Documenting: My SDA-1c upgrades from start to finish

Options

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    This thread has taken what not to do to an entirely new level.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 690
    edited October 2022
    Options
    They're thirsty. It soaks up soon after sheen.It's all good.

It ends up like looking almost exactly like the doping layer on the 198.

But yes, I go back over to soak up any excess after it soaks in.

We shall see how it goes!
    Post edited by plastic_avatar on
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • plastic_avatar
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Not 100% soaked in yet, I think, but couldn't wait.

Much better than the 2000. Much smoother than the stock Wuhan dome.

Here's an example. Kid's voices sound appropriately shrill and guitar has nice tone. Gotta start recording these with my good mic.

https://youtu.be/lTqD1-teqME
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • plastic_avatar
    edited October 2022
    Options
    @invalid

Yeah, a lot of mass, if you let them drink up a ton like mine did.

I was worried it would ruin the sound... stifle those high pitched high notes, ruin its transient abilities, etc.

Not to my ears, and no more than any other doped tweeter (194, 198, etc.).

Unscientific, but that's what I have- just ears.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    Options
    Bass sounds pretty slamming on the 5B video. Was that just the 5B playing, or both that and the Monitor 12?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • plastic_avatar
    edited October 2022
    Options
    The right-side 12 is about 7 feet away to the right.

I was surprised at the sound coming out of the 5B. So much so, I moved to unplug the right channel, stopped in front of the 12 to take in its presence, then moved back in front of the 5B to listen again while I was recording. Hence the chopped off vid.

170 solid watts into 2 channels at 8 ohms really makes that little speaker come alive when you crank it. I really want another p2250 amp so I can get the full 500 it's capable of.

I was about 4 feet in front of the 5B, mic at mw height, hands cupped towards speaker.

I stopped recording, moved back to center and played it again. The 12, with its new crossover bits and 198, definitely had a sparkle my Wuhan w/ an original crossover lacked- a little crackle and pop that was extra and pleasing.

Odd thing was, if I stood in front of the 12, I could very distinctly hear the tweeter in the 5B. If I stood in front if the 5B, I could hear a presence of sound on the right side of the room that made the little guy sound smaller.

I'll do a 5B x2 example before Christmas, I hope.

I'm excited to hear the tweeters in the 1C.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Just use a dry Q-tip to soak up the excess.

That's what she said...🤣
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Oof.

and

Ewwww.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    It only takes one maybe two light coats. Should not add any more mass than what an RD0 has added.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • plastic_avatar
    edited October 2022
    Options
    @Gardenstater

Here's it alone.

I included more of the song, so the sound of the kid's voices would show more..

- It would be fuller if I had another 5B plugged in on the right, instead of it pushing 1 channel solo.

- The guitar solo sounds like I expect.

- Sound is darker than the 12. 3 fewer mw, an original crossover, and no cabinet/basket mods = yeah. And it can't compete with the presence of a 12 and up on the ladder.

- The pudding lyric is only on the right side. Kinda wigged me out not hearing it on this recording. Thought I was lising my mind.

https://youtu.be/MlDP_dvPr_I

But the key but here is:

Pros of my Wuhan experience so far:

- The tweeter works.
    - The doping smoothes out the sound, it's not as brittle.
    - The tweeter sounds better than a 2000.
    - The tweeter mod for 4 speakers is about 25-30% the cost of getting the 194.
    - Satisfaction that I did the basics, and way more than required, on my own.
    - Gratitude for the friends that jumped in to help and/or advise.
    - All the new things I learned.

Negatives of my Wuhan experience, to date:

- TIME!
    - Fear of trying it.
    - Equipment to replace or modify tweeter plates.
    - Not knowing, yet, how it will sound in the 1C.
    - Not knowing how it sounds compared to a 194.
  • Gardenstater
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Not bad at all considering. It sounded like it wasn't in mono.

So there is no:
    Dynamat/Noico/other on the exterior of baskets for MW and PR
    Armacell or other on the interior of basket for MW
    Semi - rings made of steel for top 2 and bottom 2 screws of MW
    BH5 square or other behind the MW
    Upgrade to XO components
    Upgrade to internal wiring and Binding Posts
    Anti Diffraction Wool for tweeter
    8 Hole Mod for better coupling of MW to baffle

This little guy will make a perfect test bed to add each of those one at a time. Good times.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,008
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Well, let's see if this works.
    Loaded a few videos to youtube to see if I can post...

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Et2U_D17ryI
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    @skipshot12

Wow. Huge difference.

And your fitting and painting work is awesome.

Yours is all new Range Rover sleek, and mine is all prototype Jeep [laughs].
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Ok, let's see if we can add some of the damping videos...

https://youtube.com/shorts/8DHfbtiyg7w?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/aCkwymRYR_0?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/q1v7wH4dLYc?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/jjNi59DoeQY?feature=share

Still not doing something right. Have to go to youtube to watch.
    There's a way to get the videos here but, I'm not that good yet.
  • skipshot12
    Options
    @skipshot12

Wow. Huge difference.

And your fitting and painting work is awesome.

Yours is all new Range Rover sleek, and mine is all prototype Jeep [laughs].

Bahahaaaa....
    I'm anal to a fault!
    Even raking leaves yesterday I was going back to pick up two leaves I didn't get into the garbage bag. The wife says you don't need to pick up every last one! My answer, yes I do. Dang it... now I can sleep tonight.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    @Gardenstater

The tweeter does have my diffuser 'dome' with the ring of heavy wool and then the soft lamb's wool in the middle. That and the custom plate are non-standard.

I didn't use the 'backer' gasket between the dome base and metal plate. I used glue for an air-tight seal.

On the ones for the 1C, I used backers. I need to compare to the 5B one to decide if i'll rip 'em out or let them stay.

And the mw has my printed version of xschop's phase plug.

Everything is as you say.

Definite plans for the 5B while I wait to order and receive 1C coils (Jeezus, by Christmas, I hope):

- phase plugs
    - rings
    - dyna/foam the baskets
    - Hurricane nuts/bolts
    - foam gaskets
    - terminals
    - XO

Will likely do, but maybe after I finished up the 1C:

- BH5
    - internal front face brace
    - wiring
    - fix the finish on the cabinets in a few places
    - new grille cloth
    - spikes
    - external wool tweeter diffraction killer
    - stands

These will look awesome with that Realistic stereo, if I ever have room, but... honestly... I think I'm a **** to big watts now. I can't believe the difference between the dedicated amp and my receivers/integrateds.

So, now this is a combo:

Documenting the upgrades to my 1C and 5B, from start to finish.

or

How I learned to stop worrying and love the mod.
  • Gardenstater
    edited October 2022
    Options
    lol @ How I Iearned to stop worrying and love the mod. I think this earns you the nickname of Dr. Strangemod ha ha

I have been following the tweeter mods with interest. I just didn't comment because I actually didn't know what the effect would be of the diffuser and didn't want to pretend I did. That's what makes this fun. Now. We need to print up a back plate of 1/4 wavelength absorbers/maze like the KEF Metamaterial and bore a hole through pole piece to it. Might be violating a patent I don't know lol.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    OMG

Doctor Strangemod

I love it.

And no idea if the little diffuser dome I made is worth the effort, but the tweeter sounds pretty good to me.

Probably totally inadequate compared to chop's drilled pole piece+lamb's wool mod.

That's a mod I want to hear.

• skipshot12
    Options
    I’ll second Dr. Strangemod….
    Made me raff.

George, you have a nickname that you’ll have to splain to friends outside of this forum.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Surprise equipment upgrade!

yf5ezoi072v2.jpeg

Underneath that Aldi bag is a Yamaha p2250.

It will run mono with my existing p2250.

WATTS!!!! I haz much watts!!!!

I'm excited.

$100 + $60 in gas + 6 hours of my time + beautiful Fall colors and a surprisingly pleasant drive through Ohio = TOTALLY WORTH IT! Woot!

Bring it, mah Frankenpolks! BRINNNNNG IT!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,586
    Options
    How do you plan on using those 2 amps with your SDA 1C's?
  • F1nut
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    How do you plan on using those 2 amps with your SDA 1C's?

Shhhh....don't ruin the well deserved surprise.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Options
    He is going to use them for his Monitor 12s
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    He is going to use them for his Monitor 12s

Must have missed that. Carry on.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Oh well...thought that would help put those poor ruined speakers out of their misery

President of Club Polk

• plastic_avatar
    edited October 2022
    Options
    For now, I was looking forward to pumping all that into my 12's. Sorry. Was very excited about it =)

And I like having a backup since I'm selling my AX-596.

But since we're talking about it, couldn't I build a Dread if I wanted to try the 1C in that configuration?

Orrrrr, in a strange twist, could I mod the 1C to bi-amp? And how would you split that up correctly..

Annnd, also, at the very least, in a year or so, if I want, I can sell these for more than the $460 invested (that includes gas to go get them). Then I get something new =)
  • plastic_avatar
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Well, new future daydreams of a Dread'ed 1C running the p2250 in bridged mode are dashed. I have to play with the bridged amps on the Monitor 12 only.
    6 ohms. Boo. Needs to be 8 for these amps.
    So, I'll still get to play with more power on the Monitors, but I'll have to sell the pair to upgrade if I want more than what the p2250 gives me on the SDA. And that's cool, because if I do that I can look at amps in the $800 range.
    Or the hacksaw to bi-amp is something that might be fun ;)
  • F1nut
    Options
    FYI, while bridging an amp results in higher power it also results in a higher noise floor. Best to avoid bridging.

President of Club Polk

• plastic_avatar
    Options
    =(
    @F1nut
    I thought seeing the difference in impact/dynamism would be worth the test. My 1st p2250 is dead quiet in the silences.
    I was so impressed going up from my previous integrated, I figured the extra oomph would be noticeable.
    You think the added noise will be enough of a negative to cancel out the other potential gains?
    Looking ahead, what did/do you use to drive SDAs?

New sub-topic to my main thread is now:
    'For my 1C: What amps around $800 would be worth upgrading to? Amps that would do more than the p2250?'

Then, after the new year, I can decide whether to keep what I have or upgrade =)

I am totally going to hook the Monitors up to the bridged amps to see what it does, though. I have to.!It's the closest I've ever gotten to power that is out of my price league =) And otherwise, the 2nd amp will just sit there until the 1C are finished...
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Trust when I state it's not all about watts. You need to think more in the current delivery. My current amp just KILLED my last two that delivered more "watts" yet couldn't double down when the ohms went down.