What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,279
    Very nice, Mike. Looking forward to your thoughts on it after you've spent some more time with it.

What digital sources will you be feeding it?
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 5,136
    In an attempt to up my Digital Game, I rolled in a Lampizator Amber 3 DAC this morning. Right outta the box, this thing is going to far exceed my expectations.

ore4nyremvzj.jpg

Lookin' good, Mike!
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • ThortonThorton Posts: 1,248
    In an attempt to up my Digital Game, I rolled in a Lampizator Amber 3 DAC this morning. Right outta the box, this thing is going to far exceed my expectations.

ore4nyremvzj.jpg

Very nice pick-up. What did you have before that?
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: W4S MC-5, AMP2: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • Mike ReeterMike Reeter Posts: 3,545
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Very nice, Mike. Looking forward to your thoughts on it after you've spent some more time with it.

Drew, at present all I really have an OPPO 203 feeding it via Dig RCA Coax. The DAC has a USB Input that offers the best resolution, so I'll be looking for a Streamer with USB Output one day. No current laptops to hookup, although I can play some files via the OPPO.

Thorton wrote: »

ore4nyremvzj.jpg

Former DAC was a PS Audio NuWave DSD, a good little DAC but I wanted something with some tubes in it ;)

SDA SRS 2.3TL's/SDA SRS 3.1TL's/SDA CRS+4.1TL's and some other stuff
  • GardenstaterGardenstater Posts: 34
    edited November 18
    I substituted an iPurifier 3 for an older iPurifier 1, plugged into the USB input of my iFi nano idsd DAC and oh what an incredible difference. Everything is so much clearer and more musical, but the most obvious was the clarity of vocals and the smoothness and extended decay of instruments. Didn't get rid of my packet noise (small peaks at 8kHz and 16kHz), and I'm beginning to wonder if they are being generated in the DAC itself. I'm pretty pleased especially since iFi sent me this, along with an iSilencer for free, in response to a support ticket I opened with them. Here's what the packet noise looks like, and it is definitely worse when the browser has lots of tabs open and my Lenovo Y900 desktop is busy doing lots of things (see attachment). I haven't done a test yet with the iPurifier 3, but I can still hear it. If it's better though then maybe it isn't all coming from within the DAC. We'll see.
  • GardenstaterGardenstater Posts: 34
    edited November 18
    Packet noise probably isn't any better with the iPurifier 3, although I believe the other noise is a bit lower, compared to the iPurifier 1. The sound quality is so much better I'm still pretty happy with this change! See attachments.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,274
    Clipdat wrote: »

Drew, at present all I really have an OPPO 203 feeding it via Dig RCA Coax. The DAC has a USB Input that offers the best resolution, so I'll be looking for a Streamer with USB Output one day. No current laptops to hookup, although I can play some files via the OPPO.

Thorton wrote: »

ore4nyremvzj.jpg

Former DAC was a PS Audio NuWave DSD, a good little DAC but I wanted something with some tubes in it ;)

Looking forward to your input.
  • GlennDogGlennDog Posts: 2,072
    edited November 18

You upped your digital game all right! Nice score . . . and ditto what Skip said
    Power Rogue M180 monos & Adcom GFA 5802
    PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Rears Salk SuperCharged Surrounds
    Source PSA PWT into NSD Supremo
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Center Salk HT2C
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Wires WW & MIT
  • halohalo Posts: 5,279

ore4nyremvzj.jpg

Where's the WOW button?!?
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 8,609
    @mhardy6647 check out Skylan stands. You can mass load the vertical square part with whatever you want.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
    halo wrote: »

ore4nyremvzj.jpg

Where's the WOW button?!?

It's the O in Lampizator :D

• joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,692
    Mike - your setup is so clean
    I love it.

Can you show us the whole front view - I love the acoustic treatments and how you have decorated. Kudos!
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61 - AQ Niagara 5000 - SVS SB16u
    Great looking room. Man I can't wait to live by myself again. Or at least with cleaner room mates.

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,548
    Today, I unhooked the dump find hifi I've been listenin' to lately & brought the big-boy person hifi back on line.
    What was missing from the PSAudio for you?

• Gerres26Gerres26 Posts: 496
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Mike - your setup is so clean
    I love it.

Can you show us the whole front view - I love the acoustic treatments and how you have decorated. Kudos!

Thank you, I spend a lot of time there. The pic is pretty much from the Sweet Spot.

08qbqqffqdp8.jpg

This really is one of my favorite setups on this site. Mike, I hope you don’t get mad when I finish my basement and post pics of my new listening room and it just happens to look just like yours lol.
    edited November 19

No worries, what is it they say? "Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Flattery" :)

• joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,692
    I agree. Mike the decorations are as bad azz as the equipment. Fantastic job.
    I would come hang out there if we were pals.
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61 - AQ Niagara 5000 - SVS SB16u
    joecoulson wrote: »
    I agree. Mike the decorations are as bad azz as the equipment. Fantastic job.
    I would come hang out there if we were pals.

If your travels ever take you through mid Missouri, give me a shout. The Beer is always Cold and the Music is usually a tad bit too loud.

• Turned mine on after being gone for a couple weeks. Noticing some initial startup noise. I REALLY need to get my amps in for a refresh...
    All tube designed Hello Kitty boom box
    Invisible aluminum wireless Phazer speaker wire
    Free Spirit Teleport Preamp (Literally brings the artists into your living room)
    1.44 JW Flux Capacitor Mono Amps
    Nightfall wrote: »

I'd like to know as well. Seems like a few people got the PSA Stellar Gain Cell preamp, loved it, raved about it, went quiet, then sold them.
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Well, after 11 months of listening I had to finally admit defeat and order a new Benchmark DAC2 DX. The PS Audio SGC, while relatively satisfying, just wasn't pushing "all" of my buttons. I guess after 14yrs of owning the same brand dac, it secretly stuck to me. Funny thing is, even though this will be my 4th Benchmark dac, I'm pretty damn excited. And yes, it will be serving as my preamp as well.

Are you still using the Bluesound Node 2i as a digital streamer?
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 19,082
    Yes, using the Node 2i. I really liked the SGC's functionality and it has great slam and fullness; but I think it comes at the expense of sounding a little out of focus, and not as articulate and detailed as the BM.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amplifier: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: PSB Imagine T2
  • simmsimm Posts: 494

I'd like to know as well. Seems like a few people got the PSA Stellar Gain Cell preamp, loved it, raved about it, went quiet, then sold them.

I’m curious as well. I got caught up on all the postings about the PS Audio amp/pre and starting researching them and then it seemed like most were moving on to something else.
  • ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 5,136
    Added an Auralic Aries Mini to the mix.
    Still cataloging the home library but it sounds pretty darned good with Tidal so far.

I am most likely going to end up with a Lumin U1 Mini for the 2 channel rig and will use the Aries Mini elsewhere/for LSAF.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 2,489
    Well, I bought my SGC DAC from @Clipdat, and am extremely pleased. Blows away the Parasound P5 I was using. Soundstage is amazingly wide and deep, where as the P5 was very 2 dimensional. Best improvement to my system in quite some time. The elusive speakers disappearing that many talk about, is now a reality with my setup.
  • HzTweakerHzTweaker Posts: 536
    5byzrftbptkd.jpg

Assembled a new pair of Daytonaudio SSMB24 stands for the LSi9s. After listening to the stereo now for a while I've realized this is a more appropriate height for these speakers relative to my listening position.

Old stands were 31" high.
    2ch rig:
    Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress mods
    Preamplifier: Parasound P5
    Amplifier: Vincent SP-331
    CDP: Denon 1520
    Cables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB
    Benched: Parasound A23
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 19,082
    edited November 21
    simm wrote: »

I’m curious as well. I got caught up on all the postings about the PS Audio amp/pre and starting researching them and then it seemed like most were moving on to something else.

It's like anything audio, personal tastes play a part. The SGC has a lot going for it, and I certainly understand its appeal---very visceral and exciting presentation, and I love the volume display and general functionality---but there were subtle elements missing from what I was used to in the Benchmark DAC. As I stated earlier, I've been running Benchmarks for over a decade, and that should have told me something.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amplifier: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: PSB Imagine T2