The curse of the Treitz, expanding a networking journey

Comments

• Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    Do you use the muon filter AND an EtherRegen? If with, muon before or after ER? Thanks!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Yes sir, I do. The Muon is the very last thing in the chain before it goes into the NAP.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    edited February 2023
    Here is what the actual filter looks like. Just plug an Ethernet cable in and plug the other side of the Muon into your NAP.

ojz9rft0m9uj.png

I can say that after about 20 hours, the sound is definitely not stabilized yet but it's already offering me slightly more than what I had with the Shunyata cables that have the filters on the cables themself. The combination of the two is very clean. Just as Trey did, I'll just let it play and come around Tuesday afternoon? Then I can sit down and really give it a good listen.

I also got new PS's for everything in the chain that did not have a PS, so this may be responsible for some of what I am now hearing but so far so good. I ended up going a different route than a LPS this time. I tried 2 of the iFi iPower Elite's. Apparently they offer less jitter/noise than a LPS, even though it is a switching PS. After seeing the measurements compared to a LPS? It was a no brainier to me. Again, so far, so good.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    So... 21 hour review?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • I am going down the same rabbit hole.
    First I have the Xfinity x-1 modem/ router with a 1 meter cheap cat 8 cable that started this journey. I am thinking lps for modem /router and for the cable box since on same circuit. From the router/modem a dh labs cat 8 reunion cable to the silent angel switch.then a dh labs to the muon filter to the ps audio perfect wave dac2 bridge 2. Any thoughts?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    If it feels good, do it.
  • ermdz8ozk40g.jpg
    Reimer tenton gs with upgraded caps silver wire upgraded speaker terminals. Ps audio perfect wave dac 2 bridge 2 and factory bat vk -120 monoblocks.
  • Using the perfect Wave dac as pre amp till I get a bat pre or a audio research reference 3
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    I'm currently running Supra Cat8 from the router to the ER, RAL ethernet from the ER to a Lumin U2 Mini w/Sbooster PSU, and RAL coax BNC from the Lumin to a Chord Qutest DAC w/Teradak LPS. Using the Lumin LEEDH and running the DAC directly to a Parasound A21. Everything but the amp runs to a PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator.
  • treitz3
    VR3 wrote: »
    So... 21 hour review?

I can see why you thought the switch made a bigger difference and was contemplating returning the Muon filter. Right now, bass got bloated, the highs are really high. Detailed but way out of balance. The bloom and air have all but disappeared and I can definitely tell where the speakers are.

If I didn't know what to expect later on down the road, I would probably be packing it up for a return. The break in period is strange with this unit. I see what you mean about the mids being recessed. It is kinda fun to pop in every once in a while to see what changes are happening. It's been all over the place since I hooked it up.

Tom
  • VR3
    The break in is like it's on hard drugs and is in the withdrawal stages
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Pretty much, Trey. If it's anything like the Shunyata Omega break in, the more things disappear....or rather the severity of what disappears (or gets bad), the better it ultimately bounces back and when it bounces back, it comes back with a vengeance. So basically, you want things to get messy or disappear during break in.

It kind of reminds me of the three day warm up of the Odyssey amp I had years ago. Day one, "okay" sound. Day two, horrid sound and imaging was all over the place. Day three, at some point within a very short span, the amp just snapped into place and the damned thing sounded wonderful. Day two was the worst. I didn't even listen at all on day two.

If we didn't have the lightning storms we do around here, I would have held on to that amp much longer than I did. I got tired of unplugging the rig and doing the three day warm up cycle again. That gets old, especially when there are summer storms that roll through often.

I just got an email from Brad. The umbilical cords should be shipped out on Monday. They have been on the cooker since this past Monday. Might have to go through a similar break in period with those as well.

At some point, I'd just like to sit back and listen again. BTW, I should be able to hook up the Lampizator tonight. I am at the point to where I can do this now. I figure that I might as well get that unit acclimated to the system as the Muon filter does its "thing".

