What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Installed transparent balanaced mm2 interconnects and mm2 speaker cables which was a huge difference from their reference range !
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    0c1y54s9ckgf.jpgi942k9yak910.jpg

Ancient Egyptian subwoofer.... Or a dreadnought. You decide.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,162
    edited October 2019
    Dreadnaught. I made it a few years ago.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    Dreadnaught. I made it a few years ago.

What does it do? I don't mean to sound stupid.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • It's an isoation tranformer that allows the use of monoblock amplifiers for one thing. Lots of info about it via search button.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    edited October 2019
    It's an isoation tranformer that allows the use of monoblock amplifiers for one thing. Lots of info about it via search button.

The engravings on the front make it look like something used to conjure up Satan from the eternal abyss.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,162
    edited October 2019
    LOL, it's a symbol for a circuit diagram that I found on the internet a few years ago.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    edited October 2019
    It's an isoation tranformer that allows the use of monoblock amplifiers for one thing. Lots of info about it via search button.

The engravings on the front make it look like something used to conjure up Satan from the eternal abyss.
    LOL, it's a symbol for a circuit diagram that I found on the internet a few years ago.

Not one I recognize (FWIW) -- so I am really puzzled :p
    Ergo, I vote satanic. I mean, there are satanic mechanics, as we know -- not to mention demonic mnemonics.

Reminds me of Linn's logo B)

0c1y54s9ckgf.jpg
    diptmqel4d37.png

EDIT: FWIW, the only active circuit components with dots in 'em I can think of are gas-filled/cold cathode tubes like voltage regulators & thyratrons :p

4oue5r2rzzqn.png

I looked for soiled state examples like the symbol in question, but came up dry.
    (i.e., I am really curious about the inspiration!)

• It surely wasn't intended to look like any satanic symbol :s ...time for a new enclosure!
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
  • mhardy6647
    It surely wasn't intended to look like any satanic symbol :s ...time for a new enclosure!

we kid, we kid...
  • nooshinjohn
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    It surely wasn't intended to look like any satanic symbol :s ...time for a new enclosure!

we kid, we kid...

This times 1000...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,937
    That's awesome
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited October 2019
    Tore down the music room in preparation for the baby in Feb. The wife wants to start getting it together NOW.

Going to store the SDA, Denon and Adcom. Currently have my turntable, Denon SACD player and the Technics that I won in a karma from Doc in the bedroom.

Sad day but I'm lucky she let me set up a bedroom stereo.

vxl8613n02ju.jpg
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,854
    If you think you are going to be using the bedroom stereo..haha. Mama and baby will be in there (if its in the master br) You'll be listening to music off your phone with some cans.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Willow wrote: »
    If you think you are going to be using the bedroom stereo..haha. Mama and baby will be in there (if its in the master br) You'll be listening to music off your phone with some cans.

It's for the time that they are in the living room and what not. I'll find my time although I don't listen as much as I used to. Too busy.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • nooshinjohn
    Willow wrote: »

It's for the time that they are in the living room and what not. I'll find my time although I don't listen as much as I used to. Too busy.

Obi Wan once thought as you do... I can count on one hand with a finger to two left over that I was truly allowed to listen to music uninterrupted since my son was born.

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,854
    ^^^
    You know what I'm talking about
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited October 2019
    I really like this thing! Nice vintage condition, with just a bit of patina! :smile:

Appears to be a lacquered cardboard (pretty stiff) will metal reinforcements along all the edges and corners. The tray insert is also well reinforced with metal, and metal channels on both ends to hold it in place. All riveted construction.

The inside top has an elastic strap, I imagine for papers or service manuals.

Sure don't make em like that anymore! :)

8hkswsxxqs6s.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,630
    verb wrote: »
    Nice vintage condition, with just a bit of patina!

I knew this girl. She wasn't "vintage", but I bit her patina. :o
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    That’s pretty cool Dave!
  • aiconn
    aiconn Posts: 277
    I bought and installed a Peachtree NovaPre. It sounds much better than the Pioneer receiver I was using as a preamp.

PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC/Preamp
    Denon DVD 2910
    Quad 12L Active Monitors
    Marin Logan Dynamo 700W
  • mhardy6647
    aiconn wrote: »
    I bought and installed a Peachtree NovaPre. It sounds much better than the Pioneer receiver I was using as a preamp.

imagine that? ;)
  • nooshinjohn
    Just ordered a set of L800's to replace my 1.2TL's...

J/K... :p

• mhardy6647
    edited October 2019
    so... yesterday I did something to my stereo.

Some may recall that I had the good fortune to pick up a Bryston BDA-1 DAC thingy for essentially the cost of postage a few years back courtesy of a noteworthy karma offered up by @BlueFox
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/177094/its-krazy-karma-time/p1

I guess there was some thing related to the USB input on this model, but whadda I care 'bout any USB, you know? B)

In fact, I even tried it once, using a cheap little lossless portable file player I have and a hodgepodge of cable and adaptors to match genders and species of USB jacks 'n' plugs... with no encouraging results.

Well.

Yesterday I was thinkin' about USB standards and fittings, and I decided to try the simplest, dumbest possible interface: laptop (a battered, cheap Dell) USB 'out' (so to speak) to the USB port on the BDA-1.

... and you know what? it worked. :)

Dumbest possible alpha test (Youtube video audio to the hifi) -- but it worked.

Now I have this urge (which I am so far resisting) to try to understand better how to get digital stuff from other USB-compliant gizmos (as opposed to S/PDIF, which has always worked just fine, thank you) into this DAC.

Just for fun and my own edification, you know?

v1c9arpwdwho.jpg
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Uh oh Mr Hardy....Rabbit hole here we come
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,465
    Time for a Tidal or Qobuz subscription!