Billet RD-0194/8 tweeter plate design.

Comments

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Very nice work xschop!
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    edited August 2020
    Thank you, it's been a worthwhile journey updating and improving these classic Polk's. The top and bottom edges are not that far from the baffle after all. I may go the further step on my modded 5B's to include the slight angles (calculated 6°) to really update the aesthetics.

For the dome/coil wire I simply taped 1/4" wide piece of electrical tape to diaphragm. Simple and effective.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    xschop wrote: »
    The tweeter throat matches factory angle 100%...

ld8knm3vozhl.jpg

rzah9lkwyggn.jpg

74wg0vslbzaz.jpg

B E A Utiful! WOW!
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • xschop
    edited August 2020
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Upon further inspection, those lip edges are also there to ensure the plastic fascia doesn't detach from the baffle. I'm going to radius off another 0.020" leaving 0.025" thick lip. This will still be @ 50x stronger than the factory plastic, and the stainless setscrews will set perfectly flush or a tad under....

6qcgog3ylbar.jpg

That is crazy cool! Beautiful work.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Nesmith98
    Nesmith98 Posts: 213
    Looking good. It's a labor of love for sure. I know too well how much time you have invested in this.

It would be cool to duplicate the "polkaudio" lettering in that radial pattern around the center.
  • xschop
    Laser etching would look spiffy in black.
  • Nesmith98
    Nesmith98 Posts: 213
    Laser etch would look great, or a small ball endmill that follows the radial surface.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    That mid phase plug looks added
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited August 2020
    Those things are tricked out! I vote for Zebrawood Veneer (that kinda black). Sound impressions?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    That mid phase plug looks added

Surely cleans up vocals and some instruments...

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/190301/phase-plug-design-for-mw65xx/p1
  • xschop
    Upon further inspection, those lip edges are also there to ensure the plastic fascia doesn't detach from the baffle. I'm going to radius off another 0.020" leaving 0.025" thick lip. This will still be @ 50x stronger than the factory plastic, and the stainless setscrews will set perfectly flush or a tad under....

6qcgog3ylbar.jpg

That is crazy cool! Beautiful work.

Thank you WMG. Means a lot coming from a Polk veteran as yourself. You and F1 are an invaluable asset to the community here with your knowledge and experiences.
  • xschop
    I'm not sure how long it takes for caps to burn in, but so far the sound is excellent and balanced with no errant resonating.

Also I went to do a weight comparison, but my cheap Harbor Freight gram scale went out. I would say these are 3 to 4 times heavier than factory plastic ones.
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Ready to put the orders in ? :p 18
  • xschop
    ptrooper wrote: »
    Ready to put the orders in ? :p 18

You have 3 sets of 2.3TLs? lol.

I'm sending out a set for a nice set of 2.3Tl's. Can't wait to see them myself.
  • xschop
    edited August 2020
    Last tidbit detail. I machined the coil lead channels to accommodate any common 1/2" wide electrical tape.(White tape used as reference) Simply snip 1.25" lengths for each side and place over wire lead while slightly overlapping silk dome fabric.....

cx9dl0m81ag9.jpg

ndm779au8o95.jpg

dex321e0qnh0.jpg

• Gardenstater
    What a labor of love, as they say! Did you do the flycutting yet or try that yet?
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    edited August 2020
    No, I just pulled this one out to do the tutorial lol. My caps will never be burned in hehe.
    Looks like this batch will be gone with a set of SRS

I'll build a 6° jig when I get time. As for now I'm enjoying the new look and new sound.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    Incredible workmanship!! I'm really looking forward to owning a set for my 1.2tl's.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Incredible attention to detail!! Perfection!!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Have you considered doing a similar design for the SL1000? The RD-0194 is the replacement for it, however the SL1000 faceplate is substantially smaller.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • xschop
    It can be done. The design limitation, is the fact that SL-1000 cabinet router depths are more shallow than the SL2000 and RDO depths, if achieving a curved bezel. A flat plate is easy to do, just need to drill for RDO magnets.

Also the SL1000 and SL2000 magnet bolts are 41mm on square as opposed to 39mm for RDO

• xschop
    Looking back at some of the old posts, a worthwhile mod would be to make an SL1000 plate with the factory RD0- throat angle incorporated?
  • Gardenstater
    edited August 2020
    I'm thinking you could make a curved bezel mounting plate with the RD0 throat angle and all, for folks who want to replace their SL1000's and SL2000's with the RD0194, but don't want to have to route out their cabinets or modify the plastic bezels of the RD0194's. If the router cutout depth is deeper for the SL2000 equipped speakers, perhaps you could have an adapter shim of the required thickness for those folks.

PS: Or simply make two different thicknesses.
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    edited August 2020
    I'm thinking you could make a curved bezel mounting plate with the RD0 throat angle and all, for folks who want to replace their SL1000's and SL2000's with the RD0194, but don't want to have to route out their cabinets or modify the plastic bezels of the RD0194's. If the router cutout depth is deeper for the SL2000 equipped speakers, perhaps you could have an adapter shim of the required thickness for those folks.

PS: Or simply make two different thicknesses.

The SL2000s have same mounting dimension as RD0

I just looked at some old posts of mine and others. These plates fit left and right. The top or bottom needs about 1/8" trim to fit SL1000, but will need @ .080" fly cut from bottom face to get it close to enclosure.