New Polk Audio "Legend" Speaker Series shown at 2019 Hong Kong High End Audio Video Show

Comments

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,190
    Well, there you have it, the end of the debate around here...

"SDA is not an effect." ~Stu Lumsden
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    scubalab wrote: »
    I think I saw a vampire in that video!

He had some snazzy shorts :D
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    edited September 2019
    scubalab wrote: »
    I think I saw a vampire in that video!

Nice of Polk to be accommodating and host an event after sundown. The company has a heart.

L800s brought in under $6K a pair. Impressive feat.

And, no DSP or powered subwoofers. All acoustic. Excellent!

A full lineup finally, including Atmos speakers.

Just noticed it appears the L800s have a separately ported midwoofer in the top of the cabinet.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    The L800’s overall specifications read like those of a future bantamweight champ. Each speaker weighs a hefty 118-pounds and measures 17.9”W x 48.6”H x 17.4”D, carrying a total of six drivers and wicked down-firing port. And it’s sure to require decent power to drive (87dB, 4 ohm), with an overall frequency response of 24Hz-50kHz.

The Legend Series’ other tower option is no slouch either, weighing in at 77.8-pounds (12.9” x 46” x 15.9”) and possessing playback down to 28Hz.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    edited September 2019
    DSkip wrote: »
    While that’s a great video I’m disappointed they would release it prior to Polk’s own announcement. Extremely disappointed. I imagine Polk won’t be too fond of that either.

I dunno man, all press is good press and all that. This just all adds to the hype and excitement. The point is to get the word far and wide and ultimately sell lots of speakers, right? And I don't see how these early posts will detract from that...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,172
    Yup, these are now on my want list for the new house when I get back from deployment. Hope the pricing stays well regulated and the speakers hold their value well (assuming they are up to snuff)
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    It looks like AVS got the word to let the cat out of the bag early. I'm sure Polk OK'ed it as two sources released info this morning.

Now we wait for the reviews...
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    Grimster74 wrote: »
    Just in case anyone missed it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tnns8Os0Hg

Oh, so I just got my 3:30 pm EDT back, I guess. :|
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    edited September 2019
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Well, there you have it, the end of the debate around here...

"SDA is not an effect." ~Stu Lumsden

more of an affect, I'd say ;)

On the other hand, I am thrilled to learn that these have Turbine Cones.
    • Turbine Cones: Polk developed the new Turbine cone specifically for the Legend series to ensure the natural reproduction of the mid-range—the frequency range human ears are most sensitive towards. The Turbine cone combines Polk’s proprietary foam core and the molded Turbine geometry, which dramatically increases stiffness and damping without adding mass, resulting in a smooth, detailed mid-range and effortless bass.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    Whooooaaaaa....watching Stu and the new SDA's...while listening on my vintage SDA's. It's Back to the Future! Can't wait to audition these.

iw0mubgrmhis.jpg

90bqrqc724a1.png

JUST CASH!

92rt56poshj8.png
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    No SDA unless you can afford $6,000 speakers?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Yep 6K for SDA.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    @DSkip, think I saw a while back where you are no longer a Polk distributor? Just checked your website and don't see them listed. Reason for asking is, if so, will you have a pair for audition?
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    Because we couldn’t compete with the online sales
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited September 2019
    Nightfall wrote: »
    No SDA unless you can afford $6,000 speakers?

That price is going to be a hard sell for many.
    I like the SDA sound at times, but for $6000 not sure it appeals to me on the level I had hoped.
    (edit) The pic ddog put makes them seem more worthwhile, but want more specifics.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I mean, that's fine, but $2,000 SDA bookies would be cool.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • WLDock
    edited September 2019
    To be honest, those whole reveal has been a bit disappointing. I think they dropped the ball hard.
    Still excited about the new SDA though.
    I agree with this as well. I actually got some of their marketing pop-up stuff over the last several days while surfing the web. So they obviously spent some money and time on the release. It would have been SO much better if the AVS press release came RIGHT after the live event was over.

Still, I'm guessing AVS got the OK from Polk as someone obviously got a press release out. However, the release crapped on the live event!

Nevertheless, yeah SDA! ...and how do they sound? and how will I afford them? and what will the Mrs say about those monsters sitting in the family room? LOL!

OK, its much too early.... I'm sure the forum will light up later tonight.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • K_M
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I mean, that's fine, but $2,000 SDA bookies would be cool.

Going a bit off topic here, but we had 2 sets of Lsi9's put them side by side, disconnected the tweeters and wired them in the SDA fashion, with the outer pairs doing the cancellation effect and they sounded incredible, but took it apart as it took up a lot of room width wise AND weight wise.
  • DSkip wrote: »
    To be honest, those whole reveal has been a bit disappointing. I think they dropped the ball hard.

I think getting the video out ahead of the reveal and hearing it from the man behind the SDA himself, allows Polk to generate some buzz about the legend behind the legend. It maybe expresses some of the heritage behind Polk and points out the loudspeakers are a potential magnum opus.

And otherwise, the video would gain less traction after the reveal.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    6 grand a pair....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    Oh, and those juicy details Jess promised ? It is still daylight out though, gotta give that man some time before the coffin opens.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • WLDock
    edited September 2019

I think getting the video out ahead of the reveal and hearing it from the man behind the SDA himself, allows Polk to generate some buzz about the legend behind the legend. It maybe expresses some of the heritage behind Polk and points out the loudspeakers are a potential magnum opus.

And otherwise, the video would gain less traction after the reveal.
    OK, I think you are correct. Sound and Vision plus AV Nirvana posted a release also:

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/polk-announces-its-most-advanced-speakers-ever
    https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/breaking-polk-audio-announces-new-legend-series-flagship-speaker-lineup.5480/

Polk is trying to direct traffic to their website and create last minute buzz for the live event!

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Do these new SDA speakers require an interconnect cable?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Do these new SDA speakers require an interconnect cable?

Yes.
  • K_M
    tonyb wrote: »
    At that price point, people are going to wait for the friends and family sale. 3g's for the pair is doable for many folks, 6g's is a stretch for many.

Interested in any reviews , so post them up if anyone comes across some. My concern isn't with the SDA effect, drivers used, more so the lower bass from that down ported design. Was never a favorite of mine from their other speakers.

Now we get to look forward to " what receiver to drive the L800's" posts. :)

You bashed me for using the word "Effect".....see that is what comes naturally...lol
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    Those crossovers are going to be a nightmare to upgrade....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson