Documenting: My SDA-1c upgrades from start to finish

Options

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    edited October 2022
    Options
    He said sparkle, not...ear ache.

The DFZ, not for whiners....would be a catchy name.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    Options
    I think the DMS would be more appropriate.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Options
    N.ot
    S.afe
    F.or
    W.hiners
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    DMS?

The ruining part... has that happened?

Mods go from matting baskets to the TL, from Dreads to Wuhans, and all kinds of things in-between.

Why wouldn't it make sense to have a dedicated forum topic for it? It would help a lot of people to have the data in one location.

It could have everything someone who wants to do work on their speakers could go for dedicated stickies for each particular mod/upgrade.

I know you think I'm ruining my speakers, but we have different metrics. That's o.k., purists and hot rodders can live in peace =)

There could even be a big warning/disclaimer as sticky #1, listing all the mods and potential dangers. That would be really helpful, and answer a lot of questions before anyone gets started.

I used to do technical writing and instruction. I can help make it work =)
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • F1nut
    Options
    I've been modding speakers and audio gear long before most here, so far from a purist. As for vintage Polk speakers there are tried and true mods and then there are ones that defy logic.

We already have a DYI/tweak section. Polk is not going to create yet another one.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• plastic_avatar
    Options
    You run the forums for Polk?

I didn't realize that.

Is that part of being President, or is that separate?

Is there a charter that explains all that? I'd love to read it- like how often are elections, how long do positions last, how do you campaign/vote, are there other club positions I don't know about?

Other clubs/committees with chairs or presidents I've been involved in have other positions like secretary, treasurer, liaison, master of records- or whatever equivalents there are. Who reports to whom? What's the process for requesting changes? Yada, yada, yada.

I helped created an open source employee recognition program with a really robust committee system and ratified charter covering all the deets, so this stuff fascinates me =)

Point me in a direction and I'll read up on all of it!

Sorry, this kind of documentation/org-charting/decision-making-structure is my jam.

[charter nerd excitement]
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • xschop
    Options
    Presidents are only reflections of their teleprompters.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Shakes head...walks away.

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Options
    I've been looking forward to your wuhan listening impressions in the 1C's.
    A few years ago I got to hear a set of 1Cs with 194s and remember not being impressed.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Now that I've read more about damping the outer basket, I think I might go the putty route on the 5B.

I might even do this for the backside of my tweeter plates on the 1C.

I wonder... if you used a material like these guys experiment with... would pressing wool/felt on the the interior of the basket be easier than Aramacell? Plus extra density/damping of basket vibration as a bonus..

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=136169.0

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Sounds very messy for the interior but I wouldn't totally rule it out and would have to get some of the stuff in my hands to comment any further on that. I'd personally not be inclined to try it, but maybe you might hit on something :)

PS: I downloaded all of Van Alstine's Audio Basics Newsletters a week or so ago and it looks very interesting for all sorts of information.

https://avahifi.com/pages/audio-basics-newsletters
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 687
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Ohhhhhh, neato! Reading material!

On Mortite (or other putties with low viscosity (so they don't flow too much over time due to gravity)), I think it would be easier to remove than some of these adhesives on metal ;)
  • xschop
    Options
    I think that an improvement can be made in adding a puuty or semi-hard polyurethane in between the base plate and adjacent frame body of the MWs.

You could easily do a side-by-side comparison of one treated and non-treated by holding the phase plugs while running them and see if the vibes are lessened on the treated driver. JAT
  • Gardenstater
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I have quite a bit of non-hardening black modeling clay. I believe it is a synthetic and not organic. Might be very similar to what they are talking about in that thread at the other site. It sticks very well to surfaces when smeared into place. I don't feel that wool felt would stick to it very well however.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    I tried to find that stuff for another project! Could not for the life of me figure out what to call it.

Good idea!
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Printing the second copy if the second version of my terminal plate.

I know it matters little to anyone but me, but the layout is how I want it (L/R speakers are mirrored, and the plugs+receptacles are almost on the same plane when plugged in).

I may put the smooth coating on these (I still need to get some of the support material off, too), but I don't know yet. Going to try it on the tweeter plates soon. XTC-3D - High Performance 3D Print Coating - 24 Ounce Unit https://a.co/d/8OOa8LE

4zktuo8wld43.jpeg
    10ajpp89ycfk.jpeg
    kpgfy8zfr1uw.jpeg

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Options
    That orientation for that speakon plug is legit. I use the 90* plug myself and the original layout is a bear to get it in there with my Cardas binding post. What makes even more of a PITA is my 2.3tl's have 4 binding posts. :/

• plastic_avatar
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    That orientation for that speakon plug is legit. I use the 90* plug myself... What makes even more of a PITA is my 2.3tl's have 4 binding posts. :/

Tell you what, you tell me how you want it laid out, and if the dimension of the cup are the same, I'll mod my model and send you the file.

It would look good printed in resin. And I might make the plate portion thicker on new versions.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    And keep in mind, I printed this at Normal quality (not fine or very fine), and filament always has that smooth but reflective texture if the filament is glossy and not matte.

Resin would be super smooth and look like more like molded plastic. But I dunna have a resin printer. Ima fraid of the fumes...
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    That orientation for that speakon plug is legit. I use the 90* plug myself... What makes even more of a PITA is my 2.3tl's have 4 binding posts. :/

Tell you what, you tell me how you want it laid out, and if the dimension of the cup are the same, I'll mod my model and send you the file.

It would look good printed in resin. And I might make the plate portion thicker on new versions.

I've got no access to a printer to do that. I do sincerely appreciate the gesture ;)
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    I will print them for you, if you'd like to see how they'd do!

It takes a day to print the pair, and I'd have to take time to mod the model, so it might take a couple of weeks for me to get around to getting it done.

Keep the offer in your pocket. If you ever decide to cash in the freebie, msg me.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    I will do that!
    Thanks again, I'll let you know if and when I decide. Once again that is a very generous offer.

I'll put it out there that a prior member made my CNC aluminum powder coated set I have now. It's going to be hard to switch to something else just for the convenience of the interconnect cable. I do have a set of straight speakon connectors I can just switch over and problem solved.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Ohhhhhh... you've got bling-style terminal plates!

Damn. You guys and your fancy bedazzled Polks!

I tell ya, looking at the mids with the aluminum phase plugs, I wish I could print metal-infused filament without ruining my machines. I'd print my tweeter plates to match.

The plugs look so good. Would look crazy great on a pair with double the drivers of the 1C.
    I will have the big uns one day...
  • pitdogg2
    edited November 2022
    Options
    8gdjx4taddq3.jpg

Here's a back side view after I milled out to fit my short Cardas binding post. The channels are so the gold plated ring terminals and wire would fit without binding or bending. I didn't want to solder directly to the binding post in case I wanted to switch binding posts one day. They are flat on the front, very beefy😉
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Holy cow.

That is a beefy plate.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Going to visit the 'rents for a few days. Might take the SDA cable stuff and crossovers to fill downtime.

I'd like to get these guys working by New Year's

Meanwhile, for anyone who thinks my project is Hell-on-Earth and an affront to Polk, I give you:

75hcdor6q6rr.png

Yeah. Reverse engineered looks like a Polk terminal plate screwed into the left side.

Merry Christmahanukkwanzaakah to all.
  • xschop
    Options
    Wonder if he used CRS+ crossovers.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    It does bring up a question in my head

'How hard is it to take the design of an SDA crossover and adapt it to different drivers?'

The 198 mod on some Polks just requires, what? 1 extra part?

But what if you break the SDA crossover into its discrete sections, and created different crossover bits for different drivers and put them together in the same way that Polk arranges them. Couldn't you build, say, a 1C using totally different drivers?

I know, probably more complicated than that, but... it'd be really neat to have some modern drivers in that arrangement.

And yes, I'm just musing wildly.
  • F1nut
    Options
    There's not a damn thing wrong with the doped paper drivers. Doped paper drivers are used today in some very high end expensive speakers because they perform the best.

President of Club Polk