Tom
  • Wait for 28 days and sound isn't amazing call and return. If you return I am not ordering. I am in aww since I got the Reimers tenton gs and the bat vk-120 .
  • I still need some great balanced XLR cables. Using monoprice premier 10 foot . So I have room there for improvement. But I wood like to get this steaming stuff perfectted first.
  • VR3
    Go ahead and order one, worth it!
  • treitz3
    I'm not saying that I am returning it. I made the comment that I now understand why, at one point, Trey wanted to return his. I can say with complete confidence that Trey will not be returning his. There is a 90% chance that I won't be returning mine, after hearing his system with it fully broken in.

If I didn't hear Trey's Muon? I'd say that right now, there would probably be a 90% chance that I would be returning it.....based upon what I am currently experiencing.

Tom
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I felt the same way about my ENO filter for several weeks.

After my latest ethernet cable upgrade, the path is now as follows: xfinity modem/router > Supra Cat8 (8m) > D-Link switch > Supra Cat8 (0.5m) > ENO filter > Innuos Zen Mk2 > Supra USB > Benchmark DAC3/HGC > DIY XLR* > Benchmark HPA4 preamp.

* DIY XLR are Furez cable with Vampire Wire plugs.

The only thing in this chain I'm considering possibly changing is to get an RTR ladder DAC - some flavor of either Denafrips, or Holo Audio. I exerted a lot of self-control not pulling the trigger on that last week :)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Sounds good guess I am on the right track.
  • VR3
    ANK Jody, ANK!
  • jdjohn
    Angst, Trey, angst! Sorry, that is always the first thing that pops in my head :D
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    You will have no angst with an ank!
  • jdjohn
    Would I go limp with a Lampizator?
  • VR3
    I think you could pull off limp bizkit then
  • jdjohn
    That's always been my dream.
  • VR3
    Man when the muon is on its on!

https://youtu.be/TVtqfQtaHYU

What a fantastic song!

eaq8i6za7jvd.jpg
  • treitz3
    rebelsoul wrote: »
    Wait for 28 days and sound isn't amazing call and return. If you return I am not ordering. I am in aww since I got the Reimers tenton gs and the bat vk-120 .

Dude...get the Muon of choice (what you can afford) and don't look back. There is no need. Last night, it started opening up and I got what I lost. Overnight, things started getting layered.

MUCH better presentation this morning and even though I (in theory, based upon what I heard on Trey's system)?

I still have another two days of break in. I usually do not recommend something that isn't broken in yet but mark my words.....you will NOT be disappointed.

Just don't bother to listen in the first 4 days.

Tom
  • VR3
    Tommy boy likey
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I am following this (barely) trying to figure out if it will even work for me. I have internet through my phone company. I have a single telephone wire ( from outside) going into a single modem(wireless router). I'm assuming, because I don't know crap about how this all works, a modem takes the encrypted phone signal and converts it into a usable internet access point. Then the built-in Wi-Fi router sends and receives wireless signals from my devices ( basically a couple of phones and a couple of laptops and my Gustard X26 pro DAC).

So what is wrong with this setup? My DAC is the furthest device and it's maybe 20' away my nearest neighbor is a quarter mile away so I shouldn't be getting any interference from them. When I listen to music there is only one device using the router. My laptop and it's hooked up to the DAC via a USB cable.

Could you all dumb it down for me please?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • VR3
    So the idea behind this device in combination of a switch is once the signal leaves your router, it is leaving a busy intersection so speak. In my case at my house I have close to 40 devices shared between my mesh access points.

So I hardwire out of the access point to a switch which then sends the signal back out and the muon filter system then cleans it up and removes any rfi EMI etc...

So the question is, would a mesh system, switch and muon filter system more effective at this then what your gustard is doing with the wifi signal it receives.

I know everyone talks about 1s and 0s but this muon system definitely makes changes that are extremely. Noticeable. When you first plug it in your system becomes almost unlistenable and over the next 120 or so hours it bounces between amazing and terrible until it starts to settle.

Thwre are songs I've been listening to decades that I truly have reexperienced with this configuration.

Last night sounded so good I actually listened to the whole breaking Benjamin saturate album and it's recorded terribly... But it honestly sounded awesome last night, super fun!

The investment is large but the payout is good! Great benefits to cleaning up the incoming signal to the streamer.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    So I would gain nothing essentially because you have 40 cars at a busy 4 way intersection with no stop signs whereas I have one car on a one way street in a small town on a Sunday when everything is closed. I think. :s
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus