What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• treitz3treitz3 Posts: 14,617
    Here are a couple of examples of "fairly decent recordings" sounding like reference songs...

Christopher Cross - Think of Laura

Counting Crows - Perfect Blue Buddings

Air Supply - I want to give it all

The string instruments are out of this world real on the Air Supply song. There is a raspiness that is so realistic as if they are playing that instrument in the room. Almost as if you could hear the individual horse hair variations on the violin bow. Hard to explain....wouldn't even know where to begin but it sounds like they are there in the room playing the instrument before you.

Same album, the song Goodbye. Many aspects could be considered reference. The bass riff should have a plethora of texture and cycling that should be easily heard with no one note bass.

Back to listening...

Tom

In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

~ The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction ~

~ Not all things that can be measured can be heard and not all things heard can be measured ~

~ When the law ends, tyranny begins ~
  • sgmsmgsgmsmg Posts: 456
    Very nice! Excellent work! My OCD appreciates the symmetry and I am sure there is also the added benefit of having two of them :D
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Marantz 8805
    Amps: Parasound JC5, A21+, A51, A51
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB13 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Rocket 88, AQ Niagara, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7
    Power: PS Audio P5 Regenerator, Furman IT Reference 15i, Pangea AC14SE and AC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • OldmanSRSOldmanSRS Posts: 459
    Thanks! I read that doubling the cones quadruples the bass energy. I like symmetry and symmetry of sound in this case. One was good but I could tell where it was at times and that bugged me. A pair really hits hard, deep and tight when required.
    '65 427 Shelby AC Cobra
    '72 Triumph TR-6
    '05 HSU VTF-3 Sub
    '93 Carver TFM-35 (just because)
    '88 Carver M-1.0t (just because)
    '14 PGA2310 based custom remote volume control
    '88 Adcom GFP-555
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (upgraded/restored)
    '05 Onkyo DV-555 media
    '89 Pioneer Laser Disc media
    '89 Sony SuperBeta HiFi media
    Do you notice any drum hits/strikes that are more noticeable in stereo?

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

~ The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction ~

~ Not all things that can be measured can be heard and not all things heard can be measured ~

Also, when listening, do you pull them out from the wall? The ports are choked when they are up against the wall like that.

Tom

• GlennDogGlennDog Posts: 2,316
    edited March 12
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I bought this simple and unassuming looking Lumin U1 Mini from AudioThesis, and I'm amazed at how much difference a high quality streaming transport can make.

I've never heard Tidal sound this good on my system. Worth every penny.

h6zl8ii0rtrd.jpg

We need a Polk Audio Forum "Excusive Drew Review"
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I have it connected to my Ruby DAC via an Audioquest Forest USB cable. Would like to try a higher end USB cable with it to hear any differences.

Tidal SQ thru the Mini is very good. I’m impressed.
    Before you finalize that review, try the Mini with a “higher quality” cable. I’ve not heard the AQ Forest, it may be a very fine usb for a sub hundie. I’m currently running a WW Platinum and all I can say is wow.
    That said, I wonder what a Final Touch Audio usb could do for me? I’ve only heard great things about it ...
    Power Rogue M180 monos & Adcom GFA 5802
    PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Rears Salk SuperCharged Surrounds
    Source PSA PWT into NSD Supremo
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Center Salk HT2C
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Wires WW & MIT
  • maxwardmaxward Posts: 706
    It’s all about the symmetry, isn’t it?
    Thorens TD-160C; Sumiko Talisman S, retipped by Soundsmith; Jolida JD9; Marantz CD-53; North Star Intenso;
    Joule-Electra LA-100; Balanced Power Technology AC conditioner;
    Odyssey Khartago monos (with most factory upgrades); Magnepan MG 3.6R
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Do you notice any drum hits/strikes that are more noticeable in stereo?

Tom

I'm not running stereo on the subs since the Adcom amp is driven from combining both channels in the left sub's preamp and feeding that mono signal to both channels of the Adcom which in turn feeds the driver in each sub speaker.

Downstairs in the garage I do run one stereo channel to each sub. I can't say I notice much separation. Sometimes the bass content below 40 hz contains some out of phase info that when running stereo subs mixes in your head instead of being cancelled out by making it mono first, and I can hear the results like a ghost bass image behind me but it's rare.
    '65 427 Shelby AC Cobra
    '72 Triumph TR-6
    '05 HSU VTF-3 Sub
    '88 Adcom GFP-555
    '05 Onkyo DV-555 media
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Also, when listening, do you pull them out from the wall? The ports are choked when they are up against the wall like that.

Tom

Not thus far. I listen pretty loud and the cones are not moving all that much. I ran a continuous 25 hz test tone through them and cranked it up until I could hear some port noise but I have yet to get them that loud with material. I will play around with distance from the wall and see if it changes their response.
    '65 427 Shelby AC Cobra
    '72 Triumph TR-6
    '05 HSU VTF-3 Sub
    '88 Adcom GFP-555
    '05 Onkyo DV-555 media
    OldmanSRS wrote: »
    I'm not running stereo on the subs since the Adcom amp is driven from combining both channels in the left sub's preamp and feeding that mono signal to both channels of the Adcom which in turn feeds the driver in each sub speaker.

Downstairs in the garage I do run one stereo channel to each sub. I can't say I notice much separation. Sometimes the bass content below 40 hz contains some out of phase info that when running stereo subs mixes in your head instead of being cancelled out by making it mono first, and I can hear the results like a ghost bass image behind me but it's rare.
    Hmmm, thanks for your observations. I have my subs up on stands and at the same height with the tweeters. The signal is in stereo on a full range system. If you ever have a chance to do this? I would highly recommend it sir.

Great looking system!

Tom

edited March 13
    I was looking at your setup and did not know those were subs on the stands. I'm sure having them inline with the tweeters helps with sound continuity. What subs are they and how much do they weigh? I was planning on running stereo subs in the main room but since I could no longer buy the HSU plate amp for the second sub, I went with dual channel mono. T he main thing my 1.2s lack is tight bass when the listening position is midway between the speakers and a rear wall. I fought this and lost in several homes. My last home had a 26 long by 14 wide room and I listened from near the rear wall. The bass was great but if I moved to midway, the bass and the punch disappears. These subs restored that and then some in my current setup.

I'm not a real high end guy or an audiophile. I just like stuff that works well enough for my taste, and to impress friends occasionally and I like to build as much of it as I can.
    '65 427 Shelby AC Cobra
    '72 Triumph TR-6
    '05 HSU VTF-3 Sub
    '88 Adcom GFP-555
    '05 Onkyo DV-555 media
    Dang, I just typed a long response to you and then edited it but it went away! It's too late to keep going. Signing off til tomorrow.
    '65 427 Shelby AC Cobra
    '72 Triumph TR-6
    '05 HSU VTF-3 Sub
    '88 Adcom GFP-555
    '05 Onkyo DV-555 media
    The subs are Rythmik F25's. As for the weight? Good question. They are heavy. Definitely a two person lift onto the stands. Once they are on? I simply twist them to make adjustments...although not easy given the space restraints.

Even full range speakers could use subs IMO/IME.

Although I am a KISS (Keep it simple stupid) kinda guy, the subs round out the system as a whole and offer yet another level of (in spades) listening enjoyment. When in stereo, the sound stage is at an even higher level of enjoyment/playback realism.

It can offer you pinpoint reproductive efforts with so many things other than the drums. With the drums, it can offer you pinpoint locationality cues to where one can point a laser at each individual component within the drum set and/or sound stage.

Tom

OldmanSRS wrote: »
    Dang, I just typed a long response to you and then edited it but it went away! It's too late to keep going. Signing off til tomorrow.

Trust me when I say that I have been there, done that. The guys on this forum have given me grief about it as well. It happens. TTY tomorrow.

Tom

• marvda1marvda1 Posts: 4,104
    you need to get those bad boys set up now! :D
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,Kinki Studio EX-M1
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: L.K.S MH-DA004, Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI,
    Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2, Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2, Gabriel Gold Reckoning
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
  • ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 5,473
    marvda1 wrote: »
    you need to get those bad boys set up now! :D

Between you and Skip, I swear!
    Sending my Nordost Heimdalls out to be re-terminated from bi-wire to shotguns on Monday. But I will use a set of Canare 4S11 or whatever they are...

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 4,884
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    What ever could these be...
    vy75b10s8f34.jpeg

Maybe catnip?
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT - Parasound P6 - Parasound A21+ - Elac Adante AS-61 - AQ Niagara 5000 - SVS SB16u

HT - Panasonic BDP/Tivo Bolt - Marantz SR5013 - Def tech C and In ceiling - Sony XBR 75"
  • ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 5,473
    You would think...
    But between those and our modular closet set, the dining room is loaded with boxes and the cats are going gaga
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 22,903
    Wipe them down with antiseptic wipes and bleach first. You don't know where they've been. ;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 505 SACD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.” .

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • Mike ReeterMike Reeter Posts: 3,977
    What ever could these be...
    vy75b10s8f34.jpeg

New Elba 2's ?

SDA SRS 2.3TL's/SDA SRS 3.1TL's/SDA CRS+4.1TL's and some other stuff
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 17,270
    edited March 14
    I will use a set of Canare 4S11 or whatever they are...
    Not a dang thing wrong with Canare wire.
    I just happen to use a dual run to each speaker of 4S11. I can thank Frank at Signal cable for the idea. Is 8 gauge cable overkill???
    Nope!
    😁😁
  • Mike ReeterMike Reeter Posts: 3,977
    Indeed. Walnut pair.

Good for you! I'll have to plan a little road trip this Summer. I'd love to get ears on a pair.

SDA SRS 2.3TL's/SDA SRS 3.1TL's/SDA CRS+4.1TL's and some other stuff
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 19,480
    Very cool...get busy we want to see them!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amplifier: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 - Cables: Kimber Hero XLR; Kimber 8VS Bi-Wire; DH Labs D-75 dig coaxial
  • displaynamedisplayname Posts: 766
    Very exciting! I'm jealous, but hopefully at some point I'll snag a pair. Walnut would be my color of choice as well :)
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs