Documenting: My SDA-1c upgrades from start to finish

Options

Comments

• plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 690
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I'm impressed with the old drivers all the time. They really hold up well. I'm really excited to see how the 1C versions perform compared to the 12, 5, and 5jr (my only vintage Polk reference points).

I prefer their sound to the Rti-style/era units (bookshelf or tower).

But I have an Eton Hexacone driver, for example, that I like... tonally, I guess, better in the upper mid than the old Polks. And there are some newer wood, exotic pulp, bamboo, paper, etc., drivers that just sound better.

It's all just wild musing as I work on my projects.

If I had the funds, I'd pay someone to try and work it out (c'mon lottery!), just for fun.

If I didn't think up things, my world would be very... grey.
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    Options
    First time seeing this thread so quite interesting to see the musings over the past 10 months. I fully modded a pair of 1C studios a few years back. I did one upgrade at a time so that I could appreciate the improvement of each mod before moving on to the next one. Modded 1C studios paired with the right gear sound amazing.

My advice is keep it simple and within the boundaries of the lessons learned from seasoned forum members. Replace the tweeters, redo the XOs to spec and start enjoying the music. Dynamat on the driver baskets is also a great thing to do but not the priority IMO. Beyond that, my opinion is that you quickly bump into a law of diminishing returns on your money.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    dpowell wrote: »
    First time seeing this thread so...

Well this was a lot to slog through, right?

[laughs]

Because of time and resources and my own want list, I absolutely went shotgun approach.

I wouldn't recommend anyone else jump blindly into the pool like this, unless they're in it for fun and experience, with no worry to fixing mistakes.

Everything has been great, thus-far. I've learned a lot.

The Holidays put the brakes on everything, but I really only have left to do before a listen:

- new SDA cable assembled
    - crossovers re-done
    - Hurricane holes drilled
    - BH5 installed
    - new gaskets made
    - final assembly

Can I button it up in 2 weeks? Stay tuned ;)

The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    ^ Hear ya on the holidays putting our audio on hold for a stint.

Can't wait to read your findings after your mods...
  • dpowell
    Options
    At the end of the day, it's about enjoying the music. Make sure you give the new XOs +/- 200 hours of burn in before you decide if it was all worth it.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    skipshot12 wrote: »
    ^ Hear ya on the holidays putting our audio on hold for a stint.
    Seriously! Man, lemme tell ya. I thought I'd have 4 days of speaker fun.

Ended up being 2 hours of speaker fun and 1 hour of 3D printer repair. But I'm getting gaskets ready and Hurricanes drilled, so that's good. Just doing the left speaker first (going to assemble everything but the crossover, then do the same for the right one... will save crossovers for last).

iizafgwho5l7.jpeg
    Tweeter gasket tweaking.

f9hrsrah6gut.jpeg
    Midwoofer gasket blanks.

nploqwmtms2k.jpeg
    My Exacto knife needs the blade sharpened now.

p7b5eu8natvb.jpeg
    Biggest was easiest.

fe105pccovrd.jpeg
    Hey. For the BH5...
    I haven't seen pictures of the install. It sounds like people just tighten the rolls of poly and put them between the BH5 and mids. Know if anyone moved the poly to the tweeter area and left the BH5 to do the absorption on its own?

9pizke2uaji5.jpeg
    So much mess.
    dpowell wrote: »
    At the end of the day, it's about enjoying the music.
    Agreed!

Nothing I do is out of disrespect here. I'm enjoying my Polk experience. I enjoy learning. I'm giddy waiting to see what these things sound like. It's a gamble in places. But it's a fun ride.
    Make sure you give the new XOs +/- 200 hours of burn in before you decide if it was all worth it.
    Will do. Any tips on burn-in? Someone suggested pink/white noise overnight for 4 weeks at low volume.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    Know if anyone moved the poly to the tweeter area and left the BH5 to do the absorption on its own?

Hell no!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Those "blanks" in your photos are the templates for cutting the foam material to be used ultimately for the actual gasket? Did you make those on your 3D printer?

Are you going to use any of Rob's semi-rings anywhere or hurricane nuts everywhere?

Looking forward to the listening impressions. Enjoy!

PS: I've tried sharpening Xacto knife blades by hand and I never got a result that compared to a brand new fresh one from the manufacturer.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Know if anyone moved the poly to the tweeter area...

Hell no!

Good to know =)

Wanted to make sure I set that part up per norm.

• plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 690
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Those "blanks" in your photos are the templates for cutting the foam material to be used ultimately for the actual gasket? Did you make those on your 3D printer?
    Tried on the printer. Had print problems. Cut one from foam based on 3D one. Used it =\
    Are you going to use any of Rob's semi-rings anywhere or hurricane nuts everywhere?
    Yes and everywhere!
    Looking forward to the listening impressions. Enjoy!
    Me, too, and hopefully ;)
    PS: I've tried sharpening Xacto knife blades by hand and I never got a result that compared to a brand new fresh one from the manufacturer.
    Likely my experience, but Ima try my ceramic homer and see if I can squeeze a little more from it. Will report.

• skipshot12
    Options
    On moving the poly with BH5 installed...

After installing the BH5 I reinstalled the Poly in it's original location.
    Just made sure to fluff it up a bit to cover the cavity as best I could.
    I wouldn't see any reason do anything different...
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    Besides the chimera-tweets' sound impressions, I'm looking forward to what front-to-back bracing has on the bass/mid-bass.

Looking good too.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Had to quit for the evening.

Back said 'Stop leaning over, troll. Sit.'

So I did, after doubling over at the table while my youngest finished her dinner.

I mounted 2 mw to try the metal braces out. Super tough to maneuver my 6'4 frame to squeeze my arms in to try and hold stuff while I shake [laughs].

It's like Disability Twister!

All the fun, none of the precision!

I'll mount all 4 mw w/ metal braces tomorrow. Might hold off on front-to-back until I get everything else done.

I'll mount the new terminal plate, too.

63utbw1buw65.jpeg
    I'll print better plates later, but these are really nice. I like them as is, but having some that look factory would be nice.

36v9eqibvdkg.jpeg
    Reglued the magnets.

uz25nldw8col.jpeg
    BH5!

n0l7v5vsa9v4.jpeg
    Tidy and symmetrical.
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Looking very nice p_a.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the difference your mods provide.
  • dpowell
    Options
    BH5 is the final mod I need to do on my SDAs. Some day I'll get to it. Looking good!

• plastic_avatar
    Options
    Note to self:

Semi rings are a pain in the arse to install for me. Holy forking shirtballs, @xschop!

Took me 2 hours to do the first 4.

Question:

Anyone else get some pinching on the surrounds with the washers? If I tighten the screws down to where I think they should be, the surrounds deform in, like a reverse bulge.

Not looking forward to taking everything back apart this coming year to replace the wiring [laughs].

muu8khmjy527.jpeg
  • xschop
    edited January 2023
    Options
    The rings should be positioned before the glue dries and make sure glue doesn't get into the threaded taps. Be careful of those washers deforming the butly surrounds also.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    Options
    Yeah you definitely don't want any washer you use to be on top of the surround material. My solution was to make square washers by grinding one side of a #10 square nut and to use that as a washer. Better surface area of contact too and only in a few places where the surround notches were not aligned well did I have to trim a little surround with an Xacto knife.
    i9ncgr7abg5l.jpg
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    [curses]

Well, nuts.

I need different washers...

[cue unexpected delay sad trombone]
  • xschop
    Options
    Just go without washers for now. You'll probably have to re-torque again after so many hours of head-banging anyway.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Side note:

Speaker #1 looks wicked with 4 shiny metal 50's rocket-age X-1 bumper teats pointed at me.

If nothing else, I'll have the coolest looking speakers in my circles ;)

I'll take the washers off tomorrow. I'll just plan on getting special ones when I do to wiring sometime this year.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    Do not use washers of any kind and do not use button head screws. Use cap screws.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    Options
    Do not use washers of any kind and do not use button head screws. Use cap screws.

Is he going to pay any attention to what you say anyway? Tell him to use cap screws and he will switch to pop-rivets...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Hey there, @nooshinjohn.

I listen to everything *everyone* says =)

I don't have the kind of bolts F1 suggests, so I took off the washers and will use the bolts I have for now.

There's a difference between respecting recommendations and dismissing them.

I never dismiss them.

The recommendations for standard practice on some parts of my build(s) aren't ignored, ever! If I decide to experiment, I do it with thought, research, and learning something new in mind.

If you have something to add, jump in.

But please don't pee in my pool.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited January 2023
    Options

If you have something to add, jump in.

But please don't pee in my pool.

My comment was meant in jest... You need to lighten up there Skippy, or do you prefer "Karen"?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    Do not use washers of any kind.

Sometimes washers are needed....

2w7hxxspwf9m.jpg

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    Yikes! ∆∆∆
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Do not use washers of any kind.

Sometimes washers are needed....

2w7hxxspwf9m.jpg

Holy flippin doodle good buddy!

Customer reports they think their tires need a rebalance 🤣
  • skipshot12
    Options

Is he going to pay any attention to what you say anyway? Tell him to use cap screws and he will switch to pop-rivets...

Hope this was a kindly ribbing or joke…
    If not, this was a tad harsh.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    skipshot12 wrote: »

Hope this was a kindly ribbing or joke…
    If not, this was a tad harsh.

It was just that...