MagniFi Max SR - Surrounds Popping (despite software updates)

Comments

• I’m using the SR1 speakers.
  • rh007
    rh007 Posts: 26
    I am now using the React soundbar with the react sub and SR2 rear speakers. There is no strange noise, no creaking or anything like those made by the SR1. I wish the SR2s were compatible with the magnifi max, because these speakers really work well. from here I ask the Polk technicians to make an update so that the Sr2 can work with the magnifi max, it would be perfect. The React bar has a very good sound, but having less power you have to turn up the volume more, if with the magnifi max I used to set the volume to 20 with the React you have to set it to 40 to make it similar.
  • rh007
    Everyone I’m pretty sure the popping is caused from the interference from our bodies. I used to have my rear speakers on the wall behind me. Now they are on stands next to my couch. No longer popping unless I move too close to a speaker.

In the end this was not a solution for me, we will have to look for other procedures to be able to solve these damn noises or interference from the rear speakers Sr1. a great pity that the SR2s are not compatible with the magnifi Max, because with the React bar the Sr2s do not cause any problems. but for power and sound quality I prefer the Magnifi max.
  • I have Magnifi Max with SR1 surrounds bought new only recently. My SR1s pop and crackle intermittently; have done since day 1. Now I lose audio completely if I try to adjust the volume via the Polk remote, my TV remote or on the sound bar itself. I have to power the sound bar down and back up to get audio back. Any suggestions? I’m thinking of sending the whole lot back and asking for a refund.
  • I recommend sending an email to: Kim.Jasper@soundunited.com and explain what is happening.
  • Having the same issues everyone else is having, version 136 nothing has changed waste of money
  • rh007
    I also have these problems, instead the react and magnifi 2 sound bars together with the SR2, do not have any problem, it would be interesting if the Sr2 could be compatible with the magnifi max, maybe the problem would be solved,
  • Ecliz
    Ecliz Posts: 40
    Upgrading to v136 solved all of my problems with pops
  • I have v136. But didn't solved any issues. Originally it was only subwoofer popping now in some cases surround also is making popping noise.
  • Ecliz wrote: »
    I tried that for my own, nothing changed.
  • I have to disagree with this "body interference" thing... I bought mine maybe a year ago or less and they've been popping in the surrounds since I got them. I DID buy the warranty because my Sharp soundbar started getting funky similarly. Ours are about 10ft off the floor stashed in alcoves on each side of the room. so our bodies are not close. I have noticed that they only crackle when the volume is maxed out. I have no issues with the sub. All that said, I am running on the 5ghz band and live out in the boonies. I am equally as disappointed because they were the most expensive speakers in the store. If I could change something other than the crackling, I would love to be able to eq them. They aren't very smooth. When they kick on, its like a megaphone. Fail. And yes, I still have my dx10 subwoofers from 2002 in my truck, and they still slam!
  • Ecliz wrote: »

Hi Ecliz,

Having this issue mostly on the right speaker as well. Not super familiar with soldering yet (just wires, not boards), or with this kind of electronics, or technical stuff in English which is not my primary language.

When you say 'the old wifi antenna', i suspect that you mean an old antenna unrelated to the Polk kit, that you recycled? will anything labeled as wifi antenna work? Need to purchase these separately, and would like to get the right ones.

Do you mean that you solder to the 2 triangle-shaped things on top? Would the direction matter in this case? left / right?
    When you say wire and braid: I guess the wire is obvious, but the braid is the meshlike shielding around the wire? Do all antenna's have this? I have never taken one apart.

A few pictures would help a lot.
  • Ecliz
    Hi Somebody.
    I took the Wi-Fi antennas from the old router. I've removed all the extra plastic. There was something similar to this (see picture).
    w632vo763h22.jpg
    I've soldered to the 2 triangle-shaped things. The direction doesn't matter (imho).
    The desired wire is indicated by the red arrow on the picture. It has a braid and an inner wire. You need to solder the inner wire to one "triangle" and the braid to the other (yes, the braid is the meshlike shielding around the wire). The antennas wires are usually set up like this.
    I think any similar antenna will do. The main thing is that it fits in the speaker case.
    Good luck
  • Ecliz
    You need not only wire but all antenna. See pic
    zle8cmm6ejhg.jpg
  • Malboer
    Malboer Posts: 1
    I'm about to buy a new sound bar. Has the problems with the popping sounds on the Max been solved or should i go for the MAGNIFI 2.
  • joesephK
    joesephK Posts: 50
    rh007 wrote: »
    I am now using the React soundbar with the react sub and SR2 rear speakers. There is no strange noise, no creaking or anything like those made by the SR1. I wish the SR2s were compatible with the magnifi max, because these speakers really work well. from here I ask the Polk technicians to make an update so that the Sr2 can work with the magnifi max, it would be perfect. The React bar has a very good sound, but having less power you have to turn up the volume more, if with the magnifi max I used to set the volume to 20 with the React you have to set it to 40 to make it similar.

It’s possible the volume ratio at different steps is different between the systems. for example I have to seemingly crank my Yamaha AVR pretty loud compared to most sound bars but pretty sure that’s just how the volume steps is designed. If that makes sense?

max volume on the AVR is much louder than max volume on my sound bar. Same with sound bars. some are designed to not get very loud in the first 50% but then exponentially get louder above 50%
  • ptarso
    ptarso Posts: 1
    AVALONFX wrote: »
    jgarcqnr0wiq.jpg
    gloci1vpmv9e.jpg
    Hi. How do you make this weld in the board? It seems it has a small screw in the center of each triangle, am I right??

• I bought this system complete with rear speakers in August 2021, and ever since new Iv had rear right side only slight pops / crackles. Iv done everything Polk have asked me and it does fix it for short period of time and them back to the pops / crackles.

Its now 2023 - is anyone still having these issues? cause to be honest, after spending this money starting to feel like wasted alot of money on this product.

• Hello, and sorry to learn of your frustrations. The wireless rear speakers communicate with the soundbar via RF, and other nearby wireless devices, including wireless routers, can cause communication errors resulting in pops/crackles. Relocating the wireless surround speakers or devices helps stabilize the connection.
  • LeeSoFL
    LeeSoFL Posts: 118
    Unbelievable that FIVE YEARS LATER, they're still suggesting the same course of action to eliminate SNAP, CRACKLES AND POPS. Having had one of the first off the line in Dec 2017, the pop was relentless, through a dozen attempts via software to correct it. Moving the speakers, moving the router, moving the microwave, moving the dog bed.... nothing corrected it. Good luck all you owners. Polk can't figure this out SIXTY MONTHS later. You know what they say about owning a boat.... two best days are the one you buy it and the one you sell it.
  • I have been battling Polk for years because of the popping noise in the surrounds. In the beginning they always told me to wait for an update. Then it gets past the warranty and they don't seem to want to help at all. I have saved every single complaint from every forum I can find. Including the complaints on here. It is now to the point where I feel the need to get a lawyer and file a class action lawsuit. If anyone is interested in teaming up with me on this. Find me on Facebook. My name is Blake Biellier.
  • Any class action law suits pending? F Polk.
    My Sr max POS has always made extra noises
    Crutchfield “power cycle it” BS
    Can anyone recommend a sound bar / bass/ speakers that works?
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,450
    I forwarded your post to a friend at Polk and he can help solve the problem. Send your name, address, email address, telephone number to: Kim.Jasper@masimo.com and he will upgrade your soundbar.
  • LeeSoFL
    LeeSoFL Posts: 118
    edited March 2023
  • Something to consider is if you are using LED lights in your light fixtures. LED light can interfere with RF signals. I had my Left speaker about 2 feet away from an LED light and was getting cracking. I moved it about 3 feet away and so far I haven't heard any more cracking.
  • snbasson
    snbasson Posts: 1
    I am on firmware version 136 of Polk Magnify Max SR. I receive constant crackling on rear left speaker which is quite annoying . Pls help. My soundbar is connected to my fibre router via a LAN cable . I was told that updates will thus occur automatically without any input from my side. Is this true?
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,450
    Let me refer this to some friends at Polk for you.