Do you still own your first pair of Polk speakers?

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2007
    Yep, still got my first pair of polks. SDA-SRS 1.2's. Bought them when I bought my first house. Actually charged the mortgage to a credit card that month so I could pay cash for the speakers.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited March 2007
    No - 2002 RTi100. Actually just sold them over a week ago.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • whitetruk
    whitetruk Posts: 308
    edited March 2007
    srs`2 will never leave me
    I thought it was fairly amusing also. The Polk Ogre doesn't always get 'it'
  • Jockos
    Jockos Posts: 310
    edited March 2007
    Yes, Monitor 5B's bought in 1990 from honolulu audio and video; no longer in business. Bought RTA 8T's and 11T's next. Sold the 8's last week. Also owned many other newer models and purchased the LSI 15's about 3 years ago. All great speakers except the S6's.
  • larryb52
    larryb52 Posts: 38
    edited March 2007
    10A's bought in 79, stored away for now...bought 10b a couple years later because of the new tweeter offered...
  • MileHigh10B
    MileHigh10B Posts: 3
    edited March 2007
    Bought 10B's in 1986 or 87. I now have them hooked up to Parasound A23,P3 and a Rotel 1072 CD player. I was going to replace them several times when I had extra money, but never found anything I liked more. Last time about a year ago I was going to buy some tube gear ( ended up with the Parasound) and when I brought back the gear to the dealer he said the problem with the tube gear was probably my source or my speakers. Well I brought everything to his home. He picked up the 10B's and laughed because of their weight I guess? He hooked up the Rotel and said that was okay. Then he compared the Polk against his Wison Benasch 15,000 dollar speakers. He played the Wilson's then hooked up the 10b's. After about 5 seconds of music his mouth dropped, he took the grills off looked at me for a second then started playing different tracks on various cd's. No exageration, 35 minutes later he said his first words to me. He looked at me with big eyes and said, "That's pretty good!" There were slight nuaunces between the Wilsons and the Polks but not 14,250 dollars difference. I know people here like the 7's more but all of us are pretty lucky to have the quality of sound we have and for so long.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited March 2007
    Yup. I bought a pair of 10B's in 85 and they're still my main speakers. It seems everytime I think it's time for new speakers, I do an eq change that makes the old dogs sound as good as ever.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • TitaniumMan
    TitaniumMan Posts: 93
    edited March 2007
    The model 5 Junior Plus from '91 or '92. It wasn't exactly the best speaker Polk ever made, so I sold mine.
  • vutuananh
    vutuananh Posts: 3
    edited March 2007
    Dear all

i still use RT 5 , CS 210 , RT 10 , all of them coming from Polk audio. I now going to buy another RT 15 from US to setup in my living room for music. Bose, B W can not be compared with polk in quality / price aspect. My RT 10 sounds better than B&W worth 400 USD in Vietnam.

Cheer
  • Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited March 2007
    Absolutely,

RT12s bought in 1997 along with the 245 center and RT3s. The mains and center have since been replaced with RTA11TLs and a CS400i but the originals are still doing duty in the bedroom.
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • dbnh
    dbnh Posts: 194
    edited March 2007
    I regularly use my studio SDA 1Cs purchased new at the Hanau Germany PX on 17 Sep 89. Upgraded the tweeters a year ago.
  • greyranch
    greyranch Posts: 14
    edited March 2007
    Hi ,am a newbie here.Enjoy reading all the posts.I bought a pair of Monitor 10's original ,used,about 10 years ago.Every upgrade I have made has made these sound better,so I dont think they are the weak link in system.Recently bought an Audiosource amp 2 added to my Yamaha rxv-1200 receiver that I use as a preamp and really makes these sing! Have been considering an upgrade to these speakers but not sure what to go with.
  • GZ
    GZ Posts: 343
    edited March 2007
    My first Polk purchase, RT 7's, are performing front main duties in the family room setup and they still sound great. They and complimented with a 400i center, a pair of RT35i's as surrounds, and a PSW450 sub.
  • jfb4548
    jfb4548 Posts: 168
    edited March 2007
    Yep, still have my SDA-SRS's. I heard um the first day they were on display at a local shop and have enjoyed um ever since.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,450
    edited March 2007
    Feb 2005, Polk's in wall, ceiling and bookshelf. LC265i's, LC65i, LC60i's and LSi7's.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • accasbel
    accasbel Posts: 19
    edited March 2007
    Yep, bought my SDA-1B's new back in '87, never had to get another main speaker. Still sounding good after all these years...
    Live free. Dine well. Drink good beer.
  • accasbel
    accasbel Posts: 19
    edited March 2007
    dbnh wrote:
    I regularly use my studio SDA 1Cs purchased new at the Hanau Germany PX on 17 Sep 89. Upgraded the tweeters a year ago.
    My Polk's came from Rhein-Main Jan 31, 1987, still have the receipt. Best $945 ever spent.
    Live free. Dine well. Drink good beer.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2007
    I bought my first pair of Polk SDA/SRS in the 1984 - 1985 lot. I had to sell them in around 1990. But the first thing I did when I got back into Hi-Fi was to buy a pair of SDA/SRS 1.2 TLs. . .I put in my will that if I loose 50lbs by the time I die, I want to be buried in the left 1.2. My son can have the right one as a memorial or he can us it as my headstone.
  • hangon
    hangon Posts: 228
    edited March 2007
    I still have my first polks from 1988. They are the 10b's with the factory stands. I now retired them to the bedroom, replaced them with the new rti12's.
    HT Theater

SRS-SDA 2.3tl RDO's
    Custom Center made out of a RTA15tl
    Pioneer Elite SC-25 Receiver
    CineNova Grande 5 channel Amp
    Klipsch KA-1000-THX Sub Amp
    (2)Klipsch KW-120-THX Subs

Basement System

SRS-SDA 1.2 upgraded Xover
    Pioneer Elite SC-25 Receiver
    ADCOM GFA 5500
    ADCOM GFA 5503
    Yahama P7000S Pro Audio Amp
    dbx 120x-ds Sub-harmonic Synthesizer
    2-JBL 4645C Subs
    1-Paradigm SW2200 Sub
    Klipsch Reference in wall's
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited March 2007
    No, I don't still own the first pair (SDA-2B) my boss has them. I do however still own a pair of 2Bs.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2007
    Nope.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited March 2007
    Yes, Polk R40s. Currently serving surround duty in my HT. Bought them as floor models in 2001.
  • Tamrac
    Tamrac Posts: 11
    edited April 2007
    No, my first set was a pair of Monitor 7's I bought in the early 80's. When I bought them I could not afford the 10B's but I struck a bargin with the dealer that I could upgrade within a year to the 10B's and get full credit for the 7's. (really talks to the Polk brands lack of depreciation:cool: ). So I saved up my money, drove the 60 miles to the Polk Dealer, and upgraded. I've had the 10B's ever since:D
    I recently retired them from my 5.1 HT setup because their foot print was a little to big to go with my new Plasma (Samsung S5073). I've installed a pair of TCi265's in the wall and I'm very happy with them. But I'm not planning on selling my 10B's anytime soon.
  • starchaser
    starchaser Posts: 354
    edited April 2007
    I still have my R30's and R15's though I'm considering hooking up my neighbor with them. Their is less than 5 hours on them as I inherited a pair of 1C's. :)

The 1C's will always stay in the family as well as the little center that I received from Carlos.

Keep your groove on,

t
    "There's a lot of places driving up and down I-95 that smell like ****" F1Nut
  • Reagan
    Reagan Posts: 116
    edited April 2007
    Even though I have a set of 1.2TL's, my wife will not let me sell the 1A's.
    Speakers: Polk 1.2TL w/VR3 mods and Dreadnaught interconnects
    Amplification: ARC Reference 110 w/KT150s; Cary Audio SLP-05 w/Ultimate Upgrade
    Vinyl: VPI HW19 MK III (Heavily Modded); Origin Live Silver Tonearm; Hana ML Cart; Pete Riggle VTAF; VPI TNT Platter; SAMA; Iphono3
    Digital: Aurender N100H; Benchmark DAC1
  • Sumbrada77
    Sumbrada77 Posts: 37
    edited April 2007
    I have a pair of Original 10s with Peerless tweeters and tweeter fuse. Bought them new in 1978,79. To many years ago to push this old brain. The Polks replaced a kit set of Speakerlabs. Always loved how they sound with Jazz and can really be pushed. Blew 2 tweeters over the years (early on over pushing the source). I know better now. I bought the stands back then as they really helped sharpen the low end. Have them now connected to a new Yamaha RX-V659 A/V reciever. My old Kenwood KR-9600 needs a complete
    cleaning. They still sound sweet but a little less detail in the mids so its time
    to do the crossover upgrade.
    CARPE CEREVISI!!
    A Wise man, Keeps his Friends close, but keeps his
    Enemies Closer !!

Yamaha RX-V659 A/V receiver, Maganox CDP482 CD,
    Pansonic DVD F85, Marantz 6300 TT w/Apature KOCE
    Polk 10s (mains), M&K 3B (backs), Polk 5b Center
    HSU Research VTF-2 Mk1 subwoofer
    DIY twisted speaker cable
  • hassy500
    hassy500 Posts: 2
    edited April 2007
    Ahhh, first post and I coincidently JUST now got back from Atlanta after picking up my clean 10B v2 from storage.

Bought new for Christmas in 1987, they've been with me since 8th grade, through high school parties, college, and a ten year break. In great shape and sound wonderful, especially since I haven't had a stereo rig for so long. Guess I'll need stands with spikes very soon :D

Am currently listening to some Steely Dan and am even using the original 14 ga wire I had when they were new. Also powered with the same Onkyo TX-88 receiver. Holy Flashbacks Batman!

Should I try to explain how excited I am? Oh well, hello everyone!
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited April 2007
    hassy500 wrote: »
    Ahhh, first post and I coincidently JUST now got back from Atlanta after picking up my clean 10B v2 from storage.

Bought new for Christmas in 1987, they've been with me since 8th grade, through high school parties, college, and a ten year break. In great shape and sound wonderful, especially since I haven't had a stereo rig for so long. Guess I'll need stands with spikes very soon :D

Am currently listening to some Steely Dan and am even using the original 14 ga wire I had when they were new. Also powered with the same Onkyo TX-88 receiver. Holy Flashbacks Batman!

Should I try to explain how excited I am? Oh well, hello everyone!

LOL, Welcome to the club.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited April 2007
    LOL! Welcome Hassy!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,798
    edited April 2007
    Yep Monitor 4's at a pawn shop in '89 for $75.00. I had to pawn them at a different Pawn shop in August of 1990 to pay for books. I pawned them on a Wed. I walked back into my dorm room on that Friday thay were back on the shelf. My girlfriend at the time went back to the Pawn shop and got them back for me. I married her. Still have the speakers, the wife I lose on May 3rd.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.