Do you still own your first pair of Polk speakers?

Comments

• candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited June 2008
    Swap the tweeters from one speaker to the other before you do anything. It could be the tweeters. I bought a pair of 1b's and both tweeters were bad in the right speaker. I put 2 used sl2000's in it and haven't had a problem since.
  • PolkClyde
    PolkClyde Posts: 662
    edited July 2008
    I own the big boys The SDA'S 2.1 I believe They still look good and sound good.I bought them in 1988. I just purchase from E-bay the much smaller SDA 2B it's the model with one tweeter two drivers and a "10" Passive radiator.. but only the tweet works in one.I'm going to test the other drivers to see if I need a driver replacement. Be careful when you are purchasing Electronics from E-bay. AS always the seller said they were on Ok when I shipped them.
    PolkAudioClyde
  • WastelandWand'r
    WastelandWand'r Posts: 466
    edited July 2008
    Purchased first set from the 'Stereo Shoppe' in Moscow ID while at U of I in 1986. Recently acquired another set of 10's. Upgraded XO and tweeters to RDO-0194's in one set.
    Working on a set of 1b's to experience the SDA for the first time.
    Always a Polk fan.
    Home Rig

SDA 2.3TL's front and center
    Polk 1000p Center
    Pioneer Elite SC35 Receiver (Pre/Surround
    Sunfire Cinema Grand 5X200-Back in the mix.
    OPPO BDP-93
    Squeezebox
    Stepped up to name brand Speaker Cables and interconnects!
    Monitor 4, 5, 7, 10's, SDA 1B's, 2B's, 2.3TL's, RTA 15TL's all in storage waiting for me.
    Sales Rating #1!!
  • Ivorytooth
    Ivorytooth Posts: 14
    edited July 2008
    Yup, I bought a pair of SDA 1C Studios in 1988 brand new. They are still my only house speakers and they sound great and are still like brand new.
  • Larry Chanin
    Larry Chanin Posts: 601
    edited July 2008
    Ivorytooth wrote: »
    Yup, I bought a pair of SDA 1C Studios in 1988 brand new.

Hi,

Same here. :D

Twenty years later they are still serving as my main speakers in a dedicated home theater.

sda-1cl.jpg

For more photos click on the link in my signature.

Larry
  • tonemeister08
    tonemeister08 Posts: 14
    edited July 2008
    bought a pair (2.3tl's) in '89 to use with a counterpoint sa 5.1,sa-20 combo. read some more audio mags... big f@#$%^g mistake . sold them for a pair of martin-logan sequel 2's.hating life so i bought a pair of 2.3's and never looked back .the hot combo in the late 80's early 90's was to drive the 2.3's and 1.2's with the "big mac" the mc 2500...500 watts per.loud enough to make you wonder if you can still have children. there's a whole back story to the acquisition of the counterpoint equipment but, i'll leave that for another time...tony
  • BB3
    BB3 Posts: 297
    edited July 2008
    Yes I sure do. RTA15TL's...Purchased from Audio Junction in Pittsburgh, Christmas 1990.
    Sony 52in.XBR6
    Sony 32in.XBR6
    Anthem AVM50V
    Anthem PRE-2L
    Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1
    Carver C-9
    Carver C-19 PreAmp
    Carver C-16 PreAmp
    2-Carver Silver 7-T's
    4-Carver TFM55's
    2-Carver TFM35's
    1-Carver TFM25
    Carver 490T
    Denon DCD1560
    Sony BDP-S350
    Sony PS3
    Nintendo Wii
    Panasonic DMK23DVR

Speakers :

PolkAudio SDA-SRS
    PolkAudio SDA-SRS 1.2TL
    PolkAudio SDA-CRS+(Compliments Of Mr. Jim Thomas"jtgranby")
    PolkAudio RTA-15TL
    PolkAudio M3
    3-Velodyne F-1500's
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited July 2008
    Face wrote: »
    It's the poly switches in the crossover, they need to be replaced.

Plus 1. You can bypass them if you are cautious with the volume control. Polk sends free replacements to Club Polk members;)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,659
    edited July 2008
    Larry, I love your setup.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Watts2DB
    Watts2DB Posts: 1
    edited July 2008
    Hello everyone.
    Not vintage but I own a pair of RT35's which I have repaired a couple of times.
    I bought them new when they were new and they still look new.
    Great sound...
  • sgval1
    sgval1 Posts: 2
    edited July 2008
    I bought my Studio Monitor 12's in 1992, I was stationed in Spain in the US Air-Force, I had the units shipped back with me in 1994. They are still my favorite speakers. The frequency range is incredible. I replaced the tweeters in 1996...they got smoked. Polk replaced them for free. They have been kept in a closet for about 6 years now. I pull them out once and a while when I get that itch....;) Dont have the room these days... I would like to find them a new home...if anyone is interested...You will need a solid power amp. These babies suck alot of juice... I figured that they need to go to someone who knows about PA, if not they will stay with me. sgval@hotmail.com
  • PolkClyde
    edited July 2008
    McLoki wrote: »
    '88 or '89 - SDA 1b's in walnut vinyl. Still have them (although the cabinets are now shot - pressboard does not suvive flooded basements well)

Still all original. I pulled them out when I purchased my LSi's and the vifa tweeter blows away the SL2000. (have not upgraded them to silk domes yet)

I have always toyed with the idea of building new cabinets for them from good furniture grade plywood.

Michael
    How does these speakers sound I was thinking about buying a pair.... it's kind of confusing I went to several sites they are sold as a single. left speaker and right speaker. tell me something about them.
    PolkAudioClyde
  • awe-d-o-file
    awe-d-o-file Posts: 146
    edited July 2008
    I bought my RTA-12's when they came out. SN 572,573. I sold them to Mark Vann the banjo player in Leftover Salmon may he rest in peace.....

ET

System: MF Trivista SACD > Placette passive> CJ passive horizontal bi-amp> MF 2500A(LF) MF2100(HF) > 1.2TL's

Other: Speltz silver Eichmann IC's & speaker wire, Econotweaks Detail Magnifiers, PS Audio P-300(source), R. Gray 600, Al Sekala's AC R/C filters, R. Gray HT PC's, Oyaide R-1's,WPC-Z , M-1, Herbie's & DIY Isolation
    Room: Qty 7 - 4' tall 18" diam. bass traps, Qty 4 - 4' X 2' X 4" panels. All DIY - man my wife is tolerant!
  • sgval1
    sgval1 Posts: 2
    edited July 2008
    PolkClyde wrote: »
    How does these speakers sound I was thinking about buying a pair.... it's kind of confusing I went to several sites they are sold as a single. left speaker and right speaker. tell me something about them.

abcdefghijklmnopolkaudio
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited July 2008
    Virtually flawless RTA 8TLs still in da house doing HT duty.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • PolkClyde
    edited July 2008
    I still have my Polk 1.2's and I just purchase the 2'b's or what ever they are. Hey Ted what are they, Mr reeltrouble
    PolkAudioClyde
  • ajanzalone
    ajanzalone Posts: 128
    edited August 2008
    Polk 10's
    I purchased in 1977. SN #54385 & #54375 still factory original

I still use the "Audio Research SP5" pre-amp & the "Quad 405" dumping amp, (100 w rms). All purchased in 1977

1981 Divorced - She got the House & 1 Business ...
    But I got the Polks!
    Audio Research SP5 Preamp
    Quad 405 Amp
    Pioneer Elite DV-48AV -
    Outlaw 950 preamp/processor
    Polk Monitor 10's
    Velodyne VRP 1200 Sub Woofer

Success is having what you want ... but Happiness is wanting what you have!
  • PolkClyde
    edited August 2008
    yes I still own my 1.2's got them in 1988 and not too long ago bought the 2A's I need help with installing the poly switches. ted where are you? I hope reeltrouble1 will sell me his 1C's I think that's what they are.
    PolkAudioClyde
  • akajimmy
    akajimmy Posts: 50
    edited August 2008
    I bought a pair monito 5jrs in 1987. They are still running strong. With the help of this forum, they just got new midwoofers about a week ago. I also just bought a pair of monitor 10s, one of em needs a new midwoofer, they are in sold shape. Best purchase I ever made.
  • sswilson
    sswilson Posts: 13
    edited August 2008
    SDA 1Cs purchased in the Canex of Baden West Germany in `88/`89 (Replaced a set of Klipsh KG4s). Been using these as my main speakers since then.

Just had my hands on the original reciept today... 1889 DM. :)

Still going strong, especially since the fine folks here helped me track down a faulty Polyswitch on the L/H Crossover.
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited August 2008
    Yes, and the second and third sets too,haven't had them very long and I'm looking for maybe two more pairs before I say enough! Monitor10As, SDA1As & SDA2Bs :D gdb
  • dh4645
    dh4645 Posts: 61
    edited August 2008
    yep, i just bought em

l_62eab4cc287309b6d41cec745be94e73.jpg
    My entertainment setup:
    Sony XBR9 52"
    C - Polk CS1
    F - 2 Polk Monitor 60's
    S - 2 Polk Monitor 30's
    SB - 2 Polk Monitor 30's
    Sub - Polk PSW111
    Onkyo 605 AVR
    Scientific Atlanta DVR
    Z-Line Vitoria Stand/Mount
    PS3 and Xbox 360
  • kgingras
    kgingras Posts: 113
    edited September 2008
    Monitor 10B's bought in '84. Currently used as my mains in a HT.
    Pioneer VSX-1018
    Emotiva XPA-2
    Parasound 2100
    Emotiva ERC-1
    Music Hall MMF 5
    Strata Minis
    PS3
    Samsung PNA50A550 Plasma
  • Lawrence Grand
    Lawrence Grand Posts: 21
    edited September 2008
    Yes. Monitor 7Bs purchased in '79, driven off a Kenwood receiver. A few years ago, I replaced the entire system with a Moon integrated amp and JM Focal Lab speakers. I just re-connected the Polks to a Yamaha home theater in a different location. Other than needing to replace a midrange driver, they still sound great. Warmer than the French speakers.
  • Bigerik
    Bigerik Posts: 149
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I guess I do.
    A pair of Monitor 4's that are over at my parents place. Those guys have been around for ages....
  • xpert54
    xpert54 Posts: 5
    edited September 2008
    Yes I do. A set of the Polk M5jrs. I have a Kenwood KA 405 amp powering them. Absolutly the best sounding speaker I've ever listened to for its size. They have been my main speakers for well over 10yrs
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited September 2008
    Nope; they were a pair of bookshelf/surround speakers (forget the model) that stayed with the ex in my old house....*sigh*
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • b_dick
    b_dick Posts: 53
    edited September 2008
    Yes, I still have my Model 7's purchased in 1981. What an engaging sound! I also have my LSi7's bought a few months ago and a pair of Series II 5 jr's discarded!! by a neighbor when she moved.

So, yes, I still have my first THREE pairs of Polk speakers.
  • benzlo
    benzlo Posts: 28
    edited September 2008
    My first pair was a set of Polk Monitor RTA -11T's. I still have them but they are currently not part of an active system.

I stretched my $150 budget and worked the seller down $50 to get them for $200.

Probably some of the best money I have ever spent.

The mids are so clean it doesn't even sound like a speaker.
  • Old School Polk
    Old School Polk Posts: 12
    edited September 2008
    Got my Monitor 7bs from December 1980 and my Monitor 10s from around 1983. Both pairs still mint and sound great after years of usage!