhillipsDVD, Pana42"Plasma V:Tandberg Receiver, NEC CD TechnicsDDCas&Turntable&,Sigma,MitsuVCR VI:BOSELifestyle 12 via hp desktop VII:Toshiba 24"&SD-H400 DVD/TiVo