Do you still own your first pair of Polk speakers?

Comments

• rru2s
    rru2s Posts: 90
    edited January 2008
    Yes. 10s, purchased in 1979. Built my own wood stands, tilted. Replaced tweeters at least three times, 6.5 inch midrange a couple times. Finally retired them this Xmas and my son has them in the basement with a couple other 15 inch floorstanding speakers. Kind of shakes the house down there.

When I'm in the mood someday I'll replace the blown speakers again, but I just got tired all around of replacing things on vintage equipment. In 2000 I repaired my ADC soundshaper, my 180wpc Spectroacoustics 202 power amp, and the Polk 10s, and over a mere 7 years every piece of equipment went bad again -- power amp, 2 speakers, EQ was never fixed right, plus my Advent 300 went out, too. No more patience for repairing 30 year old vintage equipment.

So at Xmas I bought an Outlaw RR2150, 100wpc quality receiver, a pair of Monitor 70s, a 130w sub, and loved all of it. Plus I haven't even turned the volume up past 9:00. I tell myself that I can't afford to lose any more hearing since I'm 50. However, I think I have caught the bug for more bass power, thinking of a 15 inch now.
    Living Room system: 52"HDTV, 4 Mon.70s, Epik Valor, Outlaw RR2150
    Bedroom System: 2 Mon.60s,Velo VRP1200, HK3490
  • sg7677
    sg7677 Posts: 18
    edited February 2008
    Still have my SDA-CRS's that I bought around 1987 or 1988. They still work great. I have never abused them nor overloaded them. I have taken the front grill off only a handful of times. They have some dust on them but no nicks or scratches. I had thought of selling them a few times but now am glad I didn't. They are perhaps the best speaker that Polk made for small to medium sized apartments and even smaller rooms in homes. Since then, I have acquired a pair of SDA 1C's and a near mint pair of SDA 2's. All of the SDA's that I have are the later models; the SDA CRS's with the single tweeter and the SDA 1C's having the two vertically mounted tweeters and the SDA2's having a single tweeter in each enclosure.

I would absolutely love to find another pair of later model SDA 1's for my bedroom, but I would settle for another pair of CRS's.
  • lakesailor
    lakesailor Posts: 319
    edited February 2008
    I was at an after hours invitation only demo. night at the local dealership to hear the Polk Rep. demo the then new SDA series. I was very taken with them; however the rep. told me that the 11T utilized the same drivers and in his opinion were the better deal in the Polk lineup. I special ordered a pair in Black Ash finish and have loved them ever since.

I originally ran them on a Denon PMA 900 Integrated Amp for years until I upgraded to an SAE component system. The 11T’s really responded nicely to the extra power and I cringe on what I will need to spend to find a pair of speakers that will outperform them.
  • jazzisnumberone
    jazzisnumberone Posts: 53
    edited February 2008
    RTA 12 C's (400.00). I've owned them since 1988. That's 20 years of Polk excellence. I also own the CS400 (170.00).I bought that one in 2003. They are in the front end of my HT. I dont even have to say how GREAT they sound.
  • Treker-1701
    Treker-1701 Posts: 34
    edited February 2008
    Back in the early '80's I auditioned the Polk line at Hudson's Audio in Albuquerque, NM, and fell in love with the Polk Monitor 10's. However, at the time they were out of my price range, so I ended up with a pair of used B&W DM 220's instead.

Fast forward to the late '90's. Two of the drivers on my B&W DM 220's had died and replacements were no longer available. So now I am in the market for new speakers. I went out and auditioned some of the new speakers available at the time and just could not find something that really said "Buy Me!" Then I got to thinking about speakers I had auditioned in the past and had really liked, which led me back to thinking about the Polk Monitor 10's.

I jumped on e-bay just to see what might be available. Man, not only were Monitor 10's available, there were several pairs listed. So now I could actually find some vintage Monitor 10's without having to just run across a pair in the local classifieds or something.

I picked up a nice pair of Monitor 10A's off e-bay in about 1999 or so, and have had them ever since. In the past 9 years I have had to replace 2 of the 6.5" mid-bass drivers with new units from Polk, but they have been going strong ever since. I love these vintage Polks!

Later,

Treker
  • prosdds
    prosdds Posts: 4
    edited February 2008
    I bought my first and only pair of Polk Speakers in 1987 while stationed at Camp Zama Japan. SDA-SRS for $2153.00. Still going strong 21 years later.
  • ryboltroad
    ryboltroad Posts: 16
    edited February 2008
    and which amp would you like?
  • deserteagle
    deserteagle Posts: 2
    edited February 2008
    I wish! I started out with some 10b's? then moved up to the 2.3's then the 1.2's I really miss those days really wished I would've told the x wife NO! Anyone on these boards from Kalispell Montana that still have my 1.2's plz sell them back to me along with my Sumo and carver amps. I remeber listening to yello and just melting in my chair for hours on end. With the speakers spiked to the floor and bolted to the walls the bass was incredible and accurate. The staging was amazing to say the least.
  • lakesailor
    lakesailor Posts: 319
    edited February 2008
    I wish! I started out with some 10b's? then moved up to the 2.3's then the 1.2's I really miss those days really wished I would've told the x wife NO! Anyone on these boards from Kalispell Montana that still have my 1.2's plz sell them back to me along with my Sumo and carver amps. I remeber listening to yello and just melting in my chair for hours on end. With the speakers spiked to the floor and bolted to the walls the bass was incredible and accurate. The staging was amazing to say the least.

I spent a summer working in Kalispell; mind you that was over 20 years ago. didn't find any Polk's around in those days.
  • hotrodfeguy
    hotrodfeguy Posts: 4
    edited February 2008
    Bought them new in 91 Monitor series 2
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited February 2008
    So, er, my first Polk speakers were a pair of R30's I got off of Fry's for a total of $120 shipped.

My sister and her fiance currently have them as I've moved up the ladder a little bit :D
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • jimiles
    jimiles Posts: 46
    edited February 2008
    Yes, I still own the RTA 15TL speakers that purchased from Great Sounds in Muncie IN during my freshman year at Ball State in 1992. The guys in my dorm worshiped them like the monoliths in 2001 a Space Odyssey!
    Party On :cool:
    Jake

In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and was widely regarded as having been a bad idea.
  • timswim78
    timswim78 Posts: 38
    edited February 2008
    I got introduced to Polks with a pair of R30's that I got for $55, shipping included, from Fry's in 2004.

My first real pair was LSI9's that I got on Craigslist.

Yes, I still have them all.
  • howie461
    howie461 Posts: 7
    edited February 2008
    SDA 1A's bought in 1985, or 86 carried them from North Dakota to Korea, to Forida, Guam, and various states in between. All stock, why mess with perfection. Survived 2 floods, look like hell, but Miles Davis couldn't sound sweeter
    there are of course,
    very few problems that can't be solved with the appropriate amount of high explosive
  • StevieB
    StevieB Posts: 256
    edited February 2008
    SDA 2B's bought in late 80's, still going strong!
    McCormack DNA-1 Amp, Parasound Halo P5 Pre Amp, Denon DVD 2900 CD player, Adcom GDA 700 DAC, VPI Traveler TT with Denon 103R cartridge, Lounge Audio MKiii phono pre and Copla SUT, Polk SDA SRS 3.1 TL speakers, Tributaries series 8 IC's and speaker cable.
  • SpeedyFE
    SpeedyFE Posts: 143
    edited February 2008
    I just bought my first POLKS a couple days ago, so I still have them :) My dad has owned a pair of RTL 11TLs since he bought them new and I grew up with those. Great speakers!
  • deserteagle
    deserteagle Posts: 2
    edited February 2008
    lakesailor wrote: »
    I spent a summer working in Kalispell; mind you that was over 20 years ago. didn't find any Polk's around in those days.

Actually there was a stereo shop right on main street next to the JC Penny's that was a Polk dealer. I bought mine back in 91 so maybe they were not there in 88.
  • geoff727
    geoff727 Posts: 546
    edited February 2008
    1st pair (Monitor 5B's): Yes, but about to be upgraded for a friend.
    2nd pair (Monitor 10B's): Yes, they're screaming for attention.
    3rd pair (SDA-SRS 2's): Nope, destroyed in shipping.
    4th pair (SDA-1C's): Yes, I couldn't bear to part with them at this point.
    5th pair (SDA-SRS 2.3tl's): Yes, I don't think I can part with these either.
    Polk SDA SRS 2
    Polk RTA 15tl
    Polk Monitor 7C
    Polk Lsi9

Infinity RS-II (modded)
    Infinity RS-IIIa (modded)
    Infinity RS 2.5 x 2

Magnepan 1.6QR (modded)

System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1290711373
  • xpecoach
    xpecoach Posts: 4
    edited February 2008
    I've had my 11T's since 1990 and will never give them up!
  • mgilson
    mgilson Posts: 1
    edited March 2008
    Bought my Polk RTA12's in 1981 & still using them with a NAD 1130 preamp & 2155 amp
  • doctor r
    doctor r Posts: 837
    edited April 2008
    Monitor 7B with Peerless
    Bought new in 1978 with a NAD 3020 and an Optonica RP 3636 table. The 7Bs are still in my 2 channel system with new drivers and upgraded crossovers and the Optonica is still spinning vinyl with sweet results. EL 34 bliss has replaced the NAD but what a system they originally sold me!:D (Insurance money from my dad's homeowner's insurance - first system Dynaco pre and power (that I built), Rotel table and Synergistic speakers stolen while at college)
    Rick
    integrated w/DAC module Gryphon Diablo 300
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    phono pre Dynamic Sounds Associates Phono II
    turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    cartridges Miyajima Madake, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Ortofon
    speakers Rockport Mira II
    cables Synergistic Research Cables, Gryphon VPI XLR, Sablon 2020 USB
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
    ultrasonic cleaner Degritter
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited April 2008
    Welcome Rick!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited April 2008
    The first Polk speaker I owned was a center channel from the early 90's, don't remember which one. It was good as my first piece, but sold it as soon as I got my hands on my CS350, and have never looked back...
  • cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited April 2008
    First pair were RT10s, late 90s. Still use them today for computor speakers.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • hangon
    hangon Posts: 228
    edited April 2008
    Monitor 10b's and still adding to my collection.
    The 2.3tl's are the latest addition to my collection.
    HT Theater

SRS-SDA 2.3tl RDO's
    Custom Center made out of a RTA15tl
    Pioneer Elite SC-25 Receiver
    CineNova Grande 5 channel Amp
    Klipsch KA-1000-THX Sub Amp
    (2)Klipsch KW-120-THX Subs

Basement System

SRS-SDA 1.2 upgraded Xover
    Pioneer Elite SC-25 Receiver
    ADCOM GFA 5500
    ADCOM GFA 5503
    Yahama P7000S Pro Audio Amp
    dbx 120x-ds Sub-harmonic Synthesizer
    2-JBL 4645C Subs
    1-Paradigm SW2200 Sub
    Klipsch Reference in wall's
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,795
    edited April 2008
    Heh, this thread has been here a while, huh?

First set was EX401's without grills. Bought them sometime in 1995 from Crotchfeel...I mean Crutchfield. Yes I still have them and they are still in the location I put them when I first got them. They've been abused and over-used in the 13 years I've owned them and they will work just peachy! A little faded but 100% operational.

But as for home speakers, first set of Polks was from Zero, I purchased his old SDA 2B's from him. Drove down to his house in VA to get them. I don't remember how long ago that was but it had to be 2002-2003 time frame. Those are being stored now but I will likely not get rid of them since they are a very rare "Signature Series" with PR's signed by the man himself! They need new grill fabric but that is a simple thing to do and I might take the caps off and refinish them at some point too. Otherwise, they are in perfect working order with a crossover and all and still have the SL2000's too! They've been displaced by Amazings which I drove a distance equal to the distance traveled for the 2B's only to upstate New York to get them from BobMcG...in February...when it was 7 degrees out...and snowing.

I only have two pairs of Polk home speakers but 9 pairs of car audio speakers and 6 subwoofers from Polk Audio.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • ajcutler53
    ajcutler53 Posts: 9
    edited May 2008
    I originally bought a pair of Polk 10s after I graduated from College in 1975.

On February 10th, 1983, I bought a pair of Polk SDA-1 speakers and hooked them up to a Hafler DH-101 preamp and a Hafler DH-200 poweramp (still have both amps). I listened to the SDAs for hours the next day as there was a major Northeastern Snow Storm and I couldn't get to work (what great weather timing). I then sold my Polk 10s to a friend.

When the SDA-1 to SDA-1A upgrade came out, I drove to Polk Headquartesr in Baltimore, talked to one of the Engineers and picked up the kit and did the upgrade. I was impressed how much better the SDAs sounded after the upgrade.

Today the SDA-1As live in my living room and particpate in a 7.1 surround system providing sound for my CD and DVD music and for DVD movies.
  • rs2962
    rs2962 Posts: 3
    edited May 2008
    Yes, I have my Polk 10s purchased in 1980. Just took my Harmon/Kardon 680i in yesterday for repairs. My friends love my old system. It rocks!
  • upsman917
    upsman917 Posts: 1
    edited June 2008
    I still have my SDA2's after 18 yrs. just like new. I believe that I may be due for a tune up though. My tweeters cut out sometime just started a year ago, moved over to my Dyna Audio speakers until I figure it out. Anyone know? My Amplifier equipment is a Yamaha MX1000U amp, AVX100U pre-amp, which are working fine.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2008
    upsman917 wrote: »
    I still have my SDA2's after 18 yrs. just like new. I believe that I may be due for a tune up though. My tweeters cut out sometime just started a year ago, moved over to my Dyna Audio speakers until I figure it out. Anyone know? My Amplifier equipment is a Yamaha MX1000U amp, AVX100U pre-amp, which are working fine.
    It's the poly switches in the crossover, they need to be replaced.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche