What are you cooking?

15678911»

Comments

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,700
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    Poultry is my smoking nemesis. Just can’t get the hang of it. I’ve done three beef briskets and that had me intimidated for the longest time, but it is almost as easy as pork, now. Turkey, chicken and Cornish hens are another story, though. Ugh.

What is going wrong with your poultry smokes? I've actually had great results with just about any poultry that I've smoked. It just takes a little different approach based on the characteristics of the meat. Low and slow isn't the game. It doesn't need hours to break down collagens. Lots of smoke in the beginning and ramp the temp from 230 up to 350-375 toward the end for browning and crispy skin.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,255
    The trick with turkey is temperature. Do not leave on smoker till 165. If you are letting it rest indoors pull bird at 155 to 158. Have your tray ready to go, long wide heavy foil in a cross pattern to thoroughly wrap bird. Then take another piece to top the foil tray off. This allows the bird to continue to cook and come up to temp on it's own producing a juicy bird.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,865
    billbillw wrote: »
    Poultry is my smoking nemesis. Just can’t get the hang of it. I’ve done three beef briskets and that had me intimidated for the longest time, but it is almost as easy as pork, now. Turkey, chicken and Cornish hens are another story, though. Ugh.

What is going wrong with your poultry smokes? I've actually had great results with just about any poultry that I've smoked. It just takes a little different approach based on the characteristics of the meat. Low and slow isn't the game. It doesn't need hours to break down collagens. Lots of smoke in the beginning and ramp the temp from 230 up to 350-375 toward the end for browning and crispy skin.

If I knew that then … 😂

I’m pretty sure it’s a temperature thing. Poultry ends up being too dry most times. Unfortunately, my wife is not convinced it’s done unless the meat falls off the bone. I’ve had some success when brining beforehand, but that’s kind of a PITA.

Thanks for the tip on ramping up the temp towards the end (and also to @txcoastal1 for the turkey suggestion).
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,967
    Last night's meal. Homemade lasagna (Not the noodles, but not no bake noodles either). I should have crushed the garlic, instead of mincing it for the cheese mixture because it was a little bit garlic heavy on the palette. Otherwise, it was spot on. In all of my years of cooking, this was the first lasagna I had ever made. It was much better than any pre-assembled, throw it in the oven deal.

d7uq29xwaft2.png

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • billbillw
    edited October 21

If I knew that then … 😂

I’m pretty sure it’s a temperature thing. Poultry ends up being too dry most times. Unfortunately, my wife is not convinced it’s done unless the meat falls off the bone. I’ve had some success when brining beforehand, but that’s kind of a PITA.

Thanks for the tip on ramping up the temp towards the end (and also to @txcoastal1 for the turkey suggestion).

Hopefully you are using a remote temp probe in the breast or thigh. You'll have to convince your wife that poultry shouldn't fall off the bone, unless it is braised or in a stew. Those turkey breast get dry as a popcorn f4Rt if you go much over 165F. Thigh temps should be closer to 180F if you want all the pink to be gone, but it is actually safe to eat even with a bit of pink (dark meat).
    Also, I highly recommend the spatchc0ck method for a big whole turkey. I started doing it in 2016 because it was the only way for me to fit a whole turkey plus a breast on an Akorn Kamado. The results were great. It evens out the cooking time between the breast and thighs. It isn't as appealing to look at it, but if you carve everything in the kitchen (you should), then the table guests don't see it either way. It cuts the cooking time way down as well. For whole chickens, I also like to quarter them for even cooking. A tip is to save the section of backbone that you cut out and smoke it for about an hour at the start, then cut it up and braise it and cook it down for the gravy broth.
    Double the trouble for a group of 20 in 2016.
    cm341y9lw4gc.jpg
    Cooking for smaller group a year later:
    gp31r77sjjx0.jpg
    More recently:
    l4uoh49gs0q2.jpg
    Just a Sunday afternoon chicken for the three of us:
    pzyc7v1697g2.jpg

• Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,356
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I should have crushed the garlic, instead of mincing it for the cheese mixture because it was a little bit garlic heavy on the palette.

Tom

I did not know there WAS such a thing!!!???
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,656
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I should have crushed the garlic, instead of mincing it for the cheese mixture because it was a little bit garlic heavy on the palette.

Tom

I did not know there WAS such a thing!!!???

As garlic? B)
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,865
    edited October 21

If I knew that then … 😂

Hopefully you are using a remote temp probe in the breast or thigh. You'll have to convince your wife that poultry shouldn't fall off the bone, unless it is braised or in a stew.

Definitely use a temp probe.

Yeah, not happening with wifey. Been trying for 25+ years. The beautiful filet mignons have to be well done (170+), also ... right before the A1 gets poured on them. 🙄😩🤬

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,356
    Taco night at the Ge-off house.....so basic, but my favorite of all the tacos I make.....

vl3a0qkqbl8y.png

98kgtw9nhbin.png

2oim2ad32cf5.png

8nexo594z87j.png
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,967
    Yeah, not happening with wifey. Been trying for 25+ years. The beautiful filet mignons have to be well done (170+), also ... right before the A1 gets poured on them. 🙄😩🤬

Either she's bat chit crazy or she's never had a great....never mind. Bless her heart....

Some people simply like flavored leather.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • billbillw
    edited October 21

Definitely use a temp probe.

Dude, don't spend money for a Filet then cook it like that. Make her a ground beef "Steak" and shape it like a filet!
    About the only beef that gets cooked well done in my house is meatloaf, brisket, short ribs, chuck roast, shanks, or anything cut from the round.
    I hope you're not doing the same thing with a nice thick pork chop or loin! 140 max for me on those cuts.
  • billbillw
    slymy19dai3s.jpg

Its official, at least by my research 😉
    xb6pl2f4jvcj.jpg
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,256
    edited October 23
    We went back to fish for dinner on Saturday night:

Grilled Swordfish with Southern Sauteed Yellow Squash & Zucchini
    (with Spanish Rose from Costco)
    g40w1511urwz.png
    bmj3916j2bja.jpg
    nwv6fn9tgfj5.png
    Swordfish:
    I had my first Swordfish in the mid 1970's in Boston. It was not a fish that was popular in the south at that time. In Atlanta during this time, there was only one good seafood restaruant which was Jim White's Half Shell in Peachtree-Battle shopping mall. It was next door to Jimmy Orr's Restaurant and Bar which was previously managed by Jim White. For you young folks, Jimmy Orr was Bulldog and played with the Baltimore Colts and was a favorite receiver of Johnny Unitas.

On my first trip to Boston, one of the constant news stories was mecury in fish, in particular swordfish. The restaurant that I went to the first night was Anthony’s Pier 4. Swordfish was on the menu and it was great. I was blown away with the restaurant especially the pictures of all the famous people who had been there. I returned to this restaurant several times throughout the years. The restaurant closed in 2013.

ncuimrnacyfi.png
    vzxafdvo8vtz.png
    78ut23alajp1.png
    w4arot9awq4r.png

From a 2016 news story which told of the impending tear-down of the restaurant:

The photos that lined the walls are gone now, of Kennedys and Johnny Carson, Celtics greats and Frank Sinatra, always posing with the Albanian immigrant who had his name on the door.

Gone too, are the lobsters you’d pass over on that little bridge on your way into the dining room. And gone are the baskets of steaming popovers.

The restaurant shot to prominence when Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton ate there in 1964. Norman Jewison's The Thomas Crown Affair 1968 film was shot there for one of its dinner date scenes between Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway.

The views are still there, still jaw-dropping, out across Boston Harbor toward downtown and the airport. But instead of being seen from a vast dining room visited by generations of Bostonians, they will soon be enjoyed from a one-acre park at the end of the pier and from the luxury condos in a new building behind it.

k1p23otlcdkt.png
    Sign that remembers Anthony's Pier 4
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA