Do you still own your first pair of Polk speakers?

Comments

• leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited February 2009
    My first Polk speakers were the RM705 satellite speakers and they are long gone.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,071
    edited February 2009
    My Monitor 10's are gone, but I still miss em...If I only had more room...
  • xj4094dg
    xj4094dg Posts: 1,158
    edited February 2009
    My first Polks were a set of LS90's and two sets of M3ii's. Lost them in a custody battle:(...GREAT speakers! I stll have the Parasound HCA 2200ii amp and Mirage PS12180 that I bought with the LSi90's. Good all-around starter system. Time for an LSiC!
    Survived on my ESS amt 1d's (also great) for years until my LSi 9's and 7's arrived for Christmas.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." Neil deGrasse Tyson.
  • CPUHog
    CPUHog Posts: 5
    edited February 2009
    Bought a pair of Mon 5B's in 1985. When my Dad got me a pair of 7C's for college graduation in 87, I gave him my 5s. The 7's are still my mains in my rig. They are unmodded but I'm thinking about modding them (you guys are a bad influence!) I'm driving the 7's with a Carver Receiver 900.
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    edited February 2009
    Yes still have the SDA 2B's for over two years now, and added four other pairs of polks now
  • mustgtguy
    mustgtguy Posts: 15
    edited March 2009
    Still got my SDA SRS 2's I bought in 1988....they are the center of my home theater now.
    NEVER PART WITH THEM!!!
  • 285exp
    285exp Posts: 43
    edited March 2009
    I still own the 10B's I bought new around 1988, but they are in storage. These SDA-SRS's, vintage 1985 were my dads and now grace my AV setup.

285exp-albums-fishin-pics-picture20635-a.jpg
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited March 2009
    First Polks were a pair of SDA-2 bought in 88 or 89. Still have them, but they are now gathering dust sitting in the dining room (storage area for old audio equipment). I should find a home for them with someone who will fix them up. The cloth covered side panels feel off due to a poor glue job at the factory, and I tried to glue them back to no avail. Also, have three other models of book shelf Polks sitting in the dining room since they were part of my HT journey. I would buy one model, say it sounds great, and then buy the next level. I finally ended up with LSi15s and an LSiC for the HT. Now that I think of it there must be 3-4 subs also sitting in there, and another CS speaker.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pjsjr
    pjsjr Posts: 31
    edited March 2009
    My first Polks were/are RTA 8t...they're playing Bad Company/Bad Company right now:D. Preston
  • lwesker
    lwesker Posts: 2
    edited March 2009
    I still have all my vintage Polk speakers, though some are sitting idle.

SDA-1C are still my main speakers from sometime in the '80s and until I die, although a rattling cone has brought me to this web site to find replacement drivers. Seeing a lot of tempting talk on crossover upgrades and better tweeters. I could be doing a lot of speaker renovation.

Two pair of M3 and a CS101 are my surrounds/center, although idle since we rearranged the living room and I am putting off the effort of rewiring everything until we settle on new HDTV/Receiver/Furniture.

A pair of Monitor 10 for the basement.

--
    Lawrence
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2009
    Welcome to Club Polk lwesker.
  • Blinddog
    Blinddog Posts: 12
    edited March 2009
    R50's from Fry's in 2005 for $149. They are on loan to some sonically challenged friends with the understanding that they come home to papa if they replace them or no longer need them. Those are still by far the best inexpensive non-vintage speakers I have ever heard.
  • Knucklehead
    Knucklehead Posts: 3,602
    edited March 2009
    R150's i bought about 3 months ago....LOL
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan
  • Evanguy2004
    Evanguy2004 Posts: 77
    edited March 2009
    I bought my Monitor 10's Series 2 Speakers in 1991 and I still use them everyday! I haven't done anything with them except move to three states with them in tow. I absolutely love them!! I might consider never buying another pair of main speakers
  • bcline
    bcline Posts: 59
    edited March 2009
    I bought my set of Monitor 5b speakers in 1989 as soon as I had graduated college and started to make a little money. I have been using them for the last 20 years and just recently have purchased a used set of SDA-2A speakers. The 5b still sounds great and I'm considering a crossover upgrade on them to see if I can get the improvement everyone seems to think you will get.
  • No3pencil
    No3pencil Posts: 19
    edited April 2009
    Yup, my RT-3s purchased from Nobody Beats the Wiz in 96 or 97
  • BrentMcGhee
    BrentMcGhee Posts: 548
    edited April 2009
    absolutley!! my RT55i's actually just last month turned 8 years old (yes i do know the exact date that i bought them and yes i do throw them birthday parties)

I still am so happy with these speakers like they day i bought them!
  • chunny
    chunny Posts: 15
    edited April 2009
    I don't want to sound too old for you guys but I bought my first pair of Polk speakers on November 20th 1982. They are RTA 12 B's and after almost 27 years they are still going strong and sound better than ever.
  • civilian
    civilian Posts: 357
    edited April 2009
    I still have every Polk Speaker I have bought. The Rt55's were my first and now are my surrounds.
    Ender Posts: 603
    edited April 2009
    Still have my first Polk speakers which I got a month or two back... SDA 2A and SDA SRS 2. :D
    SDA 1C, SDA 2A, SDA SRS 2, CMT-340SE, Swan M200MKII, Swan D1080MKII, Behringer MS40

Outlaw Audio M2200 x2, GFA 555 II, BGW 750C

GDA 700, Outlaw Audio Model 990, Sansa Fuze, X-Fi Platinum Fatality
  • rdupre
    rdupre Posts: 36
    edited April 2009
    I bought my first pair of SDA 1Cs in 1989 with oak tops for $1188. I still have the receipt. I have them on my AV system as my left and right speakers. They are awesome in stereo mode too. They look like the day I bought them. I can't tell you how many people ask me about them the first time they are in my media room.

I have another pair of SDA 1Cs that I got off of EBAY in 2004 that I am using as my rear speakers for the AV system.
  • danz1906
    danz1906 Posts: 5,144
    edited April 2009
    I still have my RT55is
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D
  • HK/PA Fan
    HK/PA Fan Posts: 1
    edited April 2009
    Yes, Monitor -10A's purchased in Groton, CT in 1983. Vinyl walnut with original fabric. Look almost as good as they did when I pulled them out of the boxes. Still sound sweet and with only one replacement tweeter installed about 6 years ago. Is there any value in these old monsters? I love them, but they're taking up valuable real estate in the den.

Just got rid of the PA boxes about 2 month's ago.

George Jones
  • Mojori
    Mojori Posts: 6
    edited April 2009
    Yes ! M3II's, just rebuilt them.
  • White Light
    White Light Posts: 1
    edited April 2009
    Polk Model 7 Monitors, Driven by any of the following...Modified Dynaco Mark III's, Hafler 220, Mackie 1440i, Crown 350
  • theelviscerator
    theelviscerator Posts: 12
    edited April 2009
    I guess my definition of rough is actually GOOD SHAPE.
  • dsnash
    dsnash Posts: 1
    edited April 2009
    I have a pair of Monitor 10B's and a pair of SDA - CRS 's...bought them while stationed in Germany in the mid to late 80's - still have them today, not interested in getting rid of them...just bought a YAMAHA RX-V659BL to drive them...although I want to run 7.1...not sure what I am going to add to them to finish them off...suggestions would be appreciated.
  • GaryW
    GaryW Posts: 60
    edited April 2009
    I still have my Monitor 10"s I bought new in 1986 and a pair of SDA SRS 2 I bought in February. They are fantastic.

Gary
  • polishmafiaboss
    polishmafiaboss Posts: 3
    edited May 2009
    I still have my Monitor 10, Series 2's that I bought in 1991. I need a new tweeter for one of them, tho. They are driven by a Carver HR-752. They are still some of the best sounding speakers I've ever heard. Would love to get a pair of SDA's......
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 441
    edited May 2009
    They were a pair of Monitor 4's that were my main speakers in my college dorm room. They have been my (dual) center channel speakers for over 10 years now, and still sound great (very clear dialog).
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets