• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Ok, I have a new one to add to the short list now thanks to @vr3

Haim - Summer Girl

Great track - thanks Trey!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,937
    Oh yeah, incredible imaging
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    The Robert Palmer trilogy - Sailin' Shoes, Hey Hey Julia, Snealin' Sally....
    Has vocals, acoustic, electric, bass
    [
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    miner wrote: »

Plus it is tonnes of fun. :)
  • Well, I do not know if these would be considered reference tracks, but Barcelona Gypsy band is pretty good. I like their music. Probably don't understand a damn thing that they say in their songs, but music is pretty good. Another band is Pink Martini, especially the one called Amado Mio....
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,973
    miner wrote: »
    We heard ya the first time (on the first page of this thread) :D Just ribbing ya. Those songs are definitely not what I think of when I think of Robert Palmer (I think of his MTV videos and stint with Power Station), but I have enjoyed listening to the songs you mentioned, and reading about his 'eclectic' style over the years. He passed too soon :(
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,080
    Great thread!

Here's a list of tracks from some of the NY Audio Rave Cd's

Wynton Marsalis Quartet - "Feeling Of Jazz" (The Magic Hour)

The Bad Plus - " Keep The Bugs Off Your Glass, And The Bears Off Your ****" (These Are The Vistas)

Bozzio, Levin, Stevens - "Duende" (Black Light Syndrome)

Ben Harper - "Gold To Me" (Fight for Your Mind)

Morphine - "Buena" (Cure for Pain)

Nils Lofgren - "Keith Don’t Go" (Acoustic Live)

Mino Cinelu - "Oncoming Horizons" (Mino Cinelu)

Copland - "Fanfare For The Common Man" (Copland: Appalachian Spring; Rodeo; Fanfare for the Common Man -Louis Lane, and Atlanta Symphony Orchestra on Telarc)

Ben Vaughn - “Too Happy” (Designs in Music)

Rimsky-Korsakov - “Dance Of The Tumblers” (Eiji Oue/ Minnesota Orch.)

Dean Peer -“Mars” (Think...It's All Good)

Weather Report - "Confians" (Sportin' Life)

Bernadette Peters - "Blackbird" (I'll Be Your Baby Tonight)

ZZ Top - ""La Grange" (Tres Hombres)
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • VR3
    @joecoulson

Add London grammar - hey now

You will love the bass and vocals
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Oh and eskmo cloudlight if you are an electronic fan.., bass and imaging like you wouldn't believe
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    I will add:

Ryuchi Sakamoto - Left Handed Dream (whole album). You need the “European version” though....

Gary Numan - Pleasure Principle whole album

Anything by Vangelis

Anything by the Talking Heads

Anything by Dire Straights
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • GlennDog wrote: »
    Great thread!

Dean Peer -“Mars” (Think...It's All Good)

I agree regarding Dean Peer and his base guitar. Some unusual stuff.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • BDT
    BDT Posts: 212
    Pretty much anything with Eva Cassidy......Particularly Nightbird LP.

If a rig gets her voice right....that's what I'm looking for.

BDT
  • jdjohn
    Eva...gone too soon. There is no better test for female vocals.

I want to add Bruce Springsteen's "The River" title track. It was basically recorded in a gym with mattresses on the walls...and sounds like it. Embrace that, and listen for it.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • jdjohn
    Civil Wars "My Father's Father":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGwnFz_5xRE
  • VR3
    Chocolate chip trip, imaging awesomeness aside, the drums sound flat out incredible
  • joecoulson
    Agree completely
    That is a clear number two of the best tracks on the album. With Invincible taking the cake.
  • joecoulson
    I also think that Dave Grohls “Play” is a great track for drums and riffs. It gets a little muddled in the highest dynamic parts, but what a great recording.
  • VR3
    Will have to check those two out
  • BjornB17
    BjornB17 Posts: 752
    VR3 wrote: »
    Will have to check those two out

Hey, do you still sell crossovers for RTiA's?
    KEF Q150 | Rythmik F12 | Yamaha Aventage RX-A780
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Puscifer has some great sounding recordings.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,639
    Yosi Horikawa - Vapor...pretty much the whole album.
    He uses a lot of natural sounds in his tracks and it images incredibly.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    VR3 wrote: »
    Chocolate chip trip, imaging awesomeness aside, the drums sound flat out incredible

You should hear it live! :D
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • jdjohn
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Puscifer has some great sounding recordings.
    Yeah, the title track of The Humbling River should give your sub a workout with the timpani drums.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,297
    If you want to stretch the legs of a DTS enabled system, this disc is outstanding. Impeccably recorded, an active surround mix, solid and punchy bass line, and a varied style throughout.

j3lj6i8pmpua.jpeg
    5nu5lmwzsb54.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Great thread!

Weather Report - "Confians" (Sportin' Life)
    I was going through this thread and saw this. Brings back memories. I bought the Sportin' Life album on vinyl back in college when it first released. I remember the hook from that song... Prye, prye, prye - o. Prye, prye, prye-oo.

Been a weather report fan for years, I saw them live about a year prior on the Domino Theory tour. They blew my mind!

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • joecoulson
    My mom turned me on to WR - Birdland in the early 80's - fond memories of dancing around the living room as a kid
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,189
    Please forgive me if you think that this is inappropriate, Joe. I just so happened to be looking for some older threads that were based upon "Reference" type songs and ran across these three. I figured I'd just add them here since they are all still somewhat "on topic".

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/146876/one-song-and-your-system/p1

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/120609/the-most-dynamic-well-recorded-music-you-have-heard-to-date/p1

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/62984/best-live-album-recorded-albums-youve-heard

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • joecoulson
    Only your boots on my carpet was inappropriate Tom :D

I welcome the addition of info as it directly relates to the topic at hand!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    edited January 2020
    Just read through this ol' thread in a (perhaps vain) attempt to make sure I don't repeat myself! :p

Nice trip down memory lane, this thread.

The topic got me to thinkin' about audio flashbulb memories -- hifi experiences that are aurally and/or visually/sensually (so to speak) burned into some nonvolatile RAM in my age-addled consciousness :) -- and I thought of one that I hadn't for a long time.

I have a flashbulb memory of hearing this on a full Edgarhorn system (including Dr. Edgar's phonebooth-sized Seismic subwoofer). Jerry Douglas, with Steve Earle on vocals. A brilliant performance and recording of a tremendous old (1958) Johnny Cash song.

https://youtu.be/BpslzuhXrtk

Seek out a copy.
    (IMO, of course. YMMV)
  • joecoulson
    Bump here as I in the middle of testing
    Fantastic song

qm7yuf7arjqv.png