The curse of the Treitz, expanding a networking journey

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    Options
    erniejade, I agree on the RALs, and can say his digital coax is just as good
    I'd still like to hear what Tom and Trey say about their systems with only the Muon (ER out)
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,313
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    If that does to your system what it did to Trey's and mine? You are gonna LOVE that thing!

Tom

I am hoping to extract that last little bit with it. The way you two make it sound, it might do more then that.
    I have had the EtherREGEN for a couple years now and the TeraDak power supply. Recently i canged the umbilical cable from the EtherREGEN to the TeraDak with one of Brad's RAL cables and, it did make a difference over the stock cable.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Power over ethernet receive their power from the source component.

i.e., a poe switch would receive power from the router.
    Typical PoE devices are security cams, which get their power via ethernet cable from a PoE switch, which also handles the data. This is clearly more efficient than the cams having a separate power supply. The power comes from the PoE switch, not a router. PoE switches can have either AC or DC power supplies.

I came across a (cheap) PoE switch that has an AC power supply. Here are pics:
    nfa5t81n1kjx.jpg
    p0xwk2d5nlq7.jpg
    You can see that it utilizes an AC power source...FWIW. I have it placed at the end of a ~25ft ethernet cable run, and before an ENO ethernet filter. My previous ethernet switch at that spot was a cheap D-Link model, powered by a wall-wart. The PoE switch weighs a pound of two, whereas the D-Link switch weighs ounces...again, FWIW.

Although I haven't done any hard comparisons yet between the two switches, the PoE switch certainly did not disappoint during initial testing. In fact, it made me furrow my brow a bit upon initial listening...as in, 'am I hearing the improvement that I *think* I am hearing?'. More to come, but food for thought is: does a PoE switch perform sufficient signal isolation for a manageable price?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,311
    Options
    Jody, the one thing Trey and I have learned when it comes to NAP's? Everything affects everything.

Everyone is at their own level/budget. Every system is different. Every noise/jitter situation is different. There are SO many variables in this equation that what works superbly for one, may only be a subtle change for another in their system.

Trust your ears. For it is your ears that led Trey and I to the Muon filter. From that (unbenounced to you), your suggestion to Trey has resulted in 2 confirmed sales here on this forum and over 5 confirmed sales on other forums. So far, everyone but one has chimed back in and stated that they are "very" satisfied (at the least) with what they are hearing. During the chatter here and elsewhere, others who have already purchased the filter have chimed in confirming that it is truly an outstanding product.

You, sir.....well, you caused a chain reaction. A "Domino" effect, if you will.

And it was all because you suggested and offered your observations on a Muon ENO.

Yes, we all blame you. ;)

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited March 2023
    Options
    D a m N you Jody and your far reaching influence!!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    From that (unbenounced to you), your suggestion to Trey has resulted in 2 confirmed sales here on this forum

Correction. Make that 3 confirmed sales on this forum. (So far)

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    Options
    Could be more. Would still like to know if best result is adding to or replacing the ER.
  • treitz3
    Options
    I will try my best to give you the results today.

Hang loose...

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    I was out mowing the lawn when I responded earlier. Glad I did because the rain just now started. I have some friends coming over in a little bit to audition the rig and after that, I should have the time to do it.

I don't want to disturb anything with the rig until they get a chance to hear it, as it *may* change things.

I believe (haven't really thought about it or looked at it yet) that I can simply take the AD master clock out of the equation and test it without that, then lose the ER, then lose the Muon Pro. I'll take notes with each loss and then add them all back in.

Tom
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Tom/Trey
    I've skimmed this thread fairly thoroughly, yet I have a Q
    My rig is fairly simple and I want to keep it that way

Muon products are discounted 10% for the next few days and I am eye balling the Muon Pro and cable approx a $2400 investment

MUST I have a switch?

As is . . . rig sounds great with the Baltic.

present connection . . . . ethernet in to Lumin U1 Mini > into Lampi Baltic

Adding the Muon puts the Lampi on the receiving end of the Muon Pro? Correcta MUNDO?

Thanks
    Post edited by GlennDog on
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    I am using the netgear s8000, cost me a hundy and seems to work perfect!

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    You know it's my first time seeing this thread but I do want to note something very interesting:

I listened to "Sing 2 soundtrack - I still haven't found what I am looking for" as Trey mentioned in his original post from January 19th and even on my Sennheiser HD559 with the blu-tac and felt pad mods, with Spotify as the streaming service, on my PC using the front panel audio jack and an unshielded in-wall ethernet cable, I'm able to discern the same details Trey initially outlined in his post.

I was curious and so i decided to play around and I brought my headphones downstairs and just used my Onkyo AVR and the sound was beyond significantly better. The Onkyo is literally being supplied by an old Fire Stick that's slower than anything and it's all through WiFi.

Ironically my computer has a better DAC than my Onkyo does and the Onkyo has dirtier power supplied to it, along with the fact that the internet supply to my Onkyo is objectively inferior on every metric. All streams were through Spotify at 320Kbps (lossy).

Seems I have some playing around to do. I'm confused.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Glenn, you are correct. A switch isn't "needed" for the Muon Pro to work.

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    Damn, I still owe @Dr_Wu his response. I am once again, time limited.

Please hit me up next weekend, if you haven't heard from me.

Tom
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Dang, I just read through all this for the 1st time.

To think I am just getting by with an Intel Wireless AC card in my thin client.. sheese. I should be embarrassed, but I'm not 😋

No ethernet cabling anywhere near my 2-ch system and I don't feel like drilling through the floor.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,426
    Options
    Lol, see, @billbillw? Shoulda stuck with the blue pill!
    I disabled signatures.
  • billbillw
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Lol, see, @billbillw? Shoulda stuck with the blue pill!

I'm not making any changes. My wifi is very strong and stable.
  • treitz3
    Options
    For those who do not have the budget for a Muon Pro or the Muon? NA will will be launching ENO2 in March/April and this will be a big step up from the original ENO using our latest filtering technology, according to NA.

Tom
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »

Word for word? I'm impressed! I did the Evelyn Wood Speed Reading technique.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • billbillw
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »

Probably a bit of skimming over minutia...definitely not word for word.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »

Probably a bit of skimming over minutia...definitely not word for word.

Lossy compression applied.
    :)

(JK -- as they say)
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 756
    Options
    Running a lhy sw-10 switch with a seperate lhy 10 mhz clock and a muon pro . And all I could say is wow .