What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Options

Comments

• Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    Options
    Switched to Audioquest Thunderbirds on my T+A DAC 200.

l6fu8bbh2o65.jpg
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    I think you're supposed to take off those plastic shipping protector things.
  • Polkitup2
    Options
    lol - I always wondered about that. At least I took off the plastic caps on the XLRs!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Definitely would change the dielectric properties of the cables. Removing them will reveal a whole new world of audio.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Polkitup2
    edited April 2023
    Options
    One good thing about them is that they protect the finish on the connectors. As I was trying my best to install them without incident one end slipped out of my hand and clanked against the side of my cabinet. I was thinking thank god for that plastic cover.
  • Clipdat
    Options
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    That’ll buff right out.
  • VR3
    Options
    You like it l I'm digging the smaller one in the desktop rig
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    First impressions are very positive, sounds great.
  • VR3
    Options
    Very nice, pictures of course for proof 😜
  • Clipdat
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I gotchu! Will take some when I get home. It's not much of a looker, but its got it where it counts!
  • Clipdat
    Options
    @VR3 Here you go:
    eb6bpzcqirtn.jpg
    dnnmmzjmds6c.jpg

It's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Small, lightweight, cool running, plenty of power on tap - 210wpc. Completely silent in operation and in standby mode, which it goes into automatically after 10 minutes of no signal.

Very happy and satisfied with the purchase. Did I mention it sounds great?! It's a true pleasure to listen to. I'm planning on writing a formal review after I've spent some more time with it and tried it with my other speakers.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    @VR3 Here you go:
    eb6bpzcqirtn.jpg
    dnnmmzjmds6c.jpg

It's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Small, lightweight, cool running, plenty of power on tap - 210wpc. Completely silent in operation and in standby mode, which it goes into automatically after 10 minutes of no signal.

Very happy and satisfied with the purchase. Did I mention it sounds great?! It's a true pleasure to listen to. I'm planning on writing a formal review after I've spent some more time with it and tried it with my other speakers.

Where’s your Benchmark amp?
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    Options
    @VR3 Here you go:
    eb6bpzcqirtn.jpg
    dnnmmzjmds6c.jpg

Looks like you have a nice and clean cable management going on there..
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    jbreezy5 wrote: »

Hopefully gone.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Clipdat
    Options

Put in the closet for now. Funny story, the whole reason why I wanted a different amp is because the standby PSU in the Benchmark was making a subtle very quiet high pitched noise. Since my system is in my bedroom I could sometimes hear this noise during quiet mornings when laying in bed. Got tired of having to unplug the power cord from the outlet to get it to go away.

Would likely be a non-issue for most people who have their system in a living room or dedicated room. And for those who don't have incredibly sensitive hearing.

But yeah, I'll be holding onto it for when I have a dedicated listening room. The Benchmark AHB2 is still an absolutely incredible amplifier and I love how it sounds. "Flawless" is a great way to describe it's performance.

But for a $3k amp with impeccable measured performance with no audible noise anywhere else, it's perplexing to me that the standby PSU in there makes an annoying high pitched noise.
  • VR3
    Options
    Bat hearing!

Clean setup for sure!
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options

Put in the closet for now. Funny story, the whole reason why I wanted a different amp is because the standby PSU in the Benchmark was making a subtle very quiet high pitched noise. Since my system is in my bedroom I could sometimes hear this noise during quiet mornings when laying in bed. Got tired of having to unplug the power cord from the outlet to get it to go away.

Would likely be a non-issue for most people who have their system in a living room or dedicated room. And for those who don't have incredibly sensitive hearing.

But yeah, I'll be holding onto it for when I have a dedicated listening room. The Benchmark AHB2 is still an absolutely incredible amplifier and I love how it sounds. "Flawless" is a great way to describe it's performance.

But for a $3k amp with impeccable measured performance with no audible noise anywhere else, it's perplexing to me that the standby PSU in there makes an annoying high pitched noise.

Are you implying measurements don’t mean everything?

2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • treitz3
    Options
    "Put it in the closet for now" and, "flawless" doesn't mix in my world.

It's either one way or the other.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    edited April 2023
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

Truer words have never been spoken. The comments above are a perfect example of the “measurements mean everything” narrative being pushed by ASR and others is complete BS
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Clipdat
    edited April 2023
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Are you implying measurements don’t mean everything?

I'm not implying anything, I'm just factually answering @jbreezy5's question about where I put the Benchmark amp.

Tom

Sure Tom, whatever you say. bow.gif

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing about Drew's AHB2. Mine is also boxed-up at the moment since I have the Butler TBD 2250 in situ. I did have to send the Butler in for servicing, but I've had it back for a bit and all is well again.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Clipdat
    edited April 2023
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »

Tom

Truer words have never been spoken. The comments above are a perfect example of the “measurements mean everything” narrative being pushed by ASR and others is complete BS

LOL! Because I'm one of probably under 5 customers of Benchmark that have EVER complained about this particular issue? And it's such a specific use-case and only because I have inordinately sensitive hearing. I'm pretty sure you guys wouldn't even be able to hear what I'm describing, it's incredibly subtle and quiet. Likely a non-issue for 99.9% of people who buy this amp.

But yeah by all means start dogpiling and foaming at the mouth about ASR and measurements even though this is neither here nor there.

Sure seems fun and easy jump on a forum and **** on an amp you've never had any first hand experience with in your own system. Definitely a lot easier than buying one and listening to it for yourself I guess.
    Post edited by Clipdat on
  • treitz3
    Options
    Sure Tom, whatever you say.[/img]

It's not what I said.....it's what you said.

Tom

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options

LOL! Because I'm one of probably under 5 customers of Benchmark that have EVER complained about this particular issue?

How do you know there aren't more than 5 customers complaining about this issue?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,433
    Options
    hehe, I'm glad I'm not the only one hoarding favorite gear for one reason or another. sometimes I like to swap it up. but then, when I start thinking about it, I almost feel like I'm cheating on the piece about to be replaced. yeah, I got issues.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    edited April 2023
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    How do you know there aren't more than 5 customers complaining about this issue?

Google it and prove me wrong then. Literally nobody online discussing this.
  • VR3
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Not to mention only a very small portion of the population has bat ears... Even smaller are audiophiles.

I believe the last one to have bat ears was @dorokusai wife... And not an audiophile!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    I'm going down an old school habit hole. I got Turntables to research, Needles to learn about, MM and MC
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.