• skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,008
    Options
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    skipshot12 wrote: »
    Cool…

Haaa haa haa! Some people are so Gullible!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    I have decided to answer all previous interjections with homemade memes, because I care that much.

And, well, because if something is a joke, it should be clear.

And name calling ain't a nice way to clarify intent. Especially someplace where we should be supportive.

orevmrw6loef.jpeg
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I think a single layer of plastic cling-wrap is thicker skinned than you are. :p;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    edited January 2023
    Options
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    e5o6vv4xftgq.jpeg
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Me...

7irq7i8u39ha.jpg

I could do this all day... or you could just smile and put on your happy face. :D
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    e5o6vv4xftgq.jpeg

Dude. You need a haircut 😜
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »

x7d95ho4y1xu.jpeg

(If anyone here gets this one, I'm give them kudos.)
  • nooshinjohn
    Options

• plastic_avatar
    Options
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »

x7d95ho4y1xu.jpeg

(If anyone here gets this one, I'm give them kudos.)

RHCP bandmember?

Some snowflakes are jealous that you can modify at will and probably pissed that you don't subscribe to a bandwagon mentality. ...That's Kudos in my book.😉
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    Wrong yet again, Rob.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Options
    Hey Jesse, long time no post. Did you quit the band?
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,929
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Do not use washers of any kind.

Sometimes washers are needed....

2w7hxxspwf9m.jpg

Should have used Phase Plug Wheel Nuts.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,280
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Do not use washers of any kind.

Sometimes washers are needed....

2w7hxxspwf9m.jpg

Should have used Phase Plug Wheel Nuts and foam.

Fixed it for you.
  • xschop
    Options
    The cheap thin-steel backing rings proved faulty.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    [squints]

[reads responses]

[glances over at the pool and grabs the chlorine]
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    3ixgn7zcjbk3.jpeg
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    [lifeguard whistle blows]

And now, back to our irregularly scheduled program.

I took off the washers, reinstalled everything, got the semi-rings put on, and installed my terminal plate.

I'll do the same for the right speaker (gotta make gaskets, too), then I'll tackle crossovers.

jwpk18nlkp3s.jpeg
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Your 2.3's are pin/blade. For the socket connect the blue wire to 1+ and the white wire to 1-. For your interconnect cable one wire gets connected to the 1+ and the other wire to 1- at both ends.

Was trying to find the instructions for which wire to which bit on my SDA cable build for this week. I'll be finishing up getting everything installed and ready for the crossover teardowns/build-ups this weekend.

Remembered I had this bookmarked from another thread.

I was worried I needed to do something more than match the +/- on the plugs and receptacles, but they match right up.

Realized after finding F1's entry again, I was overthinking it =)

I used hot glue to fill the gaps on my terminal plate's backside , and a bead under the lip to make sure it was sealed and tight.
  • plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 690
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Done with the cable while I wait for the right side's mw to dry! Re-gluing all mah magnets as I go, to be sure all is good.

*Not gluing my tweeter magnets until I redo the plates. I'm going to recenter all 4 at that time. They were all sloppy in fit and finish as a batch. I just want to make the back ends more even when I go for another round of fixes.

kfwensgtm8ch.jpeg

Made my gaskets and installed the tweets. Drilled out the Hurricane holes a little wider than on the left cabinet.

Moving on to BH5.

a5dnbjqzgzya.jpeg
    sdhckmcj987l.jpeg
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Looking good.
    Your attention to details will pay dividends...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    I used hot glue to fill the gaps on my terminal plate's backside , and a bead under the lip to make sure it was sealed and tight.

That will make it hard to remove should you need to. Why would you glue it down? That gasket material would have served the same purpose and been much easier to remove the binding cup.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    That gasket material would have served the same purpose and been much easier to remove the binding cup.

You are 100% correct.

It was a whim since I had my glue gun out.

Luckily, this stuff will pop off (fairly) easily.

Honestly, I'm making a gasket for cabinet #2 today. I'll probably pop the plate off of speaker #1 and do the same when rewire time hits this year.

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,929
    Options
    [/quote]I used hot glue to fill the gaps on my terminal plate's backside , and a bead under the lip to make sure it was sealed and tight.[/quote]

Speaks volumes, The thread needs to be changed to Documenting What not to do to SDA 1C’s,

sfoaebp96wip.gif

• plastic_avatar
    Options
    Let me explain why I went with the whim, @Toolfan66:

I was worried the gasket material I used wouldn't seal good enough.

Why?

The contact area on the underside of the lip of my custom plates is uneven (because of the support style I used on the print). So, glue gun nearby, needed to throw some on posts and around the Neutrik connector for good measure, so why not see how well it works in lieu of a cut gasket?

Hot glue works great!

But, I sanded the area more on the right side plate and realized the foam would work just fine.

Does it hurt anything? No.

Is it fine either way? Yes.

If you'd like to join in the fun with all the people who've helped me try things and learn, please do.

There's no shame on my side for any mistake I make.

From post #1:
    I will post updates over the next few months about my progress. I hope anyone with suggestions speaks up! I wouldn't be where I am in my project today if it wasn't for the help of a group of brainiacs this week.

I hope this thread helps at least one person find their way to some new info they didn't know about, introduces them to the work of some of the great people here, and (selfishly) helps me do the best job I can on what I hope will be a pair of amazing speakers =)

Wow, come next month it'll be a year since I started on these things!

I've made some fine friends and meaningful acquaintances here over the past... wow, again... 14 years next month is when I decided to make an account.

(Stealing that gif to use another time. Nice one.)
  • xschop
    Options
    If that is PVA foam, it is very forgiving and fills in some of the largest and un-even voids(warped Polk plastic RDO plates and pitted fiberboard cut-outs). I like it so well, that I now glue it directly to the MW basket flanges as its makes installation with fasteners a breeze, does not permanently stick to mating surfaces, and makes an air-tight seal.
  • plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 690
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @xschop: Yep! PVA. I had to take out 2 drivers on the left cab last night (realized I put them in out of phase). Was surprised how well the gasket deformed and filled in spaces. Really great stuff.

Now I've misplaced my little white SDA wire from the terminal to the Neutrik receptacle. Argh.

I need to go out and pick up some more of that aluminized pipe wrap. I'm out, and need it for the 5B and... pipes!