What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• verbverb Posts: 7,911
    For you Verb, the question is not what did you do, but what didn’t you do to your stereo today.

I can see Verb working on a discussion similar to the one in Audiogon that the guy talks about every amp he has ever owned. Verb's discussion will be about every piece of equipment he currently owns. Maybe he needs his personal "What did Verb do to his stereo rigs today?". (We wouldn't kid with you if you were not liked.)

My Long List of Amplifiers and My Personal Review of Each!
    https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/my-long-list-of-amplifiers-and-my-personal-review-of-each

OMG dude! Nice list for sure. Not your first rodeo! Looks like a roadmap for me! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 19,053
    edited May 4
    Finally cut down my speaker bases closer to the size of the speakers, and added rubber feet. This gives an additional 2 1/2" of height. Total speaker height now is 44". Much better, and puts tweeters on ear axis.

td8oaivzslyj.jpg
  • VR3VR3 Posts: 23,452
    Hmmm… looks decoupled there Steve... obviously missing something since they are not coupled...….

JK - looks great, bet it sounds awesome
    - Not Tom

Vr3Mods.com ///// Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,598
    what kind of wood are they Steve?
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,560
    And good ol Tucker on the soap box no less.
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

They were cutting boards....I'm trying to remember....I got nothin.'
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 1,379
    Maple
    Home System:
    SDA 1C's - Full mod with the help by Dave...
    1000 Va Dreadnought- w/ WireWorld Mini-Eclipse cables
    WireWorld Mini-Eclipse 7 speaker cables
    WireWorld Silver Eclipse IC's
    Cambridge Audio Azur 851N - DAC/Streamer
    B&K Reference 50 Pre/Pro
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    BLE-Design 16mm Power Cables
    Denon DVD 2900

Barn system:
    SDA SRS 2.3's Full mod done by myself
    Carver C-1 pre
    Carver M1.5t
    BluDenso - Bluetooth receiver/DAC
    edited May 4
    steveinaz wrote: »

They were cutting boards....I'm trying to remember....I got nothin.'

Looks like Acacia dark and light wood, I know it's not Walnut probably.
    That acacia seems to be the current wood of choice for cutting boards and such.
    Installed the new Monsoon power cable on the SVS

a7ebojy9zqoj.jpeg
    5izixxlkaqhw.jpeg
    akqicmccfcgp.jpeg
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61
  • warrenwarren Posts: 665
    Turned it on and enjoyed the SDA SRS 2.3’s, Carver M-1.0t amp being fed by Carver C 2
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,199
    joecoulson wrote: »
    5izixxlkaqhw.jpeg

What are "Transient Intermodulation Distortion", "Magnetic Confusion", and "Grain-Junction Discontinuities" other than marketing buzzwords?
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    I guess you are right Drew. The cable must suck.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,294
    Clipdat wrote: »
    joecoulson wrote: »
    5izixxlkaqhw.jpeg

What are "Transient Intermodulation Distortion", "Magnetic Confusion", and "Grain-Junction Discontinuities" other than marketing buzzwords?

Tranisent IM distortion is a real thing -- it was a big deal in the 1980s; harman/kardon (Matti Otala) focused on bandwidth and phase linearity to minimize TIM as it was known.
    http://otala.com/pages/mao/
    https://www.inner-magazines.com/audiophilia/the-2-channel-audio-amplifier/

86tvdhwyrqjv.png
    source:
    https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/harman-kardon/products.shtml (1983/84 brochure)

Can't offer anything on Magnetic Confusion (sounds like a phrase/ from a Jimi Hendrix song). There are certainly discontinuities in ordinary drawn wire conductors, but whether they matter in the real world -- who knows?

Gotta hand it to the professor! First thing this morning I’ve already learned something! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    I have some magnetically confused power cables, the other day they switched to DC and back to AC... can be a real problem with electronics
    - Not Tom

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Found it; they are Acacia wood.
    From AQ's own white paper, I found this mention of magnet confusion:
    zsd9ki1ie49n.png
    https://www.audioquest.com/content/aq/pdf/BoomBox.pdf
    edited May 5
    verb wrote: »
    Gotta hand it to the professor! First thing this morning I’ve already learned something! :smile:

I hate it when he does that. Here I am living life large and wammo he teaches me how stupid I am.
    Lol keep up the good work Doc o:)

Found it; they are Acacia wood.

Some days that one brain cell polar aggravate's properly upstairs for me.
    :D :D :D
    Better pics of the speaker bases:

zm48qfygdghw.jpg
    sn7qeluawm1w.jpg
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,447
    VR3 wrote: »
    I have some magnetically confused power cables, the other day they switched to DC and back to AC... can be a real problem with electronics
    Do they at least know which bathroom to use?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
    Unfortunately not, I caught one of them using the interconnects room and it was shocking!
    - Not Tom

edited May 5
    Did you at least try it as an interconnect? You would be a bad cable parent if you try to force them to accept your own cable bias.

I had an HDMI cable that identified as a CAT5.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
    Unfortunately not, I caught one of them using the interconnects room and it was shocking!

Maybe it identified as an interconnect?
    Hooked up my dinky little PSW11 to the upstairs spare room HT setup. Now 3.1! :smile:
    oaeyjnfxdqpc.jpeg
    mcrizsggcfag.jpeg
  • treitz3treitz3 Posts: 13,098
    I am a fat guy who identifies as a slender guy. Does that make me a transslender?

I have not done anything to my rig today but find more music to buy, thanks to the guys at LASF.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

~ When the law ends, tyranny begins ~
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,294

Maybe it identified as an interconnect?

... as long as it's not unbalanced, it's OK.

:#
  • halohalo Posts: 5,244
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I have not done anything to my rig today but find more music to buy, thanks to the guys at LASF.

Tom

What music would that be Tom?
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I am a fat guy who identifies as a slender guy. Does that make me a transslender?

Tom

It sure does Tom, but it also makes you a fatophobe and you should be shunned for all the hatred you show towards the obese. ;) :p

• simmsimm Posts: 492
    simm wrote: »
    I unhooked my LSiM 705’s and reconnected my Boston VR-M60’s and am enjoying music so much more.

Today I have the 705’s back in action and they sound great. There must really be something to weather/cleanliness of the power coming into the house that has a significant impact on my system. Nothing else has changed.