What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• ZLTFUL wrote: »
    I decided to make a bunch of Mercury vapor this evening with mine.

7i61b7nl2fzl.jpeg

You mentioned floor lamps in a post after this one. I spotted the lamps in this picture and really liked them. Are these floor lamps?
    Harry

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    I decided to make a bunch of Mercury vapor this evening with mine.

7i61b7nl2fzl.jpeg

You mentioned floor lamps in a post after this one. I spotted the lamps in this picture and really liked them. Are these floor lamps?
    Harry

Negative. Those are LED desk lamps that I got several years ago when I worked for the USDA. They were remodeling the office and were throwing those out. I managed to get 2 desk lamps and a power supply but have no idea what brand or model they are.

I removed them from their weighted bases and put them on rolled pins that I mounted into the rear legs of my stand. They can move around on the pins while the arms can also be moved up or down and the lamp itself can be moved pretty much in any direction.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • txcoastal1 wrote: »
    rebelsoul wrote: »
    4 gold lion kt-88
    1-gold lion 12ax7
    2- 6SN7 Raytheon

What tube integrated did you install these in

7sztgz18zpq3.jpg
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited December 2019
    Cool Jolida 801

I have one of those, if you want or need a little more bass, try The Lion 6550's

Here's mine at LSAF

uv0uuwooa5hm.jpg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    lightman1 wrote: »
    a4qk858aylre.jpg

Put the 1C into play. Good times!

Nice! Which do you prefer? The Ushers or the SDA's?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Where are those heavily modified black piano finish SDA 1C's you bought from me? I thought you'd have those hooked up...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    I believe those are in alaska
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    NICE picture! B):p
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • jk7jwliu4jy9.jpg

Finally broke down and installed the new old stock MW6500 black basket woofer in my 7B, that I got on eBay a while back. Living dangerously playing Dark Side Of The Moon and Pipe Organ Music lol. I will JB Weld the magnet very soon. Sounds slightly brighter than the original silver basket one in the left speaker. Bass is improved slightly overall. Great to have no more little distortions that were plaguing me! Maybe it needs to be broken in. Happy New Year.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Tony M
    At around 7:30 to 8:30 or later, I cranked the old JVC and RTA12B's up loud enough for me ( around 90dbs or more ) and a few neighbors too. :p If I drank some, the POLICE surely would've been called. :D
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Just winding down. Had rig well over 100db at a couple points tonight. Nice to have the horsepower when called on. SVS was makin them bounce.

Happy New Year all!
  • joecoulson wrote: »
    Just winding down. Had rig well over 100db at a couple points tonight. Nice to have the horsepower when called on. SVS was makin them bounce.

Happy New Year all!

Whadja say!?

Happy new year!
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited January 2020
    Tony M wrote: »
    At around 7:30 to 8:30 or later, I cranked the old JVC and RTA12B's up loud enough for me ( around 90dbs or more ) and a few neighbors too. :p If I drank some, the POLICE surely would've been called. :D

Good ro hear you are enjoying those 12B. Mine will not leave me until I die.

I've had my system up pretty loud a few times. When I want to go for sheer SPL and feel the music, I put the HTR in 7 channel stereo with the mains on the TFM45 and my subs on a Behringer 3,000 watt amp. I cut the bass to the 12B for nothing lower than 90 hz. The LSIM 704c (or is it a 703c? It has the 5 1/4 drivers, not the 6.5) gets 100 hz and up as well as the Polk RM7500 sats and the in ceiling Yamahas.

Here is a video of the out side of my house. There is a storm shutter on a small window for the room with my system in it. I was not playing very loud this particular night. The shutter bolts are tight. I went to check because a neighbor across the street said there was a loud noise comming from my well pump (Irrigation water) under that window.
    Please paeson the heavy breathing in the video. I was getting over a horrible sinus infection.

earjtdyifr6e.jpg

https://youtu.be/lPFVbML3UyY
  • Tony M
    edited January 2020
    Dang that must've been awesome! Live Club SPLs. 126dbs :o:DB)

I can't see me letting these go either. ;) Thank you Chris! B)

I've heard termites don't like vibrations. I've had them invade my cottage a couple of times and I killed the ones in the studs and poured killer on the plates pretty heavily but didn't have the ground prodded to kill the queen.

I try to make them go elsewhere every so often by vibrating the building as much as I can for extended periods. Night or day, they never know when it's coming. Their poor little ears...if they have any. >:)
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited January 2020
    Tomorrow I'm going to try and
    Apply some killer vinly wrap on my JBL L3. This will be a practice run before I do the 12B.

This video is of my room before acoustic treatments. The guy that provided all the material and room analysis asked to see a quick video before he drove up from Miami. It was the single best thing I've done to improve the sound quality in that room.

https://youtu.be/aH33-C9dNik

7o72r3v1868h.jpg

This is the wrap I'm going to use.

• Tony M
    edited January 2020
    NICE.

I've just watched the movie "The Green Book" twice in the past few days. Your piano took me right back into that movie. GREAT MOVIE but it shows how bad it was for African Americans back in those years. :'( Only Steinway pianos for Dr. Shirley! ;)B)

Back to your POLK room. NICE.
    I think I see your 12Bs are missing their bases. Is that true?

