Do you still own your first pair of Polk speakers?

Comments

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited April 2007
    LOL, Welcome to the club.
    Ditto :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • hassy500
    hassy500 Posts: 2
    edited April 2007
    Thanks for the warm intro everyone!

Playing hookey from work today (:cool: ) to set up my new vintage goodies:

Monitor 10b II

Carver C-4000 pre

Carver M-1.0t amp

Can't remember the last time I had so much fun.

Looking forward to being a member here.
  • jvarnadoe
    jvarnadoe Posts: 52
    edited April 2007
    Yep. My first pair of Polk speakers was the M5JR+ bought in 1991. They are now in my 11 year old son's room and sound as good as ever.
    Polk collection:
    SDA SRS 2.3 w/RDO-194's
    SDA 2 w/Vampire BPHEX
    M5jr+
    CS245i
    RT15i
    RT25i
    RT35i
    LC65i x2
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,769
    edited April 2007
    Bought my SDA-1C's in 1989, and still have them. I even have the original boxes, stryofoam sheets, and plastic bags they came in.

Upgraded the crossovers and tweeters in 2005.
  • fenderlady
    fenderlady Posts: 24
    edited October 2007
    I still have my SDA-2's bought them new and recently upgraded the tweeters, they still sound great. I am just about to buy a Rotel 1095 and couple that in to my Pioneer Elite 24 that is a few years old now. I can hardly wait to hear the SDA's powered by the Rotel..
    Pioneer Elite 24 receiver, Rotel 1095B 5 channel amp, Sony BDP-300 Blu-Ray, Marantz laserdisk, Polk SDA2, Csi5. Samsung HLT6178 DLP.
  • specialidiot
    specialidiot Posts: 44
    edited October 2007
    read-alot wrote: »
    SDA II set off the showroom floor in 1986.

I spent my bonus from winning the 1985 Winston Cup Championship, money well spent.

They are still here.

Darrell, is that you?
    Kitchen: NAD 7220PE, Polk Mini-Monitor
    Home Office:Bottlehead S.E.X, Fostex FE127E in custom enclosures, Grado SR80
    Polks: 7B, Mini Monitor
    Mancave: Yamaha B-2, C-2a, CD-2, T-1, Bottlehead FP3, Thorens TD165c
    Project:KLH 17 Rebuild
    Ruined by DHL: Ming Da MC84-b (modded)
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited October 2007
    Darrell, is that you?

Nah, if I had got his share I would have bought the SRS back then.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,424
    edited October 2007
    Still got the Monitor 5jr+ Series 2 that I bought in college in 1991. They've served me well, and will be placed into whatever system that goes into our new bedroom addition that we're just finishing up.

Jay
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • StephenEC
    StephenEC Posts: 57
    edited October 2007
    Yes, I still have my first pair of Polk Audio Monitor 10's . I bought them in late 1977 . I paid $600.00 for them at that time. Alot of fooseball and Rock N' Roll took place because of those 10's.

Now they are retired to supply sound from a second tv .

Stephen
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited October 2007
    No I bought a pair of sdas a while back maybe 5 years ago not sure what model though. they had I believe 6 drivers and 3 tweeters and a 12'' passive
    the tweeters had double magnents if that tells ya anything. one of the passives did not produce bass I have no idea why. They sounded awful. I sold them quickly and until I got the pair that I have now never listened or owned anymore polks.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • mlastarza
    mlastarza Posts: 32
    edited October 2007
    RTA-11t's bought 1990. Still love them, however I am about to succumb to all the discussion around here about tweeters and will probably be ordering the rdo-194 replacements for the SL2000s in the near future.
    MWL
  • hale2thechief
    hale2thechief Posts: 42
    edited October 2007
    Yes, most of them anyway. RT35i and CS245i, sold one pair of the RT35i.
    First fell for Polk in the mid '80s but didn't buy any until '02 (college kid, no budget back then).
    Picked up a pair of Monitor 10B's a couple months ago. Now I'm on the quest for more vintage Polks.
  • BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited October 2007
    Yes, I bought my 3.1 tl's new in 1989 *(+/-). I still have them and they are near mint. No mods to them and they sound great at least to my ears. In some ways I prefer them to the 1.2 tl's. Soundstage is definitely more open in the big boys but for ordinary listening in my HT setup 3.1"s actually work better than the 1.2 tl's IMO. I have never heard the 2.3's so my next audio goal is to find a nice set of them.
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60
    Screen: Da-Lite 106"
    APC S20 Power conditioner
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,063
    edited October 2007
    Still got 'em! Four MiniMonitors, bought MSRP (silly me) in Denver, CO around 1998 or so (possibly earlier, since I think production stopped in 1996). They sounded good enough with our Yamaha RX-395 stereo AVR (on A & B), but we recently tried them with a new harman/kardon 147, an Acoustech H100 subwoofer, and a CS245i (got some advice from a revered forum member). They were fabulous, even without the subwoofer! A total lease of new life: we couldn't believe how good they sounded in this new setup after ten years of owning them and the match with the 245i was surprisingly excellent.

They've got battered and bashed a bit over the years, moving from state to state, east coast to west coast, but they still sound better than good. I'ld like to repair the grille cloth sometime soon (damage to the cabinets is mostly minor).

The stickers all fell off the back at some stage, but I opened them up and found the tweeters to be SL4000 0.5", and the driver to be MW5505 5.25". Frequency response is stated as 42Hz-25kHz, -3dB limits are 67Hz-23kHz.

Long live the brave little MiniMons!
    Alea jacta est!
  • Gary Batson
    Gary Batson Posts: 124
    edited October 2007
    YEP...Bought my SDA 1's in March '83. Put them back in their boxes in '91 when I went surround. Got them back out this year. They have an in your face sound that can be anoying, But I'm hooked on the three deminsional sound field. Looking for a pair of 1.2 tl's or SRS 2's. I hope they'll be easier to listen to.
  • tomcat6
    tomcat6 Posts: 1
    edited October 2007
    Model 10's. They have been in the box since college. I originally had a system with Bozak speakers that got liberated during a spring break my freshman year of college. I believe that I bought the 10's a couple of years later in 79 - 80. I haven't used them since then because one of the tweeters got ruined during a party at my house (beer spill I believe). My girlfriend recently asked me to get rid of them. I checked them out and both tweeters are not working. I wasn't sure if I wanted to get rid of them because I new how good they were in their day. After hooking up with this website I think I will get some new tweeters (even though there is alot of discussion about how good the new ones are compared to the peerless). It's funny I am no audiophile, but If I get rid of them, I know I would regret it forever. (Unless I replace them with some SRS's).
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited October 2007
    I still have MY first pair! Bought them in 2007 and love every minute with them..
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2007
    tomcat6 wrote: »
    Model 10's. They have been in the box since college. I originally had a system with Bozak speakers that got liberated during a spring break my freshman year of college. I believe that I bought the 10's a couple of years later in 79 - 80. I haven't used them since then because one of the tweeters got ruined during a party at my house (beer spill I believe). My girlfriend recently asked me to get rid of them. I checked them out and both tweeters are not working. I wasn't sure if I wanted to get rid of them because I new how good they were in their day. After hooking up with this website I think I will get some new tweeters (even though there is alot of discussion about how good the new ones are compared to the peerless). It's funny I am no audiophile, but If I get rid of them, I know I would regret it forever. (Unless I replace them with some SRS's).

you owe it to yourself to get some new tweeters.. it's a shame to have such nice monitor 10's and have them sitting unused just because of blown tweeters.. as long as you are a club polk member of this forum, you can can a discount on the tweeters. it's well worth it.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,063
    edited October 2007
    tomcat6 wrote: »
    Model 10's. They have been in the box since college. ... I believe that I bought the 10's a couple of years later in 79 - 80. ...
    Welcome to the forum tomcat6! That's a great first post for a new member!
    Alea jacta est!
  • daesdaemar
    daesdaemar Posts: 34
    edited October 2007
    Yes, a pair of SDA SRS circa 1987.
  • movtarget
    movtarget Posts: 125
    edited October 2007
    Yes. SDA 2 (original version).

Bought them used circa 1987 out of a newspaper classified ad (remember those?). The seller turned out to be the D.A. for Orange County, Carl Fox (Chapel Hill, NC).

Movtarget in NC
  • greg2350
    greg2350 Posts: 544
    edited October 2007
    yep still have my first polks RT600's just bought another pair of RT600's of andygwis.:)
    TV: Philips 42" LCD 1080p
    Front Speakers: Polk Audio RT800i
    Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS1
    Surround Speakers: Polk Audio R50's powered of Denon AVR
    Subwoofer: Polk Audio DSW pro500
    AVR: Denon 3801
    DVD Player: Denon DVM 745 upscale 1080p
    Sat: Directtv HD 10
    Front Speakers Amp: Rotel RB 890
    Center Speaker amp: Rotel 970 BX
  • nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited October 2007
    Yes. I still have my RT800's that I have had for about 6 months now. I love these speakers but I have unfortunatly have not had the privlage to try anything else. Except for the damaged pair of RT600's I just got which sound great also.

SP10.jpg

SP11.jpg
    33535403 Posts: 13
    edited October 2007
    My first Polk Audio is a pair of RTA12 I bought in Spain (U.S. Military Base) during my tour from 1987-1990. I had been around the world dragging my RTA12 to every base I was stationed and after over 20 years I am still rocking with the same speakers. It is still in excellent shape and had been driven by numerous high powered amps (have used different amps in my over 20 years of military service)--still no sign of any wear except cosmetically. Being in the military overseas you usually taste a lot of newer electronics before they even hit the market. I also have a SDA CRS that I bought after my RTA12. RTA12 is the only RTA worth keeping!
  • bolitasboy2
    bolitasboy2 Posts: 13
    edited November 2007
    Still have on my hand so far mon 11 t and rta 15tl. the vintage speaker it's great specially if you can feed the proper power amp. for music and h/t works great amazing sounds stage and imaging sweet.
  • Audioinfidel
    Audioinfidel Posts: 5
    edited November 2007
    I got a pair of Monitor 5b's for my 17th b-day back in 1989. They have been my main speakers ever since. Glad I never got rid of them. The still sound terrific and I use them as my main speakers in a 5.1 system. I even got some Monitor 4.5's off of craigslist this year to use one as the center channel. Those still sound great as well.

Cheers!
  • bolitasboy2
    bolitasboy2 Posts: 13
    edited November 2007
    Hi Apolize,if I Mention Here My Favorite Polk Audio Speaker Monitor 11t And Rta -15 Tl It's In Audiogon Now Pls Check Over There, I Like To Post The Classified Here But I Can Not Go Thrue.b'coz My Post It's Less Than 10 Count Thanks
  • Aqs612scag
    Aqs612scag Posts: 102
    edited November 2007
    Yes, bought my first pair of Polk R15's in 2000. Were used as surrounds, but currently in storage.
  • state
    state Posts: 1
    edited November 2007
    Bought my SDA SRS speakers in 1985 in Japan. Still have them. Thinking about overhauling the crossovers. Still powered by the original Yahama M-80.
  • Bubba -NJ
    Bubba -NJ Posts: 45
    edited November 2007
    Not to be taken as a smart a** on my first post but I just got my first 2 pair of Polks , db 6500 component car audio speakers . A lot cleaner sound then the muddled factory speakers .