What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Tony M wrote: »
    You've got a lot of various odd tools, dowel rod and glue on that top.

Looks like a few projects going on at the same time. ;)

Hehe. It was originally a roll-top. Filled the holes used to attach the roll-top with dowels instead of putty. :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    This thing needs a subwoofer! :smile:
    iq4kevkoz978.jpeg
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    I’m getting dizzy just looking at it...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    I’m getting dizzy just looking at it...

I wonder if there's a secret message in Morse code contained in the short and long "arcs" on that thing? :o
  • nooshinjohn
    It says "SDA's are forever"
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    I just swapped in my pair of Monarchy Audio SM 70 mkII's to drive the Nola Boxer 2's. I figured it was time to give my First Watt F5 a little break.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • mhardy6647
    Just don't slip... :open_mouth:
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    It’s sometimes just simple shite. 😀
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 721
    Received and installing the crossover upgrades for the LSi9s. This is the Fortress mod from our very own @VR3 Trey. They look amazing, its a shame they'll never be seen again after this evening :D;) . Treys customer service is great and the crossovers were very well packaged as well, I must say. Pics don't do these things justice when they are in your hands!

I'm trying to upload photos but I am experiencing technical difficulties at the moment. Trust me I took about a dozen of them.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • HzTweaker
    okay so I just needed to be patient. I'm now receiving a flood of emails from myself lol.hzhza5q1nljf.jpg
    39r9eidlsa8c.jpg
    f6t2v24lwraw.jpg
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • nooshinjohn
    They look great, but I am curious just how much of the internal volume of the cabinet they take up, and if that would have a negative impact on the sound.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,937
    I've heard the modified Lsi9 powered on a krell system and I can assure you, it's definitely not negative. 😜
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • HzTweaker
    They look great, but I am curious just how much of the internal volume of the cabinet they take up, and if that would have a negative impact on the sound.

I asked the same thing. I believe Trey.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,555
    ok, big changes afoot.
    https://nanomesher.com/nanosounddac2/
    It's a raspberry pi direct mounted dac with
    a small front panel display and controls for volumio.
    And it has a remote!!!
    1st couple of minutes sounded BAD!!!!
    After a couple of hours, much better.
    I also had to play with a couple of settings.
    No preamp, just a external homemade passive
    pre (shunt style) to prevent volume mishaps in case
    of issues with the hardware volume control of the
    DAC. Setting changes can put it to 100%, so I always
    have it in line. I was using a audiogd dac via usb before.
    IT's feeding the McCormack.
    Jury's still out, but the sound has really hit a good point.
    I'm hoping after a couple of days it will be equal or better
    so I can keep things simple. My raspberry has a big honkin'
    usb stick with my music in lossless FLAC.
    It's got a very small footprint.
    Some users have hacked the interface for a 7" screen.
    But for now the goal was a small footprint and the ability to
    use the mini remote. I only need the tablet for setting up
    playlists.
    For someone looking for a small rig, you can get a small amp board
    to add on for a small desktop system.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    Just hooked this bad boy up... My road to simplicity continues!

9q6lv70qyl2c.jpg
    iyxhyusev6kp.jpg
    cdbcvp8q702c.jpg
    obywfp4wrjcz.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • sucks2beme
    Remote control stepped attenuator passive preamp.
    That's some high tech simple!

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,639
    I loved my Jolida passive pre. Wasn’t a stepped attenuator with Vishay Resistors but still sounded like it should...nothing!
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • VR3
    I'm comparing it the ci audio passive preamp at the moment, not sure why one needs an active preamp after owning these, especially with a decent match between source and Amp
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    So what exactly is a passive pre? Just a volume controller?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • VR3
    Essentially it is an in and a out with a volume knob.

Some more involved as far as options, the ci audio has 4 inputs, dual outs, ht bypass, etc

The axiom pre uses a nice stepped attenuator, you can add more inputs and outputs if you like for more money
  • nooshinjohn
    Today I figured out how to employ all the tools of the SugarCube and am now able to do everything including the correct track splits and click removal levels. Total time per LP, from needle drop to transfer to hard drive, is about 1 hour. Given that 90 percent of the work is automatic, all I need to do is verify the results and burn the finished work to the hard drive.

JRiver has no trouble at all identifying the files, and the results are indistinguishable from the original LP. Once I am finished with the transfers, I will sell off my turntable setup and invest some of that feed up cash on improving my DAC...

• mhardy6647
    edited June 2019
    audioluvr wrote: »
    So what exactly is a passive pre? Just a volume controller?

Usually an attenuator (resistive or inductive) and - ideally :) - a source selector.
    The coolest ones include remote control, too, for the sofa spud market, of course. ;)

I used to bristle at such gizmos being called a preamplifier, but since they're installed ahead of the amplifier... no harm, no foul. B)

IF one doesn't need impedance matching (buffering), additional voltage gain or current drive between source and power amplifier, a good passive can be as good as it gets, IMO. I use one that's built around one of Dave Slagle's older transformer volume control modules (FWIW).

46721118974_bbda9a7b6b_b.jpgDSC_4219 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,188
    Trey, what is your preference....The new on or the old one you have been using?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    I probably won't make an immediate decision on that one, maybe by end of the month, I'm evaluating to much with the crossovers and such. I'll have the second utopia back together next week, I'll use them to evaluate the pres.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,188
    Oh, I forgot about that. Thanks.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,465
    I've tried several passives over the years and found that a few of my favorite CDs are recorded at such a low level that achieving a decent volume is nigh impossible. How do you overcome that?
  • mhardy6647
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I've tried several passives over the years and found that a few of my favorite CDs are recorded at such a low level that achieving a decent volume is nigh impossible. How do you overcome that?

Short answer -- you can't (other than a switch to a CDP with higher output) without added gain.

Comment: Your problem strikes me as very odd, though, for two reasons.
    1) CDs, especially in more recent years, tend not to be mastered at low average signal levels.
    2) CD players tend to have high analog output voltage relative to the old "line level" standard.

• sucks2beme
    That's the down side. If your source output is low
    Or your amp input isn't very sensitive you have a problem.
    My passive is a home brew, direct connection in and out.
    The alps pot just shunts signal to ground.
    The only real fix is to increase the pot value or
    Add a resistor between the pot and ground.
    As far as running the signal through the pot,
    I never liked the result. VR3's pre is as good as passive gets.