What are you cooking?

Comments

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,700
    edited September 29
    Turkey breast was on sale a few weeks ago. Thawed and put it on the Kamado today. vfhp7xvna3oj.jpg
    9yeki5fg3ae8.jpg
    Post edited by billbillw on
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,967
    You should post these on the pizza thread....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    Of course, Vanilla is of no help....I'll try to find the link...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,356
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    51qyk3vtufyx.jpeg

Grilled Kale pesto pizza with salami. Believe it or not this is all four of my kids favorite pizzas, and my youngest choose this for her birthday dinner...

Dude!!! You're killing me with the pies........GPS me in.....

Come on to Waco brother! I'm always grilling something and the deck/pool is a great place to chill and listen to tunes...

WACO??? You are just a hop skip and a jump from me. I will definitely take you up on your offer in the not-too-distant future. I could use some R&R like that :)
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • billbillw
    edited September 30
    Leftover smoked turkey breast becomes creamy white bean chili, inspired by Cowboy Kent, with about 10oz of cream cheese melted in.
    Three big bowls gone already...
    3pq6pc9d1eyp.jpg

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,428
    A little bit like chicken chili I like to make, but this one is with chicken broth, salsa verde, vidalia onion, green bell pepper, green chili, cannelini beans, and chicken of course. Serve it over rice

rc01y3t86q97.jpg

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • billbillw
    edited October 1
    A little bit like chicken chili I like to make, but this one is with chicken broth, salsa verde, vidalia onion, green bell pepper, green chili, cannelini beans, and chicken of course. Serve it over rice
    That's pretty similar, but the smoked chicken/turkey adds a nice touch, as does the cream cheese. I don't use salsa, but saute raw onions, garlic hatch peppers, and add in my spices. I also take one of the cans of cannelini beans and I smash them up to act as a thickening agent. A little bit of lemon to balance also. I don't serve over rice, but throw in some tortilla chips for texture.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Half n half nachos.....half onion/serrano, half not....

fnlrtbaz1pf2.png

uanqht11k8kj.png
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Geoff4rfc
    My weekend roommate is over, tonight's menu, balsamic chicken over pasta...pics to follow later on ;)

• Geoff4rfc
    Balsamic chicken with lots of fresh garlic. Garnished with sliced green olive and avocado. Salad was mixed greens, fresh green onions, hardboiled eggs, tomato, diced sharp cheddar, crumbled gorgonzola. Ayesha had white wine, ice cold Lone Star beer for me :)

u8kh0iihdqph.png

53adqkdbobpi.png

ooco0rjmvbzu.png

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited October 6
    Tonight is a lasagna my son has been wanting to make out of his Nik Digiovanni cook book. It's a French Italian lasagna as there is a bechamel sauce folded in to the cheese filling.
    q3l6q5p1keet.jpg
    Post edited by Willow on
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,256
    On Saturday evening, one of our favorite meals:
    Grilled Rosemary Pork Chops ... with Haricots Verts and Shallots; roasted delicata squash

8tkuta0hs8o2.png

Last week, received three bottles of this 2023 Hauts Baigneux Le Pineau d'Aunis wine via Dry Farm Wines that influenced our meal choice. Organic wine from an ancient grape known for its harmonious blend of tart red fruit, a touch of grapefruit peel, and a hauntingly-light whiff of turned clay.
    ctcjg543ypuh.png
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Geoff4rfc
    On Saturday evening, one of our favorite meals:
    Grilled Rosemary Pork Chops ... with Haricots Verts and Shallots; roasted delicata squash

8tkuta0hs8o2.png

Last week, received three bottles of this 2023 Hauts Baigneux Le Pineau d'Aunis wine via Dry Farm Wines that influenced our meal choice. Organic wine from an ancient grape known for its harmonious blend of tart red fruit, a touch of grapefruit peel, and a hauntingly-light whiff of turned clay.
    ctcjg543ypuh.png

Slap me with a porkchop and stick a green bean up my nose.....this is where I'm heading for dinner!!!

• billbillw
    edited October 7
    Slap me with a porkchop and stick a green bean up my nose.....this is where I'm heading for dinner!!!

I do love a good pork chop dinner as well. Here is an archive of perhaps my most successful attempt. A pair of 2-bone chops were on clearance at Kroger, still plenty fresh. Low temp cook in the oven oven on a rack, then reverse seared cast iron with some sautéed apples. I've tried to re-do this a couple times, with somewhat less success.
    v4oh9xre89bt.jpg
    bnui0gkf63o3.jpg
    u5psxdui8bby.jpg

• Geoff4rfc
    billbillw wrote: »

I do love a good pork chop dinner as well. Here is an archive of perhaps my most successful attempt. A pair of 2-bone chops were on clearance at Kroger, still plenty fresh. Low temp cook in the oven on a rack, then reverse seared cast iron with some sautéed apples. I've tried to re-do this a couple times, with somewhat less success.
    v4oh9xre89bt.jpg
    bnui0gkf63o3.jpg

Yeah man, I'm craving some chops now. Like the way you prepared them. I think I'll try that as well!!!

I haven't had chops in a long time. My ex would pan fry them in my cast iron skillet and burn the place down...every time. I had to cover my gear with blankets and vent the smoke, but they sure were good lol

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,143
    Willow wrote: »
    Tonight is a lasagna my son has been wanting to make out of his Nik Digiovanni cook book. It's a French Italian lasagna as there is a bechamel sauce folded in to the cheese filling.
    q3l6q5p1keet.jpg

Béchamel is the sauce of the Gods! 😋
    Alea jacta est!
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,865
    vbyk1htu94fs.jpeg
    ir8f8fsfi3tg.jpeg

Cherry-smoked baby backs, cornbread casserole and backed beans.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Brian, those ribs look great!!

What is in the cornbread casserole? I've not heard of that.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • bcwsrt

Here you go, straight from Mrs.srt’s recipe book!

n1nzv5etw5oh.jpeg

“Backed” beans. 🙄 Stupid auto-correct!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Geoff4rfc
    bcwsrt wrote: »

Here you go, straight from Mrs.srt’s recipe book!

n1nzv5etw5oh.jpeg

OH.....MY.....FRIGGIN....GOSH!!!!!!!

Please tell Mrs. SRT, Many Thanks!!!!!!

And yeah dude, those ribs looked banging!

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,337

They need Ketchup.......

• BlueBirdMusic
    edited October 19

Thanks!

Took me awhile to figure out "Backed" beans as I was looking in the photo of the recipe. I had read it as "Baked" beans originally and kept doing so. I will try the casserole. I bought the corn meal below a few days ago and will make a version of the jiffy mix.

Growing up, we always took corn to the mill to have it stone ground. That was about 45 miles west of Atlanta in the country. My dad's hobby was gardening which carried over from a large family growing their own food. He would have at least 15-20 acres of corn each year with different planting times. The family home place was 100 acres split between my dad and my uncle next door.

I learned that most of the pre-mixed items usually have too much flour as compared to the corn recipes my mother used. My mother's best dish in the summer was creamed style corn.

I wish I could make those ribs but smoking meats has never been one of my endeavors. I tend to stick to grilling steaks, chops, chicken, fish, etc that doesn't require a lot of time.

8ndk66wk1a4n.png

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Geoff4rfc

You're in Marietta? So, do you remember, back in both 1991 and 92, when I came down from WA to compete at Road Atlanta, and I waved to you?..........That was awesome!!!!

• treitz3
    edited October 19
    5dx50o9yefth.jpg

The wife's Apple pie and my own homemade chili, including fresh ground, bloomed and sun dried whole Pablano peppers. This is the second batch of this chili I have made and man, so good! Very unique taste. I even ground my own spices with the mortar and pestle. It makes a huge difference between that and store bought, pre-ground spices. It's just a flavor explosion.

Tom
  • la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 650
    slymy19dai3s.jpg

That looks exquisite. If only someone could develop an easier way to eat that on the go...pmt4h3h9uup1.jpg
  • Geoff4rfc
    treitz3 wrote: »
    5dx50o9yefth.jpg

The wife's Apple pie and my own homemade chili, including fresh ground, bloomed and sun dried whole Pablano peppers. This is the second batch of this chili I have made and man, so good! Very unique taste. I even ground my own spices with the mortar and pestle. It makes a huge difference between that and store bought, pre-ground spices. It's just a flavor explosion.

Tom

Would absolutely LOVE to do a chili cookoff with you, but I'll need more than a bowl of yours for testing :D

• treitz3
    One of my secrets is this. Before browning the meat, mix it with a tad bit of water, baking soda and salt. It changes the structure of the ground beef to where it is as soft as a Rib Eye that was ground. Let it sit for 20 to 25 minutes before browning/cooking the beef.

Just that, changes the texture to delightful heights.

Tom
  • bcwsrt

I wish I could make those ribs but smoking meats has never been one of my endeavors. I tend to stick to grilling steaks, chops, chicken, fish, etc that doesn't require a lot of time.

8ndk66wk1a4n.png

What an interesting family history! I’m positive your version of the casserole will be over-the-top starting with that corn meal!

I have found ribs, and for that matter, pork in general, very forgiving when smoking. I was in my mid-40’s before I mustered up the nerve to try them for the first time. Ended up being mad at myself for waiting so long! Haven’t smoked a bad rack of ribs yet.

Poultry is my smoking nemesis. Just can’t get the hang of it. I’ve done three beef briskets and that had me intimidated for the longest time, but it is almost as easy as pork, now. Turkey, chicken and Cornish hens are another story, though. Ugh.

Brian