What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Options

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    Options
    I have just about every tool known to man but I don't think I have anything to do the metalwork to the quality in which I would like it to be.

Another issue with DIY (which I have no problem doing) is that I haven't been able to source nice spikes that can hold 250 pounds and that you can dial from the top and not the spike itself from the underside.

Of course, you in your incredible searching skillzz would probably find them in T-minus 3 minutes or less. I haven't been so lucky.

I can get James to manufacture the outriggers and I can get them powder coated, no issues there....it's just the spikes that are adjustable from the top that can handle the weight I am having issues with.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 863
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Fwiw, making outriggers is actually really easy. If you can find the spikes you like, cutting metal and powder coating is fairly simple.

Believe me, the thought crossed my mind on doing this. Of course by the time you buy the steel, spikes, knobs and such and then power coat you likely won’t be saving much money if any at all, but you could make them a little more custom to your speakers that way.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Indeed ^^^. It just might be possible that he was not all too serious. But I’m guessing that you can go down to the local bookseller and find Metal Cutting and Powder Coating for Dummies. It’ll be right next to Self Surgery for Dummies.
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 863
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I have just about every tool known to man but I don't think I have anything to do the metalwork to the quality in which I would like it to be.

Another issue with DIY (which I have no problem doing) is that I haven't been able to source nice spikes that can hold 250 pounds and that you can dial from the top and not the spike itself from the underside.

Of course, you in your incredible searching skillzz would probably find them in T-minus 3 minutes or less. I haven't been so lucky.

I can get James to manufacture the outriggers and I can get them powder coated, no issues there....it's just the spikes that are adjustable from the top that can handle the weight I am having issues with.

Tom

I have read of people getting Soundocity to make even thicker versions of their outriggers for heavier speakers like yours Tom. I believe they use spikes from a site called Oergondv.com(maybe they bought them up as that site doesn’t work anymore, although they do still reference them on their own site) and I used their spikes on my old 1.2tls, which worked just fine so I know they are sturdy enough for using with big boys. My Salks are around 100lbs and there’s no deflection at all on my outriggers at least.
  • treitz3
    edited March 2023
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    It just might be possible that he was not all too serious.

Oh, I'm serious. This wouldn't be the first time I had things custom manufacturered. Remember my crossover units? Those were about as custom as one could get.

The price on these aren't bad at all....just don't want to wait too long. I'll hold off until I hear from them but if they don't get back with me within the next month or two, I'll just manufacture some.

I think I spent the same amount for my custom outriggers for the crossover enclosures, so the price is definitely reasonable.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • maxward
    Options
    My comment was referring to @VR3.
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Options
    @treitz3
    I may have a set of the large size Soundcity outriggers if you really want them.
    Let me know and I can try to find them to measure and take pictures.
    It has been a while since I have had eyes on them but they are black with the adjustable knobs.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • treitz3
    Options
    Sure, let me know. I believe the measurements would be 16" and they would have to be rated to support 250 pounds. Thanks man

Tom
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 756
    Options
    Just received my audio switch
    Lhy audio . It's built like a tank ,out of a solid block of aluminum. And only took 9 days from China. The build quality is top notch e30sw236lh78.jpg
    vn9borfe8o4h.jpg
    8liw628f6xy7.jpg
  • rebelsoul
    Options
    It's the lhy audio sw-8
  • treitz3
    Options
    Looks nice, Rebelsoul! Let us know how she sounds to you.
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    I believe they use spikes from a site called Oergondv.com (maybe they bought them up as that site doesn’t work anymore, although they do still reference them on their own site) .

I went and checked out that OregonDV joint and it turns out that Oregon DV/Brass & Granite Audio is apparently an affiliate/different division of Soundocity.

I read somewhere that there is a link to OregonDV from the Soundocity website but I don't see it (or have ran across it yet) and that comment was made on a post made in 2010. So, I clicked on the link at https://www.zoominfo.com/c/brass-granite-audio/32561217 which had the website as https://www.oregondv.com/ and it took me right into Soundocity's website.

Tom

• maxward
    Options
    This happened last fall. Out: Magnepan MG 3.6R
    nnzd4zmxalwg.jpeg

In: Studio Electric M4. Bought sight unseen based on reviews, veneer choices and a chat with Dan Wright (Modwright) who sometimes does shows with these.
    ywaxg92coonh.jpeg

This happened more recently. Out with the Joule Electra LA-100 and Odyssey Khartago monos. In: Eastern Electric M520
    bmye68wacpr5.jpeg

I’m done with downsizing for now and pretty happy with the results. Still playing with speaker placement and the different settings on the integrated amp.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,041
    Options
    I have a guy who can do fabrication and powder coating... Tom is local to me... Hence my message lol
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • maxward
    Options
    I was thinking that YOU were doing it! “Honey, I’ll be in the shop for a while making some outriggers.”
  • VR3
    Options
    That's hilarious! I would love to own a cnc capable of cutting and milling aluminum and steel.... Would be awesome
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    I believe they use spikes from a site called Oregondv.com(maybe they bought them up as that site doesn’t work anymore, although they do still reference them on their own site) and I used their spikes on my old 1.2tls, which worked just fine so I know they are sturdy enough for using with big boys. My Salks are around 100lbs and there’s no deflection at all on my outriggers at least.

I believed you spelled it wrong at first. It is now corrected. I did buy from the old site and they sold good stuff. Now it goes right to the outrigger site.

• sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Options
    Sure, let me know. I believe the measurements would be 16" and they would have to be rated to support 250 pounds. Thanks man

Tom

So it looks like the ones I have will not be wide enough. They appear to be the SBN13 (13.61" to 15.85").
    As far as weight rating goes I did not see it listed on the site but the bars are 1/4" thick.
    It was worth a shot, hope they get back to you.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,702
    Options
    If you build alloy outriggers for 100 lb-plus speakers. They would have to be at least 1x1" square for up to 6" extension past the corners.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • treitz3
    Options
    I'm thinking of somewhere around 2.5" out from the sides. 1/2" steel plate, cut into outriggers?

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    sgmsmg wrote: »
    So it looks like the ones I have will not be wide enough. They appear to be the SBN13 (13.61" to 15.85").

Well, thanks for taking the time to look. Much appreciated. Maybe someone else who is reading this can use them.

Tom

• xschop
    Options
    I'm thinking of somewhere around 2.5" out from the sides. 1/2" steel plate, cut into outriggers?

Tom

No problem with 4140 steel
  • treitz3
    Options
    You interested in possibly doing some side work, Rob? I would need to source the spikes/adjustment knobs but I might just modify my current spikes and add adjustment knobs.

Tom
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,877
    Options
    I finally got around to changing the tweeters in my speakers. Too many fingers pokes and dents. I was able to fix it a couple times but the last time no go. I ordered 2 and installed them. Then I used invisible gift wrap tape to tape the dust covers down to stop kids from easily taking them off and going to town on them. Not sure if it was my kids or their friends.
  • xschop
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Let me check what steel I have at shop. Ill be making some alloy ones soon.

Edit, Im assuming that the feet/spike mount holes are threaded thru the steel correct?
    Post edited by xschop on
  • rebelsoul
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Looks nice, Rebelsoul! Let us know how she sounds to you.
    I believe they use spikes from a site called Oergondv.com (maybe they bought them up as that site doesn’t work anymore, although they do still reference them on their own site) .

I went and checked out that OregonDV joint and it turns out that Oregon DV/Brass & Granite Audio is apparently an affiliate/different division of Soundocity.

I read somewhere that there is a link to OregonDV from the Soundocity website but I don't see it (or have ran across it yet) and that comment was made on a post made in 2010. So, I clicked on the link at https://www.zoominfo.com/c/brass-granite-audio/32561217 which had the website as https://www.oregondv.com/ and it took me right into Soundocity's website.

Tom

Ten hours straight playing music and every hour sounding better. This switch is amazing. I watched a video on YouTube the guy that built it is a audiophile with ocd I knew then get it and it's amazing glad the other one is out till June .
  • treitz3
    Options
    rebelsoul wrote: »
    Ten hours straight playing music and every hour sounding better. This switch is amazing. I watched a video on YouTube the guy that built it is a audiophile with ocd I knew then get it and it's amazing glad the other one is out till June.

I am glad to hear that your new toy has brought you better results. 1% here, 2% there....it all adds up to great sound. While some things may be incremental, when you add them all up, cumulatively, the end result as to what hits your ears can be a wonderful experience.

flziyk4bwccm.png

This is my latest tweak to extract more (or in this case, less). I have gathered some different metalurgies with connections and will start to build some custom grounding cables for the rig. Why? Because I am curious, is all. I have no clue as to whether or not this experiment will work or not but I'm willing to have a little bit of fun trying to lower the noise floor by grounding the components.

We'll see...time will tell.

Tom

• rebelsoul
    Options
    How do you do that do you have a drawing or something to follow ?
  • treitz3
    Options
    No sir.

What I am doing here is taking the chassis ground of each component and literally grounding it to a solid grounding point. If a component does not have a grounding point, I will make one (especially if I connect a temporary contact point and the noise floor lowers). Damned the consequences of modifying the gear.

My philosophy is preemptively striking at the very things the Shunyata Altair system strikes at. Ground the components. If that does not work, ground the signal.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/197669/shunyata-altaira-a-completely-new-grounding-system

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Plugged up the mini utopias to the big rig

8ds82m54x2qx.jpg

Damn, what a long road you have come from (page 2 of this thread). Wow!

Tom
  • VR3
    Options
    Those trees definitely didn't survive my wife.