Game of Thrones

Options

Comments

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Same director as the "Battle of the B@st@rds" episode. They made it well known then that he tried to draw the audience into the chaos and "feeling" of a true battle.

Make you feel like you were living it with Snow.

He went for the same thing last night. Dark, confusing and hard to keep up with. If you felt anxious, confused and stressed, then it was exactly what he wanted you to feel.

It was a great episode IMO. It does seem like some more key characters should have died. However, I'm assuming whoever is left it is for a very good reason and they still have a part to play.

They did an awesome job setting the pace and making you feel connected to the characters feelings. An AWESOME job giving enough time between last seeing Arya to basically forgetting all about her as you're so caught up in Dany, John, Theon and Bran that she can truly pop out of nowhere to take down someone that always seems to have a plan that's three steps ahead of everyone else. Arya is always the one that nobody notices, nobody expects, nobody planned for. Just when you're feeling pretty proud of yourself, she is there to take you down.
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    Options
    I was expecting to see a headless Ned emerge from the crypt.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    I’m not sure if I’m lucky or just knew to have all ambient lights off or if my setup is that good, but the quality of the picture was amazing. Yes dark, but no subtle details were lost. Maybe a little to realistic for some in a night battle? IDK
    But that last kill scene when Arya killed the Night king was brilliant. No Snow, or Dani or anyone else. Had to be her.
    Best episode yet I agree with @recoveryone

it was brutal...had to keep pausing i as I couldn't handle watching it Sunday night... I am such apus....anyways Joe you hit it straight on...

I only wish they took more time to do a head count...not sure what all happened?

I felt Episode 2 was so much needed before the storm....we all knew this was coming... I say what hit me the Hardest but it would be a spoiler and I can not go there....(hint Bear island)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,607
    Options
    I love Arya. She's been my favorite character since season 1.

However, I tend to agree with this article I just read. That sex scene with Gendry felt unnecessary and forced. https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a27220100/arya-stark-gendry-game-of-thrones-season-8-sex-scene/
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I love Arya. She's been my favorite character since season 1.

However, I tend to agree with this article I just read. That sex scene with Gendry felt unnecessary and forced. https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a27220100/arya-stark-gendry-game-of-thrones-season-8-sex-scene/

Maybe they want to make sure that we see her as a woman now and not the little girl from season 1?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    And maybe she’s now got inside her the statement by King Robert to Ned: “You have a daughter; I have a son; we should join our houses.” Future king even though it would be a bastage?
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    And maybe she’s now got inside her the statement by King Robert to Ned: “You have a daughter; I have a son; we should join our houses.” Future king even though it would be a bastage?

Unless Gendry was legitimized and was therefore no longer considered a b@st@ard...

Almost nothing happens by accident in this show. Arya and Gendry just became serious contenders to rule if Dany and Jon don’t make it.

Personally, I think Dany dies first. Jon legitimizes Gendry, probably on his “death bed”

It was no mistake that Gendry ignored Davos and told Jon who his father was on Dragonstone. It was not purposeful and his intent, but it does set the stage.
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    Options
    With 2 of the Northen houses down with no leader, I could see Gendry and Arya given rule over those lands.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    For those expecting more of a death toll, consider that the entire Dothraki army was wiped out...remember the fading lights of their swords in the distance...and most/all(?) of the Unsullied army is gone. Dany doesn't have much of an army left now best I can tell, which makes her (and all of them) very vulnerable to Cersei's army.

One review comment I read, and tend to agree with, is how odd it seems that killing the Night King wiped-out the whole bunch. The 'rule' was that killing a Night Walker only killed those that they had resurrected. I didn't get the impression that the Night King had created all his Night Walker lieutenants. I thought Night Walkers had to be created individually, and hadn't simply been resurrected like the Walking Dead Army, but I guess the NK created them all?

Once this series is over, maybe the prequel series will clear some of it up...a few years from now.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    Options
    did sam kill anything?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • dromunds
    Options
    Artistic license. Lol. Actually, I do seem to remember several times in past episodes where Samwell Tarley, Jon or maybe others have commented that if they kill the NK everyone would die, but I don't remember where that came from - I seem to remember Samwell read it somewhere at the Citadel, I don't know how anyone would know it. I could be wrong, and I'm going off memory so I don't recall exactly what they said as far as whether it was the "everyone" would die, or the "army of the dead" would die. Anyway, its a good distinction you raise and probably explained by artistic license.
  • dromunds
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    did sam kill anything?

He was stabbing like a madman at one point, but he had killed several undead in between episodes of his little freak-outs. Last I remember seeing him he was on top of a big pile of dead stabbing wildly and then he just sort of was on top of a pile of dead staring off into space as if he felt the end had come. I thought he was toast but he seems to have survived, as he must because he hasn't explained what's in those books he cobbed from the Citadel.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    When Jon and crew went up North to capture a wight to show Cersei one of them, they killed a White Walker and all the dead but one were dusted. They figured from that, that killing the "maker" killed those they resurrected.

Of course, that doesn't mean they could be certain that the Night King created all of the other White Walkers. The Children of the Forest created the first WW, presumably he became the Night King. I thought that they created others as well, but maybe not.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Probably a domino effect. Kill the night king, his lieutenants die, and anyone they created die.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • jdjohn
    Options
    I was expecting more build-up to killing the Night King, where the humans would have to work their way up the chain of command. Ya know, to get to the NK, they have to go through a few lieutenants first. Let Jon use his kick-arse Valyrian-steel sword more. Oh well.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    I was expecting more build-up to killing the Night King, where the humans would have to work their way up the chain of command. Ya know, to get to the NK, they have to go through a few lieutenants first. Let Jon use his kick-arse Valyrian-steel sword more. Oh well.

I think the problem is the short season. Trying to pack too much into 6 episodes
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    You guys are taking away Arya’s glory?!!
    Was perfect end to an ever seemingly winless war IMO. Could have been Snow but that would have been predictable. Could have been Dany but then what? She and Snow fight for the throne?
    Perfect IMO
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    jdjohn wrote: »

I think the problem is the short season. Trying to pack too much into 6 episodes
    ^ I think you're right, Jim. "Let's wrap-up these dead bad guys, and move on to the living bad guys (or girl)." I mean, we all knew the walking dead would be destroyed one way or another.
    Was perfect end to an ever seemingly winless war IMO. Could have been Snow but that would have been predictable. Could have been Dany but then what? She and Snow fight for the throne?
    Perfect IMO
    No, not robbing her glory. Maybe have Jon take out a few lieutenants first, then just as the NK is about to finish Jon, Arya come in like she did. Or maybe even a little suffering first for the Night Walkers...ya know, bring the NK to his knees, see some bright-blue blood, THEN kill him. Instead, we had one huge epic battle scene, and then one quick stab...done.

Ok, I'll stop now :#
  • jdjohn
    Options
    On a lighter note, turns out that Ron Burgundy is big fan of GOT :D
    https://youtu.be/NXdbhs7a9iI
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Thats awesome Jody! made me laugh - good stuff
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    Options
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • joecoulson
    Options
    That was awesome - thanks Marv
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    By the way, this was pointed out in a Reddit post. Anyone notice the dagger used to kill the Night King was the same one that was given to the Lannisters to kill Bran in the first season? Nice little full circle effect there.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Great article on ALL the foreshadowing (intentional or not) that it'd be Arya delivering the death jab going all the way back to the very first episode of the very first season...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jennaguillaume/game-of-thrones-arya-stark-night-king-foreshadowing

Also, How the heck did that one viewer have such a well-lit picture of that scene in the viewer reactions video above (@ 8:16)?!? None of the others looked that good, nor did any TV in our house (including our 1080 Panny plasma...). Now that was better!

Here's an interesting way the series could have ended...

The dead skirt right around Winterfell, and take King's Landing by surprise. Cersei and Euron Greyjoy then lead the wights and defeat all as they march back north. After all, death always wins...
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    Options
    I'm in Spain this week and apparently everyone in this country is addicted to the show except for one taxi driver. It's the topic of every conversation. Opinion here is that Bran is really the Lord of Light and used or sacrificed everyone that died to lead the Knight King up to that very moment when Arya killed him. Light vs Dark theory that I can almost keep up with in my broken Spanish skills. Next Sunday I'm in Germany and don't think you can get HBO there but I'm not watching episode 5 on my dang phone. Avoiding the spoilers will be the hardest thing ever until I can get back home!
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    Options
    Perfect IMO

I'm not so sure. I luv Arya, hell of a kiss **** assassin, but this (the Dead) wasn't her war/battle. Heck, she was asking Gendry for Whyte info fer chrissakes! All the lead up in previous episodes, all the prophecy, all the Melissandra inclinations (never mind she was 'just a match stick' in this last episode - sad!!) pointed to Jon (or possibly Dany) taking out the Knight King, as the 'Prince that was promised.'

This guy, who I stumbled upon, makes some interesting points and plot deviations in the last season 7 episodes and this to make it all a better cohesive plot line in my estimation.

Heck, we won't even get in to the 'Horn of Winter' that Sam found at the Fist of the First Men, and what that could have meant to overthrow the NK.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSp4YwTsqB4&fbclid=IwAR0JNzi8SUH62Rin3pFHybKp7BWp561PN-2PcVllX1lCPC0hr2tHOBUTTFk&h=AT1r1i3Tn7le6dROLib9KIYbyWFufv3o2AjC8gF_Rq9Y2mONMqj3bzBR3E5K4-mIuP_WYif0KJXuUZKIWny_c_U3tpMa5PlrWFO6bAGW6lv6sn5ph-5BMip7RiGkfw-waXCTKnLor3aQsTXz9Vpy

2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    “The Prince/Princess who was promised” prophecy to end the Knight King also lends itself to Arya and probably Gendry sitting on the Iron Throne in the end...
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    I wasn't really surprised by anything in the episode tonight. The last one, next week, will be interesting.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Options
    I was thinking Cersei would put down Terrien.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,607
    Options
    halo wrote: »
    I wasn't really surprised by anything in the episode tonight. The last one, next week, will be interesting.

There's two more episodes to go in this season.