d0iuoslo45ez.png

Best mod ever

Is that the OCC version?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    Options
    Escalating?? A few people sharing their point of view is Escalating??
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    @Toolfan66

Meaning the number of participants and the number of comments since my ringing basket update. And a reference to the arousal bits.

Given how escalate is used in meme-dom, I can see the confusion. I should've used a different intro.

I'd change it to 'All this was a lot to catch up on!' or 'So many comments to go back and make sure I keep track of!' or 'Hit the brakes, I need to collect my thoughts!' or 'O.k., let's take stock of what I have here, because, going back through and reading, some people think I'm an idiot, or cheap, or disrespectful because I'm trying something non-standard or off-the-wall (or even just tossing ideas out to see what people think).'... or something, to avoid confusion.

I did say I wrote that long-**** thing when I woke up... and the thoughts cross 3 or 4 different threads.

I certainly wasn't complaining about anything you said! You're helpful!
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    Options
    Ah, yep I took it the wrong way. Sorry..
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    No problem!

My essays are prone to errors/typos/things I wish I could fix.

More words = more chances for [insert unintended consequence here]

=)
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Now.

Printing a terminal plate and putting a few things up for sale to fund coils =)

u7i9bydsujpj.jpeg
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Figured I'd date and sign the terminal plates.

Basic.

No frills.

Pink.

Silly.

fpqzl75ksrpz.jpeg
    q9t77mlfh8wh.jpeg
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,277
    Options
    Looking good, now for the binding post upgrade
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    ...now for the binding post upgrade

I know, right?

I thought I had upgraded posts in the pile o' parts, but I didn't =(

Will order soon.

Vampires are seemingly the posts of choice here, but do you have a recommendation?

• skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,002
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I’ll second pit’s Cardas’ recommend. On the spendy side but excellent.
    I have experience with the CCBP posts.
    Upgraded the speaker posts in my Legacy-Audio monobloc amps. They work great.

Since I had a little accident in shorting out my binding posts, beer induced, I now go with insulated pieces.
    WBT are also very nice. Also spendy.

Only two I’ve used.
    So I cannot recommend others…
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,184
    Options
    @plastic_avatar 8 phase plug shims are off and away towards you, now in the clutches of the US postal service :)
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • invalid
    Options
    I used these from meniscus audio for about $13 a pair.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Ooof. I'm almost ready to take the posts off my homebrews (nothing special, but better than stock)... might go with @invalid's choice to begin, and when I finish upgrading my 5B, I can swap these to those and buy a fancier pair (and print a better quality terminal plate... first go, not bad).

I'm really thinking I wish I had different boards. The stock soldering is awful. And they'll be crowded when I get to soldering =( I was thinking about diy'ing it, but @VR3's stuff is so incredible, it seems like an insult to try [laughs]. But if I want to get the new coils... the stock board is an even bigger p-i-t-a for me...

And the oldest has Rona again (we all had it in January). So I'll have time here to design... maybe.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    Positive terminal on all but one vintage Polk speaker model goes on the left.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• plastic_avatar
    Options
    terminal swap = just had them in to check my print (paid no attention to the color, all is good)

Found the Vitamin A. Went ahead and doped.

The 2 bottom domes were thirsty. Lucky I guess, that the tops and bottoms were different in how tight the weave/fabric is. That way, they're matched in weight of oil. whether that really matters to the ear, though...

dth4p0pxl41a.jpeg
    29gntyo87l5i.jpeg
    d29hxkgkug95.jpeg

Sure makes them shiny.

• plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 690
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Less shiny today.

Had to sop up some oil from around the base of the domes.

Permeating the weave nicely.

Stock, the fabric had a crinkly quality. Not like the 2000 dome, but on the same quality of deformation feel/sound shelf- when handling and poking around. Not nearly as sharp, but nit supple like the newer domes. I hope the doping smooths out that characteristic, without killing the sparkle.

I'll put a doped Wuhan in the 5B to compare.

Doped Wuhan:
    h08g8212eyrs.jpeg
    mf3xlru0qmld.jpeg

198 (omg, sooooo dusty):
    v1mv42rfgc2p.jpeg
    lhsfrvljq5k9.jpeg

The 198 looks like the outer ring of fabric was doped.

I didn't do that on the Wuhans... should I? I didn't because I worried about loosening the glue holding the dome to its plate...
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,698
    Options
    I don't think the outer rings matter much, but may help in faster break-in?

The important thing is to not have any excess oil in the circular pleats.

Looks good
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    edited October 2022
    Options
    What is the 411 on this Vitiman A oil ? What does it do and why will it not turn rancid ?

What is the benefit on the diaphram I guess.
  • F1nut
    edited October 2022
    Options
    It appears there are 3 different oils used in the liquid form of vitamin A depending on the manufacturer. Either cod oil, olive oil or coconut oil.

Cod, olive and coconut oil will turn rancid and olive oil will become a gummy mess. I'm not sure if the other two will.

NONE of those oils has any business on a fabric tweeter dome.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Options
    That one he used has soybean oil, gelatin, glycerin, purified water, and 3,000 mcg Retinyl Palmitate per capsule. Vitamin A is an antioxidant which would tend to keep the soybean oil from oxidizing (becoming rancid).

I have no idea what manufacturers use for doping their tweeter domes and I suspect it is a highly guarded proprietary secret in each case.

Here's a thread where it is discussed:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/soft-dome-tweeter-coatings.79999/

Two interesting mentions were (up to page 2):

Oppanol (polyisobutylene) and Silicone (1 part Permatex 81730 Windshield and Glass Sealant thinned with 3 parts hexane)
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • F1nut
    Options
    Vitamin A, however, is sensitive to oxidation caused by light and metal in the presence of oxygen

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Options
    The oil suspension won't allow oxygen contact with the retinoic acid, the reason for its encapsulation in oil.

The doped wuhans will sound very similar to 194's.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • invalid
    Options
    Doesn't this procedure add mass to the tweeter?
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    It's an affordable experiment.

If these go South, I'll have money to replace them with either more Wuhan domes, or upgrade to a different dome, or get the 194.

As it is right now, everything is fine =)

I'll try them out in the 5B soon.

I never thought I'd be messing with as much as I have. It's fun =)

Went ahead and doped my one working 5B. It's all in the name of science!
    2xchw5bcows5.jpeg
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Do you think you could blot the excess off with something non lint forming like maybe lens tissue that is used to clean camera and binocular lenses? Seems like a lot there :#
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    Options
    Just use a dry Q-tip to soak up the excess.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    OK but not my DollarTwentyFiveTree Qtips. Very shedding of fibres prone they are :)
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS