Do you still own your first pair of Polk speakers?

Comments

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2007
    Okay John, don't get me wrong, I LIKED the RTA11t's when they were here. They were a little more forward than the 9's. Little hotter up top. I believe the 9's are almost perfectly neutral, not over or underemphasizing anything. As well as I liked how much the 11t's imaged, the 9's are night and day better. I would attribute that to the "Acoustic Blanket" installed on the front baffle of the 9's. I think any speaker would benefit from the addition of some sort of treatment like this to the front baffle. As well as the 11t's image without one, you can only speculate about how well they might image with one. Perhaps even better than the 9's? Definitely possible. As far as the low end, it's not even close. The 11t's are supposed to be okay down to 26 cycles or something like that, while the 9's published -3db point is 28 or 29. I never had the 11t's pressurize my chest and my socks the way the 9's can though.

That is as technical and comprehensive as I can get.
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited December 2007
    Thanks, that's just what I was hoping for. I always noticed the brightness of the 11t's SL2000 tweeter, maybe the silk dome would tame that.

Have you ever heard a pair of large SRS models?
  • JimMueller
    JimMueller Posts: 100
    edited December 2007
    SDA-1C's bought on 2/2/90 for $1380. Bought the RM3000 kit and CS100 a few years later but I can't find that receipt.
    Yamaha RX-2600 receiver, Nakamichi Dragon, Mitsubishi HS-U80 VCR, Pioneer DVL-90 LD Player, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray player, Sony CDP-X555ES CD player, Carver TFM-42, Carver AV-634, Panasonic TC-P54V10 plasma, BenQ W1070 PJ, Fisher MT-90 turntable, AKG-K340 headphones, Polk SDA-1C mains, CS-400i center, FX A4 surrounds, Rti A1 surround backs
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2007
    I still have mine.

Center: Polk CS350
    Floor standing: Polk rt12

Here are my rti12's as my rear speakers in my Theater. Tomorrow my new Rti8's come in from RPS so they will be moved back to my setup upstairs in my bonus room.

image003.jpg

Heres is the CS350 as they sit right this second.

VM20.JPG

I got them both about 12ish years ago for this setup (this pic is 10 years old)

HT-%201998.jpg
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • fenderlady
    fenderlady Posts: 24
    edited December 2007
    Yep, I still have my SDA2's bought in 1985 and they sound great. The only thing I would like better? A pair of SRS! Oh a girl can wish!
    Pioneer Elite 24 receiver, Rotel 1095B 5 channel amp, Sony BDP-300 Blu-Ray, Marantz laserdisk, Polk SDA2, Csi5. Samsung HLT6178 DLP.
  • pills6175
    pills6175 Posts: 16
    edited December 2007
    Still have my first pair of sda srs .Bought them in 1988 and they sound better every day specially after the tweeter upgrade to silk dome.
    AJ
  • Marty913
    Marty913 Posts: 760
    edited December 2007
    fenderlady wrote: »
    Yep, I still have my SDA2's bought in 1985 and they sound great. The only thing I would like better? A pair of SRS! Oh a girl can wish!

I also have a pair of SDA2's (1986). Great speaker but my goal is to "revisit" the 2.3TLs I owned from 1989 - 1995. There's just something about those damn things that drive me to spend money. I just bought a pair of SDA-1C's so I'm heading in the general direction.

Siverti, nice pictures. I just love pictures.:D
    Sony 60'' SXRD 1080p
    Amp = Carver AV-705THX 5-Channel
    Processor = NAD T747
    Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray
    Main = SDA-1C Studio with RD0s, spikes, XO rebuild, rings, I/C upgrade
    Center=Polk CS10, Surround = Athena Dipoles, Sub= Boston 12HO
    Music/Video Streaming = Netgear NEO550
    TT = Audio Technica
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2007
    Nope. The first Polk's I ever owned were 2 pairs of R1's. It was a stretch at the time paying the $80 retail per pair at Circuit City - but it was my first video (home theater) system with a Marantz Quadradial receiver, JVC Hifi VCR, and a Realistic passive 12 inch sub hooked up inline on the front pair.

I wish I could listen to that system today, I look back fondly on it.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    I should have posted in this thread ages ago, thanks for the reminder Russ.

No. My first Polk's were Monitor 10B driven off a Kenwood receiver....when they were actually called receivers and not AVR's. I absolutely loved it until I had my first bite of "hi-fi" with a pair of KEF C15 bookshelf speakers....changed my life but I owe it all to Polk.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2007
    Wow, C15's. Sure would be nice to have a minty pair of THOSE again, wouldn't it?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2007
    :D I do, thanks to you brother, lol. I listen to them DAILY.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2007
    I don't want any more **** about last Christmas, deal?

Now, back to your regularly scheduled Polk thread.
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2007
    OK. Deal.

SOOOOOOO, Do you own your first Polk speakers???????
  • psyshack
    psyshack Posts: 7
    edited December 2007
    First Polk's were M7b.
    Good God were those great speakers. Gave them to a girl with a great whowho.

Second set were M10b.
    Gave them to my best friend. He enjoys them to this day.

I currently have M4's, M3II's, CS200, M&K MX100.

