What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• indyhawgindyhawg Posts: 1,510
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Indeed. Walnut pair.

Congrats on the Elbas's.
  • gp4jesusgp4jesus Posts: 1,508
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I will use a set of Canare 4S11 or whatever they are...
    Not a dang thing wrong with Canare wire.
    I just happen to use a dual run to each speaker of 4S11. I can thank Frank at Signal cable for the idea. Is 8 gauge* cable* overkill*???
    Nope*!
    😁😁
    go big* or go home*!

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED
    Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro
    Samsung BDP, Dish Rcvr, Xbox, Phillips CD chgr

Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; CC outside
    BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out
    8 ga Powerline - LR woofers, inside* & out
    *soldered

LR: tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; M&T - 981
    CC: Rotel RB985 -> tri-amped CSi A6
    5 Audio Pro Subs: 1 B1.39: an Evidence at each corner
    Surrounds: Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3
    Power Conditioning & Distribution:
    3 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 4 Furman Miniport 20s
  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 1,500
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I will use a set of Canare 4S11 or whatever they are...
    Not a dang thing wrong with Canare wire.
    I just happen to use a dual run to each speaker of 4S11. I can thank Frank at Signal cable for the idea. Is 8 gauge* cable* overkill*???
    Nope*!
    😁😁
    go big* or go home*!

I found there's a lot more to speaker cables than gauge when I tried a double run of Canare wire.
    I had to try it and see for myself though >:)

• gp4jesusgp4jesus Posts: 1,508
    edited March 14
    I found there's a lot more to speaker cables than gauge when I tried a double run of Canare wire.
    Is your Canare 4S11 10 gauge, too? That would make a double run equal to 7 ga? Specifically, what did you learn...? I’m gonna dodge a tomato or two before this is over.

IME doing internal speaker mods, one channel’s speaker at a time; (more recently) bit by bit, progressing towards bi-amping*, size made an undeniable diff especially in the lower octaves. In the case of Polk speakers of ~12 years ago I’m certain that’s due to their wimpy internal wire. Jess says it’s 16 ga. I say 18.
    *and eventually tri-amping

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/174880/tri-amped-rti-a7#latest

Upgrading the internal wire to 12 ga of my CC made most male dialogue heavier* and/or thicker*. Further, after I removed the passive XO filtering I upgraded to Canare 4S11 inside and out. More so* than before, I felt forced to make light use of my CC’s EXO’s PEQ capability to rebalance its tone.

I hope this helps you to understand why I must chime in anytime someone attempts to downplay the value of wire gauge. I realize gauge increases doesn’t always apply. If it didn’t make a diff, I’m sorry, but you won’t know till you try.

Sorry for the long winded rant. Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED
    Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro
    Samsung BDP, Dish Rcvr, Xbox, Phillips CD chgr

Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; CC outside
    BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out
    8 ga Powerline - LR woofers, inside* & out
    *soldered

LR: tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; M&T - 981
    CC: Rotel RB985 -> tri-amped CSi A6
    5 Audio Pro Subs: 1 B1.39: an Evidence at each corner
    Surrounds: Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3
    Power Conditioning & Distribution:
    3 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 4 Furman Miniport 20s
  • LoStringsLoStrings Posts: 38
    Love the stands!
  • hochpt21hochpt21 Posts: 5,279
    Thank you :)
    Speakers - GoldenEar Triton 2
    Man Cave
    Turntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado Gold
    Integrated Amplifier - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II
    CD: Cambridge Audio
    Speakers - LSiM 703; SDA 2A; Epos Epic 2
    Glad you’re liking the 703’s
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 25,802
    edited March 14
    What ever could these be...
    vy75b10s8f34.jpeg

Years back, within hours after I brought the new-to-me Altec 604E Duplexes back from western Vermont to MA, I was greeted with this tableau:

grdqzlxiyf6s.png

Fortunately (??) I had draped a towel over each of the Duplexes to give them some semblance of protection -- but apparently all I really managed to do is to create a (tabby) attractive nuisance.
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 9,156
    Cats ARE curious creatures for sure! :#

We love having one around.

Oreo...who's a hoot! :D
    t50bpriarq6h.png

Cali, who has gone to cat heaven last summer. :'(
    2x2nydybt9f2.png

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 22,779
    I love my REL...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 505 SACD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.” .

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • hochpt21hochpt21 Posts: 5,279
    dromunds wrote: »
    Glad you’re liking the 703’s

Thanks Don. Today was the first time I put them in the system. Obviously, I know the sound signature from the 705s, but even so they surprised me today. Looking forward to much more time with them.
    Speakers - GoldenEar Triton 2
    Man Cave
    Turntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado Gold
    Integrated Amplifier - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II
    CD: Cambridge Audio
    Speakers - LSiM 703; SDA 2A; Epos Epic 2
    tratliff wrote: »
    hdo6gj26dfgf.jpeg

Pulled my subs out into the room for evaluation.

My evaluation is complete. AWESOME room! :smile:

Thanks. I have been working on the room for the last couple of years.

Moving the subs was interesting. Gave me the ability to use more volume with the subs. Listened to iRobot, DSOTM, Fragile, Radio KIOS and Nightfly. Was a all out assault on top notch vinyl. Sounded great. Wife was not particularly happy with placement but hey its my room.

I will continue to evaluate sound quality with the subs out of the corners.
    2 Channel
    Legacy Focus SE, 2 REL Carbon Limited, McIntosh C50, McIntosh MC601's, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound Halo JC3, Denon DP-59l w/Ortofon 2m Bronze, Marantz SA-14s1, Oppo BDP-105, Technics RS-1500, Furman Elite 15PFi, Douglas Connection (Furutech) Alpha Interconnects, Douglas Connection (Furutech) Alpha Speaker Cables, Pangea Power Cables
  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 1,500
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    Is your Canare 4S11 10 gauge, too? That would make a double run equal to 7 ga? Specifically, what did you learn...? I’m gonna dodge a tomato or two before this is over.

Tony
    [/quote]
    Yes that's what I had and what I did. What I learned was Canare double run was an upgrade over basic 12 gauge cable I was using. Next I learned that a pair of 8' MIT mh750 speaker cables are an upgrade over that 3' Canare double run. I had thought the shorter and thicker Canares would win out but my ears told me a different story.
    I'm in the bunker next to you ducking those tomatos :)

• WardswebWardsweb Posts: 871
    I turned it on and listened to records. It was nice.
    Living room: Clearaudio Champion II turntable, EAR 834P phono pre, Auralic Altair DAC/server, PS Audio Quintessence power, DIY 6H30 Class A Linestage, ASL AQ1006 845 DT MKII mono block amplifers, DIY Altec/JBL speakers, DIY Baltic birch rack
    Sun room: DIY Nelson Pass B1 w/Korg NuTube pre, Technics SL-1700 turntable, DIY Anaview d-class mono block amplfiers, JBL C50 Olympus speakers with custom Smith horns, Mapleshade Samson rack
    Den: Onkyo TX-NR929 receiver, Oppo BDP-103 player, Behringer EP 4000 sub amp, Electrovoice DX-38 active, DIY EL-34 horn amp, Behringer NU6000 bass amp, Klipsch Jubilee speakers, Martin Logan Cinema center, JBL SAT2 surrounds, Danley DTS-10 sub
    Dining room: Pro-Ject RPM 1 turntable, Shanling CD-T1500 SACD, Sumo Athena pre, SST Ampzilla 2000 amps, Quad 2905 speakers
  • displaynamedisplayname Posts: 678
    marvda1 wrote: »
    Just got these in today. More to come later.qkp2nfjmadnp.jpg
    my0taz7j41hx.jpg

Excited to hear what you think of those!
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Usher T-515 or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 22,779
    I installed RD0194's in all of my surround speakers...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 505 SACD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.” .

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 4,591
    How are the new wires?
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AS-61 - AQ Niagara 5000 - SVS SB16u

HT - Panasonic BDP/Tivo Bolt - Marantz SR5013 - Def tech C and In ceiling - Sony XBR 75"
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 4,054
    just shipped my trade-in organic 2 speaker cables back to musical artisans, it took all of 5 minutes comparative listening :D
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,Kinki Studio EX-M1
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: L.K.S MH-DA004, Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI,
    Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2, Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2, Gabriel Gold Reckoning
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
  • Mike ReeterMike Reeter Posts: 3,937
    xsmi wrote: »
    So, this followed me home today. I’m gonna have some time off because of the virus, so maybe I’ll have time to finally put my system together.

04s8blb0odkx.jpeg
    7q78yrgdk6tl.jpeg

99 Preamp, a Rogue Audio Classic. Has it had any upgrades? Magnum or Super Magnum?

SDA SRS 2.3TL's/SDA SRS 3.1TL's/SDA CRS+4.1TL's and some other stuff
  • xsmixsmi Posts: 1,522
    It’s a 66. Phono pre.
    2-channel
    Belles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box MM, Magnepan LRS, Polk Audio SDA-SRS, AudioQuest Cable throughout. Pro-Ject RPM 5.1 (soon)