Also, the JBL L3s your going to re-vinyl are GREAT speakers too.
    I've owned a couple pr. of L5's I think. A pr. of L1s and L3s too. I can spot them a mile away! Yard saleing one day... I joyfully spoke out to my wife..."there's a pr. of JBL L5s in that yard up ahead. I pull up, go ask the man if they were still for sale. Yup. I had to ask how much. 5.00 he said. yup...5.00. I said "for both?". he said yep. I asked "do they work?" yep, they do, he said. They worked alright. They sounded GREAT! $5 :) I think I gave him 20.

I had them for years. Those three models. I forget which pr. I had 2 of but I think the L5s or the L3s. I can look in my record book. I sold one pr. of the L3s to a man who made a center out of 2 of them. He butchered them on the bottoms and re-glued them together. I asked about the tweeters pointing out and he said it was fine for him. If I saw an ad for a set of those L series JBLs for cheap, I'd buy one set of any of them all over again. I always wanted the L7s but didn't really have the money or the AMPLIFIER power to drive them from what I read about what they needed. Good times with those L series! Led Zepplin CDs comes to mind looking back. No Quarter was played a lot back when I had them. B)
  • cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    Absolutely nothing, I haven't touched my rig in about an Year. No changes after I a Parasound HCA 2200II power amp and the PLD 2000 Preamp and decent MIT cables... this is a sweet sounding pairing. According to my hears, it gets the job done :smile:
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    I picked up some ADS L880s locally yesterday. I gave them a listen today in the small room for a couple hours. Once I got though playing around with placement for them, they sounded pretty good.
  • treitz3
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    Today I put The Hornshoppe Great Horned Heils back in my system.
    rwwt1dm3nqvn.jpeg

Is that an old tube amp from an organ or something sitting in front of the First Watt amp?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    treitz3 wrote: »
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    Today I put The Hornshoppe Great Horned Heils back in my system.
    rwwt1dm3nqvn.jpeg

Is that an old tube amp from an organ or something sitting in front of the First Watt amp?

Tom

Hi Tom,
    It's a little hand built 10wpc pp amp I bought from a guy on EBay a couple years ago. It uses 6aq5's,6x4's,and 12ax7's. It drives the horns pretty well.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • treitz3
    Gotcha. Thanks. Nice lookin' rig ya' got there.

What speakers are the blue tape for?

Tom
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    indyhawg wrote: »
    I picked up some ADS L880s locally yesterday. I gave them a listen today in the small room for a couple hours. Once I got though playing around with placement for them, they sounded pretty good.

FWIW, and not that you asked and not that you may even be interested in my opinions! :| But I thought (think) that the L-710 and L-810 are quite a bit better sounding than the L-780 and L-880. I got a gorgeous pair of L-780s, in their boxes, from a coworker years back. A few listens comparing them to my dump-find L-710s... and I sold the L-780s for what I paid for them. And all y'all know I don't get rid of much.

Haven't heard an L-880 for many, many, many years... but I reckon it would be the case for that one, too (and... heh... also FWIW, I like the L-710 better than the L-810, which I always found a little thick sounding, relatively speaking).

Not that any of this matters one whit, but I still felt moved to share it.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    edited January 2020
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Gotcha. Thanks. Nice lookin' rig ya' got there.

What speakers are the blue tape for?

Tom
    Well......the blue tape is where the horns were the last time I set them up. I just can't leave well enough alone! I guess I'll move the tape in a few years when the speakers settle in their final resting place. :#
    Thanks for the compliment!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    6AQ5s are very nice little output tubes for hifi -- essentially a 6V6 in a 7 pin miniature envelope -- with virtually zero audiophile cachet*

mhardy6647 wrote: »
    6AQ5s are very nice little output tubes for hifi -- essentially a 6V6 in a 7 pin miniature envelope -- with virtually zero audiophile cachet*

That's what the builder told me. He was a great guy to deal with. I fire it up every few months,and run it for a couple weeks. It's sounds pretty good to these ears.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    indyhawg wrote: »

FWIW, and not that you asked and not that you may even be interested in my opinions! :| But I thought (think) that the L-710 and L-810 are quite a bit better sounding than the L-780 and L-880. I got a gorgeous pair of L-780s, in their boxes, from a coworker years back. A few listens comparing them to my dump-find L-710s... and I sold the L-780s for what I paid for them. And all y'all know I don't get rid of much.

Haven't heard an L-880 for many, many, many years... but I reckon it would be the case for that one, too (and... heh... also FWIW, I like the L-710 better than the L-810, which I always found a little thick sounding, relatively speaking).

Not that any of this matters one whit, but I still felt moved to share it.

Gee.....thanks for raining on a parade.
  • treitz3
    TEAforONE, I don't know your real name (I guess 'cause you are somewhat new 'round here) but If you would indulge my thinking out loud here...

I have had systems that were over 3800 or 4200 watts total. Rigs that would easily make the lights blink with the heavy transients. That just depended on the day and the constantly revolving setup on the rig way back when. Some of the most fun I have had in my audio journey was with a little 8 watt tube amp and a set of Focal Chorus 807V's. IIRC, it was a Radii (sp?) tube amp. Nothing extraordinarily special...

While it was/is nowhere near where I am at today with regards to the main rig? I do hold a very soft spot for that simple little setup. It was fun, a complete pleasure to listen too and there are a lot of aspects that I still miss with that little ol' measly 8 watts.

Paired right? Simply awesome.

Looks to me you have it paired right. You may have given me interest in pulling that amp back out and repairing it. Years ago, I smelled something burning while I was cooking. Well, it wasn't my cooking that I smelled. It was a resistor inside of that amp that to this day, I still miss.

Rock on brother.

Tom