So no. I don't still own my first set of Polks. But I still have Polks. and will be buying more. :)
    Current:
    M4, M3II, CS200, M&K MX100
    Running on a Sony STR-D965

Past:
    M7, M10
  • Odd I/O
    Odd I/O Posts: 13
    edited December 2007
    meter.gif
    Indeed, I do still own my first pair of Polks.... Afterall, I just bought the pair last week for fifty bucks... A couple of RTA 12B's---- Do I plan on keeping them? .... Well, only until someone pries them from my cold dead hands LOL
    IMG_0536.jpg
    IMG_0537.jpg
    ...i'm a picker, i'm a grinner, i'm a lover, and i'm a sinner; I play my music in the Sun...
  • apphd
    apphd Posts: 1,514
    edited January 2008
    Yes I do, and rather than post a new thread to ask this maybe someone here can help me ID them better. On the back they list the modle as: Monitor Series 2. They look almost identical to the M3II and if I remember correctly sold for about the same price. They are badged a little different with the Polk lable on the grill instead of the cabinet body like the M3II's. I think I purchased these around 1993 as surrounds as I made my first step into the world of HT prior to Dolby Digital. My last purchase was some Monitor 50s to replace my 25 year old Genesis Physics 320s until I have time to replace the surround foams and return the Genesis to the mains and move the Monitor 50s to surround duty. I have searched the forum, and the older product support pages but can not find any info on these (Monitor Series 2) anyone know when how / long these were produced, and were they spec'd the same as the M3II's as I suspect? They are still performing great so no need for any replacement parts just currious.
  • djf
    djf Posts: 120
    edited January 2008
    Absolutely. Polk SDA-SRS
    Purchased spring, 85.

Current:
    Lark's Tongue in Aspic
    Easy Money

Problem is I need about 300 watts more, although my neighbors would not agree!
  • merrylander
    merrylander Posts: 14
    edited January 2008
    Bought my 7Bs in Ottawa late 70s IIRC, and they followed me here, still look like new and are in daily service. Somehow or the other I have managed to get a pair of 10Bs, 5As and 5Bs. The fives are in reserve the 10Bs are live in my workshop driven by a Yamaha CR-800, a CR-2020 drives the 7Bs
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,526
    edited January 2008
    umm... of all people to see over here...

:-)

(EDIT: good to see you here, sir!)
  • tbyrne
    tbyrne Posts: 43
    edited January 2008
    I still have the Monitor 7Bs I bought in November, 1983 and they still sound great!
  • Barton82
    Barton82 Posts: 20
    edited January 2008
    Yes i have the monitor 8t's and i have had them for a month, love them so far.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,155
    edited January 2008
    Barton82 is up to 9 posts wonder what he wants to sell.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited January 2008
    Edit: I don't own anything older than 2000
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • edwardm10
    edwardm10 Posts: 104
    edited January 2008
    My first pair of Polks were cherry R-15's bought at Fry's about three years ago for 50 bucks and its been downhill since then. I now own sda 1c's, sda crs+ with original stands, monitor 5b's, monitor 10b's, and a csi-5. I also gave a pair of monitor 10 series 2 to my brother so he could get his Polk thing on. By the way, the R-15's that started it all are being stored in the box they came in, go figure.
  • wizzy
    wizzy Posts: 867
    edited January 2008
    xsmi wrote: »
    Yep Monitor 4's at a pawn shop in '89 for $75.00. I had to pawn them at a different Pawn shop in August of 1990 to pay for books. I pawned them on a Wed. I walked back into my dorm room on that Friday thay were back on the shelf. My girlfriend at the time went back to the Pawn shop and got them back for me. I married her. Still have the speakers, the wife I lose on May 3rd.

At least you have your priorities straight :p
  • quadlatte22
    quadlatte22 Posts: 1
    edited January 2008
    Purchased my Monitor 10-B's in 1985. They're still sweet as they can be after all these years, and I've heard nothing better even at four or five times the price.
    However, two of the drivers blew the other day after I foolishly cranked up "Sunspots" by NIN using an inferior amp while my equally ancient and faithful Denon was in the shop. (How could I have violated them so?)
    Anyway, the Polk Folks told me the model of driver available to replace them but can't find them listed anywhere on the Polk site nor how to actually order them. Help, please, (and forgiveness).
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited January 2008
    Purchased my Monitor 10-B's in 1985. They're still sweet as they can be after all these years, and I've heard nothing better even at four or five times the price.
    However, two of the drivers blew the other day after I foolishly cranked up "Sunspots" by NIN using an inferior amp while my equally ancient and faithful Denon was in the shop. (How could I have violated them so?)
    Anyway, the Polk Folks told me the model of driver available to replace them but can't find them listed anywhere on the Polk site nor how to actually order them. Help, please, (and forgiveness).

I don't know what drivers you need. You could try doing a search on here or make it easy and call Polk back and they could also give you prices and such. Most likely you will get free shipping if you tell them you're a forum member.
  • philr168
    philr168 Posts: 91
    edited January 2008
    RTA 12c's purchased new with a Carver M1.5t still have both.
  • Road Runner
    Road Runner Posts: 106
    edited January 2008
    I'm not sure which came first, but my first two speaker purchases were Mini-Monitors and 7b's. I still have them. The MM's get daily use in the kitchen. The 7b's would be nice in my home office but are a touch too big so I use them in my shop/workout room.

minis-front.jpg
    minis-rear.jpg
    7BLf.jpg

How come it looks brown on one of the drivers?
  • taywood
    taywood Posts: 1
    edited January 2008
    Yes Monitor Series 2 M12. 1991.
    Newbe Joined today
    Looking for Mod's any info would help
    Thanks