What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Installed some NOS 6DJ6 Amperex tubes on my Bottlehead phono pre today. Got them from Brent Jessee recording (same as the previous pair of 6922 Amperex tubes that were in that pre since 2017).

7ob1fq5pxb9a.jpg
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    You should try some nos late 50’s or early 60’s Amperex 7308’s sometime
  • halo
    dromunds wrote: »

My setup isn't stellar by any means. Just want something decent in there. Also trying to adhere to a budget...lol
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 747
    edited March 2023

Second the 7308
  • halo
    rebelsoul wrote: »

Second the 7308

Any suggestions on where to get them?
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Finally got around to putting the umbilical cord in between the Lumin X1 PS and the U1. Listened to two songs, not even broken in yet, and I am liking what I am hearing. This one is an Audio Sensibilities Signature Silver umbilical.

Time will tell but from the sounds of things so far? This is gonna be a treat.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    edited March 2023
    Pictures?

5 minute review?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    I texted you my initial thoughts but will refrain from any comments publicly until I get some more time with her. The initial sound was unexpected. I can definitely say that.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    Need pics for proof of existence
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,925
    The 7308s are very good, but pricey.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 989
    Took the Bluesound node from into the Oppo driving the amp to my Phase Linear preamp and all's well.
    Wife happy again :#
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 747
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    The 7308s are very good, but pricey.

But there the best of the best
  • treitz3
    All I can say right now is that I freakin' love this hobby!

Tom
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 674
    treitz3 wrote: »
    All I can say right now is that I freakin' love this hobby!

Tom

I can't wait to get back to listening. My house is being repainted inside, so currently everything is boxed up for safe keeping until the painting project is done. I had an insulation company come and shoot foam into my exterior walls of my 300 year old house. It reduces the noise from cars racing up the hill in front of my house, and helps with the heating bill, too. Unfortunately, the insulation company had to drill holes at two feet, four feet and six feet from the floor between every wall stud to inject the foam, and that left my walls looking like swiss cheese. It's been a long process since I want to retain the appearance of the original plaster texture, but the end result will be worth the investment of time and funds. I hope...
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 674
    Wow! that's a substantial headshell! Looks heavy though.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 424
    I think it weighs about 35 grams all in. So, it's pretty hefty. Here's a pic of the arm...notice how far back the CWs are sitting.

sx1nka9areru.jpeg
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Sorry to learn the seller damaged the cabinet. Nice find though.

Awesome amp, btw!
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • VR3
    edited April 2023
    Awesome! You can tell they are quality. Late 90s was back when manufactures were making speakers that actually sounded like music!
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 424
    jbreezy5 wrote: »
    Awesome amp, btw!

Thanks! I've been thinking that I could sell it to make some $$$ and downsize to a reasonably sized amp...then I make the mistake of putting it back in the system and my plan doesn't seem quite as brilliant.
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    Nice looking amp
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    engie490 wrote: »
    I picked up a pair of Unity Audio Pyramid Signature Fountainhead speakers for $200. One mid had separated from the surround. Spent $50 on getting that professionally repaired. So $250 investment for speakers that went for $5600 in the late 90s.

These are the ones with cabinets made of corian. Apparently that wasn’t dense enough, because they also have the Microscan devices on the back of each.

These were very filthy when I got them, so I had to clean lots of dirt/dust from the drivers and cabs. The microscan devices I put in the dishwasher and they came out great.

The genius that I purchased these from decided to get a picture of the bass driver in the bottom of one of the speakers, so he flipped it upside down on his driveway. You can see what happened to the top of the cabinet.

22631ucjglz2.jpeg
    7w0waylabeyd.jpeg
    l3pgwgovzu5p.jpeg
    nxynqg2y42oj.jpeg

Now have them in the main rig. Wow do they sound good! Wide, deep soundstage. Lovely tone. Bass is really good and plentiful. Tone is beautiful. In other words, very musical.

Very cool speakers. Corian is very repairable. A quick google will get the top of that speaker lookin great!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • treitz3
    You have a great wife, if I do say so myself sir.

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited April 2023
    Wardsweb wrote: »

rjiekomxrwea.jpg

That is a sexy piece of kit!
    I want it and I do not have one album!