MagniFi Max SR - Surrounds Popping (despite software updates)

Comments

• pitdogg2 wrote: »
    henninge wrote: »
    There are no POPs in the surround speakers, but there are definitely crackles n them. Can't believe it's almost a year into this product and it doesn't work perfectly yet. Just tired of the failures

And blowing up every sound bar thread.... that's the ticket.

Actually ”the ticket” would be a product that works perfectly after almost a year, proper (or any) response from there customer service department, or compensation, or refund, or extend the warranty once the product does finally work perfectly.

Don't think any of the above is unreasonable
  • Which number of software do you have?
  • Ecliz
    Ecliz Posts: 40
    aro007 wrote: »
    Which number of software do you have?
    Almost all users including henninge use v103
  • hardi4
    hardi4 Posts: 1
    edited December 2018
    Hello! I have bought MagniFi Max SR and I have tried absolutely everything how to connect my TV with soundbar, but it's still making popping sound when music is not playing and people are only speaking. I even replaced the subwoofer and soundbar but still nothing. One thing is strange that when I take my soundsystem to another home, approx 1 km away, but there it plays perfectly, even in the store when I replaced sw and soundbar it was all ok.
    Post edited by hardi4 on
  • Hello,
    Send an email to: [email protected] he should be able to help.
  • Bagi
    Bagi Posts: 8
    Hello,
    can you give a feedback, if Kim Jasper could fix your problem?
    I bought the soundbar, but return after a few days, because of the popping sub and rears.
    I thought it depends on the quality of the tv source?
  • Ecliz
    Bagi, maybe you can write to him about this problem?
    Polk must understand that this is a massive problem.
  • It's mean nothing change. Still this same issue. :/
  • Bagi
    I wrote Kim Jasper a mail and he just answered me, that this issues is fixed with the software update v103.
    Does anyone can confirm his statement?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    I'm just guessing here, but those of you experiencing these noises should try connecting to the TV's input that isn't ARC. I have a feeling that may have something to do with it. Worth a shot anyway.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • 12/15/19 I purchased a polk magnifi max soundbar from bestbuy, had to return it due to the subwoofer making a popping sound, I exchanged it for another one but reading these comments, has me scared due to it's a known problem for the polk magnifi max, so maybe I should've got my money back due to polk not fixing the problem.
  • Bagi
    tonyb wrote: »
    I'm just guessing here, but those of you experiencing these noises should try connecting to the TV's input that isn't ARC. I have a feeling that may have something to do with it. Worth a shot anyway.

I connected the tv via optical and had the same problem. Perhaps it depends on the quality of the television connection? I had these problems with cable tv.

But I'm not sure, if I had the latest version (v103). Did anyone know, when it was released?
  • Ecliz
    The problem does not depend on the type of connection. I tried all connections - HDMI (arc), Optical, Bluetooth, AUX. No difference. It still crackles.
  • Ecliz
    Guys, I bought one more Polk MaxSR.
    I bought it specifically to check if my old one is broken or not
    I laughed for a long time when I heard crackles and noises again.
    Bagi wrote: »
    I wrote Kim Jasper a mail and he just answered me, that this issues is fixed with the software update v103.
    Does anyone can confirm his statement?
    Hahaha. I heard the same thing from Ken Carter. He said that I am the only one with this problem.
    Trust your ears, not what the Polk says.
    The problem this crackles is on all devices. It makes no sense to change them to new ones and hope for success...Until the Polk fixes it.
    P.S. Firmware version 103
  • kimin
    kimin Posts: 9
    Firmware 103 does help but does not fix the problem.
  • Miotch
    Miotch Posts: 2
    Bought system as "factory refurbished" about a six weeks ago. About three weeks after using it, started to get the chirping out of the right surround speaker. Always the right. Gets really bad sometimes and no problem other times. So finally got Google Home and connected soundbar to wifi. Showing v.103 firmware. Gonna see what happens and decide quickly if going to keep it or not. Very good system when it works correctly. Haven't really noticed any pops or crackles. Just the chirping. Which is kind of annoying (and really annoying to my wife).
  • I’m literally having the same experience as Miotch. Bought mine refurbished from Polk as well. Worked great for a day or two. Now it randomly crackles in the right speaker. I’m using the optical input. I have the latest firmware. When it’s working properly, it sounds great. But that crackle, really unacceptable and pulls you out of the movie. My 4 year old Vizio, while not sounding as good as the Polk, never had problems with the wireless surrounds. Hope they fix this quickly!!!!
  • Ecliz
    It's right. Almost always the right rear speaker crackles.
  • Ecliz
    I tried to record crackles and popping.
    (Once again I remind you that popping appears only in moments of silence, when nothing is transmitted on the rears)
    Crackles.mp3
    Popping 1
    Popping 2
    Popping is not the best, but it's harder to "catch" on the record than the crackles
  • I’m wondering how people have their back surrounds set up. Maybe there is something we all have in common. It seems like not everyone that buys this system is having the chirping/popping problem. But there are people who have bought and exchanged it numerous times and still have the chirping or popping. Seems like there might be something in our setup or environment.

Here’s my setup:
    1. Rear speakers are about 15 feet from the subwoofer and sound bar.
    2. My subwoofer doesn’t have any pops or crackles and is located right next to my entertainment center.
    3. Rear speakers are plugged into one extension cord that goes into one outlet. No surge protector. They are up about 12 feet the wall.

I’m wondering if the distance between the sound bar and rear surrounds has anything to do with the crackles... or maybe the line of sight... I don’t know.
  • MOz
    MOz Posts: 9
    edited January 2019
    Hello all. UK user here. I have recently bought a “factory refurbished” unit and over the past few days had zero noises from the sub, but crackling has started in the surround speakers. Weirdly, this is mainly from the RH surround speaker but also from the left (my sofa seat is the RH one, the wife’s is the left!!!).

Reading through this is interesting. Someone earlier suggested that it seemed the crackles came due to subtle changes in audio output (mine crackles when the sound is quiet and maybe has just dialogue) which I think I agree with.

My sub is fine and works. It’s also right next to the tv unit and bar. My surrounds are quite close (probably no more than 10ft from the bar at the furthest (LH SR speaker).

I’m not sure what Firmware ver I have as when a I got the unit, Google home connection suggested it needed an update BUT that update failed and I haven’t tried it again since.

Edit: I have 103 and having re-connected to google home it appears no update is required. I assume 103 is the latest?

It’s such a shame as the setup and sound quality aside from this is excellent. I’ll keep an eye on this forum and see if there is any progress.

POLK!!! Are you on here? Please work with your loyal global customers!!!
    Post edited by MOz on
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    Not that you will see this until I'm let out of polk prison, which I'm in for a completely unjustified reason.

Good luck with that.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• MOz
    LeeSoFL wrote: »
    If you connect soundbar to router by wire, it will update without needing the (very twitchy) Google Home app.

Will it do it automatically on plugging in an Ethernet cable
    Or do you need to do something to sort it?

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    The guy hasn't been here since November.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Ecliz
    edited January 2019
    secretgman wrote: »
    I’m wondering how people have their back surrounds set up. Maybe there is something we all have in common. It seems like not everyone that buys this system is having the chirping/popping problem.
    During use, I checked MaxSR under different conditions (from the position of the rears/soundbar/Sub to the moving all system in a full "vacuum" (a place where there are no Wifi or BT signals). No results. And do not forget - I tried two different MaxSR.
    = = = = =
    I think the problem is that many users simply do not hear (or do not want to hear) the crackles. Or do not consider this as a sufficient reason for a refund or a bad review.
  • Ecliz- Thanks for doing the full “vacuum” experiment! That was my next step. I think you’re right, people might just have their surrounds turned way low or just don’t hear it. I bought mine through Polk’s EBay store so I figured I’d warn any potential buyers of enjoying a Jeminy Cricket voice-over during movies. Had I known I would have gone with something else even though the price was excellent. I gotta assume they’ll do another update if enough people complain. Just can’t believe they’re selling these like this.
  • Ecliz
    edited January 2019
    Sorry for my English. He is far from perfect ;)
    secretgman, If each individual copy was defective, the replacement would be help for all of us. What is the probability of getting a second defective? Almost zero. But each of us who replaced his MaxSR got the same problems again.
    If something has an effect from outside (for example Wifi or location of rears) then changing these conditions would have the desired effect. But nothing will change until Polk starts working on it.
    At this moment I fully agree with MOz :
    MOz wrote: »
    POLK!!! Are you on here? Please work with your loyal global customers!!!
  • Yep, totally agree! You would think the moderator for this forum would hop on and let us know their plans for the next firmware update... and maybe test it for a week to make sure it works.
  • MOz
    Not sure if this helps but I watched an hour of BBC TV on Sky Q last night (episode 2 of The Informer recorded in Oct) with no issues whatsoever. Sound and surround was perfect. I personally think speaker placement and what audio the system is trying to decode MUST make a difference.
  • Ecliz
    By changing the position of the rears, you cannot improve the situation. BUT !!! You can make it worse. In this post I wrote about it.
    If it's not difficult for you, do a simple experiment for me.
    Place the rear in the corner of the room (as shown in the picture) and stand as close as possible to it while playing some video. I am sure you will hear a strong crackle.