What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    joecoulson wrote: »
    I agree. Mike the decorations are as bad azz as the equipment. Fantastic job.
    I would come hang out there if we were pals.

If your travels ever take you through mid Missouri, give me a shout. The Beer is always Cold and the Music is usually a tad bit too loud.

• Turned mine on after being gone for a couple weeks. Noticing some initial startup noise. I REALLY need to get my amps in for a refresh...
    All tube designed Hello Kitty boom box
    Invisible aluminum wireless Phazer speaker wire
    Free Spirit Teleport Preamp (Literally brings the artists into your living room)
    1.44 JW Flux Capacitor Mono Amps
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Nightfall wrote: »
    What was missing from the PSAudio for you?

I'd like to know as well. Seems like a few people got the PSA Stellar Gain Cell preamp, loved it, raved about it, went quiet, then sold them.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Well, after 11 months of listening I had to finally admit defeat and order a new Benchmark DAC2 DX. The PS Audio SGC, while relatively satisfying, just wasn't pushing "all" of my buttons. I guess after 14yrs of owning the same brand dac, it secretly stuck to me. Funny thing is, even though this will be my 4th Benchmark dac, I'm pretty damn excited. And yes, it will be serving as my preamp as well.

Are you still using the Bluesound Node 2i as a digital streamer?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Yes, using the Node 2i. I really liked the SGC's functionality and it has great slam and fullness; but I think it comes at the expense of sounding a little out of focus, and not as articulate and detailed as the BM.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    halo wrote: »

I'd like to know as well. Seems like a few people got the PSA Stellar Gain Cell preamp, loved it, raved about it, went quiet, then sold them.

I’m curious as well. I got caught up on all the postings about the PS Audio amp/pre and starting researching them and then it seemed like most were moving on to something else.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,639
    Added an Auralic Aries Mini to the mix.
    Still cataloging the home library but it sounds pretty darned good with Tidal so far.

I am most likely going to end up with a Lumin U1 Mini for the 2 channel rig and will use the Aries Mini elsewhere/for LSAF.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,465
    Well, I bought my SGC DAC from @Clipdat, and am extremely pleased. Blows away the Parasound P5 I was using. Soundstage is amazingly wide and deep, where as the P5 was very 2 dimensional. Best improvement to my system in quite some time. The elusive speakers disappearing that many talk about, is now a reality with my setup.
  • 5byzrftbptkd.jpg

Assembled a new pair of Daytonaudio SSMB24 stands for the LSi9s. After listening to the stereo now for a while I've realized this is a more appropriate height for these speakers relative to my listening position.

Old stands were 31" high.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • steveinaz
    edited November 2019
    simm wrote: »
    halo wrote: »

I’m curious as well. I got caught up on all the postings about the PS Audio amp/pre and starting researching them and then it seemed like most were moving on to something else.

It's like anything audio, personal tastes play a part. The SGC has a lot going for it, and I certainly understand its appeal---very visceral and exciting presentation, and I love the volume display and general functionality---but there were subtle elements missing from what I was used to in the Benchmark DAC. As I stated earlier, I've been running Benchmarks for over a decade, and that should have told me something.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • I just pulled the Graham Chartwell's out,and put the Hornshoppe Great Horned Heils back in the system.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    The SGC DAC creams the Parasound DAC’s.
    The preamp stage however I would imagine is closer matched to the p5’s.
    I’m running the p6 with that new volume control. It’s presentation is less forward than the SGC but serves well for synergy in my setup. The detail is still there, just more relaxed.
    Personal preference.
  • joecoulson
    And FYI, I only ever used the SGC as a DAC for an A/B test, I used the CXN's when I had it and now the Auralic.
  • steveinaz
    I considered the Parasound P6 VERY HARD, especially with it's upgraded DAC; but decided to go with the "devil I knew" (Benchmark) so I wouldn't have to try to unload a 2nd preamp at a loss.
  • joecoulson
    So my statement above about the SGC beating the Parasound DACs was based on feedback I thought I had heard from trusted ears. Apparently I am misrepresenting that account because of the lack of evidence. My apologies.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,524
    There's just too many variables. I didn't particularly care for the sound of the ESS DAC inside the HINT 6 as I felt that it was inferior through my PMC speakers versus the dual Wolfson DACs inside the CXN V2. When I compared them on the Polk 703s, the difference was much less dramatic and the HINT 6 DAC was much more listenable.

On the NewClassic 200 that I'm currently evaluating, I am unable to reliably distinguish between it's internal Burr-Brown DAC and the CXN V2's DAC(s) while using the Elac speakers. I need to do further testing with the PMC speakers to see if they reveal a gap between their performance.

So basically what I am trying to explain is that system synergy comes into play heavily with a DAC's performance, and it's extraordinarly difficult to make a statement like "X company's DACs are better than X company's DACs."
  • steveinaz
    System synergy and personal preference will determine how good a dac is; price, flowery speech, or mass hype don't. These points can sometimes point you in the right direction, but they aren't the sole qualifier.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    edited November 2019
    How a dac chip is used in the circuit can have a bearing on how it sounds as well. In the past I've heard folks speak of such and such chip they disliked in xx dac but in xxxx dac that same chip was glorious. I've read this time and time again over the years whether it's Burr-Brown, Wolfson, Cirrus or ESS Saber.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited November 2019
    I bet the majority of the sound of a DAC is the analog output stage and power supply quality and not the chip or FPGA used.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited November 2019
    sbb2112 wrote: »
    Ordered one of these guys.Rythmik F15xz8242w0rmrx.jpg

I think you'll be happy with your new Rythmik. I have a pair of F8's and I couldn't be more pleased with their tone.

• joecoulson
    Josh I agree,
    Has to pay a huge part.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,080
    sbb2112 wrote: »
    Ordered one of these guys . .

Rythmik F15

You’ll be smiling from ear to ear for a month
    Congratulations
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • sbb2112 wrote: »
    Ordered one of these guys.Rythmik F15xz8242w0rmrx.jpg

I keep telling myself I don't have room for a sub but if I were to submit, that one would be an excellent choice. Enjoy.
    All tube designed Hello Kitty boom box
    Invisible aluminum wireless Phazer speaker wire
    Free Spirit Teleport Preamp (Literally brings the artists into your living room)
    1.44 JW Flux Capacitor Mono Amps
  • joecoulson
    Congrats on a beautiful musical sub!
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,481
    I simply listened to mine.
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 899
    Playing musical chairs with some gear in systems. I took the Sonic Euphoria pre out of the main system and paired it with a pair of Ampzilla 2000 amps out of the home theater system to drive the Quad 2905's. The better 200 watt mono blocks have more than enough power for the Quads, so the passive pre works fine.

I then took the Sumo Athena pre from the Quad system and put it with the 845 tube amps driving my DIY horns. The active pre drives the amps harder and gets me better bass.

I also took the D-class from the Quad system and put them in the home theater system to drive the Jubilee bass bins. The amps work well for bass duty.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Upgraded to roon 1.7
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • steveinaz
    edited November 2019
    Received the new Benchmark DAC2 DX. It came with the new slimmer remote---very nice. Got the XLR output pads set (10db option) to match my Parasound A21 input sensitivity, for maximum SNR. Love it. Dead quiet. The volume control is more predictable and sensitive, and led's flash as you adjust gain; this is different from the DAC2L.
    Post edited by steveinaz on
  • joecoulson
    Congrats Steve!