Documenting: My SDA-1c upgrades from start to finish

Comments

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    joebass3 wrote: »
    2 things:

- Redesigned the terminal plates. Makes more sense to me with this mirrored, horizontally aligned layout. If anyone wants the 3D file, I'll share it.

c9ej9576qqyc.jpeg

(

Just curious why the horizontal layout makes more sense? Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

u4vg9pz4tmn4.jpg

It was the 80s man. we were all horizontal Have you not heard of the herbs consumed in the assembly area?
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited October 2022
    joebass3 wrote: »

u4vg9pz4tmn4.jpg

That Canare cable is darn good cable for the price. I highly recommend it over any other "cheap" cable. Have inc sells both gray and black exterior color and has made me great deals just for asking or matching other places. Depending on length they have sold it to me far as little as .89 a foot.
    It's hard to beat.

Signal cable uses it as well in their cable designs.
    plastic_avatar Posts:
    October 20
    The spikes that came with the Rti10 were plastic, but I misplaced them =(

Interesting I had no idea any speaker came with plastic spikes. Just seems to me it would be too easy to snap off the threaded part and a major pain to try and remove the broken bits from the insert.

• @joebass3 For me, reaching around to a left/right horizontally mirrored orientation works best. It also tickles my symmetry bone, which likes the ideas I got in ye olde [cough, cough] assembly hall. I'm pretty excited that I can just design and print changes I want. The possibilities for water pipe experimentation would've been epic =)

@pitdogg2 I know, right? They were essentially squat cones. Only cost $11 for 4 before they ran out =( Totally pointy, unlike the Klipsch rounded plastic spikes.

Camare cable =new to me. Was going to tackle that in a couple of weeks. I'll look it up!
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • pitdogg2
    edited October 2022
    looks like they just carry the black now.

https://store.haveinc.com/p-49380-canare-4s11-starquad-speaker-cable-14-awg-cut.aspx

It can be a pain to find on their site since they carry so many kinds of Canare and other cable, you can get lost.
    If you need say 100' call them and ask if they can offer you a better price than the 1.39 a foot. They are happy to work with you.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    edited October 2022
    I really like the Supra Rondo cable @VR3 recommended.
    It woke up a pair of old Dynaco A25's I reworked.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    xschop wrote: »
    I really like the Supra Rondo cable @VR3 recommended.
    It woke up a pair of old Dynaco A25's I reworked.

I like the Supra Rondo as well, good stuff..
  • @pitdogg2 So, wait... You use this cable for the SDA by using 2 wires per connection?

And can you strip the outer sleeves and use the inner wires as a lower cost (but better than stock) solution to replace the internal wiring?
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • pitdogg2
    edited October 2022
    @pitdogg2 So, wait... You use this cable for the SDA by using 2 wires per connection?

Yes that is correct. OR you can use all 4 wires and run two cables to each speaker like I did. But I will warn you your work is going to be finger numbing hard, the RCA's had better be able to accept a 8 gauge cable or it will not work.

And can you strip the outer sleeves and use the inner wires as a lower cost (but better than stock) solution to replace the internal wiring?

There is better chassis wire, BUT yes one could do that.... There's a reason Polk used different colored wire between Stereo, Dimensional and ground wires.

The individual wires are 14ga times two equals 11gauge wire times 4 equals 8 gauge

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited October 2022
    Sometimes having someone who is hoping for your project to be an utter failure is ironically, the best form of inspiration lol

It is why my tube amps exist...

affsnnjlm36a.jpg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    edited October 2022
    @pitdogg2 So, wait... You use this cable for the SDA by using 2 wires per connection?

Yes that is correct. OR you can use all 4 wires and run two cables to each speaker like I did. But I will warn you your work is going to be finger numbing hard, the banana plugs had better be able to accept a 8 gauge cable or it will not work.

There is better chassis wire, BUT yes one could do that.... There's a reason Polk used different colored wire between Stereo, Dimensional and ground wires.

The individual wires are 14ga times two equals 11gauge wire times 4 equals 8 gauge

Fixed RCA's for banana plugs

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    looks like they just carry the black now.

https://store.haveinc.com/p-49380-canare-4s11-starquad-speaker-cable-14-awg-cut.aspx

It can be a pain to find on their site since they carry so many kinds of Canare and other cable, you can get lost.
    If you need say 100' call them and ask if they can offer you a better price than the 1.39 a foot. They are happy to work with you.

Try : https://www.redco.com/Canare-4S11.html
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 687
    edited October 2022
    Post edited by plastic_avatar on
  • p_a,

Hard to find a high current high watt amp amp at that price point.
    Some of the older Perreaux amps fit the bill but from memory it would be in 1k & higher range. Plus having to go through them because of age adds to the cost.
    The old Perreaux 2250’s, not positive on that model number, are really nice once gone through.
  • @skipshot12 Well, damn. Going from high-end consumer to low-end audiofancy is a big price jump. I'll start keeping my eye out next Spring. Thank you for the info.

I believe the road-worthy Yamaha amps I have (and the other series with VU meters) are as good as the equivalent home versions (with those pretty red meters) from the early to mid-eighties. There are design differences, but I honestly think the sound quality debate between the lines is overblown. I'm grateful to have something that will drive the 1C competently until I have the funds to upgrade again to see what experience audiofancy gear can give me.

@pitdogg2 Used the images from your links to find a similar plug that'll get here sooner than the December delivery. Thank you for the help! I'm waaaay more excited about plugs than is probably normal...

On foaming the inside of the mw baskets:

Absolutely a pain in the keister to remove, for me.

I am 100% o.k. with the risks, but fair warning to people without steady hands! Only press to stick when you're sure!

@Gardenstater had some ideas for a less... sticky... variation. Interested to see where that goes.

This week's progress:

I'll have all 8 mw matted and foamed in the next few days. Then plugged. This week, all the drivers will be ready for reinstall! Woot!

That^ includes my fine looking Wuhans ;)

And I'll install the custom terminal plates.

After those^ are done:

- Clean cabinets.

- I'm going to go ahead and assemble the crossovers with the stock coils. I'll take them out and replace them when my order comes in around Christmas. That way, I can at least have 1 before/after comparison to share ;) As it is, my first comparison will just be between my Monitor 12 and the 1C. I think that's a great comparison, btw. Wuhans vs. the 198. SDA vs. normal stereo w/ speakers of similar design. Differences in bass. It'll be a hoot =)

- Put together the SDA cable and new banana-plugged speaker wires.

- Install Hurricane nuts.

- Re-roll and re-place polyfill mats to make sure they're snug and where they should be.

- New gaskets for the drivers. Armacell on mw and passive, poster putty for the Wuhans.

- Install xschop's heavy duty rings when drivers are mounted.

- Test with and without VR3's sweet felt diffraction pads. I've got velcro to stick them on.

Mods/things after the new year:

- Blackhole5 or similar behind mw. a good comparison awaits on that.

- Possible dowel bracing from face to rear around passive. Another good comparison opportunity.

- Possible density matting in passive chamber like my Monitor 12. Will it give me the same improvements for the 1C.

- Custom stands and spikes.

Now, what did I forget?

I mean, besides the DK Dreadnaught...
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 989
    edited October 2022
    p_a,

That list will keep you busy for a bit :o

How much BH5 are you in need of?
    I have some left over after completing my mechanical upgrades to my SDA SRS'.

I went with 4"x4" pieces of BH5 behind the MW drivers and am happy with the results.
    I'll not be needing what I have left over.

PM me if you're interested for the price of shipping....
    Post edited by skipshot12 on
  • xschop
    I vote bracing front to back in addition to the MW rings if you can and at 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock near the PR.
  • I have 2.5 mw to go!

Had to parent. Delayed. No biggie. I love being a Dad. Best job in the world.

Bracing = yeah... that's a cheap, easy, quick mod. I'll probably just do it over Christmas.

BH5 = msg'd.
  • @skipshot12 BH5 has arrived! Thank you =)

wvo8dwsmvy90.gif

Revised plans

v1

done:

- xschop's phase plugs
    - aluminized rubber on basket exteriors
    - Gardenstater's Armacell basket interiors
    - build VSAT88 Wuhans
    - build terminal plates

to-do (next 2 weeks):

- SDA cable
    - crossovers, minus new coils
    - driver seals
    - Hurricane nuts/bolts
    - xschop's backer rings
    - VR3's anti-diffraction pads
    - CLEAN THE 1C AND MAKE 'EM PRETTY!!!

v2

tests/installs to-do (Thanksgiving to Christmas):

- BlackHole5 behind mids
    - front-to-back dowel reinforcement of front face.
    - aluminized rubber on passive chamber walls
    - build adjustable stands
    - install spikes

v3

to-do (as soon as they arrive, likely after Chrustmas):

- coils

v4

wishlist:

DarqueKnight's Dreadnaught
    replace wiring

This is totally going to suck if I end up gating the SDA effect ;)

5g38ckg9r52s.jpeg
    1cuycv39a1m6.jpeg
    j5jd6vt1igff.jpeg
    sob0xaci5e6i.jpeg

• Sa-Weet…. 👍
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 989
    edited October 2022
    ^ What do you mean by the sda,
    Are you going to abandoning that?
  • xschop
    Coming along nicely.
    Are you doing stainless fasteners?
  • @skipshot12 I've got to make the replacement SDA cable. I have the original. I'd like to compare the two once I get it up and running. Not abandoning.

@xschop Stainless fasteners? Sweet Mother Mary, what did I miss on my parts list? Fasteners for what?
  • xschop
    Hurricane nuts and MW rings are 8-32
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    You can get fasteners for hurricane nuts at the hardware store, I used black Allen bolts, you probably might even be able to find stainless.
  • pitdogg2
    Stainless is available.
  • @skipshot12 I've got to make the replacement SDA cable. I have the original. I'd like to compare the two once I get it up and running. Not abandoning.

@xschop Stainless fasteners? Sweet Mother Mary, what did I miss on my parts list? Fasteners for what?

👍
  • Took a break for a couple of days.

That meant too much time to wonder about tweaks.

Sooooo... Spring has a new mod on the horizon: Daytons for the top tweeters.

Seems there are 3 upgrade paths (in order of expense)::

- Wuhans
    - Daytons
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/168239/a-real-sl-2000-hack-replace-stock-burnt-voice-coils-with-silk-diaphragm-dome/p17
    - 194s

Reverse that, and you've got the upgrades in order of time involved and complexity.

I want something with a little sparkle at the top than I think the Wuhan gives me. Come Spring, I'm putting a swap to Daytons in the upper tweeter slots. We'll see how they sound. xschop has put them in as a drop-in replacement for the 2000, if I understood correctly.

Thought keeping the Wuhan for the handoff from the mw makes sense. I'll see when the time comes.

Another thought:

Maybe we should have a specific Vintage Mods thread? The diy one doesn't quite fit.

Just thinking that it could be a drama-free zone (dfz) for mods. All the stickies we want up top (some from here, but we also put in the VSAT88 tweeter mod thread, basket foaming, etc.). Might make the playground more enjoyable between the Montagues and Capulets.
  • Fir a forum section title, putting Polk in the name would help.

Vintage Polk mods/upgrades

or something like that.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    You want sparkle, use the SL2000.

A separate section for ruining speakers is NOT going to happen.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk