Reference tracks

Comments

• Tony M wrote: »
    I JUST used some tracks off of George Michael's "Faith Album" while demoing some speakers an old friend, who visited a couple of weeks ago, was interested in. :) B)

I have this on original pressing vinyl. Very good recordings.
  • I love the passion on this thread. The gear is great, but what’s it all worth if not for wonderful music.
  • SCompRacerSCompRacer Posts: 6,952
    edited September 19
    Sergio Mendes - Brasileiro.

This one is fun and features percussion. It will make gals get up and dance. Available on CD also. My fav track, Magalenha with volume at 11. About forty some seconds in.

5vkpzsio2203.jpg

Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 11,475
    tonyb wrote: »
    Ray Charles and Natalie Cole “Fever” from the Genius loves company album.
    96difsq63b9w.jpeg

Good one....he sings Elton's song, better than Elton. Man injects soul into every piece on that recording.

All while being sick at the same time. It an incredible piece of work.
    I'm gonna send a shout out to @gmcman for helping me realize Peter Gabriel's SO album sounds WAAAYY better on SACD than it does on CD.
    (even HE was kinda surprised at the difference we heard)

All of Peter Gabriel's stuff on SACD is good stuff. The last few years they have skyrocketed in price. I wish i would of bought them years earlier now.

halo wrote: »

Happiness is Easy (The Colour of Spring)

Four real live percussionists, Hollis's nasally vocals, a closely mic'd bass fiddle ~ 1:37 in, Stevie Winwood on the organ, a children's choir....lots to offer.

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

• steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 18,416
    edited September 20
    I have about a dozen of the instrumental "Lifescapes" CD's from Target. They are all "DDD" and very well engineered. All different genres of music from Native American, Jazz, Tropical, Classical, and even Cajun. They are usually found by the Hallmark cards section. There's a smooth jazz one I use a lot for testing speakers.
    Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD | Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2L | Power Amp: Parasound Halo A21 | Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 | Cables: Signal Cable XLR; Kimber 8VS Bi-Wire; Belden 1694A Dig Coax | AC Power: Panamax M5300-PM
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 4,755
    Agree with Steve, I bought a couple used on eBay because of his recommendation. I don’t like the style of the smooth jazz album, but the SQ is excellent. I actually really like the Native American one. The double bass is awesome...
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio Nova Integrated; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Emit 10 + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; LG UP870 4K BDP

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; Audiosource Amp Two, PSB Imagine B, Boston VR-10 center, NHT Super One CI surrounds, ACI Titan subwoofer, Squeezebox Touch
    SCompRacer wrote: »

Four real live percussionists, Hollis's nasally vocals, a closely mic'd bass fiddle ~ 1:37 in, Stevie Winwood on the organ, a children's choir....lots to offer.

Dang I need to get up there and sit in the sweet spot... If Jasper lets me:)
  • halohalo Posts: 4,483
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Those InnerSound hybrid ESL’s are living with @BlueMDPicker now :)
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Those InnerSound hybrid ESL’s are living with @BlueMDPicker now :)

Yep i know it's Salks now.
  • For those of you into EDM, I love the artist Anoraak. Great imaging and sounds.
    Of course, that’s not everyone’s cup of tea.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,965
    edited September 20
    Rockers Hi-Fi - Going Under (Main Version) (K&D Session™)

On vinyl: https://www.turntablelab.com/products/kruder-dorfmeister-the-k-d-sessions-180g-vinyl-5lp
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,580
    edited September 20
    Not sure it really qualifies as music, but the Blue Man Group Audio CD is fun to listen to on a capable hifi.

g0xnuh8bamgo.png

The track called Synaesthetic is a good one to play if you want to check for loose screws on loudspeakers -- and if a copy of Jennifer Warnes' The Hunter (specifically, the track Way Down Deep) isn't handy. :)

m3h4ev5efdkn.png

EDIT: The back cover image from the BMG CD is... amusing :)

xks710a0gbxy.png
    Here, hold my beer so I can grab this chandelier. Roll tape!

m245blqcjv9e.png
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 6,519
    I used to use a Blue Man Group musical piece to demo my SRS2's to show people what AWSOME speakers sound like and are capable of. The music starts off slowly and then builds to a crescendo of BASS that hits you in the chest and makes you smile a big smile of WOW. :D B)

I guess a SVS or HRS subwoofer in the mix would take you there also. :D B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • I never can say a certain song, due to that fact its the recording (engineering) that makes any song stand out or sucks. There has been great songs on vinyl, but did not transfer well to CD or some other format. And the same can be said in the other direction where vinyl was just ok then digital made it jump out of your speakers.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:
    Vizio P55-E1UHD Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Pioneer Elite N-50 Panamax M5300-EX
    Living room 2ch:
    Integra ADM 2.1 Teac EQ MKII Squeezebox Touch Fluance SX Speakers Panamax M5100-EX
    Upstairs media room:
    Vizio D1 32" Pioneer Elite VSX 32 Sony PS4 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio Rti 6's fronts Polk CSR Center Polkaudio PSW 10 sub Panamax M5300-EX
    Master bedroom:
    Vizio VF550M Pioneer Elite VSX 33 Pioneer Elite BDP 80FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio Monitor 40 II fronts, Rears Optimus LX5s Jensen CCS center Polkaudio PSW 10 sub Panamax 5100
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I'm gonna send a shout out to @gmcman for helping me realize Peter Gabriel's SO album sounds WAAAYY better on SACD than it does on CD.
    (even HE was kinda surprised at the difference we heard)

All of Peter Gabriel's stuff on SACD is good stuff. The last few years they have skyrocketed in price. I wish i would of bought them years earlier now.

Sledgehammer!!!!!!!
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:
    Vizio P55-E1UHD Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Pioneer Elite N-50 Panamax M5300-EX
    Living room 2ch:
    Integra ADM 2.1 Teac EQ MKII Squeezebox Touch Fluance SX Speakers Panamax M5100-EX
    Upstairs media room:
    Vizio D1 32" Pioneer Elite VSX 32 Sony PS4 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio Rti 6's fronts Polk CSR Center Polkaudio PSW 10 sub Panamax M5300-EX
    Master bedroom:
    Vizio VF550M Pioneer Elite VSX 33 Pioneer Elite BDP 80FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio Monitor 40 II fronts, Rears Optimus LX5s Jensen CCS center Polkaudio PSW 10 sub Panamax 5100
  • SCompRacer wrote: »

This one is fun and features percussion. It will make gals get up and dance. Available on CD also. My fav track, Magalenha with volume at 11. About forty some seconds in.

5vkpzsio2203.jpg

Great track!!
    joecoulson wrote: »

5vkpzsio2203.jpg

Great track!!

I was there when we played "What is This" through the InnerSound Eros. The bass on that track is great. Carl @schwarcw brought that CD with him IIRC. He also had The Shins and some Emmylou Harris CD''s. Good times.
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,735
    I don't know if I have caught my stride just yet with specific reference tracks. Are there some that I listen to more than often...yes but it changes. How's It Going To Be by Third Eye Blind is pretty damn well recorded in my opinion.
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Polk RTA11TL
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • I don't know if I have caught my stride just yet with specific reference tracks. Are there some that I listen to more than often...yes but it changes. How's It Going To Be by Third Eye Blind is pretty damn well recorded in my opinion.

Exactly why I said that mine’s a moving target.
    What’s funny is when I go through an upgrade spurt like I just have, I rekindle old music flames from years past. I’m listening to Tiesto now from an album I have not heard for over 14 years. Sounds fantastic. Better than I ever remember.
    I don't know if I have caught my stride just yet with specific reference tracks. Are there some that I listen to more than often...yes but it changes. How's It Going To Be by Third Eye Blind is pretty damn well recorded in my opinion.

Is that from the debut album? I never cared for it but one of the BEST drummers I played with in college loved the sound of the drum kit so much that he contacted the drummer and bought the exact same kit...I listened to it recently and it does have good sound quality!
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio Nova Integrated; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Emit 10 + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; LG UP870 4K BDP

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; Audiosource Amp Two, PSB Imagine B, Boston VR-10 center, NHT Super One CI surrounds, ACI Titan subwoofer, Squeezebox Touch
  • The Art of Noise Moments in love.
    The Carpenters greatest DSD download is INCREDIBLE.
    Mine all of Telarc's or Reference Recordings respective catalogs.
    Living room Home theater: Upgrade Company modified Onkyo PR-SC5509,Sunfire Cinema grand Signature 5 channel amp(1st gen),Carver TFM-45,Carver M-400a,Panasonic TC-P50ST60 50" Plasma(last gen before Plasma production stopped)Pioneer Elite DVL-91,Meridian 519 Dolby AC-3 RF Demodulator,Oppo Digital UDP-205,TiVo Bolt VOX,Nakamich BX-300,Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type VxMR cartridge,Polk SDA-SRS 3.1 TL(with RD-0198 tweeters, upgraded with Larry's rings, black hole5,an Avel-Lindberg 1000VA isolation transformer, VR3 customer crossovers and internal wiring),Polk CS-1000P(with SL-6506 tweeter),Polk Monitor 5jr(with RD-0194 tweeters),Polk RT-35i (1),Polk Mini Monitors,Polk PSW150(4)Monster Power HTPS 7000 MKII Signature series,Monster Power AVS 2000 Signature Series,Various MIT,Monster,Upgrade Company and Belden interconnect,power,HDMI,Coax and Toslink Digital and speaker cables.

Bedroom 2 channel system:Integra DTM 40.4,Nakamichi BX-100,TiVo mini,Musical Fidelity X-LPS,X-PSU,Carver TFM-25,Sony KV-34XBR970(last of the widescreen tube sets before production stopped)Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type V MR cartridge,Polk RT-55(with SL-6506 tweeters),Polk PSW-200 in plexiglass(2),Sony Playstation 3 slim.Monster Power HTPS-7000,Monster AVS-2000, PowerVarious Kimber,Audioquest and MIT interconnects and speaker cables.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,965
    Telarc

Best quality classical recordings that I've experienced.
    edited September 21
    Telarc, good stuff....

lkfbgr8p7uvb.jpg

mhardy6647 wrote: »
    -- and if a copy of Jennifer Warnes' The Hunter (specifically, the track Way Down Deep) isn't handy. :)

Got one in my demo rack. B)

dthz3yvka7ud.jpg

• codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,735
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Is that from the debut album? I never cared for it but one of the BEST drummers I played with in college loved the sound of the drum kit so much that he contacted the drummer and bought the exact same kit...I listened to it recently and it does have good sound quality!

Yup debut self titled album. The band as a whole...meh but I like these one hit wonders that take me back to simpler times...being young and all.
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Polk RTA11TL
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Yup debut self titled album. The band as a whole...meh but I like these one hit wonders that take me back to simpler times...being young and all.

Man how old were you when that album came out? must've still been in diapers lol. You've clearly got a MUCH better memory than I do.
    HT Rig:

Master Bedroom
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,208
    edited September 21
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Not sure it really qualifies as music, but the Blue Man Group Audio CD is fun to listen to on a capable hifi.
    g0xnuh8bamgo.png
    I know the drummer Clem Waldman that that played on track 5 "Rods and Cones" and also toured with them. We both played in the Michigan State University Marching band / drumline back in the 80's.
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
    I saw BMG at the Briar Street Theater in Chicago. Great show. I bought the Audio CD after the show. I could’ve purchased the DVD-Audio disc but I wasn’t very audio savvy at the time so I passed on it.