What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• I swapped out the 5ar4 rectifier tube to a 5U4GB,and a OD3 regulator to a OC3,in my Aric Audio Unlimited pre amp on the recommendation of an agon poster,and Aric. If you have one of these pre's,I highly recommended this swap. Pure magic.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited December 2019
    So, a 5U4 will have a slightly higher peak inverse voltage rating, but a higher voltage drop, and lower capacity to deliver power (i.e., lower plate current rating) compared to a 5AR4 -- I take it that the Aric Audio Unlimited (whatever that is) doesn't need the extra performance capabilities of a 5AR4? ...'cause if it does, it might not be very happy with a 5U4 in there(?)

https://300guitars.com/articles/rectifier-tube-voltage-drop-chart/
    http://www.fourwater.com/files/fullrect.txt

• @scottfox Absolutely! The quality of DAC makes a huge difference and I'm assuming you went from the computer's soundcard's DAC to an external USB one, which is the biggest jump you will observe. Believe it or not, higher end external USB DAC's will result in further improvements in noise reduction, jitter reduction, musicality of presentation, etc.. I have a modest DAC compared to most people here (gotta start somewhere) with an iFi nano idsd DAC. I got a huge improvement by adding an iPurifier3 and, to a lesser extent, an iDefender with a low noise external iPower power supply. The iPurifier3 does what some much higher quality DAC's and higher end regenerators do in that it regenerates and reclocks the USB signal resulting in a much cleaner, smoother, and musical sound.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    edited December 2019
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    So, a 5U4 will have a slightly higher peak inverse voltage rating, but a higher voltage drop, and lower capacity to deliver power (i.e., lower plate current rating) compared to a 5AR4 -- I take it that the Aric Audio Unlimited (whatever that is) doesn't need the extra performance capabilities of a 5AR4? ...'cause if it does, it might not be very happy with a 5U4 in there(?)

https://300guitars.com/articles/rectifier-tube-voltage-drop-chart/
    That's why Aric had me replace the OD3,with an OC3,due to the voltage dip. Aric Audio is a small shop in MA. Reasonable price,high quality stuff. At least in my opinion.
    The "Unlimited " is one of his preamps. If I could figure it out,I would post a link. It would make things so much easier.
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2019
    Don't know it/him.
    http://aricaudio.com/tube_gear.php

For a preamp, which should have modest P/S demands, it probably doesn't matter what's in there... but the 5AR4 was a super-duper HV fullwave rectifier, developed for high-power, high-performance hifi (and fairly late in the vacuum tube era, too). Plus, good ones are 'spensive (and most of the current production 5AR4s are more or less junky). 5U4s are a dime a dozen (in fact, I can send you a couple if you want to play with -- and you're in the US :) Just PM me).

"We" sometimes substitute rectifiers with more voltage drop as a quick & dirty workaround to the typically higher AC mains voltage of today vs. the 1950s (it takes some of the strain off of vintage hifi components, which might otherwise push, e.g., output tubes too hard). Gee-tar amp buffs tend to like some sag in their amp
    P/S, but they're into creative uses of distortion (and compression), which we generally like to avoid in hifi.

Still, lots of designers/builders out there with all kinds of ideas!
    Pretty 'stiff' P/S design for what looks to be a pretty simple preamp -- I would guess the 5U4 loosens things up a bit and may well sound better.

EDIT: The photos on the site show a Sovtek 5AR4. Did you have a good one (vintage Mullard) in yours, or a current production 5AR4? If the latter, that may be why the 5U4 sounds better, too. :|

d907gnnhb2cn.png

It is cool it has a built-in phono preamp for that low price.

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Ivan??? Do tell
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Ivan??? Do tell

Snitches get stitches I'll never give it up ...

What are we talking about ?
  • mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Don't know it/him.
    http://aricaudio.com/tube_gear.php

For a preamp, which should have modest P/S demands, it probably doesn't matter what's in there... but the 5AR4 was a super-duper HV fullwave rectifier, developed for high-power, high-performance hifi (and fairly late in the vacuum tube era, too). Plus, good ones are 'spensive (and most of the current production 5AR4s are more or less junky). 5U4s are a dime a dozen (in fact, I can send you a couple if you want to play with -- and you're in the US :) Just PM me).

"We" sometimes substitute rectifiers with more voltage drop as a quick & dirty workaround to the typically higher AC mains voltage of today vs. the 1950s (it takes some of the strain off of vintage hifi components, which might otherwise push, e.g., output tubes too hard). Gee-tar amp buffs tend to like some sag in their amp
    P/S, but they're into creative uses of distortion (and compression), which we generally like to avoid in hifi.

Still, lots of designers/builders out there with all kinds of ideas!
    Pretty 'stiff' P/S design for what looks to be a pretty simple preamp -- I would guess the 5U4 loosens things up a bit and may well sound better.

EDIT: The photos on the site show a Sovtek 5AR4. Did you have a good one (vintage Mullard) in yours, or a current production 5AR4? If the latter, that may be why the 5U4 sounds better, too. :|

d907gnnhb2cn.png

It is cool it has a built-in phono preamp for that low price.

I only used the Sovtek that Aric provided,so no experience with anything else. The 5AR4 was replaced with a 5U4GB. As I understand it,there is also a 5U4 (no GB)? He said DO NOT USE A 5U4. That he said would cause problems. Now you must know,I have about zero technical knowledge. I figured if the guy that built this suggested the swap,explained how I could make it happen,and also talked about how the sound might be effected. I figured I'd give it a whirl,and I'm glad I did.
    The pre I have does not have a phono stage,as I already had one,and I run a mc cart. I found out about his gear on one of the other forums,and purchased one of his early pre's.(which I still own) I think his stuff sounds great,he's great to deal with,and I can actually afford some of his products!
  • mhardy6647
    The 5U4GB is rated for 275 mA plate current, the GA was only rated for 250 mA, and the "G" ("G" stands for "Glass" -- there was no unsuffixed version per se and AFAIK), which was a 5Z4 with an octal base, was only rated for 225 mA.
    Apparently there was a metal 5U4 'variant', but its type designation was 5T4.

That's
    why the designer/builder says to use the GB if you're not going to use a 5AR4.

• Hey guys! @rocray , the 5U4GB (not 5U4 or 5U4G) can safely be used in the Unlimited as the first filter cap it requires can be no larger than 40uf, whereas the 5U4 is much lower (the Unlimited uses 33 uf). Using it will lower the B+ voltage just a bit, so just make sure the regulators light consistently. If you find they are going out, then use one OC3 and one OD3 when the 5U4GB is in place. I agree with Tube Power on his choice for a favorite 5U4GB. For 5AR4s I’ve only ever used new production- either the Sovtek, Tung Sol or Mullard reissues all sound really good! Best, Aric

Here was part of our conversation on Agon. This is all way above my pay grade.
  • mhardy6647
    Ahh, so he uses a big input filter. That's the deal.
    Thanks.
  • At some point I'll try a different/better? 5AR4,but the 5U4GB,OC3 combo sounds so good.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Started catching up on all of the new albums I have....one, right after the other.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3 wrote: »
    Started catching up on all of the new albums I have....one, right after the other.

Tom
    What have you been playing?
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    What have you been playing?

Mark Knopfler, 3 new albums from Chris Stapleton, Eva Cassidy and a couple of new ones from Vince Gill. Enjoyable day.

Never knew Chris Stapleton until I heard him on the speakers at a bar while I was eating pizza. I heard something about "Tenesssee Whisky and Strawberry wine", so I looked it up on the phone while I was there 'cuz I really dug the song....or what I could hear of it. Daggum place was noisy!

Went home and played all CS songs on Tidal and got to liking his style and voice. Liked him so much, I bought three of his albums right off the bat. Glad I did.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    CS is some good listening. Wish we had that in common when you were down.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    CS's "the Traveler" album won a ton of awards when it came out. B) I heard him sing and play during those award shows, liked it, and still want to get that CD for sure. I'm sure the others are just as nice. Talented fellow, he is! ;)

Song-writer extraordinaire! ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Vince Gill is not shabby either. He is a great guitar player.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Vince Gill is not shabby either. He is a great guitar player.

Vince Gill is an extremely talented musician. Getting his start way back with Pure Prairie League.

At one time he was invited to join a little group called Dire Straits, but declined so he could continue his Solo Career, although he did set in on their final Studio Recording of 'On Every Street'.

He is the second guitar on 'Fade to Black' and 'You and your Friend' amount others.

• mhardy6647
    edited December 2019

Vince Gill is an extremely talented musician. Getting his start way back with Pure Prairie League.
    I did not know that.

At one time he was invited to join a little group called Dire Straits, but declined so he could continue his Solo Career, although he did set in on their final Studio Recording of 'On Every Street'.

He is the second guitar on 'Fade to Black' and 'You and your Friend' amount others.
    well, that's remarkable -- I mean, given that they were a bunch of Brits, bad dentition and all... :)
    Mark Knopfler definitely has good taste -- he had Ruth Moody with him on at least one tour :) I loves me some Ruth Moody.

gp5u51guofh9.png

He (Gill) is a heck of a guitarist and an entertaining performer overall.

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited December 2019
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    well, that's remarkable -- I mean, given that they were a bunch of Brits, bad dentition and all... :)
    Mark Knopfler definitely has good taste -- he had Ruth Moody with him on at least one tour :) I loves me some Ruth Moody.

gp5u51guofh9.png

He (Gill) is a heck of a guitarist and an entertaining performer overall.

I guess seeing and hearing Gills reasons as to why he didn't join the group might tell the story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCloCqw-ZXw

And yes, Ruth Moody has the voice of an Angel. 'Wherever I Go' is probably my favorite track on 'Tracker'

Post edited by Mike Reeter on
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Ruth Moody coming round in my neck of the woods on March 12 - definitely attending.
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2019
    Her singing can reduce me to tears; listen to her soar as she pines "Calling all angels" near the end of the Wailin Jennys version of Jane Siberry's Calling All Angels on Live at Mauch Chunk Opera House. I am getting chills just typing this.

Ahem on topic -- the aforementioned Jennys' album sounds really good, too. Your hifi will thank you for playing it. :)

• Unboxed a pair of RCA 6SN7GTB and Sylvania 6SN7GTB for the Rogue 99 pre.
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    phipiper10 wrote: »
    Unboxed a pair of RCA 6SN7GTB and Sylvania 6SN7GTB for the Rogue 99 pre.

Nice! Post some pics! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • treitz3 wrote: »

Never knew Chris Stapleton until I heard him on the speakers at a bar while I was eating pizza. I heard something about "Tenesssee Whisky and Strawberry wine", so I looked it up on the phone while I was there 'cuz I really dug the song....or what I could hear of it. Daggum place was noisy!

Went home and played all CS songs on Tidal and got to liking his style and voice. Liked him so much, I bought three of his albums right off the bat. Glad I did.

Tom

Thanks for sharing. I did not hear about Chris Stapleton either till I saw your post. And like you, I really liked his voice and music.

• Spiked my fully modded SDA -1cs. Turntable , Tubes and fully modded SDA s lifes good.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    rebelsoul wrote: »
    Spiked my fully modded SDA -1cs. Turntable , Tubes and fully modded SDA s lifes good.

Sweet! Post some pics! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.