What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Options

Comments

• Reagan
    Reagan Posts: 116
    Options
    Good looking setup!
    Speakers: Polk 1.2TL w/VR3 mods and Dreadnaught interconnects
    Amplification: ARC Reference 110 w/KT150s; Cary Audio SLP-05 w/Ultimate Upgrade
    Vinyl: VPI HW19 MK III (Heavily Modded); Origin Live Silver Tonearm; Hana ML Cart; Pete Riggle VTAF; VPI TNT Platter; SAMA; Iphono3
    Digital: Aurender N100H; Benchmark DAC1
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,190
    Options
    I appreciate the compliment! lots of hard work over the years and smart purchasing allowed me to assemble it
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    I applied a new system firmware update on my Gustard R26 DAC. No more magnifying glass needed when changing settings!

wu69r9dwksmu.jpg
    t543u7g3g8x2.jpg

https://www.mediafire.com/file/qwq9ih7azboh55y/Gustard_R26_CT_m2.1_via_type-C.zip/file
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    Options
    Holy moly! That's one heck of a change....should have been there in the first place IMO. Wow.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Got a Lumin U2 Mini from Skip and got it installed along with an AQ Cinnamon ethernet cable. First couple hours were rough as it was very very bright, and my right ear is very sensitive to harshness and will start to buzz badly (medical community says there’s nothing wrong with me of course)

I let it play constantly for 30 hours and re-evaluated and like what I am hearing now. Haven’t done the Sbooster yet, not real comfortable voiding the warranty right now.

Refresh my memory . . . what were you using prior to the U2 MINI ?

TY
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,190
    edited March 2023
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Got a Lumin U2 Mini from Skip and got it installed along with an AQ Cinnamon ethernet cable. First couple hours were rough as it was very very bright, and my right ear is very sensitive to harshness and will start to buzz badly (medical community says there’s nothing wrong with me of course)

I let it play constantly for 30 hours and re-evaluated and like what I am hearing now. Haven’t done the Sbooster yet, not real comfortable voiding the warranty right now.

Refresh my memory . . . what were you using prior to the U2 MINI ?

TY

Cambridge 851N, after the initial brightness scare the Lumin is worlds more refined than the Cambridge (although I still thing the 851n is a friggin steal of a value)

2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • GlennDog
    Options
    Ah yes . . .

I think you may find the MINI does very well with usb. If you can score a lightly used WireWorld Platinum 7 or 8, I think you might find nirvana

Happy listening!
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited March 2023
    Options
    fsf3xbp0b32n.jpg
    ennmcx5ltmw7.jpg

Added these Auralex Mopad Isolation Pads under the Center but tilted upwards instead of downwards like in the picture that Focal sits on.

This is a spare room for watching a little TV slapped a piece of plywood I stained to match on to two cheap tv stands I got at a garage sale stained a old wooden album holder to match. I got more in the can of stain and the Isolation
    Pads. I needed only $70 to put the whole thing together. I need to spread the pads out a bit more like on the sample picture.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    Options
    Not really today, been in the stereo for a week but I’m comfortable enough with it now to speak on it a bit. Got a Lumin U2 Mini from Skip and got it installed along with an AQ Cinnamon ethernet cable. First couple hours were rough as it was very very bright, and my right ear is very sensitive to harshness and will start to buzz badly (medical community says there’s nothing wrong with me of course)

62qffxomfhmg.jpeg

I also have a U2 mini that I picked up from Skip. I paired it with the Norma USB DAC and a AQ Diamond USB. It’s a nice setup.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Having actually managed to re-home ;) some stuff at the big NEVEE fleamarket this past weekend, I've been playing with some of the second and third-tier loudspeakers around here lately. Hooked up a pair of ads L470 that have been here for a while -- and these are danged fine sounding little loudspeakers, in that classic ads/Braun way.

52731999841_695d9691e5_b.jpg

Cat-proof grilles, too! ;) Unfortunately, this pair (which were given to me, years back) is missing one grille. Fortunately, there're no cats here any more. :|

52732248649_37aeefbb48_b.jpg

Rich, sweet, smooth sounding loudspeakers that are easy to drive and also surprisingly sensitive (for small sealed boxes). The worst thing I can say about them is that the "image" doesn't exend much past the loudspeaker' outside edges. Otherwise, they're nigh-on perfect. :|

Everyone, I will opine, should have a pair (or two) of -- or at least spend some time listening to -- ads (or Braun) loudspeakers as part of one's hifi apprenticeship/ear training! :)

Closeup of the grille-less (and slightly worse-for-wear) L470. I apologize for the schmutz on the tweeter, which looks like masking tape residue and has no audible effect (and I figure I'll do more harm than good if I try to remove it!). I also apologize for the upside down logo, which I only noticed when I cropped the image to upload to Flickr. :( I should probably fix that!

52732504218_3d01f15610_b.jpg

52732269629_9391484a94_b.jpg

PS I sold the ELACs Sunday! Kind of glad to move them along -- they just never did it for me, bargain price notwithstanding. :/

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    52731517222_12b9db6e2e_b.jpg

I feexed it! B)

A bit beat-up, but they sound just dandy -- listening to Chicago's Greatest Hits with 'em from our NAS as I type this.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    I swear, you have more hidden gems than an African diamond miner.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Sprung and got an upgraded umbilcal cord for the Lumin.

Listened to a couple of new songs. One of them was trippy, yet awesome.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    That sticky dome appears to suffer from pterygium.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Swapped out my subwoofer IC's that have been in my system (subs) for 14 years. Tried a Transparent Misic Link on them.

Was very surprised at the difference it made.

The entire system is very cohesive and the synergy is off the charts.

Tom
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 756
    Options
    Pulled the trigger on the lhy sw- 8 switch
    It has a lps and a 10mhz clock .
    Very good reviews. Made from a solid block of aluminum.
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    Picked up some Acoustat Spectra 11s for $50.
    They dwarf my Infinity Prelude P-FRs.

tw240rm58ou1.jpeg

Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 756
    Options
    Added ifi powerx cords to the modem/router and the cable box
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,508
    Options
    Added a hard-to-find Dolby 422 noise reduction unit (Dolby B, C and S capability):

x3vqyhxtiigb.png
  • CFarrell_SoundUnited
    Options
    @Gerres26 Dynaudio Mid Bass Driver and Satori Beryllium Tweeter?
  • GlennDog
    Options
    Jim and the new Fam at Salk will attempt to make anything (within reason) to satisfy clients . . . so it might be different from the standard offering. This is what it "most likely is"

https://salksound.com/model.php?model=Song3+Encore
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 863
    Options
    @Gerres26 Dynaudio Mid Bass Driver and Satori Beryllium Tweeter?

Satori Be Tweeter, Audio Technology mid(used by Dynaudio in some models I believe) and the the 9.5” Satori woofer
  • Gerres26
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Jim and the new Fam at Salk will attempt to make anything (within reason) to satisfy clients . . . so it might be different from the standard offering. This is what it "most likely is"

https://salksound.com/model.php?model=Song3+Encore

It most definitely is this!
  • treitz3
    Options
    Fine looking speaker, if I do say so myself.

Tom
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    Installed the Soundocity outriggers on my new to me Salk Encores. Glad to be back in the Salk fam.

Very nice! Welcome back! :)
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • treitz3
    Options
    @Gerres26 - I actually looked up that company that did the outriggers. Would you recommend them? How was the quality of them and do you feel like they can handle the job?

I contacted them and asked to be put on their wait list, as it looks like they are enjoying a couple of months abroad. Just wanted a real review of the quality/other aspects, if you wouldn't mind sharing.

I dig the looks of the steel outriggers with the nickle plating (might powder coat the outrigger part though and do some custom work on the spikes...whether they do it or not). Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have on them.

Tom
  • Gerres26
    Options
    @treitz3 - Build quality wise they are very nice. The adjustable knobs on top of the spikes are great, much easier than trying to use washers or a jam nut with a normal set of spikes to make fine adjustments for level or tilt. That’s actually the original reason I bought them, as the concrete under my basement flooring in my new listening spot isn’t the most level thing ever poured. Using them paired with Herbies gliders has made it a breeze to move the speakers around and then re-level as I was trying to find the best placement for the Salks. Not to mention the added stability of a wider base….and I think they look pretty sweet too.

When I was researching outriggers there wasn’t a ton out there and Soundocity kept coming up as the go to. The outriggers from Dayton/parts express looked okay but the reviews said they were a little too thin and flexed some so I crossed them off my list. These Soundocity ones are pretty damn beefy so I don’t think you’d be disappointed Tom. Of course as you saw, they are taking some time away from the business so you’ll have to be patient. Although, I got lucky and found a guy selling a pair of Tekton speakers that had these outriggers on them so I shot him an offer for just the outriggers and he accepted. So I skipped the wait lol.

Danny
  • treitz3
    Options
    Thanks, Danny. Much appreciated.

Tom
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    Options
    Fwiw, making outriggers is actually really easy. If you can find the spikes you like, cutting metal and powder coating is fairly simple.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.