New Polk Audio "Legend" Speaker Series shown at 2019 Hong Kong High End Audio Video Show

Comments

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    DSkip wrote: »
    JayCee wrote: »
    @DSkip, think I saw a while back where you are no longer a Polk distributor? Just checked your website and don't see them listed. Reason for asking is, if so, will you have a pair for audition?

I’m not approved but I’m going to work on it. At that price point I am the kind of dealer they want. I’m just not sure I’m enough of a ‘product mover’ to make it worth their while though.

The rest of their lines are impossible for small guys to rep. We go through distributors and their prices don’t change. So when all those items are on constant sale, guess who has no margins to work with?

Stu mentioned, in the video, there would be a few select small reps. Not sure what your margins would need to be...obviously, you represent other brands that, if I guessed, are financially more lucrative, but is it possible to work out inventory on Polk's dime and, perhaps, pay you a flat rate just to demo? Essentially, salaried vs. commission?
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    VINDICATION IS MINE!!!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    After seeing the L800, I was thinking somewhere around $8K to $10K for a pair. Didn't realize they'd be part of a full line of home theater speakers as well including a center speaker and Atmos modules. There will be nothing else like them on the market. If they were standalone without the price support of an entire line of speakers backing them up they would probably cost a lot more than they do. As it is, I am very likely to buy a pair later this year if they are available.

Too much for some? Of course. That's why Sound United markets speakers at a wide price range to provide gear to a wide range of customers. The LSiM line did not go on discount sale for quite a while after they were first introduced, and the economy was quite different.

Thanks go to Stu and the team for bringing these to market.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    edited September 2019
    I like the new wood finish on the sides better than piano black. Probably more durable too. And seems more fitting for a Polk Legend speaker.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I like the new wood finish on the sides better ...
    Its cool that real wood veneer is back.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    edited September 2019
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    Now we know what an updated SDA 1c costs...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    tonyb wrote: »
    At that price point, people are going to wait for the friends and family sale. 3g's for the pair is doable for many folks, 6g's is a stretch for many.

Interested in any reviews , so post them up if anyone comes across some. My concern isn't with the SDA effect, drivers used, more so the lower bass from that down ported design. Was never a favorite of mine from their other speakers.

Now we get to look forward to " what receiver to drive the L800's" posts. :)

No more F & F.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    F1nut wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    At that price point, people are going to wait for the friends and family sale. 3g's for the pair is doable for many folks, 6g's is a stretch for many.

Interested in any reviews , so post them up if anyone comes across some. My concern isn't with the SDA effect, drivers used, more so the lower bass from that down ported design. Was never a favorite of mine from their other speakers.

Now we get to look forward to " what receiver to drive the L800's" posts. :)

No more F & F.

If you calc inflation from 1990 to 2019 the 1.2tls would have cost you $3300e today and the 2.3tls would be $2450.00...so price isn't that far off
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    This is really exciting. To witness the re-birth of speaker system many thought long forgotten. Wow! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • F1nut
    There is no piano black version. It's walnut veneer with a matte black bezel or black oak veneer with a gloss black bezel.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    Love the walnut with matte black.
  • verb
    Grimster74 wrote: »
    Just in case anyone missed it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tnns8Os0Hg

Great video. Love the talk about using CAD and FEA in the design process, 3D printing, all the modern design tools, even the prototyping and testing. A lot of process similarities in my biz!

One of the best explanations of SDA, IMO.

And the description of the unique features of the new Legends! I'm gonna watch it again! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • txcoastal1
    So with the pic Jesse posted and the RMAF pic, I'm guessing these will not have to be pinned up against the wall?

• F1nut
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    So with the pic Jesse posted and the RMAF pic, I'm guessing these will not have to be pinned up against the wall?

They don't have to be, but with the Power Port on the bottom they can be placed pretty close to the back wall if desired.

President of Club Polk

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    6 Gs is almost 9000 up hear in Canada. They better be really dam good for that price. I could buy some really nice heavily discounted floor models of something else for that price. What a Shame.... plus I think my audio friends would kill me if they knew I paid 8000 dollars for a pair of Polk audio speakers.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• verb
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Grimster74 wrote: »
    Just in case anyone missed it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tnns8Os0Hg

Oh, so I just got my 3:30 pm EDT back, I guess. :|

No way! Reveals are always fun! And full of surprises! Ya never know! :)
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,161
    edited September 2019
    I had a hard time deciding which of the 4 posts to comment on, lol, but this one is the winner.

All I can say is WOW! I never thought we'd see new SDA speakers from Polk. This is really great news and I cannot wait to hear how they sound once people can get their ears on them.

Congrats to Team Polk for reinventing a legend!

Unfortunately the $6k price will be beyond my current means but I hope these speakers are a critical and commercial success for Polk and that the new SDA technology is a big leap forward in sound. I love my SDA 2B TLs and if the new speakers end up being a big jump up from those then I know I will have to get these new SDAs at some point.

I find the appearance to be pleasing but agree they would look better with grills. I also wonder how big of a footprint they take up. Does anyone have the specs on these yet? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I look forward to the reviews!

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Outstanding video. Love the backstory and the history. Job well done everyone!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    $6000 for the pair of the new flagship SDA speakers

$1200 for the entry level 5 1/4” bookshelf speakers
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • adabro
    adabro Posts: 212
    Pretty cool - after upgrading from Monitor to RTi I didn't think I'd move onto LSiM's, but did just that. As said, after conversion these will be pricey here in Canada (for me at least) so I can't see buying, but never say never.

Always like seeing new stuff to drool over, even if I never buy it.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    halo wrote: »
    $6000 for the pair of the new flagship SDA speakers

$1200 for the entry level 5 1/4” bookshelf speakers

Entry level top of the line. Like the cheapest Ferrari.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    edited September 2019
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I like the new wood finish on the sides better than piano black. Probably more durable too. And seems more fitting for a Polk Legend speaker.

Wouldn't brown walnut Contact Paper vinyl veneer have been more appropriate to the Polk legend?

flgfhc5khsjw.jpg

9606201717_d3fb6c6688_z.jpgearlypolkfamilyportrait by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

• mhardy6647
    Those crossovers are going to be a nightmare to upgrade....

is that comment relating to this?

dp1hmi22l2p1.png
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,053

dp1hmi22l2p1.png

Looks like a crossover from any KEF 2-way. B)
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    OleBoot wrote: »

dp1hmi22l2p1.png

Looks like a crossover from any KEF 2-way. B)
    :)

... rather different than my idea of a nice XO.

47662491102_d0396b4672_h.jpgDSC_4468 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited September 2019
    Then And Now: SDA Prices Adjusted For Inflation

Inflation calculator used: https://www.halfhill.com/inflation_js.html

SDA SRS 1.2TL - $3400 (1991) = $6407 in 2019 dollars.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL - $2500 (1991) = $4711 in 2019 dollars.
    SDA SRS 3.1TL - $2000 (1991) = $3769 in 2019 dollars.
    SDA 1C - $1800 (1989) = $3725 in 2019 dollars.
    SDA 2B - $1300 (1989) = $2690 in 2019 dollars.
    SDA CRS+ - $1000 (1989) = $2069 in 2019 dollars.

The L800 SDA is most similar to the SDA SRS 3.1TL in size and weight:

L800 SDA:

Height 48.6"
    Width 17.94"
    Depth 17.38"
    Weight 118 lbs

SDA SRS 3.1TL:

Height 48"
    Width 15.75"
    Depth 13.88"
    Weight 101 lbs

There was speculation that if Polk ever reintroduced an SDA loudspeaker the size of the 1.2TL, it would have to retail in the $10,000 to $15,000 range. The retail price of the L800 indicates that the speculated price range of a new big SDA was on the money.

If the L800 is successful, I expect the value of vintage SDA's, particularly hotrodded ones, to increase substantially.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    SDA CRS+ - $1000 (1989) = $2069 in 2019 dollars.

Let's hear it for a $2k Legend L-CRS bookie!
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk